PDA

View Full Version : Testing in Spain ,

driveace
31st January 2011, 19:56
Testing in Spain this week! When and where ,and near me in Valencia ?

Mark
1st February 2011, 11:05
It's at the Valencia circuit - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.485833,-0.628056&ie=UTF8&ll=39.485833,-0.628056&spn=0.024973,0.041628&z=15
No idea if it is open to the public.

rbatista82
1st February 2011, 11:08
First photos from Valência
http://www.supermotores.net/sm/fotos.asp?id=216

Zico
1st February 2011, 17:46
I know they dont mean much but..

Vettel (1:13.769) tops the times then, with Hulkenberg (1:13.938) and Gary Paffett (1:14.292) third in the 2010 McLaren. Encouraging. Di Resta (1:14.461) Alonso (1:14.553) , Kobayashi (1:15.621) with Virgin Racing's Jerome D'Ambrosio (1:16.003)

Petrov (1:16.351), Schumacher (1:16.450), Barrichello (1:17.335), Alguersuari (1:17.774), Karthikeyan (1:18.020) and Rosberg (1:19.930).

52Paddy
1st February 2011, 18:06
http://www.forumula1.net/2011/f1/f1-news/f1-2011-day-one-what-we-learned/

There's another link for the times. Indeed, they don't mean much but I wonder what was up with Mercedes.

DazzlaF1
1st February 2011, 18:14
http://www.forumula1.net/2011/f1/f1-news/f1-2011-day-one-what-we-learned/

There's another link for the times. Indeed, they don't mean much but I wonder what was up with Mercedes.

More than that, what's up with Virgin, d'Ambrosio just over 2 seconds off the pace in last years car (albeit with some 2011 parts), it certainly bodes well for them

Bruce D
1st February 2011, 19:54
Yeah but someone on BBC's live text pointed out today that last years lap times were in the 1:11s so today wasn't very fast. Still that would make them about 3 to 4sec off the pace, which is still an improvement. Also Mercedes had a hydraulic leak when Rosberg was driving.

What interested me was that Hulkenberg was running about 0.5sec quicker than Alonso and Vettel earlier and setting that time on runs of about 10 laps or so, it was only later in the day that Vettel set his quick time, so although Autosport are claiming that his long run pace was a second slower, it's not too bad for the Force India.

As for the Williams, well the car looks ugly IMO and at no point today did it set anywhere near a decent lap time, apparently delayed by KERS problems.

I'm interested to see where Team Lotus are from tomorrow.

driveace
1st February 2011, 20:23
Usually open to the public,in previous years,in fact the last 6 years I have been there.It is normally e3 but may now be e5.Value for money

Tazio
2nd February 2011, 16:18
Fernando Alonso was critical of Pirelli's tyres after the first real test day of the 2011 season on Tuesday.

"They degrade quite a lot, especially the rears, and the lap times are not consistent," the Spaniard, whose F150 Ferrari was almost a second off the pace of the chart-topping new Red Bull, said at Valencia.

Alonso is also quoted by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport as saying exploring the car's setup was difficult because there are not enough sets of Pirelli tyres at the test.
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=399046

Full lap times as of 3pm local time, on the second day of the three-day test at Circuit Ricardo Tormo near Valencia in Spain.

1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 13.307s

2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m 13.614s

3. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m 13.844s*

4. Robert Kubica Lotus Renault GP-Renault 1m 14.412s

5. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m 14.701s*

6. Nico Rosberg Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 15.383s

7. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m 15.408s*

8. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m 16.023s

9. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m 16.198s

10. Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 16.474s

11. Narain Karthikeyan Hispania-Cosworth 1m 17.823s*

12. Sebastien Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 19.459s
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02022011/23/valencia-f1-test-times-day-3pm.html

52Paddy
2nd February 2011, 16:37
Good work from Paul di Resta again :up:

CaptainRaiden
2nd February 2011, 18:21
1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 01:13.307 0
2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 01:13.614 0
3. Paul di Resta Force India F1 01:13.844 0
4. Lewis Hamilton McLaren 01:14.353 0
5. Robert Kubica Renault 01:14.412 0
6. Narain Karthikeyan HRT F1 Team 01:14.472 0
7. Nico Rosberg Mercedes Grand Prix 01:14.645 0
8. Timo Glock Virgin Racing 01:15.408 0
9. Rubens Barrichello Williams 01:16.023 0
10. Sergio Perez Sauber 01:16.198 0
11. Pastor Maldonado Williams 01:16.266 0
12. Sebastien Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso 01:16.359 0
13. Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso 01:16.474 0
14. Mark Webber Red Bull 01:17.365 0
15. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus F1 01:20.649 0

Karthikeyan 6th in an HRT. :eek: Looks like a glory run on fumes to attract some sponsors. Anyway this is testing, so it doesn't matter much. What's clear so far is that Red Bull, Mclaren and Ferrari have been consistently at the top. I'm guessing Mclaren's new car this week is only going to be an improvement.

