PDA

View Full Version : Please Mikko, something different this time!! (an open letter)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Hasselhoax
9th February 2014, 22:59
Mikko
Sweden should've been maybe top three. But this result is far better than a DNF and he will build on it I think.

My thoughts on this
If you were to put Tanak or Bouffier in a manufacturers car we could see the next Loeb. Or they will end up behind some privateer too. It's all about pressure.

It's easy to hit it off one time, in one event. But it seems some can't cope with the extra pressure of beeing in a manufacturers team.

Look at Novikov (to Ford)
Look at Duval (to Citroen)

The list is long. These were just some examples. I'm sure all these guys Tanak, Solberg, Bouffier and Hirvonen are more or less seriously fast. Some of them just need to get their head in the right place. Not competing on every stage with Ogier. Just themselves. Have a bit of fun then the speed comes.

I like to agree with the one who said Mikko has demons in his head which need to be sorted. I don't see how he would have lost his pace just because he's getting older or that he's "finished". There must be more to it.

Problem is that it's these sort of questions that probably run through his head.

One like Ogier hasn't had a really bad rally for long (and he should have credit for that) and he of course has 100 % self confidence. He drives without pressure. If he has a few bad rallys in a row we could see the same thing from him. The moment you start to have mind demons it all goes south.

Look at Grosjean in F1. He almost certainly thought "must not crash in start with a former WDC for the 3rd time in a row".
What happened?

Maybe it would be good for Mikko to step down from M sport and run a privateer car (like Petter did). I think he would be in front of the M sport guys. Then confidence would return.

Just my very personal opinion. If I'm later proven wrong then so be it. I like Hirvonen, think he's a top bloke as are many of the drivers in WRC. I wish him well and it's boring when it becomes a french affair again. Don't get me wrong - the two french have my fullest respect for what they have done. It's mind blowing.

OT
Maybe all the best of the rest need to change their driving style. Ogier and Loeb goes fast but with their style they have a bit of marginal. I feel some push too hard (JML, Mads, Neuville, Hirvonen) and it looks quick but they lose time. Maybe not much but it all adds up in the end?

Franky
9th February 2014, 23:19
I think Mikko's case is the classical big-crash-either-breaks-you-or-makes-you-faster scenario. The Finland crash broke him.

Hasselhoax
9th February 2014, 23:23
Never thought of that. Could be...

COD
9th February 2014, 23:31
what more would someone else achieve ? who could have stopped the greatest of all times ? NONE

Hirvonen just lost his spirit after 2009... it was the end of him as a competitive driver... the only thing i do not like about him is that he quit trying after 2009... maybe he was afraid that he would end up like Gronholm, always trying to beat Loeb and always FAILED.

You missed my point and probably many others. Most of you probably wore diapers back in 2004.

Look back at the results back then and you will understand why he should have never become a regular works driver. He had a few good years thanks to not much cmpetition and lots of testing and time in the car on events. But he has never been blindingy fast and never will be. A good no2 for any team and that is it. Now event that is questionable

N.O.T
9th February 2014, 23:33
i am still wearing diapers...whats wrong with diapers ?? they are perfectly fine...

you still need to answer who was better that Hirvonen back in the days he was works driver at ford (in subaru he was rubbish)..and what could they achieve more ?

dimviii
9th February 2014, 23:38
can t understand all this about Mikko.
Simply his times are gone.
There are no drivers that can stay at their pik performance for so many years.Mikko had his chances,lost them,years passed,finished.
Its very natural,thats happens to all drivers.Ok Loeb was at pik for 10 years,but this is the exception and not the rule.

dimviii
9th February 2014, 23:40
But he has never been blindingy fast and never will be. A good no2 for any team and that is it.

for few years was fast and reliable.I mean the years who was close with Master.

COD
9th February 2014, 23:48
i am still wearing diapers...whats wrong with diapers ?? they are perfectly fine...

you still need to answer who was better that Hirvonen back in the days he was works driver at ford (in subaru he was rubbish)..and what could they achieve more ?

Diaper are good no question there. :D

My point was, at the time he was with Subaru, he was crap. And at THAT time, there were a lot more talented who should have gotten the Ford seAt instead of Mikko. Mikko got it and those others were forgotten, that is why There was only Loed and Mikko was the best of the rest. Had it gone other way, there might have been somebody other that Grönholm who could have challenged Loeb on speed.

stefanvv
9th February 2014, 23:53
The problem is not his speed I think, his motivation to fight seems to be gone, and it's not from 2010 onwards, it began in 2013 I think. Probably he thought he can get an easy title, but it was very wrong... Otherwise he is still young for retirement I believe, how much it is, around 35?

