PDA

View Full Version : Bahrain finally cancelled! Finally official!

Pages : 1 [2]

BDunnell
7th May 2011, 14:36
I almost want it to go ahead, so appalling will it make Ecclestone look, not to mention any teams who do take part. Then, maybe, the reaction would be such as to force some major changes in the way the sport is run.

djparky
7th May 2011, 14:56
damn- leave aside the dubious morality of going there- it means that the season will finish with 2 of the dullest/soulless tracks on the calendar- so boring they make Hunagoring look good

steveaki13
7th May 2011, 15:21
This is a sham. How F1 could even consider going to Bahrain considering whats been happening there.

I hope the teams all boycott it.

As for Bernard Charles Ecclestone, he is proving to been driven only by money and power. He shows no real care or interest in Bahrain's people and instead takes the word of a government that is struggling to crush its own people's wishes and views.

Terrible Mistake.

Lets hope someone involved comes to their senses and says no.

SGWilko
7th May 2011, 16:44
not to mention any teams who do take part.

[TIC /on] Ferrari: it'll be 2005 USA GP all over again, their only chance of a genuine win this year! [/off]

Dave B
19th May 2011, 10:07
Another day, another story about the calendar potentially being shuffled to allow the trillionaire Bahrain royal family to have their own way:

Formula 1 chiefs are considering a move to make the Indian Grand Prix the season finale on December 4, AUTOSPORT has learned, as a way of slotting the Bahrain GP back on the calendar.

As discussions continue between Bernie Ecclestone, the FIA and Bahrain officials about the race returning to the schedule, high level sources have revealed that Indian officials have been asked to look at a race date change to help accommodate the Sakhir event.

Full story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91492

JUST CANCEL THE DAMN THING! :rolleyes:

Mark
19th May 2011, 12:44
Why should India get pushed around because of this? It's certain that a lot of people will already have made expensive travel arrangements to see the race in India, which almost certainly won't be able to be changed to accomodate a new date.

If you want to reschedule Bahrain then fine, but don't mess other hosts around in the process!

Mia 01
19th May 2011, 15:11
I like F1 races!

race_director
20th May 2011, 00:11
morality is nothing for FIA/f1 . all just need money. LIBYA/BAH same thing happening. ruler’s are killing there own people. Would f1 go into LIBYA now to race again in oct (taking hypotical situation of libya holding a race and got cancelled). Bah is a key ally for USA/UK/EU/NATO. so no one care’s of human right abuse. its a messed up world. this policy of double standard. FIA will go even to iraq to hold race if he get the money. No goverment in this world has imported troups from outside the country to kill its own people, even its now . USA and NATO has military base there . It imported military from saudi and UAE to kill the peaceful protest. In my opinion bah should never hold a race in its lifetime.

the link of the bahrain protest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Bahraini_uprising

i would not watch the race. will miss the 1st race in last 17 years.

Dave B
25th May 2011, 07:00
Is this really a country that should be given a race?
http://m.ft.com/cms/s/0/ad623440-856e-11e0-ae32-00144feabdc0.html

The Black Knight
25th May 2011, 12:14
Is this really a country that should be given a race?
http://m.ft.com/cms/s/0/ad623440-856e-11e0-ae32-00144feabdc0.html

No. Thanks but not thanks, Bahrain.

When they learn to treat their citizens properly then they should hold a race. While I agree F1 should be neutral to nature of Government to a certain degree, but if you have a leader that is willing to have his own people beaten for protests then he doesn't deserve to rule his people and he certainly doesn't deserve to have his dream of an F1 race come true.

BDunnell
25th May 2011, 12:20
No. Thanks but not thanks, Bahrain.

When they learn to treat their citizens properly then they should hold a race. While I agree F1 should be neutral to nature of Government to a certain degree, but if you have a leader that is willing to have his own people beaten for protests then he doesn't deserve to rule his people and he certainly doesn't deserve to have his dream of an F1 race come true.

It has always been impossible to separate sport and national politics, and I feel those who think otherwise are naive to do so. See the 1936 Olympics for the most potent example of all.

Dave B
25th May 2011, 13:38
^ Meant to give a hat tip to Joe Saward (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/bahrain-no-comment/)for the link, by the way. It was early :s

gloomyDAY
27th May 2011, 19:16
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91776

I see that the Elf is still beating a dead horse, and the Bahrainis are still shooting their citizens.

call_me_andrew
31st May 2011, 01:41
Dead horse? I think it's just a skeleton now.

Malbec
31st May 2011, 12:01
autosport.com - F1 News: Indian GP could move to December 11 (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91776)

I see that the Elf is still beating a dead horse, and the Bahrainis are still shooting their citizens.

Unbelievably it looks like the FIA also wants the Bahrain race to go ahead this year.

My suspicion is that it will go ahead, there is some serious pressure from the US and UK to normalise relations with Bahrain once things quieten down and I heard that the UK government sees a race as being good PR to show the world things are back to normal.

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen.

The Black Knight
31st May 2011, 12:13
Unbelievably it looks like the FIA also wants the Bahrain race to go ahead this year.

My suspicion is that it will go ahead, there is some serious pressure from the US and UK to normalise relations with Bahrain once things quieten down and I heard that the UK government sees a race as being good PR to show the world things are back to normal.

