PDA

View Full Version : WRC 2011 UK TV Coverage

Kandinsky
5th February 2011, 22:33
What's going on in the UK? No coverage 2011 WRC on Dave. None on freeview ITV 4, Channel 5... (I'm also not going to pay ESPN for the privilege).

Have the TV Companies gone mad. It beats me that at a time the WRC is about to get interesting, only a few Brits will be able to watch it! Surely with Mini joining the show more people would tune in?

What next, scrap Rally GB? :mad:

Oh well, it's going to be a year watching the Ducati's on the BBC.

Motorsportfun
6th February 2011, 01:38
You can't have all you want everytime for free...

...learn to pay something, people. Here in Italy we have to pay almost all motorsports, and we don't complain. :)

Kandinsky
6th February 2011, 06:37
Some pay £40 a month to Rupert Murdoch (Sky) and will still have to pay more!

In the UK there is no free TV. You need a TV Licence even if own an TV and never switch the thing on! So I am very used to paying for things.

If I was watching live coverage and not some 30 minute summary thrown together with a voice over then I may be tempted. Unfortunately the coverage of the WRC has always been poor. Nothing can match the thrill of watching on a stage, which is perhaps why the channels are refusing to buy it in 2011?

GigiGalliNo1
6th February 2011, 07:16
Use channel bit torrent guys, we all have fast enough Internet nowadays to download anything the hell we want! Unless your in North Korea, then you can't download anything at all! Haha

RS
6th February 2011, 10:30
Can anyone confirm whether WRC will be on Motors TV again this year or not?

wrc_flipper
6th February 2011, 15:16
just watched the two WRC Programmes on ESPN and they were quite good.
Normal "filler" format from NorthOne with no presenter and a bunch of archive clips. but seems to be more in-depth and not trying to pander to the general public.

Also another good thing, only two ad breaks in the hour and very short ones at that.

Anyone else noticed that the coverage in Germany is for free and very like the UK coverage for lots of money?
http://internationalrallynews.com/2011/01/german-wrc-tv-coverage-to-hit-new-high-in-2011/#more-190

Simon Long, CEO of North One Sport's on Total Rally next week, worth asking a few questions!!

Brother John
6th February 2011, 16:32
You can't have all you want everytime for free...

...learn to pay something, people. Here in Italy we have to pay almost all motorsports, and we don't complain. :)

Yes that´s the future for TV everywhere, and not only for Motorsport!

Motorsportfun
6th February 2011, 17:26
In the UK there is no free TV. You need a TV Licence even if own an TV and never switch the thing on! So I am very used to paying for things.

No worry, same thing in Italy...

tfp
6th February 2011, 19:17
Use channel bit torrent guys, we all have fast enough Internet nowadays to download anything the hell we want! Unless your in North Korea, then you can't download anything at all! Haha

:rotflmao:

whereschris
6th February 2011, 22:20
Just watched rally world on NSPN and though I don't like the fact we have to pay for it and don't think that it is good for the sport, it was pretty good!

Hope the regular programs are as good.

bryst
8th February 2011, 11:13
Just watched rally world on NSPN and though I don't like the fact we have to pay for it and don't think that it is good for the sport, it was pretty good!

Hope the regular programs are as good.

I have ESPN and haven't seen anything advertised so I've just checked and can you confirm the full season will be shown. Cheers
Will have to extend my subscription now £9 a month.

Mark
8th February 2011, 11:43
WRC will only be on ESPN? That sucks big style!

I already pay £13 per month for my TV licence and another £30 per month for the basic Sky package, that's quite enough already without adding a subscription sports channel - which only has one programme I'd be remotely interested in, to the package.

Sports such as the WRC rely on exposure, and that's just what they won't get with a subscription channel! It works for football as teams have a loyal fan base, but for motorsport it just doesn't! At least F1 recognised this!

AndyRAC
8th February 2011, 12:44

I already pay £13 per month for my TV licence and another £30 per month for the basic Sky package, that's quite enough already without adding a subscription sports channel - which only has one programme I'd be remotely interested in, to the package.

Sports such as the WRC rely on exposure, and that's just what they won't get with a subscription channel! It works for football as teams have a loyal fan base, but for motorsport it just doesn't! At least F1 recognised this!

