PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Mouton

MJW
3rd February 2011, 19:01
Gets the FIA WRC job
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wrc/2011/Pages/wrc-mouton.aspx

Does anyone know he far into Jean Todt's camp she is on changing rally formats to the old way? Interesting in Motorsport News Gerard Quinn said Ford will consider their involvement in WRC in the autumn when they know what type of WRC it will be. Power struggle between FIA and manufacturers on its way?

AndyRAC
3rd February 2011, 20:59
The Manufacturers - well Ford/Citroen have had their way far too much recently - it's about time the FiA put their foot down. It's the World Rally Championship, not run for the benefit of those two teams. The sports still needs massive changes - if certain marques don't like them, then tough!! 13/14 identikit events has dulled the excitement and interest - changes are needed. If that means a mix of 2 day sprints, to 3 day current, and 4 day endurance events, with varying formats then good.

Daniel
3rd February 2011, 21:59
The Manufacturers - well Ford/Citroen have had their way far too much recently - it's about time the FiA put their foot down. It's the World Rally Championship, not run for the benefit of those two teams. The sports still needs massive changes - if certain marques don't like them, then tough!! 13/14 identikit events has dulled the excitement and interest - changes are needed. If that means a mix of 2 day sprints, to 3 day current, and 4 day endurance events, with varying formats then good.

Surely at some point the manufacturers must realise that if the rounds are rubbish then no one watches and their investment is completely wasted.

MrJan
3rd February 2011, 22:38
I believe that the problem with rallying is that they are trying to make it accessible to new audiences. Sadly it's never going to be a particular accessible sport and all they are doing at the minute is alienating existing fans.

The path to success is simple, we want speed, we want sideways/spectacular and we want noise. Beyond that I think that it's important for rallying to be a test, for the cars and drivers to be pushed to their limits. To do this an event needs to have an element of endurance, it needs to be tough. These modern day rallies are easier for TV to cover but they are tedious. The negative side to this is that you have more retirements and this doesn't exactly make for top viewing or show the manufacturers in a good light.

So we're sort of stuck, do you change rallying back to 'the good ole days' but perhaps alienate the teams or do you carry on with the current plan and alienate the fans?

Edit: BTW I'm a bit drunk so this may not make a lot of sense.

Daniel
3rd February 2011, 22:40
I believe that the problem with rallying is that they are trying to make it accessible to new audiences. Sadly it's never going to be a particular accessible sport and all they are doing at the minute is alienating existing fans.

The path to success is simple, we want speed, we want sideways/spectacular and we want noise. Beyond that I think that it's important for rallying to be a test, for the cars and drivers to be pushed to their limits. To do this an event needs to have an element of endurance, it needs to be tough. These modern day rallies are easier for TV to cover but they are tedious. The negative side to this is that you have more retirements and this doesn't exactly make for top viewing or show the manufacturers in a good light.

So we're sort of stuck, do you change rallying back to 'the good ole days' but perhaps alienate the teams or do you carry on with the current plan and alienate the fans?

Edit: BTW I'm a bit drunk so this may not make a lot of sense.

Personally I think any manufacturer that's worried about their cars being seen as unreliable due to retirements should **** off and sponsor a football team OR build better cars.

tfp
3rd February 2011, 23:41

I second that, and I look forward to the events on live TV!(If they're still going ahead with it)

morganmilan
4th February 2011, 00:04
And Michele Mouton? What about?

Carlo
4th February 2011, 05:01

What he said

WRCfan
4th February 2011, 06:38
Agree with AndyRAC!

Tell Wilson and Quesnel to cancel their manicure, take their skirts off, and harden up. Rally now is like a sprint race with 4 stages a day run twice. Bring back the old formats!