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen.

Me too. December 11th is simply too late to hold a GP in the year for the teams. If I were the teams, as part of the next Concorde agreement, I’d put in place that the season must be over by a certain date, say November 30th in any given year. That would end any rubbish like this ever happening again.

I don’t want the Bore-hain grand prix anyway. I can’t remember one time that I was excited watching that snooze fest.

Mark
31st May 2011, 12:25
Didn't they have an enforced factory shutdown in December anyway? Although I don't like the off seasons I certainly agree that the season should be finished by the end of November at the latest, and not start until the beginning of March.

AndyRAC
31st May 2011, 12:57
Didn't they have an enforced factory shutdown in December anyway? Although I don't like the off seasons I certainly agree that the season should be finished by the end of November at the latest, and not start until the beginning of March.

I'd agree with that - the season should be first weekend in March to the first weekend in November. Allows the other FIA series to finish their seasons without F1 overshadowing them.

Malbec
31st May 2011, 12:58
I would have thought that the fact that the same family that runs the race is in charge of torturing and killing its own citizens right now would be a bigger reason to cancel the race than the fact that its boring...

555-04Q2
1st June 2011, 13:24
The race should be cancelled for 2011. They had a date for the race, they couldn't meet that date, they lose the right to hold the race. Why should anyone else be penalised with a race in December or any other time for that matter. The F1 season is a logistical nightmare as it is, let alone when there is a race to be re-scheduled around 18 other races.

The Black Knight
2nd June 2011, 08:49
Decision time on Bahrain Grand Prix | Bahrain Grand Prix | F1 features | ESPN F1 (http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsport/story/50467.html)

This is a really good article on the Bahrain GP. I like Martin Williamsons take on things in general. Bahrain GP should be cancelled. I think this is agreed by most people that follow the sport.

Mark
2nd June 2011, 08:55
How can you go to a country where you can't get insurance to go there because the government advises against it?!

From the Foreign & Commonwealth office website

# We advise against all but essential travel to Bahrain until further notice.

You just can't go under those circumstances!

The Black Knight
2nd June 2011, 08:57
How can you go to a country where you can't get insurance to go there because the government advises against it?!

Surely it's essential that Bernie doesn't miss out on the 40 million race holding fee?

call_me_andrew
3rd June 2011, 04:35
Knowing Bernie, he'll try to reschedule the 2011 race in March 2012 as a doubleheader with the 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix. Considering most personnel at the track are paid by the weekend, greed may prevail in the face of [expletive deleted].

The Black Knight
3rd June 2011, 12:22
I really hope that F1 doesn't side with greed on this one and will not hold a GP in Bahrain this year.

martinbalmer
3rd June 2011, 13:21
According to @adamcooperf1 on Twitter it's go at Bahrain, on 30 October. Although FIA has yet to confirm that.

Edit: He's reporting simply what Bahrain are saying.

Dave B
3rd June 2011, 14:15

So if it does go ahead, will the teams and broadcasters be justified in boycotting it or will Bernie insist that they're bound to go?

I always knew that money talked, but now it seems it can shout louder than the protesters and the Saudi army :s

The Black Knight
3rd June 2011, 14:22
So if it does go ahead, will the teams and broadcasters be justified in boycotting it or will Bernie insist that they're bound to go?

I always knew that money talked, but now it seems it can shout louder than the protesters and the Saudi army :s

Yep, the FIA threatened to cancel the Spanish GP if there was any racism shown towards Lewis Hamilton.

Now they won't cancel a race in a country where it's leader is torturing and repressing its people for holding demonstrations.

Disgraceful. I will not watch the Bahrain GP if it is held and neither should anyone else.

SGWilko
3rd June 2011, 14:25
Yep, the FIA threatened to cancel the Spanish GP if there was any racism shown towards Lewis Hamilton.

Now they won't cancel a race in a country where it's leader is torturing and repressing its people for holding demonstrations.

Disgraceful. I will not watch the Bahrain GP if it is held and neither should anyone else.

Remember all the backing spanky got from the members after his peckadillos became public?

How much sway do the Bahranians have in these behind the scenes matters?

555-04Q2
3rd June 2011, 14:37
I've only missed 4 live races in the last 20 years. If it does go ahead I will watch it regardless of all the other cr@p around it.

The Black Knight
3rd June 2011, 14:47
Remember all the backing spanky got from the members after his peckadillos became public?

How much sway do the Bahranians have in these behind the scenes matters?

Quite a lot it seems as the WMSC meeting has now officially confirmed that the Bahrain GP will go ahead on October 30th.

Bernie says it's not about money. Something tells me that if I were to offer Bernie €40 million to hold a GP in my backyard this year he'd cut open his mother to accommodate me.

The Black Knight
3rd June 2011, 14:49
I've only missed 4 live races in the last 20 years. If it does go ahead I will watch it regardless of all the other cr@p around it.

That's a shame because people are being tortured in Bahrain for trying to exercise freedom of speech which they don't have. F1 shouldn't go near this country. No sport should go near a country where a leader tortures his own people.

Bagwan
3rd June 2011, 14:50
Oh , they can say they'll hold the race , but what could happen now ?