Hit the nail on the head!!
F1 could probably get away with it nowadays as it's such a huge sport and has built up a large following. However, even Bernie isn't that mad/stupid!
WRC doesn't have that following - and will struggle to get more fans of the sport with this deal. I'm fine I have ESPN, but I'm thinking of the 'bigger picture'.
Premiership football doesn't get 100,000 viewers on ESPN, what will WRC get then?

whereschris
8th February 2011, 15:45
As far as I'm aware it is the full season with the live stages on Sundays. It was pretty good really. As I said, I don't think that it's the right thing for the sport but I enjoy watching it so...

Daniel
8th February 2011, 19:38

Do your homework ;) :p

http://www.motorstv.com/car/rally/wrc

Still on motorstv :)

Mark
8th February 2011, 19:52
Meh :p . If it's not on BBC1 what's the point.

Daniel
8th February 2011, 19:52
Meh :p . If it's not on BBC1 what's the point.

:p

bryst
8th February 2011, 20:02
OP was a bit missleading wasn't it, Yep still on motors tv should have checked myself.
Cheers Daniel

bryst
8th February 2011, 20:05
Heres the listings
WRC, Round 1: Rally Sweden, 10-13 February on Motors TV
- Day 1 (52 minutes): Friday 11 February at 22h35.
- Day 2 (52 minutes): Saturday 12 February at 22h35.
- Day 3 (52 minutes): Sunday 13 February at 22h35.
- Highlights (52 minutes): Tuesday 21 February at 22h.

tolis
8th February 2011, 20:24
Heres the listings
WRC, Round 1: Rally Sweden, 10-13 February on Motors TV
- Day 1 (52 minutes): Friday 11 February at 22h35.
- Day 2 (52 minutes): Saturday 12 February at 22h35.
- Day 3 (52 minutes): Sunday 13 February at 22h35.
- Highlights (52 minutes): Tuesday 21 February at 22h.
So, no live coverage of the Power Stage? :(

8th February 2011, 22:31
No live coverage in Aus either, whats the point of the power stage then?

Aus coverage - http://tv-guide.onehd.com.au/sydney/search/program/127145

Also, TotalRally is having Simon Long from North One Sport on their show to answer questions regarding TV coverage. All questions should be forwarded to [email:psufyghm]studio@totalrally.com[/email:psufyghm] or on the TotalRally twitter site http://twitter.com/#!/totalrally

tolis
8th February 2011, 22:39
http://www.rallysweden.com/massive-tv-coverage-in-rally-sweden?lang=en

Langdale Forest
13th February 2011, 08:50
This is a discrace to the WRC really.... :mad:

Not only that but there is no commentary on the day reviews on wrc.com, which is even worse... :mad:

GigiGalliNo1
13th February 2011, 09:36
Even EuroSport in Australia/Asia has LIVE stages/coverage from each of the IRC's!!!!!!!

MrMetro
13th February 2011, 10:30
hmm, the Motors TV coverage still hasn't improved from last year...

Simmi
13th February 2011, 14:08
I simply can't believe the poor picture quality on Motors. I have tapes from the late 80's that look better. What is that about really?

Kris Meeke and Jon Desborough on ESPN in the studio prior to the power stage.

Langdale Forest
13th February 2011, 15:06
SOME GOOD NEWS!!! :)

I have found this ESPN footage on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvzYbD3fSAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4UrKEsnjTw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5cZZkfNzjg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEQXNN7mBH0

RS
13th February 2011, 15:12
I simply can't believe the poor picture quality on Motors. I have tapes from the late 80's that look better. What is that about really?

Kris Meeke and Jon Desborough on ESPN in the studio prior to the power stage.

Good question. It is like watching A-merican tv.

Fast Eddie WRC
13th February 2011, 15:21
I watched the live Power Stage for free online ...

Pretty good coverage from ESPN especially with Kris Meeke there for the season til the Mini debuts ...

MrMetro
13th February 2011, 15:32
who was commentating on the live stages?

tolis
13th February 2011, 15:56
who was commentating on the live stages?
Paul King-Julian Porter

tolis
13th February 2011, 15:57
SOME GOOD NEWS!!! :)

I have found this ESPN footage on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvzYbD3fSAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4UrKEsnjTw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5cZZkfNzjg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEQXNN7mBH0
You can also download the ESPN daily coverage, here:
http://wrc.mirafiori.com/wrc_2011

MartijnS
13th February 2011, 15:59
ESPN coverage is good! Way better than MotorsTv.

