PDA

View Full Version : Imortal life

Sonic
3rd March 2011, 20:20
Ok, it's all science fiction I know, but I was just pondering what we all thought the world might be like if human beings attained all but never-ending life.

Perhaps one plus point would be we tend to only think of our generation, leaving the problems created to the ones that follow. Maybe if we had to live in the world we created we might be a little more circumspect in our actions in the present.

Thoughts?

ioan
3rd March 2011, 21:46
We would run out of space.

Bob Riebe
3rd March 2011, 22:00
We would have more wars of more intense conflict.

ioan
3rd March 2011, 22:05
We would have more wars of more intense conflict.

That's true.

anthonyvop
3rd March 2011, 23:13
Ok, it's all science fiction I know, but I was just pondering what we all thought the world might be like if human beings attained all but never-ending life.

What do you mean if?

Don't you remember when the NASA Scientist discovered the immorality portal and every got to pass through it and we all decided not to tell the really stupid people and just let them die away from natural caus..........

......................................Ohhhhh

................................Never mind.

Zico
3rd March 2011, 23:15
Its said that Lobsters repair their own DNA and potentially could live for ever.. Would you really want to though?.. not for me.

Imortal life? What a contradiction of words.

ioan
3rd March 2011, 23:59
Its said that Lobsters repair their own DNA and potentially could live for ever.. Would you really want to though?.. not for me.

It wouldn't bother me, I have plans and things to do that I could never finish within a couple of lifetimes!

Imortal life? What a contradiction of words.

Why is that?
Life is the opposite of death, isn't it?!

Rollo
4th March 2011, 01:16
http://www.alexchiu.com/eternallife/index.html
According to Alex Chiu, based on testimonies, facts, and proofs, people are believed to be able to stay physically young forever by using his new inventions "The Eternal Life Rings" and "The Eternal Life Foot Braces".

Alex Chiu invented his Immortality Rings in 1996 and I guess that because he is still alive (and presumably still on the council in Markham, Ontario) that his Immortality Rings must still be working.

Roamy
4th March 2011, 04:56

Perhaps one plus point would be we tend to only think of our generation, leaving the problems created to the ones that follow. Maybe if we had to live in the world we created we might be a little more circumspect in our actions in the present.

Thoughts?

Pass the Pipe please !!

4th March 2011, 05:49
Instead of looking at immortal life why not look at mortal life where there is no suffering. Something that can be gleened from stem cell reasearch and applications.

Wade91
4th March 2011, 05:53
pros:
1. being able to live forever without having to worry about what awaits us in the next life (if anything at all)

2. endless amount of time to archive your goals in life

cons:

1. this...

2. it would kinda suck for people that got arrested for some kinda crime and got sentenced to life in prison :p

Tazio
4th March 2011, 06:33
We are made of star stuff. In a sense we have been here since the creation of the universe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE9dEAx5Sgw

Mark
4th March 2011, 08:46
I think it was Malthus (sp?) who proved that population growth can never keep up with food supply, as one grows linearly and the other exponentially. So if we kept breeding but didn't die, the population would have to be made smaller somehow, be that through mass starvation, or more likely; war...

Retro Formula 1
4th March 2011, 09:26
All together now....

"Who want's to liver foreverrrrrrrr"

Zico
4th March 2011, 09:28
It wouldn't bother me, I have plans and things to do that I could never finish within a couple of lifetimes!

Achieving life ambitions is one thing but I'd imagine you'd apreciate less and get pretty sick of it after a couple of hundred years, especially when you consider that the speed of population growth is already accelerating towards unsustainable levels even before the obvious consequences of immortality.
If they did achieve it I imagine the powers that be would ensure it wouldn't be available to the masses, It could possibly be the worst possible medical 'inovations' to hit mankind and our planet.

Why is that?
Life is the opposite of death, isn't it?!

I was thinking of the definition of life 'The interval of time between birth and death' as a cycle but looking it up.. thats only one of the many definitions so I guess Im wrong.

