PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to have a long or a short final leg?

cosmicpanda
14th February 2011, 00:03
Rally Jordan 2008 and Rally Finland 2010 are the only WRC events that I can recall where the final leg was the longest, and Rally Finland was run to an atypical two leg format. In Finland tactics didn't matter but in Jordan they did, thanks to the heavy gravel on the stages.

Now, regardless of whether the top ten are reversed or not, I would think that a longer final leg means more excitement, even should there be significant time gaps by the end of leg two. However, it's tricky to have a long final leg as often rallies finish in the afternoon (I recall there was a rule stating that this had to be so, I can't remember if it still is), and this limits the amount of time available for driving.

With today's system of the leader being first on the road, a short final leg reduces the impact of tactics at the end of leg two, as it would minimise the effect of road sweeping. However, even when rallies were still run with reversed top tens (all this does, in my opinion, is shift the tactics to the drivers fighting in tenth), rallies tended to favour short final legs. Take Argentina 2006, when the final leg consisted of one run over El Condor, one run over Mina Clavero, and two superspecials for an epic total leg distance of 41.30 km. That's an extreme example but it's not unusual for a final leg to have only two repeated stages as opposed to three or four repeated stages found on other legs, and for the usual leg three length to be around 60 - 90 km as opposed to the 120 - 140 km averages on the first two legs. Interestingly, though, there also seems to be a trend of having 'interesting' final legs that feature classic stages like El Condor, Col de Turini or Whaanga Coast. At the very least, there tends to be at least a long stage, or a loop of stages run without a service break.

So I ask the forum: do you prefer a shorter final leg that minimises the effects of tactics and possibly features the most famous stages of the rally, or do you prefer a longer leg that means that the results have more potential to change by the end of the day?

tmx
14th February 2011, 00:29
I think longer stage is more exciting for the fans, and shorter stage is easier for the TV coverage, and obviously they'll prefer shorter stages.

I think longer stage have element of unpredictability as well as more chances of things to go wrong and the excitement building up, as we remember from last year New Zealand and Monte Carlo last stages.

Eddie P
17th February 2011, 14:31
A longer stage is good if you're behind and looking to make up some time. A shorter stage is good if you're in the lead.

turves
17th February 2011, 15:06
Personally, I think the final day should consist of two loops of three stages, the first of which should be medium length, the middle stage the longest of the rally, and a short final stage for 24...

DIMI44
17th February 2011, 15:07
I prefer short 3rd leg with only ONE ss of 50 klms.

N.O.T
17th February 2011, 15:36
it doesn't really matter i think...

Mirek
17th February 2011, 15:58
Agree. I also think that it's better to have some variety and not just same scenario every time.

AndyRAC
17th February 2011, 19:14
Agree. I also think that it's better to have some variety and not just same scenario every time.

Exactly - we've grown accustomed to most events being the same. Will any organiser try and do a 'Monte style' finish at night??

Lalo
28th February 2011, 13:35
Rally Jordan 2008 and Rally Finland 2010 are the only WRC events that I can recall where the final leg was the longest, and Rally Finland was run to an atypical two leg format. In Finland tactics didn't matter but in Jordan they did, thanks to the heavy gravel on the stages.

Now, regardless of whether the top ten are reversed or not, I would think that a longer final leg means more excitement, even should there be significant time gaps by the end of leg two. However, it's tricky to have a long final leg as often rallies finish in the afternoon (I recall there was a rule stating that this had to be so, I can't remember if it still is), and this limits the amount of time available for driving.

With today's system of the leader being first on the road, a short final leg reduces the impact of tactics at the end of leg two, as it would minimise the effect of road sweeping. However, even when rallies were still run with reversed top tens (all this does, in my opinion, is shift the tactics to the drivers fighting in tenth), rallies tended to favour short final legs. Take Argentina 2006, when the final leg consisted of one run over El Condor, one run over Mina Clavero, and two superspecials for an epic total leg distance of 41.30 km. That's an extreme example but it's not unusual for a final leg to have only two repeated stages as opposed to three or four repeated stages found on other legs, and for the usual leg three length to be around 60 - 90 km as opposed to the 120 - 140 km averages on the first two legs. Interestingly, though, there also seems to be a trend of having 'interesting' final legs that feature classic stages like El Condor, Col de Turini or Whaanga Coast. At the very least, there tends to be at least a long stage, or a loop of stages run without a service break.

So I ask the forum: do you prefer a shorter final leg that minimises the effects of tactics and possibly features the most famous stages of the rally, or do you prefer a longer leg that means that the results have more potential to change by the end of the day?

In Mexico 2005 the final stage of the rally (or at least one of them on the final leg) was a monster 50 kms. stage that Loeb used to make up on the time lost after a broken wheel on leg one.

I would prefer a long final leg, as more kilometers are equal to more chances of a crash or an off. On close fights on final legs (like in Sweden a few weeks ago or in NZ 2007) it's great to have some stages to race untill the finish line.