PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to Rally Finland (From UK)

michaeljenkins89
16th February 2011, 08:21
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering travelling to Rally Finland this year on my own.

I've looked at the cost of flights, hire cars and tickets. All very reasonable!

Could someone please let me know where I can find stage maps?
And also which airport is the closest to the stages?

I've been to Rally GB for the past 9 years in a row, about 7 of those years I've always slept on the stages in the car parks (that are within walking distance), is this possible in Finland too?

I don't see the point in accomodation (Hotels etc) just seems easier to get a better spot by parking overnight.

Look forward to your comments!

Thanks
Michael Jenkins

J4MIE
16th February 2011, 08:28
Maps you will find in the program closer to the time, overview maps are generally available on the rally website closer also and you can see the general layout of the stages.

You can get a connecting flight via Helsinki to Jyvaskyla which is north of the town, as far as I can remember the flights there were slightly more expensive than the drive from Helsinki.

Sleeping on the stages is possible and done in huge numbers. It can get a bit noisy due to the drunks but there is plenty of places to go to to avoid.

I have been four times and it is easy to get around and the roads are MEGA :)

Julle69
16th February 2011, 09:17
Route has changed quite a lot for this year. They will drive in Lahti area this year in one day. Lahti is just 100km north from Helsinki. One reasonable airport is also Tampere where Ryanair have straight flights from UK.

michaeljenkins89
16th February 2011, 10:45
Thanks for your replies. I'd prefer to stay on the stages, I'm used to the drunks after attending Wales so many times. One years they were chopping down the forrest with a chainsaw 'till 4am to top their bonfire up with, next morning you could see them all still asleep an hour before the stage was due to go live! ha.

Are there any details on this years Rally Finland route?
Which airport do you think is best Tampere or Helsinki?

Roughly how far are the furthest stages apart? finding it difficult to work out any kind of fuel cost?

Thanks for your help
Mike

DonJippo
16th February 2011, 10:50

Route will be published 25th of February and you can find it from Rally Finland webpages http://www.nesteoilrallyfinland.fi/ on the same day.

COD
16th February 2011, 16:31
Thanks for your replies. I'd prefer to stay on the stages, I'm used to the drunks after attending Wales so many times. One years they were chopping down the forrest with a chainsaw 'till 4am to top their bonfire up with, next morning you could see them all still asleep an hour before the stage was due to go live! ha.

Which airport do you think is best Tampere or Helsinki?

Roughly how far are the furthest stages apart? finding it difficult to work out any kind of fuel cost?

Thanks for your help
Mike

Tampere is closer to Jyväskylä and like said here, cheaper flights with Ryanair. To Helsinki more flight options. Renting a car from Helsinki airport might be easier because it's a lot bigger airport but if done in time Tampere should be fine a shorter drive to Jyväskylä.

Rallyper
16th February 2011, 17:48
As the route of 2011 NORF will be between Lahti and Jyvaskyla, my advise is to fly to Helsinki and rent a car there. Like Donjippo said you´ll get an overview and also the stages in Rallyguide1 at the end of this month.

You´re doing a very good choice visiting NORF. It´s the best rally in the WRC-series.

J4MIE
21st February 2011, 22:26
Easyjet also fly to Helsinki, worth a look.

DonJippo
22nd February 2011, 09:18
Another budget airliner flying from London to Helsinki is Norwegian.

Juha_Koo
22nd February 2011, 13:32
I just realized that the route will be published on Friday. :D Can't wait!

Allyc85
22nd February 2011, 19:11
Hmm I was thinking of going to Finland for the WRC but decided against it as I couldnt find anyone to go with...