Teams could boycott en masse . McLaren might be unlikely to do so , but the rest could .

Drivers could boycott .

The people could revolt again , in time with team arrivals , or fan arrivals .
Ships arriving could be harassed . Airports could be harassed .

Trucks have vulnerable rubber tires .

This race is a jewel the royal family likes to show off , thus a perfect target for the people to speak to the world , live , about thier plight .

This has the potential to be a real mess , and nobody should be betting it will happen , until after it has .

555-04Q2
3rd June 2011, 14:52
That's a shame because people are being tortured in Bahrain for trying to exercise freedom of speech which they don't have. F1 shouldn't go near this country. No sport should go near a country where a leader tortures his own people.

China has far worse human right crimes than Bahrain yet they race there with no problem.

The Black Knight
3rd June 2011, 14:55
China has far worse human right crimes than Bahrain yet they race there with no problem.

Bahrain is quickly catching up. Not alone is this unsafe for the drivers but unsafe for the entire F1 circus as a whole.

Dave B
3rd June 2011, 15:08
Bahrain provisionally back on for Oct 30th.

India moved to finale but no date confirmed yet.

:s

Dave B
3rd June 2011, 15:10
Red Bull statement, of sorts:

Red Bull Racing has acknowledged the FIA World Motor Sport Council’s decision to go ahead with the 2011 Bahrain Grand Prix.
We will go through the correct channels and discuss this decision within the appropriate forum with the other F1 teams and our fellow FOTA members.

Source: 2011 Bahrain Grand Prix- Team Reaction (http://www.redbullracing.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Article/2011-Bahrain-Grand-Prix--Team-Reaction-021243027546084)

I'm sure the teams will have something to say. Difficult for those with backing from the area though...

SGWilko
3rd June 2011, 15:15
Why do I have a nasty feeling that this has more to do with politicking in respect of the 2013 Concorde than it is to do with the situation as it currently stands in Bahrain. Maybe that is a bit too cynical, but something stinks here.

UltimateDanGTR
3rd June 2011, 15:42
Oh dear.

truefan72
3rd June 2011, 15:51
the only good news about this is that it gives Alonso, Hamilton, Button and Webber an additional race to make up the deficit to Vettel.

Other than that, they should have left it off the calendar for this year and brought it back proper for next year.

Amazing to think that the season will be ending 6 months from now.
I for one love more races and 20-22 seems just about right, (22 if USA, Russia are added and turkey remains in 2012)

FIAT1
3rd June 2011, 16:43
Shame! I love this sport but will not watch that race .

djparky
3rd June 2011, 17:04
not good news- was hoping that we'd seen the back of this track. I don't remember the calendar in detail- does bringing this wretched race back mean that we'll be finishing the season with 4 Tilke- bore-dromes in a row?

jens
3rd June 2011, 17:50
I'm sort of glad that we are going to have 20 races this year instead of 19, but I'm perplexed about the decision to rate Bahraini GP as more valuable than the Indian GP, which means that the latter may still not take place this year (if everyone objects to the December date or whatever), while the former is decisively confirmed.

Malbec
3rd June 2011, 18:00
Why do I have a nasty feeling that this has more to do with politicking in respect of the 2013 Concorde than it is to do with the situation as it currently stands in Bahrain. Maybe that is a bit too cynical, but something stinks here.

Shocking decision but I think you're right. My suspicion is that all parties are interested in is avoiding cancellation fees except for the Bahraini royal family who genuinely want the race to run for PR reasons. Bernie and the FIA must know that by setting a date for the race all they are doing is giving the protesters a day to target on which to raise hell. If security deteriorates in the buildup to that weekend and the FCO releases travel warnings then the race is off regardless of what people have agreed to.

Terrible PR for the sport though, not only corrupt but supports regimes that torture and kill their own citizens...

Its also a sad indictment of Bahrain that they have nothing other than the GP with which to attract people to come visit their country. Not even nice beaches or towns to visit, just a GP thats only there because they pay over the odds for it.

nigelred5
3rd June 2011, 19:25
I can guarantee one thing, I won't watch it. Wouldn't have watched it before, won't watch it now. That track sucks and this shows that no matter what the circumstance, money rules the day in F1.

steveaki13
3rd June 2011, 21:20
This is a terrible decision by Bernie/FIA/F1. Who ever made this decision is putting many things in and around F1 in danger.

Not only is it plain wrong for a country that turned its guns on its own people after they asked for freedom, but if F1 does rock up in Bahrain later in the year, surely its a big target.

What if the Bahraini people, want to make a point and attack the F1 circus. Its risks lives of all those in F1 who shouldn't be forced into going into this country but also the Bahrain people who may end up having running battles with security.

This could be used as a focal point for the Bahrain people to bring down their rulers and F1 is going to be right in the middle of it.

Bad and Sad day for me.

Lives put at risk for the sake of a rich family's image and pleasure.

ioan
3rd June 2011, 23:37
What a load of crap from Bernie. :down:
And why the hell do the FIA and the teams go along with this lunatic? :down: :down:

ioan
3rd June 2011, 23:40
I can guarantee one thing, I won't watch it. Wouldn't have watched it before, won't watch it now. That track sucks and this shows that no matter what the circumstance, money rules the day in F1.

