PDA

View Full Version : WRC Sweden - points?

neil40
15th February 2011, 01:39
Can someone explain how the points were allocated in Sweden.
The official allocation should be 25,18,15,12,10,8,6,4,2,1
Yet, they were allocated:
25 - Hirvonen
18 - Ostberg
16 - Latvala
15 - Ogier
10 - Solberg
10 - Loeb
6 - Andersson
4 - Raikkonen
2 - Wilson
1 - Al Qassimi

Why is this?
Thanks
Neil

15th February 2011, 02:12
Power stage..

MR666
15th February 2011, 03:10
Power stage..

I didn't even know you could get points from the power satge, its a nice idea.

Couldn't find on wrc.com any thing about the points but did find this via google:

http://www.madeinmotorsport.com/en/headlines/news-wrc-live-power-stage-on-swedish-rally-16104.html

The three fastest drivers on the “Power Stage” will recieve 3, 2 and 1 point respectively.

With a “Power Stage” in all the WRC events in 2011 there is a theoretical possibility for a driver to collect 39 bonus points. “Power Stage” could have an effect on the entire championship and might be deciding in the final calculations for the championship title.

RICARDO75
15th February 2011, 11:09
Can someone explain how the points were allocated in Sweden.
The official allocation should be 25,18,15,12,10,8,6,4,2,1
Yet, they were allocated:
25 - Hirvonen
18 - Ostberg
15 - Latvala
15 - Ogier
10 - Solberg
8 - Loeb
6 - Andersson
4 - Raikkonen
2 - Wilson
1 - Al Qassimi

Why is this?
Thanks
Neil

25 - Hirvonen
18 - Ostberg
15+1 - Latvala (3rd on power stage)
12+3 - Ogier (1st on power stage)
10 - Solberg
8+2 - Loeb (2nd on power stage)
6 - Andersson
4 - Raikkonen
2 - Wilson
1 - Al Qassimi

MrJan
15th February 2011, 11:58
I didn't even know you could get points from the power satge, its a nice idea.

I disagree, I think it's a bull**** idea. Imagine if you spend 3 days putting in consistent times and plugging your way up the leaderboard. Across 20 stages you've done alright and have managed to get top ten to finish 9th. Then some plum comes along, possibly entering via Superally, wins one tiny little stage that's less than 3 minutes long and takes 3 points from it.

It's bollocks, designed for short attention span window lickers that can't understand what rallying is all about. Just IMO an' all that though.

bluuford
15th February 2011, 12:08
25 - Hirvonen
18 - Ostberg
10 - Solberg
6 - Andersson
4 - Raikkonen
2 - Wilson
1 - Al Qassimi
I was just browsing FIA regulations and especially the section describing tiebreakers. There is no word about Power stages. So, who actually starts fifth in Mexico? Loeb or Solberg?
Rules say:
For drawing up the final classification of a Championship, the rule for deciding between drivers and codrivers
who have scored exactly the same points total shall be:

10.1.1 According to the greater number of first places, then second places, then third places, etc.,
achieved in the general classifications of the rallies which have served to make up their points total;

So, if there is a tie between two drivers, then their place on general standings will be taken into account. That means Solberg should start fifth :-)

Doon
15th February 2011, 12:24
I disagree, I think it's a bull**** idea. Imagine if you spend 3 days putting in consistent times and plugging your way up the leaderboard. Across 20 stages you've done alright and have managed to get top ten to finish 9th. Then some plum comes along, possibly entering via Superally, wins one tiny little stage that's less than 3 minutes long and takes 3 points from it.

It's bollocks, designed for short attention span window lickers that can't understand what rallying is all about. Just IMO an' all that though.

Spot on!

It's all about TV viewing figures. I can't work out why they think it'll make any difference!? Rallying is not a popular sport and never will be again. It's not glamourous like F1, football etc, so in todays modern world has no value to the majorty of the vein, pretensious, boneidle, celebrity-wannabe public.

How about we just do it like we know how and let the hardcore fans enjoy, because the promoters are kidding themselves if they think anyone else follows the WRC.

On a positive note, I must say as a harecore fan that EPSN's coverage of Sweden was the best i've ever seen....