A.F.F.
9th February 2014, 23:55
I have said it many times and I 100% agree with Franky. Mikko got cautious after that crash, was it 2010? And I still think Tommi had the same thing at Argentina. It's understandable if you say; Fcuk this I'm done, when you roll about ten times with your car. Some bonesheads never learnt that like Ari, Colin or Marcus. But we are all different.

Hasselhoax
9th February 2014, 23:55
what more would someone else achieve ? who could have stopped the greatest of all times ? NONE

Hirvonen just lost his spirit after 2009... it was the end of him as a competitive driver... the only thing i do not like about him is that he quit trying after 2009... maybe he was afraid that he would end up like Gronholm, always trying to beat Loeb and always FAILED.

You missed my point and probably many others. Most of you probably wore diapers back in 2004.

Look back at the results back then and you will understand why he should have never become a regular works driver. He had a few good years thanks to not much cmpetition and lots of testing and time in the car on events. But he has never been blindingy fast and never will be. A good no2 for any team and that is it. Now event that is questionable

Well you probably wear diapers for the second time in life then mate. Old age sucks! What's the point in being so aggressive? :)

Maybe the Subaru days were a sign of things to come as you say. But I still believe that it comes down to not having a least bit fun and enjoing it when he drives. So maybe it would be time for a break. Let's see...

Hasselhoax
9th February 2014, 23:57
I have said it many times and I 100% agree with Franky. Mikko got cautious after that crash, was it 2010? And I still think Tommi had the same thing at Argentina. It's understandable if you say; Fcuk this I'm done, when you roll about ten times with your car. Some bonesheads never learnt that like Ari, Colin or Marcus. But we are all different.

Was just about to say Colin and Ari after reading Mcraes biography. You guys really have a point.

makinen_fan
9th February 2014, 23:59

he was faster than the rest! jari matti was crashing too much, dani was really bad in gravel and petter in a privateer car. who else was there?? (henning, wilson, rautenback, vilagra and a young ogier) so with an average controlled pace he easily collected a lot of points

and as RS mentioned above most of these years Seb L was cleaning the road for him

stefanvv
10th February 2014, 00:06
I have said it many times and I 100% agree with Franky.
Yes, possible, but the question really is - "why I'm still doing it, it might happen again any time, pushing hard or not".

COD
10th February 2014, 00:12

he was faster than the rest! jari matti was crashing too much, dani was really bad in gravel and petter in a privateer car. who else was there?? (henning, wilson, rautenback, vilagra and a young ogier) so with an average controlled pace he easily collected a lot of points

and as RS mentioned above most of these years Seb L was cleaning the road for him

+1

A.F.F.
10th February 2014, 00:17
@ stefanvv
Well, if Mikko dropped the from 100% to 90%, the level of recent WRC has been so low that it has been enough to steadily collect podiums and manufacturerpoints. Until couple of last years. I might be wrong, I've known to be wrong a few times ;) But just look at the date this thread started and read the open letter I made.... Suddenly the hunger was gone!!!

dimviii
10th February 2014, 00:31
he was faster than the rest!
yes.The rest was Solberg,Gronholm,Latvala,Ogier,Sordo,Atkinson.

at 2007 13 points less than Gronholm
http://www.ewrc-results.com/season.php?s=2007&nat=

at 2008 19 points less from Loeb
http://www.ewrc-results.com/season.php?s=2008&nat=

at 2009 1 point from Loeb
http://www.ewrc-results.com/season.php?s=2009&nat=

at 2011 8 points less from Loeb and 18 points more from Ogier
http://www.ewrc-results.com/season.php?s=2011&nat=

jari matti was crashing too much, dani was really bad in gravel and petter in a privateer car. who else was there?? (henning, wilson, rautenback, vilagra and a young ogier) so with an average controlled pace he easily collected a lot of points
that was the competition these days,and thats not Mikkos fault.
example...
Ogier last year had competition from who? There weren t any champions,even there wasn t enough,just simple rally winners.Can we say that he was best of the rest for Ogier?
compare with whom was fighting Mikko,and with whom fighting Ogier.
Its not Ogiers fault that there are not so many good drivers.

Mikko wasn t slow at his days.

yes thats right.

Rallyper
10th February 2014, 10:24
Mikko´s speed compared to other drivers during the years is very hard to judge. Statistics is not enough. he was fast in the recent Ford years, he is one of 5 fastest guys at the moment. So what are we crying about. Whom should replace him? Evans? Tanak?

True is, I would say his mind is older and wiser. The Urria-crash and the fact he has a family makes him maybe more careful out there. There are explanation for everything.

