PDA

View Full Version : Bernie's latest goofy proposal - artificial rainstorms

Shifter
1st March 2011, 15:40
We all know by now Bernie is keen to introduce wacky ideas to get us talking, and so here we go again...

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/42110.html

"Bernie Ecclestone would like to see trackside sprinklers at Formula One circuits to artificially create the excitement of a wet circuit midway through grands prix."

""There are race tracks that you can make artificially wet and it would be easy to have such systems at a number of tracks. Why not let it 'rain' in the middle of a race? For 20 minutes or the last ten laps? Maybe with a two-minute warning ahead of it. Suspense would be guaranteed and it would be the same for all."

While it goes against all I hold sacred, I would have rather liked the idea for one race weekend only - 2005 USGP...

Robinho
1st March 2011, 16:08
its not the worst idea he's ever had, wet races are certainly more action packed these days, and a controlled amount of "wetness" stops the risk of having pace cars etc, however i don't like the principle of it, it would need to be a truly randomly generated event, that could or might not happen, not a "throw the switch to spice it up" option.

Leave it to a random computer generated sequence, more likely to not happen than definately happen, prvide a couple of minutes warning as they get with the real weather, and turn the whole thing off if there is real rain in the area.

it would not be a disaster, but i'm not keen on the philosophy, if the racing is not exciting fix the cars and the tracks before making artifical weather

truefan72
1st March 2011, 16:58
what a stupid stupid idea

UltimateDanGTR
1st March 2011, 17:02
You just know if NASCARs could race in the wet, this is the sort of cheap gimmick they would come up with.

This is F1, a sport that should naturally be entertaining.

It shouldn't be an entertainment/reality TV show, like this idea indicates.

Dave B
1st March 2011, 17:15
Gimmick, Bernie needs a hosepipe up his backside if (and he probably isn't) being serious.

Marbles
1st March 2011, 17:22
He should involve the fans and have one lucky contest winner get to throw a spike belt across the track at a time of his choosing.

Either I'm imagining things or Bernie's getting old and forgetful but I swear he, or someone in FIA, proposed this about a decade ago.

It doesn't sound any saner now than it did then.

harvick#1
1st March 2011, 18:28
oh crap, he must've read one of my posts that I was joking on about sprinklers at all tracks that could go off at random.

Bernie, can I have the same stuff you are smokin

schmenke
1st March 2011, 19:27
If he is serious he's truely gone mad.

Kevincal
1st March 2011, 19:31
good way to kill a driver off. Image they are hauling ass middle of the race going through a fast corner on slicks, all of a sudden its wet without warning. Boom. Now if it was planned to take place at some point of the race where everyone knew what laps would be wet, well that would be ok :)

steveaki13
1st March 2011, 19:35
I get fed up with all this tinkering with F1.

I am lucky enough to have a collection of GP's going back to 1989 and if I watch a season over a few weeks, there were plenty of boring races back then. I think people have a tendensy to view the past with rose tinted glasses.

I mean don't get me wrong I have watched F1 since 91 or 92 and feel the sport as a whole was more enjoyable then and had many great races and a bit more overtaking than now maybe, but on the whole the excitement levels in each race were similar.

So why now do we always have people trying to spice up the show. I guess Bernie was not serious about this suggestion, but I feel even flexi wings, forced tyre rules, changing in Qualifying (Going back to the mid 2000's) and kers, all just seem to be artificial.

F1 in its purest sense is about the best 24 drivers in the world racing for the world title. That used to be the drama and excitement. Now it appears unless there is overtaking every corner certain people are moaning.

Fact is if the best drivers are battling they and cars are so good they show be virtually level, and if the 5 fastest drivers are 1,2,3,4,5 in order then they will spread out. It seems a bit unfair for the fastest driver to be subject to all manner of devices and rules to stop him winning.

On the whole I prefer simpler F1.

Practice Sessions then a one hour Qualifying Session of 12 laps like pre 2003, give the drivers an even start (i.e top 10 can choose tyres and not be forced to a disadvantage by starting on old tyres). Give them 4 differing compounds each better suited to its own job hard, soft, super soft etc.