None of us should watch the race, teach the greedy ba$tards a lesson.

N. Jones
4th June 2011, 00:40
There is no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks I am watching this GP.
FGP results will be posted in record time on that weekend!

CNR
4th June 2011, 09:33
Mark one of a raft of critics of Formula One's decision to reschedule Bahrain Grand Prix
Webber angered by Bahrain decision | Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/formula-one/f1-world-motor-sport-council-agree-to-put-bahrain-grand-prix-back-on-2011-formula-one-calendar/story-e6frf3zl-1226069018466)

"When people in a country are being hurt, the issues are bigger than the sport. Let's hope the right decision is made."

Sonic
4th June 2011, 11:15
Listening to the radio on my way home from Senna last night, it said a 'day of rage' has already been planned for the new date of the GP.

Bernard, you sir, are a fool.

ioan
4th June 2011, 12:09
Listening to the radio on my way home from Senna last night, it said a 'day of rage' has already been planned for the new date of the GP.

Bernard, you sir, are a fool.

You're being way to kind on him...

inimitablestoo
4th June 2011, 12:55
I did wonder if this was all an attempt to make Sepp Blatter look like a paragon of virtue...

The Black Knight
4th June 2011, 13:27
Mark Webber has become the first F1 driver to speak out about the decision to reinstate the Bahrain GP:

Mark Webber (http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport/driver/1214.html) has become the first driver to make a statement on the decision to reinstate the Bahrain Grand Prix, saying "I do not feel at all comfortable going there to compete in an event".
Webber was the only driver to speak out prior to the WMSC's decision yesterday, saying "When people in a country are being hurt, the issues are bigger than sport. Let's hope the right decision is made." The FIA, however, have reinstated the race despite ongoing unrest in the Island Kingdom, and Webber issued a statement on his official website criticising the outcome.
"My opinion is unchanged since I was first asked about this in late February," Webber said. "Even though a decision has been made, I'll be highly surprised if the Bahrain Grand Prix goes ahead this year.
"In my personal opinion, the sport should have taken a much firmer stance earlier this year rather than constantly delaying its decision in hope of being able to re-schedule it in 2011. It would have sent a very clear message about F1's position on something as fundamental as human rights and how it deals with moral issues. It's obvious that the parties involved have struggled to reach a decision but sadly I feel that they still haven't made the right one. Like it or not, F1 and sport in general isn't above having a social responsibility and conscience. I hope F1 is able to return to Bahrain eventually but now isn't the right time.
"As a competitor I do not feel at all comfortable going there to compete in an event when, despite reassurances to the contrary, it seems inevitable that it will cause more tension for the people of that country. I don't understand why my sport wishes to place itself in a position to be a catalyst for that."

Fair play!

markabilly
4th June 2011, 13:31
Shame! I love this sport but will not watch that race .

China is far worse......but it is all about MONEY, MONEY, AND MORE MONEY

wedge
4th June 2011, 14:01
None of us should watch the race, teach the greedy ba$tards a lesson.

Did anybody watch the Beijing Olympics?

steveaki13
4th June 2011, 14:02
Good on Mark Webber, he has gained alot of respect from me for his courage to be the only one thus far to speak out.

Lets hope the rest follow suit.

markabilly
4th June 2011, 14:59

no

Cooper_S
4th June 2011, 15:11

No but I then I won't be watching London either but for different reasons...

Cooper_S
4th June 2011, 15:18
Damon Hill leads opposition to Bahrain Grand Prix rescheduling | Bahrain Grand Prix | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1 (http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsport/story/50566.html)

"It is important that Formula One is not seen to be only interested in putting on the show, whatever the circumstances, " Hill concluded. "You can't just base your decision to hold a race in a country on that country's ability to pay."

Hill's comments come in the light of another flippant remark from Bernie Ecclestone. He told CNN: "What's our problem in the world at the moment? Too many over-educated people. If we can find a way to do something about that then a lot of our problems will disappear."

anthonyvop
4th June 2011, 15:47

No No NO......Please don't bring up their hypocrisy. It will just make them "outraged"

52Paddy
4th June 2011, 18:32
He told CNN: "What's our problem in the world at the moment? Too many over-educated people. If we can find a way to do something about that then a lot of our problems will disappear."

Anybody have a shotgun?

ioan
4th June 2011, 19:53
He told CNN: "What's our problem in the world at the moment? Too many over-educated people. If we can find a way to do something about that then a lot of our problems will disappear."

Anybody have a shotgun?

He's not worth the bullets. :\

It's obvious that he never managed to outgrow his frustrations related to his career start.
I wonder how he feels when he has to sit at the same table with people like Newey, Brawn or LdM, all of them of much higher education. Did he mention anything in his new book about this? :D

The Black Knight
4th June 2011, 21:19
Good on Mark Webber, he has gained alot of respect from me for his courage to be the only one thus far to speak out.

Lets hope the rest follow suit.

That is why Webber is one of my favourite drivers. He may not be as quick as his teammate but the man is honest and he always has my respect for that. He would make a great World Champion.

Koz
5th June 2011, 07:38
Yes, Bahrain is evil while China, India, Russia, USA, etc are not...

Get real people the world is full of evil everywhere you look, if you care to look closely enough...