But crying he´s finished and should be replaced is not a solution at the time being.

noel157
10th February 2014, 11:07
Hypothetically Tanak would be an excellent choice.

Mintexmemory
10th February 2014, 11:19

But needs to show he's matured enough on other events - Maybe we'll see that in WRC 2 but other WRC rides is the only real yardstick. Too soon to say imo. BTW It will be interesting to see how Elfyn comes back from what I believe is his first major crash - though sadly, he's had major shocks before and not lost his resolve.

N.O.T
10th February 2014, 12:08

Tanak had his chance... how he must prove himself once more if he wants another.

liposh
10th February 2014, 12:18
Mikko is quite fast and he is "point collector". It isn´t bad and each team needs such man. BUT...Few years ago he was that guy who was veery near to beat Loeb and now he isn´t that type of guy. I don´t think it will change during the season.

dimviii
10th February 2014, 12:21

Tanak had his chance... how he must prove himself once more if he wants another.

Greg just imagine if Latvala,Neuville,Ogier had 1 year chance only.
1 year is just not enough, if you want to see the true potential of a new driver imho.
Of course these years there are not factories that they will support such a programm,except if you have deep pockets.

ironseb
10th February 2014, 13:49
Difficult to say with only one season if Tanak is the next Ogier or the next Novikov.

Karukera
10th February 2014, 14:03
To me, it all started with SS8 and 9 of 2009 Wales Rally in a straight fight against Loeb for the title.
He blamed the car for losing 22 sec before Wilson Sr publicly said after service nothing was wrong.
He had the title in his driving.
It was tantalizing and failing at it put him down for a whole year. He actually never recovered despite an excellent 2011 season and a decent 2012 but something was broken.
The massive crash in Finland 10 just piled to that before Ogier took over.

Hirvonen is now cruising for a living.
He manages to maintain a certain level of speed which should ensure him a paid seat and/or attract sponsors.

In his book and interviews, Loeb has more compliments to Hirvonen than any other title contender he had.

ironseb
10th February 2014, 14:14
If he was able to keep Ogier under pressure like he was able with Loeb, I'm not sur that Seb 2 will resists.

N.O.T
10th February 2014, 14:15

Greg just imagine if Latvala,Neuville,Ogier had 1 year chance only.
1 year is just not enough, if you want to see the true potential of a new driver imho.
Of course these years there are not factories that they will support such a programm,except if you have deep pockets.

I agree with that... but all the drivers you mentioned spent a lot of money (or their sponsors) before going to factory cars... if you do not have enough like Tanak then you have to make the best out of everything you get.

I do believe that Tanak, Novikov, Aava had the ability to win stages and rallies in due time but they needed a lot of time and money to do so.

Only Ogier showed that he has the appropriate tools early in his WRC days to be champion.

urabus-denoS2000
10th February 2014, 15:53
My point was, at the time he was with Subaru, he was crap. And at THAT time, there were a lot more talented who should have gotten the Ford seAt instead of Mikko. Mikko got it and those others were forgotten, that is why There was only Loed and Mikko was the best of the rest. Had it gone other way, there might have been somebody other that Grönholm who could have challenged Loeb on speed.

I think one of the reasons he got the 2006 Ford seat are very strong performances with a privateer programme in a Ford in 2005. And I think he deserved the seat, since it was a 2nd seat alongside the 2nd best driver of the decade. Once Gronholm went into retirement, Mikko was fast enough to lead the team. Unfortunately for Ford, I am pretty sure there wasn't a man who would challenge Loeb better at that time than Mikko.

Anyway I expected more from him in Sweden, but at least he proved there is still some speed. But I am afraid, as much as I like Mikko as a character, his best days as a professional rally driver are definitely behind him.

ste898
10th February 2014, 23:25
hirvonen is a very likeable driver

but very sorry to say that he will never win an event and will not be anymore than a 2nd possibly 3rd driver inn a team

he has never been fast and I wonder how long it will take before wilson comes out of the hirvonen dream

Rallyper
11th February 2014, 12:46
As said before: not fast? What is fast. Have you seen Mikko in reality on stages? If you compare to the others he´s one of the fastest. Not the fastest. But still.

So who will replace him at Ford? Which drivers has competence? Mikko still top5 driver in WRC.

janvanvurpa
11th February 2014, 16:55
As said before: not fast? What is fast. Have you seen Mikko in reality on stages? If you compare to the others he´s one of the fastest. Not the fastest. But still.

So who will replace him at Ford? Which drivers has competence? Mikko still top5 driver in WRC.

