PDA

View Full Version : WRC Sweden, An incredible start to 2011

Daniel Darrall
13th February 2011, 22:40
This weekend was an incredible start to the 2011 season with all sorts of things going on. Most of all Mikko wins Rally Sweden, and heads a Ford 1-2-3 with young norwegian driver doing a great job to finish 2nd. fantastic. Check out my review on the event: - http://t.co/x2NkBYo

Also the Power stage was great to see on TV live, Petter's co-driver had to take over for the stage, all explain here - http://t.co/HgPTifq

Can't wait for Mexico. - So whos gonna win there?

tfp
13th February 2011, 23:32
I agree, and to have five drivers going for a win on the last day was really good.
Who will wi Mexico? Probably Loeb for a change, given citroens record and his running position there...

GigiGalliNo1
14th February 2011, 00:41
But will he be able to keep his lead on Day 2/3 if he's sweeping?

tmx
14th February 2011, 00:53
But will he be able to keep his lead on Day 2/3 if he's sweeping? This is an old argument, but that was how it was in the past, but the drivers didn't complain. I'd be more worried by the dust from 1 minute start gaps.

Plan9
14th February 2011, 01:55
I hope that Hirvonen can capitalize on his Sweden results and not let Leob get too far ahead. On the other hand I don't know if you will be able to judge either the ford or citroen's potential till Portugal

Langdale Forest
14th February 2011, 07:06
Don't forget that Petter Solberg has always done well in Mexico, and he will have a good road position on day 1.

ProRally
14th February 2011, 07:33
Indeed it was a GREAT WRC Sweden, prefect weather (although quite cold day 2 and 3) , the new cars look good, drivers are motivated , lets see how they feel and go in Mexico, 2 more weeks before I leave to Leon, for sure it will be warmer there than Hagfors ... :D :D :D

Donney
14th February 2011, 08:00
Great start indeed, I can't remember so many drivers fighting for the win in many years. And the new cars are great to see and hear!!!!!

WRCfan
14th February 2011, 09:27
The WRC seems to have had a new lease on life. It's great for the sport and was a pleasure to follow for the three days. What a way to kick off 2011!

52Paddy
14th February 2011, 13:05
The WRC seems to have had a new lease on life. It's great for the sport and was a pleasure to follow for the three days. What a way to kick off 2011!

I agree with this. I really didn't expect the new reg cars to put on as much of a show as they did. As someone who didn't follow the sport properly since about 2007, I'm delighted that 2011 has kicked off in such form. Let's hope this continues for the rest of the season and we can have an open battle for the championship. If this happens to be the case, we could see the start of a WRC revival and a flood of manufacturers entering ( one can dream... :angel: ).

F1boat
14th February 2011, 15:25
Great rally, I enjoyed it very much. But in Mexico I think that Loeb will fight back!

Roy
14th February 2011, 15:41
Great rally, I enjoyed it very much. But in Mexico I think that Loeb will fight back!

He had to! Day one is perfect for him. Loeb has a good road position, if the dust blow away.

Great exiting rally congrats to Malcolm, Mikko and Mads!

koko0703
14th February 2011, 15:43
I agree that it was a good start to the new era of WRC, and it is always nice to see new talent coming in (although Mads is not exactly new).

tfp
14th February 2011, 22:36
This is an old argument, but that was how it was in the past, but the drivers didn't complain. I'd be more worried by the dust from 1 minute start gaps.

True, and I dont think Ogier will listen to team orders if they tell him to back off for Loeb:-)

Krigen
14th February 2011, 22:43
This is an old argument, but that was how it was in the past, but the drivers didn't complain. I'd be more worried by the dust from 1 minute start gaps.

it`s 2 min start gap???

tfp
14th February 2011, 22:46
it`s 2 min start gap???

I thought that aswel! I might be wrong though.

tmx
15th February 2011, 03:03
it`s 2 min start gap???

Sorry, I made a mistake, they announced the 1minute concept last year and I thought they kept it, apparently its 2 minutes for the top drivers.

The first 20 P1 and P2 drivers on the start list and on the re-start lists will have an interval
between their start times of at least 2 minutes.
All other cars will start with an interval of at least 1 minute.

What I hope is the new Ford engine will work well with high altitude so there'll be another good battle, the previous Focus did pretty poorly in Mexico against Citroen.

pino
15th February 2011, 07:02
What an amazing event, I was there and once again I've enjoyed every single moment of it. And hopefully this is a great start of a closed fight for the title :up:

F1boat
15th February 2011, 07:08
True, and I dont think Ogier will listen to team orders if they tell him to back off for Loeb:-)

I hope for no team orders. I support Loeb, but if Ogier is faster, so be it. It's way too early for team orders.

N.O.T
15th February 2011, 07:27

Citroen pays the bills and made ogier and loeb millionares....when citroen tells them to jump they do not even ask how high...this goes for any professional driver.

are you guys for real ??

Zico
15th February 2011, 09:14
Citroen pays the bills and made ogier and loeb millionares....when citroen tells them to jump they do not even ask how high...this goes for any professional driver.

are you guys for real ??

Any professional driver? Well after seeing Ostberg finish 2nd in Sweden......