Then let them race.

steveaki13
1st March 2011, 19:38
I think Bernie and Gaddafi showed have a chat, both today appear off their rockers.

schmenke
1st March 2011, 19:41

I am lucky enough to have a collection of GP's going back to 1989 and if I watch a season over a few weeks, there were plenty of boring races back then. I think people have a tendensy to view the past with rose tinted glasses.

I mean don't get me wrong I have watched F1 since 91 or 92 and feel the sport as a whole was more enjoyable then and had many great races and a bit more overtaking than now maybe, but on the whole the excitement levels in each race were similar.

So why now do we always have people trying to spice up the show. I guess Bernie was not serious about this suggestion, but I feel even flexi wings, forced tyre rules, changing in Qualifying (Going back to the mid 2000's) and kers, all just seem to be artificial.

F1 in its purest sense is about the best 24 drivers in the world racing for the world title. That used to be the drama and excitement. Now it appears unless there is overtaking every corner certain people are moaning.

Fact is if the best drivers are battling they and cars are so good they show be virtually level, and if the 5 fastest drivers are 1,2,3,4,5 in order then they will spread out. It seems a bit unfair for the fastest driver to be subject to all manner of devices and rules to stop him winning.

Practice Sessions then a one hour Qualifying Session of 12 laps like pre 2003, give the drivers an even start (i.e top 10 can choose tyres and not be forced to a disadvantage by starting on old tyres). Give them 4 differing compounds each better suited to its own job hard, soft, super soft etc.

Then let them race.

That about sums up my feelings about the sport too :up:

SGWilko
1st March 2011, 20:04
Why artificial? Isn't Bernie already able to control the weather?

Tazio
1st March 2011, 20:41
He should involve the fans and have one lucky contest winner get to throw a spike belt across the track at a time of his choosing.

Either I'm imagining things or Bernie's getting old and forgetful but I swear he, or someone in FIA, proposed this about a decade ago.

It doesn't sound any saner now than it did then.

He suggested this in the past, although I thought it was as recent as 2009.
It is just as idiotic now as it was then.
He would never actually do it because of the liability of somebody getting clocked.
Bernie is the kind of nut ball that would want artificial snow, and wind for Olympic figure skating!

AndyRAC
1st March 2011, 20:46

Then let them race.

Yeah, I'm another one who feels the same.

Gimmicks are for lesser series, i;e NASCAR, BTCC etc Not the F1 World Champinship. Maybe Bernie got confused and thought it was April 1st, not March 1st St David's Day.

Firstgear
1st March 2011, 21:19
If he can do the opposite as well (guarantee apprx. 40 dry laps in the middle of a thunderstorm) then I'd consider it. :p

Until then, NO thanks!

V12
1st March 2011, 21:43
This story has been broken by autosport.com before.

On the 1st April, 2000 (might be a couple of years out with the year, but meh)

Only now to be honest it's gone so far beyond a joke it's not even funny anymore.

F1 already has two major, major negatives coming in for 2011, in the shape of the driver-behind-only moveable rear wing and the deliberately rubbish Pirelli control tyres, that I'm not sure if I'm even going to bother watching this year (well three negatives if you include the Lotus-sponsored Renault but that one's not the governing body's fault). This would in the past have been the icing on the turd-cake, but as I've said I'm really past caring.

nigelred5
2nd March 2011, 00:15
Steel brakes. little ones. cures 90% of why there's no passing and 100% shows you who really has the nads.

Hawkmoon
2nd March 2011, 03:20
Steel brakes. little ones. cures 90% of why there's no passing and 100% shows you who really has the nads.

Nailed it in one. Bernie's trying to fix a symptom, not the disease. The problem is the cars and the tracks they race on. Rather than simply saying "wet races are good so let's make all races wet", he should be saying "why are wet races so good?" The answer, and one that everybody already knows, is that in the wet the grip goes down, breaking distances increase and the drivers with the talent and the stones to back it up rise to the top. So the solution is to reduce the car's grip and increase breaking distances. F1 is full of smart people, they should be able to work it out. Instead they come up with gimmicks like movable wings. Baffles the mind!

woody2goody
2nd March 2011, 04:27
It's a stupid idea.