Herregud Per. Can you do some simple math for these guys who bläddra "Milkko isn't fast"
Remember when all the only eever rallied a key-board on a desk boys were slitting their wrists and shooting themselves because MW was 'wasting a seat' on his son "who was so slooooooooooooooow, oh no!!"

Or when they said same about that crazy Norman who lives in Varmland now--va fan heter han? OH Solhberg!
Do the total minutes os SS in a VM rally and divide the times and you'll see its maybe less than 1% faster from Hirvonen to winner.
Less than 1%---meaning 99.something % as fast.

I ask you because i have to get my girls to school.

A.F.F.
11th February 2014, 19:01
Well, both of you sirs, I've seen Mikko on stages, NORF stages to be in particular. And even the same stages. And even some same locations of the stages. There is one thing I've notice and that is the breaking points. Last year I wasn't at NORF but year before I was spectating and I notice that in the same place Mikko left the breaking latere in previous years, he started not pumping but breaking a bit earlier. If he does that on every curve, we are talking about seconds of loss.

Mirek
11th February 2014, 19:15
Braking later doesn't necessarily mean being faster as You can miss the right point to turn. For example here in CZ Roman Kresta was usually the last one to brake in very brutal way. It made him very spectacular but not always the fastest.

Hasselhoax
11th February 2014, 22:18
I think A.F.F has a good point here with the braking points.

I've only been to NORF to see WRC IRL. If you compare the drivers in the same corner you can clearly see a difference between guys like Ogier or Loeb (one aggressive braking - no more, like in tarmac racing) while the guys brought up on gravel pumps it to get the car where they want it (like you wouldn't know :rolleyes: )

Here JML are the closest to the french in style what I've seen. Mikko tends to pump the brake maybe two-three times too much IMO. I've run a stopwatch from point A (100 m from corner) to point B (end of corner) and you tend to see a tenth or so in difference between top guys and at the same time a clear difference in style. Maybe it's again a question of confidence or too deeply rooted behavior. But it will add up in the end of SS.

How many times have you not heard Mikko or JML say: I can't believe how he (Loeb/Ogier) could be faster?

I will point out that I'm no way near an expert and don't try to tell these great drivers how to and how not, but I've tried adapting the one-point-braking in RBR and it drops my stage times with sometimes a second or two.

I still think Mikko is among the top 5 drivers in WRC. He as the experience and definitely the speed. Put it together and he will win again. Sweden was now in hindsight not bad at all.

Just my two cents...

lewalcindor
11th February 2014, 22:36
Late braking only benefits the driver if he can apply the throttle earlier in the turn with sufficient tire traction on the surface. If you can't apply the throttle effectively, as Mirek stated, it can make you slower than if you had taken a smoother turn at the corner with earlier braking.

That said, I think that Loeb and Ogier have shown that this circuit-based technique has allowed them to consistently drive faster over a variety of surfaces compared with the older rally techniques (such as the Scandanavian Flick and wide drifts through gravel). Also, it's important to remember that the key to any braking technique is not when you apply the brakes, but rather when you release them.

Mirek
11th February 2014, 23:06
I was only once in NORF but the difference I saw between Loeb and basically almost all others including Ogier was different lines. Loeb was (as it was already pointed out) more precise, more straight and less sideways. For example when I was on one rather big corner-jump only Loeb managed to jump straight, all others jumped sideways or not jumped at all.

OgyWRC
12th February 2014, 13:06
Braking is not only speed reduction, more importantly it is a weight transfer. In general the intensity or late braking depends on the corner ... sometimes you need more weight transfer in the "wheel turn moment" at short sharper corners or less weight transfer at longer and faster corners. Late braking may lead to less precise lines, respectively lower speed at the corner end.

Loeb managed to enter slowly slow corners and to accelerate earlier, meanwhile to be more agressive and to carry high speed at high speed curves without excessive weight transfer. Personal opinion ;-)

dimviii
12th February 2014, 13:52
Braking is not only speed reduction, more importantly it is a weight transfer. In general the intensity or late braking depends on the corner ... sometimes you need more weight transfer in the "wheel turn moment" at short sharper corners or less weight transfer at longer and faster corners. Late braking may lead to less precise lines, respectively lower speed at the corner end.

completely agree.

Loeb managed to enter slowly slow corners and to accelerate earlier, meanwhile to be more agressive and to carry high speed at high speed curves without excessive weight transfer. Personal opinion ;-)

that is what i have seen too.To be more precise i would write the same minus the bold word.