Motorsportfun
13th February 2011, 17:07
^^

Do you like it? So, support rallying on tv. Pay the subscription if you want it... and don't steal it! :D

MartijnS
13th February 2011, 17:12
I pay for Motors TV :D

MrJan
13th February 2011, 17:14
^^

Do you like it? So, support rallying on tv. Pay the subscription if you want it... and don't steal it! :D

WTF?? I love rallying but I simply can't afford the extra few hundred pounds each year just so I can watch it. On my current wage it's difficult enough without having to pay £20+ every month just to watch rallying...especially if I can steal it.

Langdale Forest
13th February 2011, 17:56
How can watching something on YouTube be called 'stealing'?

Motorsportfun
13th February 2011, 18:07
How can watching something on YouTube be called 'stealing'?

On YouTube there's lots of illegal vids uploaded... one of them is ESPN coverage. To be honest, also the amateur footage, if published, is illegal due to North One Sport's copyright. ;)

Langdale Forest
13th February 2011, 18:11
On YouTube there's lots of illegal vids uploaded... one of them is ESPN coverage. To be honest, also the amateur footage, if published, is illegal due to North One Sport's copyright. ;)

But how often are these 'illegal' videos removed from YouTube?

satnav
13th February 2011, 18:39
I was watching the power stage on Sport 1 today , they showed Block , then Al Qassimi and then after 50 secs of Matt Wilson they went into a break and when it came back on Kimi was on the line so they missed Sandell and P.G. , thats a real good start to their showing of the power stage having a break off almost 8 mins in it. I know this was only with the sport 1 programme as i had the ESPN show on as well to do a comparison.

Just makes rallying look very amaturish in most peoples eyes when they have shows like these promoting the sport.

GigiGalliNo1
15th February 2011, 16:38
Question - the coverage on ONE HD is the same as on Espn?

GigiGalliNo1
15th February 2011, 16:41
WTF?? I love rallying but I simply can't afford the extra few hundred pounds each year just so I can watch it. On my current wage it's difficult enough without having to pay £20+ every month just to watch rallying...especially if I can steal it.

Same here. I was not going to pay to subscribe to a sports package with 3-4-5 sports channels and only watch rally once a month! An extra $$ a month to watch it once when really the people who watch and pay for sports packages watch football/soccer/rugby/snooker/tennis each weekend! Makes no sense to me!

whereschris
21st February 2011, 08:15
Hi,

In case you've not heard, ESPN are showing Mexico coverage for free. I'm not sure if this will just be through Sky of possible to get on the freeview to up tv.

Worth a look possibly.

Cheers

21st February 2011, 08:17
Question - the coverage on ONE HD is the same as on Espn?

Yeah, just with a different logo in the top right corner :)

GigiGalliNo1
21st February 2011, 15:12
WHat about commentator? I watched Day 1-2 from ONE HD and then ESPN HD and it had a different guy.... check it out man!

STD
28th February 2011, 21:00
This weekend marks ESPN’s Free Weekend beginning at 06:00hrs on Friday 4 March and running until 06:00hrs on Monday 7 March. It will make ESPN, ESPN HD, ESPN America and ESPN America HD available to all Sky, Virgin Media and TalkTalk viewers in the UK, and to all UPC and Sky viewers in the Republic of Ireland.

http://www.wrc.com/news/espn-gives-uk-wrc-fans-a-mexico-bonus/?fid=14205

AndyRAC
28th February 2011, 21:33
Should be good, loads of great sport on ESPN, well worth watching - this weekend will see the NBA live in London; Nets v Raptors. ESPN is my most watched channel.

Motorsportfun
28th February 2011, 22:06
Finally someone would be happy! :D

sonnyc4
5th March 2011, 08:35
So much for free ESPN this weekend I sky+ day one this morning and the program before over ran by 8 minutes so I missed the last 8 minutes of the program NOT a good way to get new customers!!!!!

dcr22B
7th April 2011, 16:41
Looks like WRC on ESPN will die after a few more rallys..