The sport is healthier now than it was 10 years ago, and the racing has been great for the last 4 years. The day they introduce artificial wetting of the track is the day I stop watching F1.

anthonyvop
2nd March 2011, 04:36
Bernie is a Genius.....He knows how to keep F1 in the news.

AndyL
2nd March 2011, 10:27
Bernie is a Genius.....He knows how to keep F1 in the news.

Exactly... this is never going to happen, Bernie was just stirring the pot as he likes to do. So let's try not to take this too seriously!

But to take it seriously for a moment, what about washing the track down before the race? Make the track green, clear up the marbles and reduce the difference in grip on- and off-line. Could make it easier to pass; and make it harder for the teams to predict grip levels and tyre wear, so they have to be more adaptable.

DexDexter
2nd March 2011, 10:37
Anything as long as he doesn't bring up the medals once again. That I can't take. :rolleyes:

Retro Formula 1
2nd March 2011, 10:43
Good old Bernie. He has a cracking sense of humour and it makes me giggle when people take him seriously.

Big Ben
2nd March 2011, 11:25
Anything as long as he doesn't bring up the medals once again. That I can't take. :rolleyes:

Too late. He brought them up too :laugh:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89682

don't let the smart title fool you. he says one smart thing and after that he goes nuts again.

DexDexter
2nd March 2011, 11:35
Too late. He brought them up too :laugh:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89682

don't let the smart title fool you. he says one smart thing and after that he goes nuts again.

:bigcry:

I am evil Homer
2nd March 2011, 11:54
So wet races are good? Why then is F1 racing in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi....something to do with money Bernard?

As for the medals....to suggest drivers aren't trying or that it would have made last season more interesting shows what a joke he's become.

ArrowsFA1
2nd March 2011, 13:17
This has idea has been brought up from time to time, probably since Bernie installed sprinklers at Paul Ricard, where incidentally the possibility of a VIP only attended GP was once mentioned.

I don't disagree with Bernie when he says "Overtaking is almost impossible because in the dry there is only one line good for maximum speed" but neither sprinklers nor moveable wings are the answer. They're gimmicks.

The longer F1 continues down the road of costly aerodynamic development the more likely it is we will see these kind of gimmicks.

SGWilko
2nd March 2011, 13:21
"Overtaking is almost impossible because in the dry there is only one line good for maximum speed"

It'll be even worse with chunks of knackered Pirelli everywhere save for a narrow racing line. :down:

DexDexter
2nd March 2011, 13:48

They'll get around it somehow, believe me and before long they are braking as late as ever.

CLF66
2nd March 2011, 16:05
what a joke - it'd end up a means for race fixing. Leave things be - the excitement comes in how drivers and teams re-act to unknown situations!

Azumanga Davo
2nd March 2011, 16:09
I often wonder what would happen if Karl Pilkington ever got left in charge of a motorsport series. Wonder no more, Bernie is his equal!

"Trophies, do we need 'em? You know, McLaren, still knocking about, they got plenty already. They don't need more."

Tazio
2nd March 2011, 16:14
Formula 1 tyre supplier Pirelli has backed Bernie Ecclestone's idea of introducing artificial wet races in a bid to increase excitement in the sport.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89706

Shifter
2nd March 2011, 17:55
Formula 1 tyre supplier Pirelli has backed Bernie Ecclestone's idea of introducing artificial wet races in a bid to increase excitement in the sport.

As I mentioned in my OP Bernie surely stirrs the pot on occasion. With round 1 cancelled/moved I wasn't surprised he brought something like this up (again). I was more thinking not about the proposal actually having any real merit other than headline-generation; however with Pirelli being the new kids on the block again and really trying to please the fraternity, having them back the proposal is a bit troublesome; whereas before I was thinking about how healthy it is for the sport to have the F1 supremo toss around whacky ideas to stir the pot, I'd say now this has moved towards an actual proposal.

That said, I still cant see this actually happening.