Coach 2
12th February 2014, 23:54

Do I now you? :D

OgyWRC
13th February 2014, 11:50
It's an off topic, but interesting to know ;-)

We have tested different driving techniques at snow track (relatively slow one 2-3 gear) with FWD car. First run - sideways everywhere, 2 run - clean driving (grandmother style) => exactly the same lap time! Being in the car or watching outside we had the feeling that the sideways "racing" style is much faster, but in reality it was not. So, you have to test your driving technique against the stopwatch ;-) On the other hand, putting the car sideways usually brings you more confidence on snow and makes you feel fast, until you compare you time with the time of someone with name Sebastien ;-)

A.F.F.
13th February 2014, 22:12
Marcus Grönholm told in an interview that while he was driving for Peugeot, laptop guys told that racing style, later known as Loeb-style of approach to cornering is the fastest way. Marcus was faster with sideways. He said the same thing as OgyWRC. The best way for you is the fastest one.

jonkka
15th February 2014, 07:49
The best way for you is the fastest one.

I would be a bit more specific.

The best way for you is the fastest one for you. However, if guy in the other car can drive in another, faster way, then he'll be faster than you, even in equal car. Also, I remember reading that Gronholm learned to drive nose first in big-bonnet Celica and thus his driving style would have been different from traditional Finns. I never analyzed this on the stages so you tell me if that's so.

litifeta
15th February 2014, 08:49
Mikko is my pick for Mexico

Mintexmemory
15th February 2014, 11:26

Fortunately the Pickems competition isn't a self-imposed handicap contest, but feel free to go right ahead
;)

Rallyper
15th February 2014, 14:12

He sure could win, I´d like that to be the outcome. But I do believe something has to happen to the Polo boys.

RS
15th February 2014, 15:08

He sure could win, I´d like that to be the outcome. But I do believe something has to happen to the Polo boys.

In other words you only believe in a Mikko victory if his rivals have problems?

Rallyper
15th February 2014, 15:37

In other words you only believe in a Mikko victory if his rivals have problems?

Yepp, for the time being. Maybe only JML and Seb. Otherwise the Mexican round will be between Mikko and Mads.

COD
15th February 2014, 19:26

For 5th place?. :D

Mintexmemory
16th February 2014, 09:38

On the evidence of the first 2 rounds that's a fair assessment
1-2 Polos 3-4 Citroens 5 Mikko (unless Thierry decides not to throw it into the scenery this time) Evans 6 or 7
I won't speculate further or I'd have to move the post to Pickem discussion :arrowed:

Rallyper
16th February 2014, 13:29

On the evidence of the first 2 rounds that's a fair assessment
1-2 Polos 3-4 Citroens 5 Mikko (unless Thierry decides not to throw it into the scenery this time) Evans 6 or 7
I won't speculate further or I'd have to move the post to Pickem discussion :arrowed:

Evans on 6 th would be biggest sensation...

A.F.F.
4th April 2014, 19:30
Woot???! Not having seen any footage nor news about this day but still, Mikko leading after leg one! Well this is refreshing :)

Rallyper
4th April 2014, 19:44
Hanaa Mikko!!!

cali
5th April 2014, 00:44
Seeing the enthusiasm here I can conclude that there's many Mikko fans out there, but they have been dissapointed by his lackluster efforts so far. I'm one of those and today genuinely happy to see Mikko leading a rally :)

RS
3rd August 2014, 15:15
Time to revive this thread again?

Plus nearly three minutes on his home rally..

Is he contracted for next year?

N.O.T
3rd August 2014, 15:22
His time is over... He would have been champion multiple times even but he hit the iceberg called Loeb... pity.

Time to join the long list of never beens.

stefanvv
3rd August 2014, 15:27
Sad to say, but I can agree he is ended in WRC.

Frostmourne
3rd August 2014, 15:29
Time to revive this thread again?

Plus nearly three minutes on his home rally..

Is he contracted for next year?

In the second day of NORF live event, BT sport channel commentator said that this might be the last season for Mikko in WRC, sourcing Finnish tabloid newspapers.

GigiGalliNo1
3rd August 2014, 15:51
ouch...

AndyRAC
3rd August 2014, 16:02
Before the event I thought he might challenge for the podium; but it never looked likely. Miles away from it.

RAS007
3rd August 2014, 17:39
Before the event I thought he might challenge for the podium; but it never looked likely. Miles away from it.

Agreed. Mikko's time is almost up. I don't think he has been helped by M-Sport's lack of ambition. It is clear they are not interested in winning, or even being competitive, just selling cars.

MJW
3rd August 2014, 19:38
In the second day of NORF live event, BT sport channel commentator said that this might be the last season for Mikko in WRC, sourcing Finnish tabloid newspapers.
Is Mikko the 'current Nordic / Scandinavian WRC star" thats rumoured to be jointing World Rally X next year?