If its safe for the team, drivers and spectators lets get on with it.

wmcot
5th June 2011, 07:41
I agree that going there is stupid from the sporting side, but it may be great for the Bahraini people. They will have a world-wide audience hearing their voices. I don't know about the rest of the world, but coverage of the plight of the people of Bahrain has been overlooked by the news media in the US - they are more interested in Libya and Yemen.

wmcot
5th June 2011, 07:42

So Brazil is out, too? ;)

Koz
5th June 2011, 07:56
So Brazil is out, too? ;)

Yes!!!

We should just start racing on an unclaimed part of Antarctica or maybe the moon. :D

Koz
5th June 2011, 08:01
I don't know about the rest of the world, but coverage of the plight of the people of Bahrain has been overlooked by the news media in the US - they are more interested in Libya and Yemen.

You think perhaps that has even a tiny bit to do with the fact that they are allied with the USA?

ArrowsFA1
5th June 2011, 10:02
Credit to Damon Hill, Mark Webber and Max Mosley (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92002) for their comments.

Mark
5th June 2011, 10:03
The only thing that will make a difference is if the teams decide they aren't going. But as they too will suffer a big financial penalty for not racing.

steveaki13
5th June 2011, 10:38

Not sure it is going to be safe for the teams though. The weekend may become a target by the people protesting against there rulers.

Spectators would be safe as there won't be any there. ;)

Malbec
5th June 2011, 11:03

Sure, China, India, Russia and the US abuse human rights. Many other countries that host GPs also do to some degree or other and its easy to accuse F1 of hypocrisy for being outraged over Bahrain but not anywhere else.

The difference is this. The Bahraini Royal family own and run the Bahrain GP while they also order the torture and killings on the streets. No other GP is this closely identified with the state government or its policies. Also the Bahrainis specifically want to use this GP as a message to the outside world that everything is back to normal. They want to use it as a political tool and the FIA is happy with that despite pledging to be non-political in nature. By going, the sport is endorsing the Bahraini royal family and its policies.

Mia 01
5th June 2011, 11:54
Does you remember OS 1981 or the former country Rhodesia?

wmcot
5th June 2011, 23:25
You think perhaps that has even a tiny bit to do with the fact that they are allied with the USA?

No. I think it's more that they (Bahrain) is not a big audience draw for the media like Libya is. The US news media is all about money. Bigger names like Libya interest more viewers than Bahrain (most in the US would not know where the country is) so the news media chooses to cover the more known names. Yemen is only coming into the news because the US has a naval base there.

Sonic
5th June 2011, 23:48
I can't believe I am gonna say this but.....

autosport.com - F1 News: Mosley: Bahrain 'will cost F1 dear' (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92002)

...I agree with every word Mad Max says. :eek:

CNR
6th June 2011, 07:16
Bahrain Court Sentences 4 Detained Protesters to Death 28 Apr 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASYxi8N3M6g

how safe will it be ?
I can see terror attacks on that weekend
bernie you fu**en little a**hole

ShiftingGears
6th June 2011, 08:22
Sure, China, India, Russia and the US abuse human rights. Many other countries that host GPs also do to some degree or other and its easy to accuse F1 of hypocrisy for being outraged over Bahrain but not anywhere else.

The difference is this. The Bahraini Royal family own and run the Bahrain GP while they also order the torture and killings on the streets. No other GP is this closely identified with the state government or its policies. Also the Bahrainis specifically want to use this GP as a message to the outside world that everything is back to normal. They want to use it as a political tool and the FIA is happy with that despite pledging to be non-political in nature. By going, the sport is endorsing the Bahraini royal family and its policies.

That's a good point. Repulsive decision by the FIA.

Mark
6th June 2011, 08:37
Of course he can say that now. Were he still FIA President I have do doubt he'd have a different attitude.

Arjuna
6th June 2011, 10:48
F1 as a sport like any tourism programs reinstated in a region in the stage of recovery after having political conflict is one of tools to clear up image that the said nation is now conducive and fit for visits. I think if government of Bahrain declared such event can be held in the region, there will be consequences that multiple layers of protections deployed in order the event runs successfully. The worries may be too big than their internal crisis itself.
Majority of what he said make good sense :)

Mark
6th June 2011, 10:58
Just that it's easy for Mosley to talk now when his opinion is no longer that of the FIA. With all the vested interests involved if he was still in charge he may be taking a different view.

Retro Formula 1
6th June 2011, 12:55
I agree Mark which it is all the more galling that the argument Max makes is so compelling.

Is F1 apolitical? Is any sport?

I think there will be a lot more to come from this story and it will come back and bite the FIA on the ass.

inimitablestoo
6th June 2011, 19:05
Sadly the Times is no longer a free website, so I can't post a link, but I did read on the back of someone's copy this afternoon that there are now suggestions the FIA vote on the race may not have been quite as scrupulously above board as they would like us to think...

ioan
6th June 2011, 19:23

Get real people the world is full of evil everywhere you look, if you care to look closely enough...