N.O.T
15th February 2011, 09:38
is ostbegr employed by ford ?? does m-sport paying him?? did Malcom wislon order ostberg to fall back and he didn't comply ??

guys...please attend a basic phrase comprehension seminar then post...its getting ridiculous.

Francis44
15th February 2011, 09:50
Ostberg is not paid by Ford, In fact, I think he had to pay for his drive.

And Ogier a millionaire already?! Yeah right :rolleyes: .

N.O.T
15th February 2011, 09:55
Ostberg is not paid by Ford, In fact, I think he had to pay for his drive.

And Ogier a millionaire already?! Yeah right :rolleyes: .

yes ogier is one already...

Iskald
15th February 2011, 10:10
is ostbegr employed by ford ?? does m-sport paying him?? did Malcom wislon order ostberg to fall back and he didn't comply ??

guys...please attend a basic phrase comprehension seminar then post...its getting ridiculous.

Your patronizing way of adressing fellow forumers is becoming incredibly annoying!
To the topic: Østberg is not employed by Ford. It then goes without saying that M-Sport is not paying him (sponsors are paying for his drive). Malcolm Wilson did not order Østberg to fall back in Sweden (in fact it was a major achievement by Mads to stay in the fight during the saturday when he was first on the road). There were no team orders during the sunday. If he had wanted that, Mads was free to try to beat Hirvonen. But he chose to play the safe option on the three last stages. As he said, even when he actually he beat Hirvonen on SS20 and 21 and reduced the gap to only 4,9 seconds, he couldn`t and wouldn`t risk his podium place by attacking these stages 110%. The risk to loose it all was too big.

N.O.T
15th February 2011, 10:21
my questions where rhetorical...

seems you prefer tolerance towards naive and blatant posts that actually replies that try to minimize them...

Iskald
15th February 2011, 11:54
my questions where rhetorical...

seems you prefer tolerance towards naive and blatant posts that actually replies that try to minimize them...

Yes, I know they were rhetorical... All the same I opted to answer them in a "not rethorical manner". OK?
But you`re still patronizing people, N.O.T. Just as you I am irritated constantly by posts from forumers who clearly lack knowledge or insight. But I try to avoid using that irritation to "educate" people how to behave or think. Their opinions are valid anyhow, and its not up to us to tell them how useless or stupid these opinions are. Proper arguments will always beat lack of knowledge.

N.O.T
15th February 2011, 12:04
i do not discredit anyones opinion...i respect them and always will, i am just giving my opinion about their opinion....in a not so forward manner.

Viking
15th February 2011, 12:54
But I try to avoid using that irritation to "educate" people how to behave or think.

Hmm.. i think i can find a post or two... well you said "try" hehe :D

MrMetro
15th February 2011, 15:00
getting back on topic...This rally was very good for sure. Hopefully it is the sign of better times for the WRC.

Zico
15th February 2011, 15:17

Of course, but maybe I was just winding you up N.O.T. because you have no repect for others.

The manner in which you reply to posts, pick fault in them, criticize people in your abrasive and condescending way really does annoy me.. but then maybe that is what you are all about ? Do you enjoy trolling?
At the start of the WRC Sweden thread you were ridiculing anyone who suggested that the new WRC cars could be as fast or faster than the older cars, that the new cars were "pathetic" slow, unspectacular, that S2000 cars were almost as fast etc etc etc.. without taking into account the conditions and the fact that snowy roads are a great leveller... yet not one person tore you to shreds or replied to you like you comunicate with them/us. I'll give you one thing though.. although you had little choice, at least you had the grace to change your opinion and actually begin to speak positively about the new cars and the event.
My point is, you are obviously passionate about the sport and have strong opinions but just because you have over twelve thousand posts does mean yours is always the correct one.

I always try to respect and comunicate with people on the forum as I would in real life, I just wish you would... the forum would be a much more pleasant place.

Brother John
15th February 2011, 16:26
This weekend was an incredible start to the 2011 season with all sorts of things going on. Most of all Mikko wins Rally Sweden, and heads a Ford 1-2-3 with young norwegian driver doing a great job to finish 2nd. fantastic. Check out my review on the event: - http://t.co/x2NkBYo
Also the Power stage was great to see on TV live, Petter's co-driver had to take over for the stage, all explain here - http://t.co/HgPTifq
Can't wait for Mexico. - So whos gonna win there?

Yes, Same for me as Pino and probably a lot of others. I've enjoyed every single moment of it, at last we saw that drivers had to work to keep the car on the road and beyond did not come such as a train we see again cars go SIDEWAYS.
There are certainly a number of drivers WHO don´t like the new cars, because the door goes further open for the younger drivers. That is just my opinion and and more nicely to look at for much rally fans.
After some rallies we will see just how it will go further. The surprises in Sweden for me were the Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team with Mikko Hirvonen, J-M Latvala and also M. OSTBERG, P. ANDERSSON, on the second day certain the Citroen Total
World Rally Team with S. OGIER and S. Loeb, also a good surprise was Kimi Raikkonen for me.
Setbacks were K. Block and Matthew Wilson again! Within some months we can tell more here!

tfp
15th February 2011, 23:39

are you guys for real ??

The unfortunate truth in motorsport(Cough - F Masse) I hope Ogier will value pride over money!