Miika
3rd August 2014, 19:47
Is Mikko the 'current Nordic / Scandinavian WRC star" thats rumoured to be jointing World Rally X next year?

I thought that would be Henning? ( :D )

stefanvv
3rd August 2014, 20:07

TBH he better stays in WRC

focus206
3rd August 2014, 22:02
His time is over... He would have been champion multiple times even but he hit the iceberg called Loeb... pity.

Time to join the long list of never beens.
I'm sorry for him, but it's true... he'll probably be remembered as the biggest one of the never beens, 4 times 2nd in the championship final standings (even if only twice fighting for the title)

dimviii
5th August 2014, 00:12
Mikko Hirvonen @MikkoWRC · 7 ώρες
@OpensTightens @TimoAnis @voiceofrally looks like the journalists has decided to end my career before I have :-)

EightGear
6th August 2014, 18:35
Malcolm isn't happy either.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115305

makinen_fan
6th August 2014, 18:56
Harsh words there but understandable. The last time I remember Wilson making such comments was about Tanak's performance and all the crashing in the middle of 2012.
I would say it is bye bye for Mikko

on a side note, was Malcom Wilson in Finland?

SubaruNorway
6th August 2014, 19:09

Henning is already in WRX driving the Per Eklund Saab and taking over Liam Dooran's DS3 in Canada since he lost his license for yelling at marshals when his dad's Ford RS200 was burning up at Lydden Hill.

COD
6th August 2014, 23:19
Malcolm isn't happy either.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115305

Classic Wilson, but he is right of course. But for me it seems that none of the drivers are enjoying enough these days, they are so serious all the time...

GravettFan99
7th August 2014, 02:01
I hate it for Mikko, but I think his time in WRC is running out. It's a shame, because he is more than capable of being a champion, but when you're competing against superhumans such as Loeb (and now Sebastien No.2), your progress is bound to be halted. I also agree with Malcolm, I don't think Mikko is really enjoying this anymore. I hope he can reach the top step of the podium soon.

amilk
7th August 2014, 10:06
on a side note, was Malcom Wilson in Finland?

Malcolm was there.
You can see from outside if someone attacking the stage with the car. I saw it at 3 VW, Meeke and Hanninen. Mikko was cruising a bit.

Hartusvuori
7th August 2014, 10:18
You can see from outside if someone attacking the stage with the car. I saw it at 3 VW, Meeke and Hanninen. Mikko was cruising a bit.

You are correct, though admittedly Mikko was the best of the rest - just like the results tell too.

Personally I wasn't expecting too much from Mikko. For me the biggest dissappointments in Rally Finland were Mads Östberg and Andreas Mikkelsen (and Nikara, but for other reason). Östberg was lost throughout the event until he had to retire and Mikkelsen I was expecting to keep up with JML and Ogier at least for some time, but he didn't seem to have that extra raw speed this time.

Mintexmemory
7th August 2014, 14:49
In the words of BB King - The thrill is gone. Mikko's last statement, if accurately reported, in the Autosport item indicates a mind-set of looking for reasons to avoid pushing to the limit. Some sportsmen only have so much reserve of enthusiasm and Mikko shows all the signs of burn out.

Rallyper
7th August 2014, 22:40
IF you know before the event you have a non competitive car you dont perform better. Or cant. Its in your head. Mikko did very good after circumstances. IF you saw him live you'd understand.
I admit Mikkos has peaked but with right material he still could win events. (I know Citroën was good car but didnt suit or wasnt that good last two years)

stefanvv
7th August 2014, 23:07
Everyone could say "if I can just drive better car....or have some more luck.... and so on". So all of them are in the same position except VW drivers as it seems. Anyway I don't think Hirvonen would win even 1 Rally win Polo.... he just seem not "there" anymore somehow.

Eli
7th August 2014, 23:10
http://www.rally.it/mikko-ci-pensa-e-forse-lascia/ sounds intresting...

janvanvurpa
8th August 2014, 01:25
Classic Wilson, but he is right of course. But for me it seems that none of the drivers are enjoying enough these days, they are so serious all the time...

Sadly it seems so... I always thought that they key to sucess was, to barrow the tune from Ian Drury:
Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfp8xrNAS6I

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sfp8xrNAS6I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/sfp8xrNAS6I?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/sfp8xrNAS6I?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Worked for me when I was nearing burn-out.