And you probably live under a stone.

ioan
6th June 2011, 19:27
I can't believe I am gonna say this but.....

autosport.com - F1 News: Mosley: Bahrain 'will cost F1 dear' (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92002)

...I agree with every word Mad Max says. :eek:

Sad but true, he has more common sense than many people in F1, like for example Barrimoron:

"But for us, the drivers, what really matters is safety. The rest is not important."

autosport.com - F1 News: Concerns mount over Sakhir decision (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92034)

ioan
6th June 2011, 19:28
It would have to be a big one.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

ioan
6th June 2011, 19:30
Of course he can say that now. Were he still FIA President I have do doubt he'd have a different attitude.

You can not know that for sure.

ioan
6th June 2011, 21:53
[quote="telegraph.co.uk"]It is understood that Sheikh Abdullah bin Isa Al-Khalifa, the president of the Bahrain Motor Federation, and Stefano Domenicali, the team principal of Ferrari, were two who did put their hands up, both voting in favour of the race on Oct 30.

The latter&#8217]
Minister of Sport Hugh Robertson says there will be a 'disaster' if Bahrain Grand Prix goes ahead - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/8558244/Minister-of-Sport-Hugh-Robertson-says-there-will-be-a-disaster-if-Bahrain-Grand-Prix-goes-ahead.html)

:\

Daika
6th June 2011, 21:54
Not sure if this has been posted before:

BBC News - Bahrain protests: Trial opens for 47 doctors and nurses (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13673299)

"Dozens of doctors and nurses who treated injured protesters in Bahrain have appeared in court charged with attempting to topple the monarchy."

Really, are we really going back so that F1 can earn some coins?!

Dave B
7th June 2011, 07:58
Sadly the Times is no longer a free website, so I can't post a link, but I did read on the back of someone's copy this afternoon that there are now suggestions the FIA vote on the race may not have been quite as scrupulously above board as they would like us to think...

I can't comment on the fairness of the FIA vote, but one thing does leap to mind reading this Guardian article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/06/bahrain-grand-prix-fia-jean-todt):

[Jean Todt] also denied that he was embarrassed by the fact that his son is a business partner of Bahrain's Crown Prince Salman Bin Hamad Al-Khalifa, who has a 30% stake in Nicholas Todt's ART grand prix team.

I fail to understand how Jean could be regarded as impartial :s

ArrowsFA1
7th June 2011, 08:57
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is calling for a dramatic U-turn over the calendar reshuffle after the backlash that has been caused by the reinstatement of the Bahrain Grand Prix.
autosport.com - F1 News: Ecclestone wants U-turn on Bahrain (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92051)

ArrowsFA1
7th June 2011, 11:26
FIA president Jean Todt has left the door open for a potential rethink on the Bahrain Grand Prix returning to the calendar this year if having the race there proves too 'risky' for Formula 1.
autosport.com - F1 News: FIA will still monitor Bahrain situation (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92046)

Former FIA president Max Mosley believes that there is 'no chance' of the Bahrain Grand Prix going ahead this year, after suggesting the governing body cannot change the calendar without unanimous approval of the teams.
autosport.com - F1 News: Mosley: No chance Bahrain will go ahead (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92053)

SGWilko
7th June 2011, 11:39
I can't comment on the fairness of the FIA vote, but one thing does leap to mind reading this Guardian article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/06/bahrain-grand-prix-fia-jean-todt):

Ooooppppppsssss! That's a bollock well and truly dropped. The Todt's have a vested interest in maintaining the race......

Hmmmmmmm, some things in F1 will never change when it comes to behind the scenes chenanigans.

Daniel
7th June 2011, 13:02
Bahrain GP won't happen - Max Mosley | Formula 1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1 (http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/50827.html)

I'd happily bet the farm that he'd never say this stuff if he was still president....

I am evil Homer
7th June 2011, 13:06
sniping from the sidelines - how very big of him.

That said he is 100% correct in his assertions and the decision is stupid.

Daniel
7th June 2011, 13:08
sniping from the sidelines - how very big of him.

That said he is 100% correct in his assertions and the decision is stupid.

Agreed. Like you say, I agree with him. But you know damn well that if he was in JT's shoes he'd do the same thing.

Bagwan
7th June 2011, 13:58
Agreed. Like you say, I agree with him. But you know damn well that if he was in JT's shoes he'd do the same thing.

Have JT's shoes ever been barred from attending the Bahrain race ?

Max's have .

Daniel
7th June 2011, 14:34
autosport.com - F1 News: Ecclestone wants U-turn on Bahrain (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92051)

WOW. I never thought I'd see the day Bernie grew a small part of a spine....

Daniel
7th June 2011, 14:40
Have JT's shoes ever been barred from attending the Bahrain race ?

Max's have .

Point taken, as distasteful as I found Max's actions to be I don't feel it should be anyone elses business though.

ArrowsFA1
7th June 2011, 15:07
The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) has written to the sport's chiefs stating that its members do not want to race in Bahrain on the new October 30 date, AUTOSPORT can reveal, but teams are open to discussing a future slot for the event later in the year.
autosport.com - F1 News: FOTA requests delay to Bahrain return (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92061)

Mark
7th June 2011, 17:16
Later in the year? When? The end of October is pretty late already!

ioan
7th June 2011, 18:12

He obviously is not impartial at all.

ioan
7th June 2011, 18:14

Nah, he already showed his true colors, this is only a useless attempt to improve his tarnished image.

ioan
7th June 2011, 18:16

Well, you'll probably never see it anyway unless you believe his hogwash.