It's interesting that the article above refers to 'night racing' and 'street racing' as a gimmick. Somebody call the ACO and let them know just how gimmicky it has been all these years to run Le Mans on the mulsanne, and how goofy it is they don't stop the race at sundown and resume in the morning. Also of note, apparently putting out phantom saftey cars is over the top...or at least is out of the question because, uh, another racing series does it and F1 can't be seen as copying another motorsport, right?

steveaki13
2nd March 2011, 18:33
Can anyone tell me how long Bernie has sat in his current position as head of F1 as he does now, because I can't quite remember, but whatever he seems to have forgotten about running F1 now and has moved into goofy tv entertainment shows.

Why not make F1 a reality show and get 24 just passed drivers off the roads and follow them as they become a F1 driver that should be more fun than racing by top drivers in the world evenly match with tough battling on the circuit. New drivers would overtake more.

ArrowsFA1
2nd March 2011, 18:46
Pirelli's motorsport director Paul Hembery says "the idea is not as daft as it sounds".

Yes it is.

Dr. Krogshöj
2nd March 2011, 21:20
Normally I would say we shouldn't be worried about these brainfarts, but they introduced the "overtaking wing" or whatever this year, so anything can happen. Unfortunately, the powers that be seem to have started catering for those idiots who keep complaining about the lack of overtaking...

Tazio
2nd March 2011, 21:22
Good read from Joe Soward on this topic and the general state of F1

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/is-formula-one-really-that-desperate/

ioan
2nd March 2011, 21:50
Pirelli's motorsport director Paul Hembery says "the idea is not as daft as it sounds".

Yes it is.

Pirelli need wet races if they are not to produce 3 times the number of dry weather tires that Bridgestone used to produce during a season.

Garry Walker
2nd March 2011, 23:01

Wow.

Just wow.

Fangio and Senna would be rolling in their graves.

markabilly
3rd March 2011, 02:18
Not goofy. Pirrelli favors the idea.
Meanwhile,the IRL will be running races in two halves, where the starting grid for the second half will be selcted at random

Such inspiration can only lead to the conclusion that the sprinklers should be located all over the track and at certain sections, only those sprinklers turned on, at random, without any warning or opportunity for a pit stop, and then turned back off--while other parts of the track may or may not be dry....

Just need a little music to get the mood right.....

There will be a show tonight on trampoline
The Hendersons will all be there
Late of Pablo-Fanques is there, what a scene
Over men and horses hoops and garters
Lastly through a hogshead of real fire!
In this way Mr. K. will challenge the world!
The celebrated Mr. K.
Performs his feat on Saturday at Bishopsgate
The Hendersons will dance and sing
As Mr. Kite flies through the ring don't be late
Mrs. K assures the public
Their production will be second to none
And of course Henry The Horse dances the waltz-!
(Circus organ music) The band begins at ten to six
When Mr. K. performs his tricks without a sound

A splendid time is guaranteed for all
And tonight Mr. Kite is topping the bill

Beatles, Benefit for Mr Kite...

Dave B
3rd March 2011, 09:07

Yes it is.

No it isn't.

It's dafter.

Here's a radical idea to "spice up the show": let teams employ brilliant engineers to design and develop cars as they see fit, and employ amazingly gifted athletes to take said cars and race them without outside interference. You know: fastest one wins, that sort of thing. Nah, it'll never catch on... :s

Retro Formula 1
3rd March 2011, 09:54
Here's a scenario.

1. Bernie wants something
2. He gets resistance from the teams
3. He comes up with a wacky idea that causes uproar
4. He gets a few friendlies to support the idea
5. He negiotiates to drop the wacky idea and gets his original plans through

Far fetched?

Now we just need to figure out what he really wants ;)

I am evil Homer
3rd March 2011, 10:07
More money in the Concorde agreement. It's all he ever wants...sod the show and the sport that's not his problem anymore and he'll be retiring with a mountain of cash.

DexDexter
3rd March 2011, 10:30
More money in the Concorde agreement. It's all he ever wants...sod the show and the sport that's not his problem anymore and he'll be retiring with a mountain of cash.

When is he going to retire? He is about 20 years over the pension age. I'm sure he is there until the end.