Miika
27th August 2014, 20:53
Mikko not continuing in M-Sport and (according to the manager) not looking for any other options either, since there aren´t any. Although Mr. Manager making it sound as if M-Sport isn´t good enough for Mikko, not the other way around.
http://yle.fi/urheilu/ei_enaa_nalkaa_jatkaa_-_hirvosen_ralliura_loppunee_walesin_mm-ralliin/7437044

RAS007
28th August 2014, 06:29
Mikko not continuing in M-Sport and (according to the manager) not looking for any other options either, since there aren´t any. Although Mr. Manager making it sound as if M-Sport isn´t good enough for Mikko, not the other way around.
http://yle.fi/urheilu/ei_enaa_nalkaa_jatkaa_-_hirvosen_ralliura_loppunee_walesin_mm-ralliin/7437044

Looks like it is all over for Mikko. Several news sources reporting he will be replaced by Tanak at the end of the season.....

Rallyper
28th August 2014, 07:12
Looks like it is all over for Mikko. Several news sources reporting he will be replaced by Tanak at the end of the season.....

But Tanak? Had his chances as well.

Miika
28th August 2014, 08:37
But Tanak? Had his chances as well.

Compared to Mikko Ott has about a decade of chances ahead of him.

makinen_fan
28th August 2014, 11:39
Mikko posted this on his fb right now:

Damn… Lot of rumors and talks last night about my future !
Nothing has been decided yet but for sure, I’m considering all the possibilities. So, when I have made my decision, I will let you all know what I will do for coming years.
Thanks for your support !

rage82
28th August 2014, 12:08
Compared to Mikko Ott has about a decade of chances ahead of him.
And compared to Pontus has a lot more experience about the rallies and driving a WRC car. Remember, he has a full season with Msport showing really good speed. I think it's impossible to see a team of Evans and Tidemand at this point. Moreover Pontus had only one decent drive in a WRC car in Sweden 2013 and after that nothing impressive. Don't fool yourselves about his win over Tanak in Germany, Ott was driving with Dmack, a lot inferior tyres and in a WRC car Tanak is ages ahead of Pontus. Just compare their times in Sweden this year bearing in mind Ott didn't drive WRC rally since 2012.

Fast Eddie WRC
28th August 2014, 12:16
Mikko has been off the pace for too long, its time he stopped.

Sadly I can see M-Sport pulling out as well and just supplying cars to privateers.

noel157
28th August 2014, 12:25
Mikko has been off the pace for too long, its time he stopped.

Sadly I can see M-Sport pulling out as well and just supplying cars to privateers.

I see the opposite- FMC coming back in 2015/16.

focus206
28th August 2014, 13:21
I see the opposite- FMC coming back in 2015/16.

Why would Ford come back in 2015/16? I see no reasons, moreover the Fiesta would be quite old...

Rallyper
28th August 2014, 15:22
And compared to Pontus has a lot more experience about the rallies and driving a WRC car. Remember, he has a full season with Msport showing really good speed. I think it's impossible to see a team of Evans and Tidemand at this point. Moreover Pontus had only one decent drive in a WRC car in Sweden 2013 and after that nothing impressive. Don't fool yourselves about his win over Tanak in Germany, Ott was driving with Dmack, a lot inferior tyres and in a WRC car Tanak is ages ahead of Pontus. Just compare their times in Sweden this year bearing in mind Ott didn't drive WRC rally since 2012.

Just saying. Not explicit PT should be there, but he could very well be second choice. M-sport economical status has to make us prepared for any driver in the line up who can pay.

Motorsportfun
28th August 2014, 16:18
Why would Ford come back in 2015/16? I see no reasons, moreover the Fiesta would be quite old...

I see same as noel157... if new regs will interest Manufacturers, then FMC will be back. Furthermore, FMC is no more Uefa Champions League (replaced by Nissan) sponsor... ;)

focus206
28th August 2014, 16:55
I see same as noel157... if new regs will interest Manufacturers, then FMC will be back. Furthermore, FMC is no more Uefa Champions League (replaced by Nissan) sponsor... ;)

I just don't see a manufacturer coming back with an "old" car... I wonder what commercial value would have for them to officially support M-Sport with Fiesta Mk6, with a new car would be another thing, but has Ford any "newer" car suitable for WRC?

rage82
28th August 2014, 18:01
Just saying. Not explicit PT should be there, but he could very well be second choice. M-sport economical status has to make us prepared for any driver in the line up who can pay.
Yes maybe you are right about the paying driver in Msport but M. Wilson himself had mentioned Ott as a very possible choice for next year.

[WRCRR]
28th August 2014, 19:32
I just don't see a manufacturer coming back with an "old" car... I wonder what commercial value would have for them to officially support M-Sport with Fiesta Mk6, with a new car would be another thing, but has Ford any "newer" car suitable for WRC?