Malbec
7th June 2011, 18:30

Nah, vintage Bernie.

He's just realising how much the sponsors are against returning to Bahrain, and how much that could cost him in the long run financially.

Its been said though that there are a few people in the sport who feel they owe the Bahrainis who have invested heavily in F1 and have apparently helped out struggling teams in the past. I remember Bahrain becoming the main Jordan sponsor the season before the first Bahrain GP when the team were near the end and struggling badly. That might be a big factor in the FIA's decision to support Bahrain. Its a shame they didn't look at the big picture before deciding though.

ArrowsFA1
8th June 2011, 13:05
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says the Bahrain Grand Prix is unlikely to go ahead this year despite the FIA giving the green light to the event last week.
autosport.com - F1 News: Ecclestone says Bahrain GP now unlikely (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92069)

Ranger
8th June 2011, 13:22
There is only ever one reason behind a Bernie Ecclestone decision - his wallet.

It's as simple as:

a) Where would the money be lost?
b) From who/where is the profit made?

He's just realising how much the sponsors are against returning to Bahrain, and how much that could cost him in the long run financially.

And there's your answer.

inimitablestoo
8th June 2011, 15:07
As much as I'm in favour of Bernie changing his mind on this, I hope he doesn't try to claim the moral high ground now.

markabilly
8th June 2011, 15:13
Just that it's easy for Mosley to talk now when his opinion is no longer that of the FIA. With all the vested interests involved if he was still in charge he may be taking a different view.

Unless he was not getting some of the usual money sub rosa, then i am sure his words would be the same.....otherwise... :rolleyes:

Money, money money determines morality for these boys

I am evil Homer
8th June 2011, 15:15
Is there any money on the moral high ground? If not there must be some good PR...it's the only two reasons Bernie does anything.

markabilly
8th June 2011, 15:17
Not sure if this has been posted before:

BBC News - Bahrain protests: Trial opens for 47 doctors and nurses (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13673299)

"Dozens of doctors and nurses who treated injured protesters in Bahrain have appeared in court charged with attempting to topple the monarchy."

Really, are we really going back so that F1 can earn some coins?!

everything will be fine, as long as no one with F1 gives any aid to protestors.....you know, like a cup of water or a bandaid

ArrowsFA1
8th June 2011, 15:48
Strikes me there may be a bit more to this than money or PR. The FIA - the governing body - have said the race is going ahead. Now both the teams and Bernie appear to be saying "oh no it isn't". Whose decision is it to make? The FIA, Bernie/CVC or the teams?

Is Bernie siding with the teams against the FIA as part of an attempt to wrest control of F1 away from the FIA, and does that again raise the prospect of a breakaway series?

Shifter
8th June 2011, 17:05
Probably won't happen, but I'm envisioning a 2011 Bahrain GP contested by 4 cars -- two McLaren's and two Ferrari's.

Mark
8th June 2011, 17:22
Of course even if the 2011 race is cancelled, we'll still have an issue when March 2012 rolls around.

Malbec
8th June 2011, 17:53
Strikes me there may be a bit more to this than money or PR. The FIA - the governing body - have said the race is going ahead. Now both the teams and Bernie appear to be saying "oh no it isn't". Whose decision is it to make? The FIA, Bernie/CVC or the teams?

Is Bernie siding with the teams against the FIA as part of an attempt to wrest control of F1 away from the FIA, and does that again raise the prospect of a breakaway series?

Taking things purely at face value its a catastrophic error by the FIA, in particular by Todt and Garcia who went to inspect Bahrain and declared it fine.

The thing is that the teams all have a getout clause. We all know that the GP weekend will be a focus for protests, and that as soon as the violence starts the FCO will issue travel warnings invalidating insurance so the teams can't go.

What saddens me is that Mark Webber (and possibly Boullier) aside, not a single F1 team or person has come out and said F1 shouldn't go because of the morality of whats happening there. All the press releases only refer to team/driver security or the logistics of having a race in the Middle East in December as if that was the only problem. Instead of making a moral stand and refusing to race because of the torturing and killing, they are waiting for their insurance companies to give them an excuse not to go. Spineless.

While I understand the political reasons the teams won't make a stand against Bahrain it makes the sport look even more of an amoral shambles.

steveaki13
8th June 2011, 20:01
This is just another crazy turn in a stupid situation.

How long before they announce race is on again.

FIA = Joke. :down:

fionac
8th June 2011, 20:07
they shouldnt go this season and i think imo they shouldnt go back at all

steveaki13
8th June 2011, 20:18

Welcome

Garry Walker
8th June 2011, 21:30
Taking things purely at face value its a catastrophic error by the FIA, in particular by Todt and Garcia who went to inspect Bahrain and declared it fine.

The thing is that the teams all have a getout clause. We all know that the GP weekend will be a focus for protests, and that as soon as the violence starts the FCO will issue travel warnings invalidating insurance so the teams can't go.

What saddens me is that Mark Webber (and possibly Boullier) aside, not a single F1 team or person has come out and said F1 shouldn't go because of the morality of whats happening there. All the press releases only refer to team/driver security or the logistics of having a race in the Middle East in December as if that was the only problem. Instead of making a moral stand and refusing to race because of the torturing and killing, they are waiting for their insurance companies to give them an excuse not to go. Spineless.