Tazio
4th March 2011, 10:41
Achieving life ambitions is one thing but I'd imagine you'd apreciate less and get pretty sick of it after a couple of hundred years, especially when you consider that the speed of population growth is already accelerating towards unsustainable levels even before the obvious consequences of immortality.
If they did achieve it I imagine the powers that be would ensure it wouldn't be available to the masses, It could possibly be the worst possible medical 'inovations' to hit mankind and our planet. I was thinking of the definition of life 'The interval of time between birth and death' as a cycle but looking it up.. thats only one of the many definitions so I guess Im wrong.I have always held that there is a reason that we live as long as we do. That was before technology started advancing exponentually. When I was in pusuit of my BA In English Lit. (Actually my area of speciallization was the American Romantics). Not to worry as I needfed a thoroudh education in the English Romamtic movement which preceeded it by about 30 years. I found this quote very pointient.
A letter From E.A Poe to a friend and contemporary very revealing

Some, who put little effort into it, read this as Poe's admission that he's not happy and is, perhaps, depressed. Such a juvenile interpretation strips the quote of its depth. The "active" nature of humanity Poe refers to refers to the changing cultural climate: the boom in industry, the sudden influx of writers and magazines, the movement from agrarian communities to urban centers, the growth of crime, etc. Does any of that stuff make mankind any happier or wiser?In a letter dated July 10, 1844, to friend and fellow poet Thomas Holley Chivers, Poe gave one of his most often quoted, profound-sounding-yet-elusive comments. He wrote:
" "Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago." Our "activity" is now internet-driven. We make "friends" through Facebook, have "conversations" through e-mail, "meet" people through webcast conferences, and believe that any knowledge worth knowing is available for free on any given web page. Are we happier or wiser today?
Is it still true today?

Sonic
4th March 2011, 12:52
Pass the Pipe please !!

Hehehe.

GridGirl
4th March 2011, 12:58
I wouldn't to live forever. I have an attitude of trying to do as many things now because sooner or later money, health, kids, age or whatever else might prevent me from doing them. If you were immortal surely there is the possibility of doing nothing because you will have enough time to do things at a later date. I'd rather live short but forfilled than long with regrets. Although if you could live forever, do you think it would be possible to go see, do and achieve everything that you wanted and what would the normal retirement age be?

ArrowsFA1
4th March 2011, 13:21
Maybe if we had to live in the world we created we might be a little more circumspect in our actions in the present.

Thoughts?
Perhaps we would be a little more circumspect, but we have to live in the world we created as it is now. If we accepted that death is an inevitable consequence of being born we may certainly be a little more circumspect about the world around us.

Sounds rather obvious, but take a look at the desire to "keep young", the billions spent on health & fitness, anti-ageing products, the advances in medicine designed to keep us alive, the constant search for cures etc etc. All designed to ward off the inevitable.

555-04Q2
4th March 2011, 14:45
I don't see why anyone would want to live past 100 years, let alone forever! I'm only 33 yet I have achieved 90% of my goals in life and seen most of the world. There is really not much else I could try and achieve except take a trip to the moon and bang Paris Hilton while U2 play a live concert in my bedroom for me :p : By the time I am 60 I will hopefully be enjoying my grandchildren and getting ready for my date with the earthworms, job complete!

ioan
4th March 2011, 22:13
I wouldn't to live forever. I have an attitude of trying to do as many things now because sooner or later money, health, kids, age or whatever else might prevent me from doing them. If you were immortal surely there is the possibility of doing nothing because you will have enough time to do things at a later date. I'd rather live short but forfilled than long with regrets. Although if you could live forever, do you think it would be possible to go see, do and achieve everything that you wanted and what would the normal retirement age be?

Retirement?! Do you think I would need to work if I was immortal?

Bob Riebe
4th March 2011, 23:49
Retirement?! Do you think I would need to work if I was immortal?One is only immortal if bullet to the brain or a knife through the aorta, does not kill one.
No intelligent scientist has suggested that.

Koz
5th March 2011, 00:22
Aubrey de Grey

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3329065877451441972

Here's a nice spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC_DMxxa4sM

Roamy
5th March 2011, 06:43

Great Attitude - so do me :)