Exactly, there is no change whatsoever for Ford to come back officially in 2015 or 2016. If they do make a comeback (which I very much doubt), it is going to be in 2017 at the earliest - new rules, new car. Also, if Toyota is coming back to WRC from 2017 and VW & Hyundai are still in the game I don't really see any sense in a Ford comeback without a true financial commitment on the level of VW, Hyundai and possibly Toyota.

What I do believe is M-Sport "rent a car" team continuing in 2015/16 with Mr. Wilson all the time looking to find a possible new factory partner. Evans will stay, whoever is gonna be the second/third car remains to be seen. Kubica and Tänak are strong possibilities. There have been some rumors that M-Sport might run with Pirelli tyres, in exchange for some Pirelli financial support...

Rallyper
28th August 2014, 19:50
;1012361']Exactly, there is no change whatsoever for Ford to come back officially in 2015 or 2016. If they do make a comeback (which I very much doubt), it is going to be in 2017 at the earliest - new rules, new car. Also, if Toyota is coming back to WRC from 2017 and VW & Hyundai are still in the game I don't really see any sense in a Ford comeback without a true financial commitment on the level of VW, Hyundai and possibly Toyota.

What I do believe is M-Sport "rent a car" team continuing in 2015/16 with Mr. Wilson all the time looking to find a possible new factory partner. Evans will stay, whoever is gonna be the second/third car remains to be seen. Kubica and Tänak are strong possibilities. There have been some rumors that M-Sport might run with Pirelli tyres, in exchange for some Pirelli financial support...

Thanks Colin.

the sniper
28th August 2014, 22:15

Well, M-Sport have now at least introduced the facelifted car now, so they are now rallying the car Ford are actually selling in the showrooms. And look at VW, they entered the WRC with what was by 2013 a Polo that was over three years 'old'.

Saying that though, I can't see Ford coming back now before the next Fiesta comes out post 2017. I thought they might come back this year or next with the facelifted Fiesta, but as we haven't heard anything by now I can't see it happening.

Fast Eddie WRC
28th August 2014, 22:46
Even if Ford wanted to came back as an official manufacturer team, I cant see that the last few years results would encourage them to continue with M-Sport...

And is M-Sport actually getting good PR themselves by carrying on and getting regularly beaten by the full manufacturer teams ?

AndyRAC
28th August 2014, 23:02
I wouldn't worry about M-Sport, and PR; the GT3 Bentley in the Blancpain Endurance series is providing more than enough.

COD
29th August 2014, 13:59
This is the kind of something different he should have done long time ago

Doon
29th August 2014, 15:13
Mikko can still be a great No.2 driver, so he might be a good option for Hyundai. A new team with no budget worries and a plan for the future will no doubt help him mentally.

A.F.F.
29th August 2014, 21:46
I disagree. Mikko would be a great third driver of the team. If Hyundai wants to be a champ, they need two fast drivers BUT, they also need someone with experience with developing the car. Now, I don't know if there's faster drivers available than Mikko but if there isn't the situation is bad. WRC needs new blood. I've always said that it's better to burn out than fade away. Mikko's has been fading away and that is also sad. He is a great guy and has won what, 15 rallies. Everyone here knows that he is faster than he has driven last couple of years. Back to the point. He would have something usefull to give for a new team developmentwise but the his prize tag should be way lower in order to raise any interest. My two cents and my two cents are free.

jonkka
30th August 2014, 15:11
He is a great guy and has won what, 15 rallies.

Some of which are thanks to team leader status which saw number two sacrificing a position in favour of Mikko.

My opinion, not necessarily substantiated by reality, is that Mikko is a prime example of why number two should not be relegated to "make it to finish and score solid manufacturer's points for us" -role. While this provides valuable experience for a young driver and benefits the team in the championship, it also educates the driver to go for sure points instead of attacking all out.

Compare Mikko's privateer half-season of 2005 with next few years when he played second fiddle to Gronholm at Ford. In 2005 he had fire in him which I think got somewhat doused during Wilson's coaching for sure finish over out-and-out performance. From Wilson's point of view this was perfectly rational but for Mikko it was wrong approach. Once you learn to make it to finish, you can't switch aggression on if suddenly needed. As per NOT's favourite figure of speech, well beaten dog is never a pack leader.

Rallyper
30th August 2014, 15:30
Mikko still has much to do. A driver on podium in PS and winning stages although not over all must have a place in teams. Still it´s true many drivers are as fast as Mikko but maybe competition has hardened last year or two. It must have been that way, because other way around WRC hasn´t stopped developed (drivers cars teams).
Mikko had his peak though before his heavvy crash in Finland 2010 and I do believe it has hampered him since then (a bit)