While I understand the political reasons the teams won't make a stand against Bahrain it makes the sport look even more of an amoral shambles.

Completely agree. Most F1 people are complete cowards and have zero backbone.

52Paddy
8th June 2011, 22:04

Welcome. Do I detect some Irish connection with that username? :)

CNR
8th June 2011, 22:52
Probably won't happen, but I'm envisioning a 2011 Bahrain GP contested by 4 cars -- two McLaren's and two Ferrari's.
Formula 1 black flags Bahrain race after this leaked report (http://jalopnik.com/5809875/formula-1-black-flags-bahrain-race-after-this-leaked-report)

it's that Ecclestone says the FIA vote was meaningless because F1 forgot a clause in its bylaws that requires any race rescheduling to have the approval of its teams. Since the vote, 11 of the 12 teams have told Ecclestone they object to racing in Bahrain.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57379543/FIA-Bahrain-Report-FULL

Mark
10th June 2011, 08:52
Well it's finally officially off!
http://www.motorsportforums.com/formula-1-news/145922-bahrain-withdraws-2011-calendar.html#post931051

UltimateDanGTR
10th June 2011, 10:15
thank goodness, sense finally prevails, after some lengthy dithering and mind changing. now, if they had just have made this decision 3 months ago...

CNR
10th June 2011, 12:45
FIA ask Ecclestone to confirm Bahrain is off
FIA ask Ecclestone to confirm Bahrain is off | Reuters (http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/06/10/idINIndia-57627320110610)

Nikki Katz
10th June 2011, 18:06
What I don't get is why Bernie now has to make a request to the FIA to remove Bahrain from the calendar when they already asked him to do it. Wasn't it Bernie that added it back and tried to force through 21 races for next year?

I hope that it's Bahrain that's dropped from next year's calendar - if things aren't stable enough to hold a race in October then how likely is it that it'll all be sorted by April? Isn't it best to wait until the issue is resolved before adding it back? Also, Turkey is a much better circuit.

Mark
10th June 2011, 18:12
The race removal request is a procedural formality.

steveaki13
10th June 2011, 21:43
Hoorah!

At Last

Give it six months and we will have it all over again for the 2012 race.

Hitnrun
11th June 2011, 04:42
Completely agree. Most F1 people are complete cowards and have zero backbone.

But I guess that is what they deserve for racing in a country that is ruled by a vile religion which considers women to be worthless creatures and which promotes hatred against "infidels".

Bahrain is Catholic?!?

52Paddy
11th June 2011, 12:15
Bahrain is Catholic?!?

Now, now! That's unnecessary.

CNR
14th June 2011, 08:58
PressTV - 'Bahrain regime punishes for nothing' (http://www.presstv.com/detail/184607.html)

This is a huge punishment for a young girl for what was a non-existent offense. It actually shows you the insecurity of the thugs and murderers who rule in Bahrain.

They have been completely shaken by the international response over the attempt to hold the F1 motor race and they are now cracking down on anything in a panic. And of course it's utterly shameful that the idiots in the UK foreign office are supporting these thugs, these murders and these torturers.

We cannot hold up too much hope unless we ourselves keep the pressure up as we succeeded with stopping the F1 motor race.

CNR
18th June 2011, 01:51
After F1 Setback, Bahrain (http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/2011/06/17/after-setback-bahrain-crackdown-still-on-high-gear/)
After F1 Setback, Bahrain’s Crackdown Still on High Gear

The Black Knight
13th July 2011, 12:07
Bahrain GP boss hits out at 'temperamental' teams | Bahrain Grand Prix | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1 (http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsport/story/54179.html)

Check out this asshole. I can't remember the last time the people of Melbourne were being suppressed or limited prevented from holding peaceful protests that a F1 event was being held.

steveaki13
13th July 2011, 21:19
Unbelievable, I can't believe he can actually by trying this on. Another reason to wonder if F1 should ever venture there again.

ioan
13th July 2011, 21:24
Bahrain GP boss hits out at 'temperamental' teams | Bahrain Grand Prix | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1 (http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsport/story/54179.html)

Check out this asshole. I can't remember the last time the people of Melbourne were being suppressed or limited prevented from holding peaceful protests that a F1 event was being held.

The worst part of it is this:

"Bernie [Ecclestone] voted for it. On the June 8, I met him here in London. He said, 'There is resistance from the teams but if you want I'll push for it. We'll get it sorted.' He even gave us the option of holding it on December 4. This was never about Bernie losing money by not having a race in Bahrain."

Bernie would host a GP in Afghanistan if someone paid him for. :\

steveaki13
13th July 2011, 21:55

Just think of all the opium money the talaban could bid to host a race there around the land mines.

vhatever
14th July 2011, 03:34
I love how all the left wing loony euro fools have a problem with Bahrain but not China or Malaysia. ROFLMAO.

Garry Walker
17th July 2011, 20:58

Wow, much stupidity from this guy, what the hell is he on?

Garry Walker
17th July 2011, 20:59

Wow, much stupidity from this guy, what the hell is he on?