PDA

View Full Version : Cricket World Cup 2011

555-04Q2
16th February 2011, 14:42
Can't believe there is not a thread yet for the Cricket World Cup!

Well here it is...discuss!

Retro Formula 1
16th February 2011, 18:02
Yep, 10 days till the next 6 nations match. Why not :D

steveaki13
16th February 2011, 23:57
In our first warm up match v Canada, England suffered the same form as affected our one day series in OZ, while we scored some runs we lost all our wickets before the 50 overs were reached. Which against the favorites India, South Africa, Australia etc. will leave us with too much to do.

Then having got Canada 28-5 we released the pressure and let them back into only falling 17 runs short 226 to our 243. Good recovery from Canada but surely England have just played too much cricket this winter and are in no state to challenge for the title.

steveaki13
17th February 2011, 00:00
Also another worry for England with the fatigue of 5 months on tour is a 6-1 loss to Oz, and now Australia losing heavily to Sout Africa and India in their warm ups.

South Africa or India for the title

CaptainRaiden
17th February 2011, 09:43
Unfortunately I won't be able to watch this one live on TV since I'm FAR away from home, and this is most probably India's best chance to win it. Cricket is pretty much non-existent in this part of the world, everybody seems to be CRAZY after football in Europe. Well, anyway I think India, England and South Africa have the best chance to win it based on what I have read so far. Australia could be the dark horse, but I don't know how much their form has slumped in the last 2 years, since I haven't seen any cricket in the last 2 years.

But this is the World Cup, and I got to keep a check on the calendar and the timings and find myself a good "alternative" if you know what I mean, *cough* online streaming *cough*. I am hoping Eurosport at least shows the finals, if not the group matches.

555-04Q2
17th February 2011, 10:16
I doubt that we will win the world cup. Our players don't have the BMT to win big tournaments. I hope I am wrong, but I have to be realistic, this is a world cup and South Africa we are talking about!

I would be very surprised if Sri Lanka or India do not win. Then again, Australia haven't lost a world cup match since 1999! Unreal :crazy:

CaptainRaiden
17th February 2011, 11:47
I doubt that we will win the world cup. Our players don't have the BMT to win big tournaments. I hope I am wrong, but I have to be realistic, this is a world cup and South Africa we are talking about!

Don't be so sure. I would rate South Africa's chances pretty high. Any two of the big three can make it to the finals, and then it would be who can do it without choking. And well, India has a history of cocking up right towards the end in the past, to be more precise, the semi finals.

AndyRAC
17th February 2011, 12:17
Ah, the ICC World Cup - how many people are aware of it? It seems the only country really bothered by it is, India. The ICC need to pull their fingers out and get more countries involved in it. A 14 team tournament which lasts 6 weeks, the FIFA version has 32 teams and lasts a month. Crazy.....

Have 4 groups of 4, top through go 1/4 finals. Simple!! However, the ICC have designed it so none of the big boys get knocked out early.

CaptainRaiden
17th February 2011, 12:38
Ah, the ICC World Cup - how many people are aware of it? It seems the only country really bothered by it is, India.

Too true. :p I remember was it the 1999 World Cup hosted by England? They asked Londoners outside Lord's about whether they knew what tournament was being hosted by their country. They had no clue! Probably 10% of them really only knew it was the Cricket World Cup. :crazy:

555-04Q2
18th February 2011, 05:02
Is it just me or was the opening ceremony cr@p? Also hated the singing, which was obviously pre-recorded with the singers just "moving their mouths about" :(

555-04Q2
18th February 2011, 05:03
it would be who can do it without choking

That rules us out then :p :

CaptainRaiden
18th February 2011, 10:13
Is it just me or was the opening ceremony cr@p? Also hated the singing, which was obviously pre-recorded with the singers just "moving their mouths about" :(

Just saw a glimpse of what you were talking about on Youtube and boy it's a disaster. And who the hell came up with the mascot. "Stumpy." :( :rolleyes:

Can't say India could have done a better job. My countrymen's tendency too is to go a bit over the top.

555-04Q2
18th February 2011, 10:52
Just saw a glimpse of what you were talking about on Youtube and boy it's a disaster. And who the hell came up with the mascot. "Stumpy." :( :rolleyes:

Can't say India could have done a better job. My countrymen's tendency too is to go a bit over the top.

Its almost as if this world cup was slapped together in a few weeks, not 4 years :(

CaptainRaiden
6th March 2011, 12:52
What's wrong with England's consistency? They tie their match with India, get beaten by Ireland, then beat South Africa?!? :confused:

Brown, Jon Brow
6th March 2011, 17:01
What's wrong with England's consistency? They tie their match with India, get beaten by Ireland, then beat South Africa?!? :confused:

The 2 wins and the draw against India were good results for England.