A lad I know (not sure if he posts on here) asked some schedulers he worked with to look up some ratings for me + some info he all ready know.
C4 years ago would get about a million viewers over the weekend
ITV about 500,000 to 600,000 for there hour show on the Sunday
Dave 150,000 on average

But ESPN is only getting 11,000 per show. I wouldn't be surprised if they dump it half way through the year.

No TV channel will touch WRC after 2011 with ratings like that..

wildsir
7th April 2011, 16:50
If they have gained 11,000 new viewers, thats £1.3m income for the year.

MrJan
7th April 2011, 17:12
If they included the ratings from those of us watching on Youtube/torrents then it would be far bigger than that :D

AndyRAC
7th April 2011, 17:44
Looks like WRC on ESPN will die after a few more rallys..

A lad I know (not sure if he posts on here) asked some schedulers he worked with to look up some ratings for me + some info he all ready know.
C4 years ago would get about a million viewers over the weekend
ITV about 500,000 to 600,000 for there hour show on the Sunday
Dave 150,000 on average

But ESPN is only getting 11,000 per show. I wouldn't be surprised if they dump it half way through the year.

No TV channel will touch WRC after 2011 with ratings like that..

I saw that yesterday on Twitter....oh dear. While it's not a surprise, it's pretty poor and the 11,000 is a peak figure. If those figures continue, then ESPN will surely drop it. Income for the promoters is important - however, so is visibility - and there's virtually none in UK.

wrc_flipper
7th April 2011, 18:36
Don't think they will drop it, as EPSN is a paid for service the viewing figures would not be that hight anyway compared to free to air.
ESPN have only a years contract and plans from the North One Sport / Convers Sports Initiatives are to make it internet streaming anyway so the days of watching WRC in TV are numbered anyway.

nerdhan
17th May 2011, 18:47
The viewer figures for the Snooker final on BBC (supposedly a dying sport according to many sports journalists) was over 6 million in the UK.

If WRC, a sport which is supposedely on the up can't even get a fraction of those ratings then North West One\ESPN should hang there heads down in shame.

I like so many others just can't watch the "highlights" show anymore, firstly because I have no interest in the 99% of the other micky mouse sports they show on that channel and also, because the highlights show I can only speculate to say that the hightlights show is probably as bad as the one Dave used to show.

RS
18th May 2011, 13:21
I just don't think anyone beyond hardcore rally fans are willing to pay that kind of money just for WRC.

There is the Motors TV daily highlights show free for those with certain Sky packages although that's pretty dire. Don't know what kind of figures Motors are pulling?

Maybe if Meeke does well in his first full season next year some terrestrial broadcaster might be willing to take it on again?

BDunnell
19th May 2011, 09:50
The viewer figures for the Snooker final on BBC (supposedly a dying sport according to many sports journalists) was over 6 million in the UK.

If WRC, a sport which is supposedely on the up can't even get a fraction of those ratings then North West One\ESPN should hang there heads down in shame.

I like so many others just can't watch the "highlights" show anymore, firstly because I have no interest in the 99% of the other micky mouse sports they show on that channel and also, because the highlights show I can only speculate to say that the hightlights show is probably as bad as the one Dave used to show.

Let's not forget that, like the 2011 rule gimmicks or not, F1 viewing figures are up this season, at least in the UK. And the idea that snooker was a dying sport became a self-fulfilling prophecy — Ronnie O'Sullivan expressed the view, people started talking about it, and the idea took hold. I don't think it was ever true at any stage that the sport was dying, and it certainly isn't now. The same can't be said of the WRC.

AndyRAC
19th May 2011, 23:11
One problem is the small amount of 'hard-core' Rally fans. The people who are needed are the casual motorsport/car fan. Go on car/motorsport websites - and there comments on the sport - and not always favourable. Even from this year, were most of us feel things are improving - if slowly. One common view is the cars are 'shopping trolleys' and not the fire breathing monsters.

http://community.evo.co.uk/forums/thread.cfm?threadID=63456

http://community.evo.co.uk/forums/thread.cfm?threadID=63377

BDunnell
19th May 2011, 23:46
One common view is the cars are 'shopping trolleys' and not the fire breathing monsters.]

Maybe I am just old-fashioned, then, in feeling that outright speed is far from everything in motorsport, no matter which form.

Daniel
20th May 2011, 10:48
Maybe I am just old-fashioned, then, in feeling that outright speed is far from everything in motorsport, no matter which form.

