PDA

View Full Version : brakeline fitting problems

11th March 2011, 06:59
I seem to have run into a problem, or multiple problems with the brake lines for my '67 GTV. I ran new lines with all new hardware, matching flares and threads throughout. so far, so good (what idiot approved the non-uniform flares and fittings?). everything is hooked up, and all I need to do in order to go for my first drive is bleed the brakes. Simple.

problem is, the new lines leak. not one or two, all of the SAE flares. I decided my mechanic friend and I just did a bad job flaring all the ends. bummer. now the choice is to buy a really good Flaring tool from eastwood or FedHill, or run pre-flared lines with unions to get the right lengths (my choice). throw in some special adapters so I can switch from din flares to SAE, metric to sae threads, female sae to male sae. now everything is off-the-shelf, although I don't really like all the extra joints. just that many more places to leak. Snug it all up, and what happens? the leaks are still there. the front and rear Tees won't seal, even with the store-bought lines (read perfect flares). removed the tees to inspect, and ALL the flare seats are buggered. I decide to try and polish the seats with valve-lapping compound and a new brake line chucked into a drill. seems to work. Also found some 45 deg copper gaskets designed for sealing SAE flares. might help. while cleaning and inspecting the seats, I find a new problem, possibly the one that started it all. The new tube nuts are threaded all the way to the flare end of the nut. the original nuts are relieved (no threads) for the last 1/8" or so, and the brass T's are not threaded to the end. Looks like I even cut some new threads in tightening the nuts, and the ends of the nuts have rounded threads. appears to be a problem, probably kept the original flares from forming a good seal to the seat.

billiaml
11th March 2011, 16:50
It sounds like you found the problem. At least now you're a big step closer to sorting it out.

I had a '75 Mustang with a similar SAE/Metric mix. The engine was made in Kent -- and the rest of the car was made on this side of the pond. As a result, anything that was bolted directly to the engine was metric -- and everything else was SAE. I'm guessing that your GTV may have been made during a transition period & they hadn't used up all of the SAE parts?

Kneeslider
13th March 2011, 22:30
Just a thought, but did you keep any of the old brake line? Have a look at the old pipes, and you might find that they are fitted with double flares.

I have lost count of the number of vehicles I have plumbed, and never had an issue like that.

If I were you, I would standardise as much as possible, decide upone wether or not you are going to go with metric or imperial, and stick to that all the way through, and have the fewest joints you can get away with. The simplest solution is always the best.

Seems odd that all of the seats for the flares are wrecked though. Are you sure that they were that way before you started?

Mark
14th March 2011, 08:35
This thread is interesting, not because of the topic, but did you notice it was actually spam? I did immediately but then he's technically not breaking any forum rules. But if you google the first line of his post, you'll see it's on dozens (if not more) discussion forums - I doubt he'll be coming back looking for advice anytime soon.

Retro Formula 1
14th March 2011, 10:18
Spam for what though? :confused:

Having fun and games with some brakes myself and have compromised a bit.

Basically I have the exsisting copper lines going to the rears but will leave them as they are for now and just connect them up to a .75 Master. Would be a nightmare to change it until a full stripdown next winter.

The fronts are fed from a 0.7 Master and have just made up some nice new Dash 3 braided hose to a T with integrated brake switch I knicked off a Brabham :D

All fed to a new floor mounted Pedal box with bias adjustment from the dashboard for fine tuning.

Can't wait for a bit of nice weather in April.

Mark
14th March 2011, 10:20
Spam for what though? :confused:

In the hope that you'll click on the link in his signature.

Retro Formula 1
14th March 2011, 10:39
Ahhhh, I see :)

As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University. Guess it's too subtle for a meat head like me :D

billiaml
14th March 2011, 15:50
Lol -- shows how much we read signatures.