England versus Ireland is always going to be a tricky game for England. But I think the England team must be tiring by now after the long tours they've had.

555-04Q2
8th March 2011, 09:14
Our South African Chokers Team were at it again against our B side on Sunday :(

We are bloody useless when it comes to tournamants :down:

CaptainRaiden
8th March 2011, 10:45
The 2 wins and the draw against India were good results for England.

England versus Ireland is always going to be a tricky game for England. But I think the England team must be tiring by now after the long tours they've had.

Why is England versus Ireland going to be a tricky game for England? Ireland is generally a minnow team, and England should have defeated them comfortably, but instead they took it too easy.

Having said that, I would have had to eat my words as Ireland almost got India in a bad situation, even though India would have gotten there eventually since it was a pretty comfortable run rate. It was pretty even and close up to the point....until Pathan came in to bat. :D

Bob Riebe
8th March 2011, 19:44
We used to have cricket matches on TV here, I watched often back in the eighties-nineties, now we get the gawdawfully boring poker matches and other such rot instead.

CaptainRaiden
9th March 2011, 08:13
We used to have cricket matches on TV here, I watched often back in the eighties-nineties, now we get the gawdawfully boring poker matches and other such rot instead.

It's the same in the part of Europe where I am right now. Sports channels are filled with snow skiing events and triathlons and hugely boring and stupid poker matches. They'd rather show minuscule club football matches than World Cup Cricket. Hopefully they at least show the finals live. I think it's because Cricket is a difficult sport to understand and follow, and long too, that it doesn't attract new viewers. It's funny how it doesn't exist AT ALL here. It took me about an hour of replay footage to explain how the game works to my wife, who had only seen it once before on TV when she was in India. I had to explain what is a fast bowler, a spin bowler, LBW wickets, the wicket keeper's role, running between wickets, boundaries, sixes etc.

Compared to football, which has almost no rules which are this hard to understand, and is easy and straightforward (22 guys kicking a ball to get it into the rival's net, come on), Cricket probably is an acquired taste. :p

Anyway, India vs Netherlands today. Should be an easy one for India. ;)

ShiftingGears
9th March 2011, 08:41
The only match I've tuned into so far (only Australian games are broadcast on free to air) was Australia v Sri Lanka, which was hugely disappointing. Now Australia just play minnows for the next two matches, I will probably not bother watching them.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th March 2011, 11:03
Why is England versus Ireland going to be a tricky game for England? Ireland is generally a minnow team, and England should have defeated them comfortably,

This is the exact reason! England have nothing to win and evrything to lose against Ireland.

It doesn't matter what sport it is, the Irish will always be up for it and up their game if they are playing England.

11th March 2011, 15:41
Ireland showed very good performances against England..That was the best match so far in this tournament.

car shipping (http://www.a1autotransport.com)|auto transport quote (http://www.a1autotransport.com/quote/quote.php)

CaptainRaiden
3rd April 2011, 11:22
INDIA Win the ICC 2011 Cricket World Cup, beating three of the Cricket superpowers on their way to claiming the cup.

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/04/03/2276802/art_cricket_world_cup--2--420x0.jpg

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/04/03/2276801/art_cricket_world_cup--3--420x0.jpg

And the Man of the Match, the Indian captain. Had a crappy World Cup right up until the final where he showed his under-pressure batting prowess again:

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/04/03/2276742/art_cricket_world_cup--15--420x0.jpg

04854XqcfCY

So, India are finally World Champions again. :D I guess the team that cared most about it, in the end won it.

CaptainRaiden
3rd April 2011, 11:24
http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/131000/131007.jpg

CaptainRaiden
3rd April 2011, 11:38
110% Effort. And a game worthy of a World Cup final. Both teams gave their all.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/130900/130975.jpg

555-04Q2
4th April 2011, 06:10
So my prediction was right, Sri Lanka vs India final with India winning and Sout Africa choking again :(

Well done to the Indian team on a great win :up: Tendulkar finally gets the last accolade that he was looking for :)

harsha
4th April 2011, 06:24
We are the champions my friends..............WORLD CHAMPIONS \m/

still stuck in the hangover , def didn't want to come in to work today

555-04Q2
4th April 2011, 06:35
I think your whole country is stuck with a hangover today :p : And why not :)

harsha
4th April 2011, 06:40
yeah , just been one big party since saturday night , 8 beers , half a bottle of whiskey....two full tandoori chicken and you wonder why i don't have a hangover.....and a upset stomach to boot :D

aside though , the most entertaining match of the cup was the India Vs Saffers encounter....Saffers held their nerve so I thought that they had kicked their choking habit....it's vexing to see a team so obviously talented go off in the knockouts again...........