I agree somewhat though I do agree with Andy somewhat too.

Personally I would have preferred to see 2l n/a engines a la F2 kit cars than 1.6 turbo's. I also wish they would make it feasible for manufacturers to run bigger cars if they wished and give them larger restrictors, bigger brakes and so on to compensate for the extra mass :) In 10 years time if we continue the way we are they'll be rallying iQ, 107, C1 sized things :mark:

MrJan
20th May 2011, 11:04
One problem is the small amount of 'hard-core' Rally fans. The people who are needed are the casual motorsport/car fan. Go on car/motorsport websites - and there comments on the sport - and not always favourable. Even from this year, were most of us feel things are improving - if slowly. One common view is the cars are 'shopping trolleys' and not the fire breathing monsters.

http://community.evo.co.uk/forums/thread.cfm?threadID=63456

http://community.evo.co.uk/forums/thread.cfm?threadID=63377

To me those threads just highlight the ignorance of people. Yammering on about Loeb domination against no one of note (yeah, that Marcus Gronholm was ****, and Solberg ain't got no skillz...and Sainz and McRae never done nothing neither), C4 up against Fiestas (if you're going to be an idiot then try being an idiot in one season, rather than combining two) and mostly a complete oversight of the fact that Group B were death on a stick. We all love to see and hear the old cars, but to run those at 100% across 16 rallies a year just isn't possible any more.

Oh and it's not like oil is the same price as it was 30 years ago.

Daniel
20th May 2011, 11:17
To me those threads just highlight the ignorance of people. Yammering on about Loeb domination against no one of note (yeah, that Marcus Gronholm was ****, and Solberg ain't got no skillz...and Sainz and McRae never done nothing neither), C4 up against Fiestas (if you're going to be an idiot then try being an idiot in one season, rather than combining two) and mostly a complete oversight of the fact that Group B were death on a stick. We all love to see and hear the old cars, but to run those at 100% across 16 rallies a year just isn't possible any more.

Oh and it's not like oil is the same price as it was 30 years ago.

Agreed :D

AndyRAC
20th May 2011, 12:54
Exactly - that's the point I was trying to prove.
Somebody commented that the WRC is boring, so hasn't watched it for 5 years. So how do they know it's boring?

BDunnell
25th May 2011, 15:38
I agree somewhat though I do agree with Andy somewhat too.

Personally I would have preferred to see 2l n/a engines a la F2 kit cars than 1.6 turbo's. I also wish they would make it feasible for manufacturers to run bigger cars if they wished and give them larger restrictors, bigger brakes and so on to compensate for the extra mass :) In 10 years time if we continue the way we are they'll be rallying iQ, 107, C1 sized things :mark:

Oh, I'm with you entirely on all of that.

BDunnell
25th May 2011, 15:39
Exactly - that's the point I was trying to prove.
Somebody commented that the WRC is boring, so hasn't watched it for 5 years. So how do they know it's boring?

And, more to the point, how will the sport get such people back?

Daniel
25th May 2011, 16:02
And, more to the point, how will the sport get such people back?

Proper rallies.
Proper commentary.
Proper coverage.
Proper sporting rules.

No more cloverleaf rallies. A servicepark a day or even 2 a day if a rally needs it. More stages, more stage mileage.
Bring back the classic rallies with proper mileage. Monte, Safari, Rally Australia, San Remo (in Perth, OK not quite as classic but a well loved rally) and get rid of the boring middle eastern rallies.
Bring back proper road order rules. Leader gets to choose his position and the same for the top 10.
Recruit someone who can actually commentate and inhumanely euthanise anyone who tries to write a script which makes it sound like the rallies are live.
Stop with the crappy camera placement which gives us 30 seconds of a car going through a rather lacklustre series of corners and bring back camera placement which put an emphasis on speed and being close to the action even if it only gives us 5 seconds of coverage.
Give maximum component weights for things like suspension and driveshaft components. The cars these days have way too much exotic materials in them and as silly as it seems there aren't enough retirements.
Publicly execute anyone calling the sport "rally" or "rally racing"

MrJan
25th May 2011, 16:06
San Remo (in Perth, OK not quite as classic but a well loved rally)

I'm not sure it's that well loved TBH, the road sections are just too long ;) :p :

Daniel
25th May 2011, 16:13
I'm not sure it's that well loved TBH, the road sections are just too long ;) :p :

Not when they had remote service parks :) If it's a cloverleaf rally then I'd say it'd be 50:50 whether it should be in :)

J4MIE
25th May 2011, 18:22
Daniel do keep up, Perth is nowhere near Sanremo :p :

Otherwise, I agree fully :up: It's not enough of an adventure these days. I dream of longer events without a single service. One of the reasons so many people look forward to the RAC Rally here.