I am evil Homer
3rd March 2011, 11:23
It's also odd how F1 wants to attempt to 'green' itself with new engine rules, KERS etc then decides it might be a good idea to spray water on a track in the desert. How about not racing in the desert and going back to Fuji, moving Spa to earlier in the year, keeping Canada as a permanent fixture.

Bruce D
3rd March 2011, 11:34
I find it strange that Pirelli come up with this idea. Theres a much cheaper and easier way to do the same thing - make tyres that drop off pace and wear at different rates. Just look at Canada last year. Otherwise, if you want close racing, watch touring cars.

I cant be interested in a championship where every race is decided by lottery. The value of the title will drop.

ArrowsFA1
3rd March 2011, 12:09
Fangio and Senna would be rolling in their graves.
It would be interesting to hear what the likes of Prost or Moss think.

Michael is happy about the rear wing (link (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89280)) but I wonder what he thinks about sprinklers.

schmenke
3rd March 2011, 14:51
When is he going to retire? ...

When he is out of debt.

SGWilko
3rd March 2011, 14:58
Michael is happy about the rear wing

[Assume Mr Udell persona] Well, that's a load off.... :laugh:

ykiki
3rd March 2011, 16:27
Though I concur (to a degree) that wet races tend to have a heightened level of excitement due to "the unknown", can you imagine the reaction from insurance companies' lawyers when told "we're going to artificially manufacture DANGER and create situations where we encourage cars to go flying off the race track"/

If you think spectator areas are already far away from the action, just imagine how far away spectators would have to be if tracks were made to create less adhesion for the cars?

Tazio
4th March 2011, 14:37
Not goofy. Pirrelli favors the idea.
Meanwhile,the IRL will be running races in two halves, where the starting grid for the second half will be selcted at random

Such inspiration can only lead to the conclusion that the sprinklers should be located all over the track and at certain sections, only those sprinklers turned on, at random, without any warning or opportunity for a pit stop, and then turned back off--while other parts of the track may or may not be dry....

Just need a little music to get the mood right.....

There will be a show tonight on trampoline
The Hendersons will all be there
Late of Pablo-Fanques is there, what a scene
Over men and horses hoops and garters
Lastly through a hogshead of real fire!
In this way Mr. K. will challenge the world!
The celebrated Mr. K.
Performs his feat on Saturday at Bishopsgate
The Hendersons will dance and sing
As Mr. Kite flies through the ring don't be late
Mrs. K assures the public
Their production will be second to none
And of course Henry The Horse dances the waltz-!
(Circus organ music) The band begins at ten to six
When Mr. K. performs his tricks without a sound

A splendid time is guaranteed for all
And tonight Mr. Kite is topping the bill

Beatles, Benefit for Mr Kite...

Prop's my man. I almost forgot fo bestow them on you. One of Lennons most profound song he wrote for the Beatles. You sir may take a n bow!It has to be the Beatles least understood songs. Praise be to Allah

ArrowsFA1
4th March 2011, 14:44
[Assume Mr Udell persona] Well, that's a load off.... :laugh:
:p

It's just struck me (ouch!!) that "I wonder what he thinks about sprinklers" isn't something I ever thought I'd post on the F1 forum :eek:

Nikki Katz
4th March 2011, 18:02
I love that nobody in F1 seems to care just how senile Bernie is now. We need more cars! No, wait, we need less cars! And only the winner should count! But the races have to be more random! There should be more overtaking - how about purpose building street circuits in warzones that are nowhere near streets to make them as dull and as dangerous as possible? How about banning wheels?

SGWilko
4th March 2011, 22:01
How about banning wheels?

I see my MagLev idea is gathering momentum....... ;)

ioan
4th March 2011, 22:15
I see my MagLev idea is gathering momentum....... ;)

Until they realize how difficult overtaking will become with your idea! ;)

Roamy
5th March 2011, 07:08
Racing is dangerous enough as it is. When these guys have to drive in the rain it is mind-blowing what they go through. I would not be adding any fuel to the fire at all. Keep it as it is. It has worked for a long time.

steveaki13
5th March 2011, 09:45
Racing is dangerous enough as it is. When these guys have to drive in the rain it is mind-blowing what they go through. I would not be adding any fuel to the fire at all. Keep it as it is. It has worked for a long time.