555-04Q2
4th April 2011, 06:43
Well it was to be expected. We didn't have our best team at the World Cup, not by a long shot. Our commentators over here have been talking about it. We should have taken Mark Boucher, Albie Morkel, Ryan McLaren etc then we may have had a chance. We had a 70% strength side at the WC. Choking...I mean losing was a given!

harsha
4th April 2011, 06:48
I think it was a good decision to replace Mark Boucher....Albie and Ryan , yeah they should have been in the team but think the saffer selectors went for a more Spin Oriented lineup , SA still have had the best team in the world cup , in Steyn , Morkel , Tahir (going the england way are we :D ) , Botha , Kallis , Petersen ....they had the best bowling lineup bar none....and they had the batting of Smith , Amla , Kallis , DeV etc too

I think the media have stressed so much on the choke part that the players actually believe it now. :( , hope you guys do better in the next WC.....If it wasn't India , my pick would have been SA...

555-04Q2
4th April 2011, 06:52
We deserved to fail...again. The players they left behind have been scoring 50's and 100's and taking wickets regularly in our local competition while the WC was going on. Boucher is our go to man. Remnember the 438 game, just to mention 1? He should have been there!!!

Anyway, well done to India :up: Great win from a great side. Lets hope they keep it up.

CaptainRaiden
4th April 2011, 08:32
Before the World Cup started, I definitely thought a 100% that the final was going to be India vs South Africa, or India vs England with India having lesser chance in both of those match-ups. But neither of those two teams even made it to the semi finals! And Sri Lanka hadn't lost a match all World Cup, and lost the final. Incredible. But still, what a great final it was. Tight and exciting.

555-04Q2
4th April 2011, 11:06
Thats the sad part for me. When our WC squad was announced, a lot of us over here said WTF are they thinking. The selectors and players talked the talk about the squad being the best we could send to the WC, but in reality it was far from it. The end result did not surprise many of us, but the selectors, management and players are dumbfounded. "Stupid is as stupid does".

It was always going to be India or Sri Lanka to win this WC with the possibility of Australia sneaking it, but the right team won it in the end for me :)

harsha
4th April 2011, 12:05
Before the World Cup started, I definitely thought a 100% that the final was going to be India vs South Africa, or India vs England with India having lesser chance in both of those match-ups. But neither of those two teams even made it to the semi finals! And Sri Lanka hadn't lost a match all World Cup, and lost the final. Incredible. But still, what a great final it was. Tight and exciting.

Sri Lanka lost a match against Pakistan , If anything , leaving their batting woes aside , Pakistan had a good chance of winning , just that they ran into the only team which could have beaten them in the semi's....anyway , great world cup , could have been better if the group matches were done away with and bangla , windies and ireland played a triangular to see which team would get the last quarterfinal berth :D

CaptainRaiden
4th April 2011, 17:57
Sri Lanka lost a match against Pakistan , If anything , leaving their batting woes aside , Pakistan had a good chance of winning , just that they ran into the only team which could have beaten them in the semi's....anyway , great world cup , could have been better if the group matches were done away with and bangla , windies and ireland played a triangular to see which team would get the last quarterfinal berth :D

Oops, yeah, you're right, Pakistan did beat Sri Lanka. Well, didn't get to see ANY World Cup matches, no group matches, no quarter finals, no semis, NOT EVEN the FINAL on any of the 100 TV channels in this part of Europe!! :eek: Cricket is dead here. During the India vs Sri Lanka final, they were showing live Curling on TV. :laugh:

So obviously, I had to figure out *cough* other ways *cough* to watch the final. Crap quality, but because of good internet speed, at least was able to see the final.

Malbec
4th April 2011, 18:36
II think the media have stressed so much on the choke part that the players actually believe it now.

I was in India for the South Africa/India match. The media might have accused the South Africans of choking but the Indian press were hardly holding back when it came to bashing their own side!

I'm no cricket fan but I have to say the atmosphere there during the world cup was pretty nice though not as intense as I expected. I think most Indians at the time were too scared to get their hopes up though...

harsha
5th April 2011, 12:55
I was in India for the South Africa/India match. The media might have accused the South Africans of choking but the Indian press were hardly holding back when it came to bashing their own side!

I'm no cricket fan but I have to say the atmosphere there during the world cup was pretty nice though not as intense as I expected. I think most Indians at the time were too scared to get their hopes up though...

nailed it , from my side , I would say that Indians didn't have their hopes high because you usually can't expect to win the world cup with one good bowler (Zaheer) and one average part timer (Yuvraj) in the side