J4MIE
25th May 2011, 18:22
As for the coverage, I wouldn't pay for espn, and I just about put up with the terrible motors coverage.

One thing they really need to do is sort out the in-car cameras. Some of the historic events are better for that than the wrc, it shouldn't be like that. I want to see out the windscreen but also to grt an idea of what the driver is doing. Look up Julian Reynolds on youtube...

Also, why why why do they show coverage from cameras that have been covered in mud/dust/insects.... they must be insane!!

Daniel
25th May 2011, 18:25
:facepalm:

Of course I meant Rally Australia in Perth and San Remo in San Remo :D

Mark
25th May 2011, 18:26
Rally Australia in Scotland? Sounds good.

Motorsportfun
25th May 2011, 18:29
:facepalm:

Of course I meant Rally Australia in Perth and San Remo in San Remo :D

Sanremo doesn't have money anymore... the Ligury Region gives 12k euros (twelve thousand euros!)... is the amount of 2 entry fees in a WRC event, right?

Daniel
25th May 2011, 18:38
Sanremo doesn't have money anymore... the Ligury Region gives 12k euros (twelve thousand euros!)... is the amount of 2 entry fees in a WRC event, right?

The WRC needs to start looking at itself as a brand. If one event can't afford what other events are paying, but the event is so good that it justifies a subsidy then it should be subsidised within reason.

AndyRAC
25th May 2011, 19:49
Proper rallies.
Proper commentary.
Proper coverage.
Proper sporting rules.

No more cloverleaf rallies. A servicepark a day or even 2 a day if a rally needs it. More stages, more stage mileage.
Bring back the classic rallies with proper mileage. Monte, Safari, Rally Australia, San Remo (in Perth, OK not quite as classic but a well loved rally) and get rid of the boring middle eastern rallies.
Bring back proper road order rules. Leader gets to choose his position and the same for the top 10.
Recruit someone who can actually commentate and inhumanely euthanise anyone who tries to write a script which makes it sound like the rallies are live.
Stop with the crappy camera placement which gives us 30 seconds of a car going through a rather lacklustre series of corners and bring back camera placement which put an emphasis on speed and being close to the action even if it only gives us 5 seconds of coverage.
Give maximum component weights for things like suspension and driveshaft components. The cars these days have way too much exotic materials in them and as silly as it seems there aren't enough retirements.

Absolutely!!! :up:
However, i'm sure Ford/Citroen would chokes on their corn flakes/ croissants if any of that happened. "No cloverleaf - what do we do with our VIPs?" :eek:

While I accept we can't go back, the sport went too far the other way. We need a happy medium. So a mix; cloverleaf, sprint-type events and endurance events. So no two events are the same. It might help if some of the 'classic' events returned; Sanremo, Monte-Carlo, Corse, etc replaced by nondescript events....

Motorsportfun
25th May 2011, 21:15
The WRC needs to start looking at itself as a brand. If one event can't afford what other events are paying, but the event is so good that it justifies a subsidy then it should be subsidised within reason.

No, please. That's one of the ways to kill a championship.

Daniel
25th May 2011, 21:30

What? By having good rallies which people like?

BDunnell
25th May 2011, 21:56
Proper rallies.
Proper commentary.
Proper coverage.
Proper sporting rules.

Ah, so, something like this, maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeWjQvi7ERQ

By the way, I don't wish to see any 'Bring back Group B' comments in response to this. We now know that it was utterly unsustainable as a set of regulations. But, nonetheless, I find some of this footage just spine-tingling. Without question, one of my favourite rallying broadcasts ever, dating as it does from the time when my motorsport interest consisted of rallying and nothing much else.

MrJan
25th May 2011, 22:39

You are without a doubt the single most strange motorsport fan that I've ever known. Killing a championship is done by taking it only to venues that pay for it, rather than those that fans want to see.