MrJan
15th February 2011, 12:32
Yeah the ESPN coverage did seem quite good, although part of that may be down to the rally being a great competition. I just wish that they'd stop with the "oh and he's spun!!" stuff, pretending like they're watching it live (unless it's the power stage, which is live). When I watch end of day highlights I'm fully aware that everything has already happened and no amount of fake exclamation will make me think otherwise.

Also annoying having to wait for someone to upload the video ;)

AndyRAC
15th February 2011, 13:16
Spot on!

It's all about TV viewing figures. I can't work out why they think it'll make any difference!? Rallying is not a popular sport and never will be again. It's not glamourous like F1, football etc, so in todays modern world has no value to the majorty of the vein, pretensious, boneidle, celebrity-wannabe public.

How about we just do it like we know how and let the hardcore fans enjoy, because the promoters are kidding themselves if they think anyone else follows the WRC.

On a positive note, I must say as a harecore fan that EPSN's coverage of Sweden was the best i've ever seen....

While I agree - the 'problem' is that 10+ years ago the 'powers-that-be' thought the sport was bigger than it was - and thought it could become even bigger if they could attract TV - in turn that would generate more mainstream media, etc
Was never really going to work - it's a minority sport. The problem there aren't that many fans to appeal/ advertise to - so to try and attract 'new' fans - short, made-for-TV stages are brought in. I'd like to see them try a slightly longer stage, say over 5-7 mins long, and include split times, were possible.

neil40
15th February 2011, 13:47
25 - Hirvonen
18 - Ostberg
10 - Solberg
6 - Andersson
4 - Raikkonen
2 - Wilson
1 - Al Qassimi

Thanks for the replies folks
I didn't realise that had been introduced.
As others have said, can't see it adding any value though

serial jeff
15th February 2011, 13:49
I just wish that they'd stop with the "oh and he's spun!!" stuff, pretending like they're watching it live (unless it's the power stage, which is live). When I watch end of day highlights I'm fully aware that everything has already happened and no amount of fake exclamation will make me think otherwise.

YES!! this annoys me so much

Brother John
15th February 2011, 14:00

I like it because if you travel to a rally and for everyone who is present want to see also on Sunday rally, WRC is not only for TV or those who follows rallyon Internet!!!
Organisation need mony, money, and wants to sell rally tickets. Drivers must fight continue for points until the finich!!!

MrJan
15th February 2011, 14:22
I like it because if you travel to a rally and for everyone who is present want to see also on Sunday rally, WRC is not only for TV or those who follows rallyon Internet!!!
Organisation need mony, money, and wants to sell rally tickets. Drivers must fight continue for points until the finich!!!

If there's anything that Sweden showed it was that Sunday is still an important day without the circus act, which, IMO, completely devalues the rest of the event. If they want sponsors to award some prize money or whatever then that would just about be okay with me, but awarding championship points is a joke.

Zico
15th February 2011, 16:22
So, if there is a tie between two drivers, then their place on general standings will be taken into account. That means Solberg should start fifth :-)

Will Petter still be getting his 10 points though after his Co-driver drove the power stage?

Mise
15th February 2011, 16:28
Why not make the power stage a different championship as in Nordic skiing
where they hav the sprint competition. Every rally would have its own power stage
and after the season the driver with most point is
THE POWER STAGE CHAMPION. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

And from the power stage you couldn't score points for the
WRC championship.

Camelopard
15th February 2011, 21:30

I have to agree with you!

tfp
15th February 2011, 23:31
Why not make the power stage a different championship as in Nordic skiing
where they hav the sprint competition. Every rally would have its own power stage
and after the season the driver with most point is
THE POWER STAGE CHAMPION. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

And from the power stage you couldn't score points for the
WRC championship.

And, after the power stage, the non-hardcore fans might think the winner of the powerstage has won the rally, and they probably couldnt understand why citroen won the only stage that they saw, and yet there are 3 fords on the poduim:-)

tfp
15th February 2011, 23:40
Just found this, I know it has nothing to do with the thread, but thought it was quite funny:-)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20110215/tuk-finger-biker-fined-for-speeding-6323e80.html