:up:

passmeatissue
5th March 2011, 13:40
I'm not sure how it's more artificial than tarmac. It's still a test of skill, that we can see - and see more easily in fact than kers and most of the other man-made ingredients.

The whole show is an 'artificial' test of skill, after all. What's the difference?

ioan
5th March 2011, 15:48

It did work for racing fans, however nowadays F1 caters to TV viewers who want to get a better show, if possible something similar to what they see in movies like 'Fast and furious' or iron Man, or Batman etc.

F1's problem is that they went from being a great motor sport, with impressive technological innovation, to being the Sunday noon entertainment of the noobs, who make up at least 90% of the viewers, where artificial rain, movable wings and push to pass have been introduced to spice up the show and increase the cash flow towards one person.

Mark
5th March 2011, 16:37
We already have KERS, 'overtaking wings' and quick degradation tyres. That's enough for now.

steveaki13
5th March 2011, 17:35
It did work for racing fans, however nowadays F1 caters to TV viewers who want to get a better show, if possible something similar to what they see in movies like 'Fast and furious' or iron Man, or Batman etc.

F1's problem is that they went from being a great motor sport, with impressive technological innovation, to being the Sunday noon entertainment of the noobs, who make up at least 90% of the viewers, where artificial rain, movable wings and push to pass have been introduced to spice up the show and increase the cash flow towards one person.

Its a shame as the true fans who have watched or will watch F1 for years end up bemused and feeling a touch frustrated.

Well thats how I feel anyway.

Tazio
5th March 2011, 18:39

Its a shame as the true fans who have watched or will watch F1 for years end up bemused and feeling a touch frustrated.

Well thats how I feel anyway.
It's a vicious circle, with the promoters, (Bernie)corporate sponsors, and television being made more important than the actual competition. I don't think that television viewers should be singled out as the bad guys, even the most casual of them. Television has had a negative effect on every major sport, although in varying degrees.

It was sort of a joke on this board when Felipe made a comment about the amount of control buttons that are on the steering wheel. Since then almost all the pilots are in agreement. Is it going to take a major accident for there to be a revelation that the moveable rear wing is unnecessary? I hope not. I'm getting fed up. I want real racing without the gimmicks.

ioan
5th March 2011, 18:41
Is it going to take a major accident for there to be a revelation that the moveable rear wing is unnecessary? I hope not.

Most probably, and then they will come up with another 2 gimmicks in order to solve the problem created by the movable wing one!

steveaki13
5th March 2011, 20:25
It was sort of a joke on this board when Felipe made a comment about the amount of control buttons that are on the steering wheel. Since then almost all the pilots are in agreement. Is it going to take a major accident for there to be a revelation that the moveable rear wing is unnecessary? I hope not. I'm getting fed up. I want real racing without the gimmicks.

Most probably, and then they will come up with another 2 gimmicks in order to solve the problem created by the movable wing one!

Yes I look at F1 sometimes and see things that make me realise why I love F1, but then other times I think to myself this isn't the same as the sport I first watched 15+ years ago.

Drivers attitudes have changed (towards backmarkers or driving in the wet,

the officials attitudes have changed handing out so many penalties compared to years ago (fair enough some are warranted but I often feel the majority aren't needed and ofte n spoil a good race,

we now go to new circuits where hardly anyone turns up, just because of the money and most fans don't enjoy (i.e Bahrain, Abu Dabai),

As said above all of the overtaking gimmiks. (Kers, Moveable wings)

and worst of all F1 forums members just moan and moan now adays. :p ;) (Sorry)

DexDexter
7th March 2011, 21:22
Yes I look at F1 sometimes and see things that make me realise why I love F1, but then other times I think to myself this isn't the same as the sport I first watched 15+ years ago.