AndyRAC
25th May 2011, 23:24
You are without a doubt the single most strange motorsport fan that I've ever known. Killing a championship is done by taking it only to venues that pay for it, rather than those that fans want to see.

Another example of why the WRC shouldn't go down the F1 route..... look what's happened to the WRC in the last 10 years.

Motorsportfun
25th May 2011, 23:30

No, but anyone can understand that, if someone gets any help, then it's quite normal that other people wants them! It's a chain... a dangerous chain.

tfp
25th May 2011, 23:32

I guess nowadays its more about money rather than what people want to see :(

Motorsportfun
25th May 2011, 23:33

I'm not saying it. But to help an organizer with money or new sponsors, I think it's a dangerous adrift, because then other organizers will ask for it, and other and other. The situation will go completely out of control... and that could have a bad recoil.

BDunnell
25th May 2011, 23:34
I must confess to being instinctively against government money being used to pay for motorsport. It can create a culture of dependency, and I don't think it looks right for these apparently very cash-rich sports to be seen to be asking for government hand-outs.

AndyRAC
25th May 2011, 23:48
I must confess to being instinctively against government money being used to pay for motorsport. It can create a culture of dependency, and I don't think it looks right for these apparently very cash-rich sports to be seen to be asking for government hand-outs.

No, which is what has happened to RallyGB - relies on the Welsh Assembly for it's continued running, but isn't the only event which has government/ local authority backing. Sad that events can't get 'normal' backing/sponsorship to run their events - probably a reflection on the status of the sport.

tfp
25th May 2011, 23:52

+1 :up:

Daniel
26th May 2011, 17:54

:up:

Daniel
26th May 2011, 18:03

But if the handout is repaid by increased revenue then what's the problem?

gtimad73
26th May 2011, 20:10
So does any one no where the tv rights will go next year. or is it to soon to ask? has espn only got it for one year?

Motorsportfun
26th May 2011, 20:59
The contracts are various... WRC is in Italy for 2012 too (signed in 2010), finnish tv I read somewhere was until 2013...

gtimad73
26th May 2011, 21:42
sorry should have said uk tv :-)
The contracts are various... WRC is in Italy for 2012 too (signed in 2010), finnish tv I read somewhere was until 2013...

BDunnell
28th May 2011, 12:09
But if the handout is repaid by increased revenue then what's the problem?

The problem is getting into a vicious circle, and also one of image. Motorsport is perceived to be — and is — very cash-rich. Therefore, I can completely understand those who feel that it isn't an appropriate destination for tax revenue.

Daniel
28th May 2011, 12:12
The problem is getting into a vicious circle, and also one of image. Motorsport is perceived to be — and is — very cash-rich. Therefore, I can completely understand those who feel that it isn't an appropriate destination for tax revenue.

Whilst I see your point, if every pound you spend results in more than 1 pound coming back......

BDunnell
28th May 2011, 12:14
Whilst I see your point, if every pound you spend results in more than 1 pound coming back......

But that is impossible to measure with any certainty. Figures stating that holding 'x' sporting event will bring 'y' money to 'z' country/area are always rough estimates at best, just like those 'statistics' claiming that, for example, London stands to lose out to the tune of however much money if another runway isn't built at Heathrow. I doubt these figures would stand up to much scrutiny.

Daniel
28th May 2011, 12:24
But that is impossible to measure with any certainty. Figures stating that holding 'x' sporting event will bring 'y' money to 'z' country/area are always rough estimates at best, just like those 'statistics' claiming that, for example, London stands to lose out to the tune of however much money if another runway isn't built at Heathrow. I doubt these figures would stand up to much scrutiny.

Touché

GigiGalliNo1
28th May 2011, 15:32
Rally Australia use to uncertain if still now, funded by the Government!

Motorsportfun
28th May 2011, 16:28

+1!

tfp
29th May 2011, 00:33
I know the uk tv coverage is crap, but I dont complain, at least we still get to see it. Anyone know how we will be able to follow next year?

Langdale Forest
29th July 2011, 14:35
The people who upload the ESPN coverage to YouTube should have got medals, but now it seems that only half of the day reviews are allowed to stay on that site.

This is a total discrace to all the sponsors and fans.