Drivers attitudes have changed (towards backmarkers or driving in the wet,

the officials attitudes have changed handing out so many penalties compared to years ago (fair enough some are warranted but I often feel the majority aren't needed and ofte n spoil a good race,

we now go to new circuits where hardly anyone turns up, just because of the money and most fans don't enjoy (i.e Bahrain, Abu Dabai),

As said above all of the overtaking gimmiks. (Kers, Moveable wings)

and worst of all F1 forums members just moan and moan now adays. :p ;) (Sorry)

F1 has indeed changed and how one sees the change is a matter of opinion. To me, the old days weren't better, I didn't witness better racing in the 80s or 90s than in let's say 2007,2008, 2010. In the old days the differences between cars at the front and back were embarrassingly large, both in speed and construction. It did me no good to see an active suspension Williams outqualify Senna's Mclaren by 2.5 seconds, for example.

DazzlaF1
7th March 2011, 23:35
F1 has indeed changed and how one sees the change is a matter of opinion. To me, the old days weren't better, I didn't witness better racing in the 80s or 90s than in let's say 2007,2008, 2010. In the old days the differences between cars at the front and back were embarrassingly large, both in speed and construction. It did me no good to see an active suspension Williams outqualify Senna's Mclaren by 2.5 seconds, for example.

Aye, those were the days when overtaking backmarkers was a skill in itself whereas now, its an irritation, a sad turn of events

52Paddy
11th March 2011, 16:16
Gimmicks are for comedy shows and commercial purposes. They are not for sport.

I don't believe that this will ever happen. It's just Bernie looking for attention as usual.

BDunnell
11th March 2011, 21:15
I don't believe that this will ever happen. It's just Bernie looking for attention as usual.

I'm not quite sure what benefits there are to be derived from his making statements like this. Surely people hear that he's said 'F1 needs artificial rain to spice up the racing' and, apart from going 'Ugh, not that horrible-looking old man again', think that F1 must therefore be really dull now and therefore don't watch.

markabilly
13th March 2011, 03:40
We already have KERS, 'overtaking wings' and quick degradation tyres. That's enough for now.

I would add they need to add spikes to all those "escape" roads for drivers who take the "out route" to avoid problems....

BDunnell
13th March 2011, 08:21
I would add they need to add spikes to all those "escape" roads for drivers who take the "out route" to avoid problems....

Or something, at least, to make it a less desirable option. Nothing that affects safety, but something that is an effective penalty.

52Paddy
13th March 2011, 12:36
I'm not quite sure what benefits there are to be derived from his making statements like this. Surely people hear that he's said 'F1 needs artificial rain to spice up the racing' and, apart from going 'Ugh, not that horrible-looking old man again', think that F1 must therefore be really dull now and therefore don't watch.

He gets himself more publicity, he's made a headline and got the critics talking. As senile as the old man may be getting, I can't fathom the belief that he had serious intent deep down, in relation to artificial rainstorms. He's intelligent enough to know that it would never work.

BDunnell
13th March 2011, 15:25
He gets himself more publicity, he's made a headline and got the critics talking. As senile as the old man may be getting, I can't fathom the belief that he had serious intent deep down, in relation to artificial rainstorms. He's intelligent enough to know that it would never work.

But not all publicity, despite what some may say, is good publicity.

52Paddy
13th March 2011, 15:52
But not all publicity, despite what some may say, is good publicity.

I do agree with this. But I don't think Bernie considers this bad publicity. It is a controversial statement to make but, as long as it doesn't bring his beloved sport into disrepute, I think he'll put his feet up and enjoy the fireworks.

DazzlaF1
22nd March 2011, 14:53
Bernie is a nutcase, nuff said

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9432232.stm

Shifter
22nd March 2011, 15:54
Bernie is a nutcase, nuff said

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9432232.stm

Bernie -- Support from WHO? It does not sound like there's much support at all!

steveaki13
22nd March 2011, 18:21
Heard him saying this on 5live this morning.

My workmate who is not a major F1 fan said to me it sounds like he's a nutcase.

If a very occasional watcher of F1 thinks this is a crazy idea then who is it who wants it.

Hardcore fans say no. (From what I've heard)

Casual Fans say No.

Teams? I assume are not keen.

UltimateDanGTR
22nd March 2011, 21:22
It's a good job Bernie doesn't write the F1 rulebook.

We think the FIA is bad...