Tazio
2nd February 2011, 20:20
Karthikeyan 6th in an HRT. :eek: Looks like a glory run on fumes to attract some sponsors. Anyway this is testing, so it doesn't matter much. What's clear so far is that Red Bull, Mclaren and Ferrari have been consistently at the top. I'm guessing Mclaren's new car this week is only going to be an improvement. I can only agree! From everything I read, and just the intuitive insight of a grizzled old veteran like :s ailor: brings to the table :rolleyes: :uhoh: :p
Ferrari and probably all the top teams which outside of McLaren, Renault, and Red Bull (I'd like to add Mercedes, and Williams) but I can't go out on that limb, although they may both be at the sharp end. These guys are not going to show their best aero parts, even on slow laps because these guys are so good at guessing how much fuel a car is running, they just can't let them be seen. I'm also guessing McLaren have the new steering wheel as it appears that is the one thing that the driver can really practice, and gain valuable seat time.

DazzlaF1
2nd February 2011, 22:43
Its early days (well 2 days infact) but what are the early signs

FERRARI: The car looks a winner already, great early promise

RED BULL: The car is great but I dont think they will be dominating as much as people think

MERCEDES: Got a funny feeling they will have stagnated but I can see Schumi having a better season this year, albeit only slightly

RENAULT: Good early promise but im still a bit iffy on that frontways exhaust

THE MID-PACK: For me, Williams have the slight edge over Sauber, looking forward to seeing what Force India bring to the party. Toro Rosso I think could fall into the clutches of 1 or 2 of last years newbie teams

LAST YEAR'S NEWBIE TEAMS: despite power steering problems, Kovalainen's noted huge improvements in the Lotus and Virgin have looked suprising with what is essentially last years chassis so 2011 bodes very well for both those teams if this is anything to go by.

AndyL
3rd February 2011, 12:30
Karthikeyan 6th in an HRT. :eek: Looks like a glory run on fumes to attract some sponsors. Anyway this is testing, so it doesn't matter much.

Even with no fuel, no ballast and a rocket booster strapped to the back, being 3s off last year's best times is quite surprising for an HRT!

Sonic
3rd February 2011, 13:45
^^^ indeed. So they must be under weight too :p

driveace
3rd February 2011, 14:36
Karthikeyan,s time was according to sources in Valencia, incorrect,and the press were waiting for the team to confirm the correct time for his his fastest run.

driveace
3rd February 2011, 14:40
I get the impression that Lewis is quite upbeat,and feels that the Mac could be advanced in some respects,of there competitors.But this could be bulls**t,and us mortals will have to wait and see!

jens
3rd February 2011, 15:36
To be honest, this year my interest about pre-season has been greatly smaller than in previous years. Maybe because 2009 and 2010 included so many changes in pecking order and now it is calming down. :) When talking about predictions (interesting that I don't remember any such threads this year!!) I haven't really expected any changes to the pecking order. Top three teams in some kind of order are there and probably close together, it feels a bit of a long shot to expect Mercedes and Renault to really mix it up with them in the title fight. My main interest is related to Team Lotus - also because they are the main team, who I have been looking forward to really improve and mix it with the midfield. Shame that they are missing KERS though - this could turn out to be costly.

AndyL
3rd February 2011, 15:36
Karthikeyan,s time was according to sources in Valencia, incorrect,and the press were waiting for the team to confirm the correct time for his his fastest run.

Well that would explain it... with no fuel, no ballast, a rocket booster and a massive timing error an HRT could probably just about get within 3 seconds of the pace :D

DexDexter
3rd February 2011, 18:01
To be honest, this year my interest about pre-season has been greatly smaller than in previous years. Maybe because 2009 and 2010 included so many changes in pecking order and now it is calming down. :) When talking about predictions (interesting that I don't remember any such threads this year!!) I haven't really expected any changes to the pecking order. Top three teams in some kind of order are there and probably close together, it feels a bit of a long shot to expect Mercedes and Renault to really mix it up with them in the title fight. My main interest is related to Team Lotus - also because they are the main team, who I have been looking forward to really improve and mix it with the midfield. Shame that they are missing KERS though - this could turn out to be costly.

I'm sure Team Lotus could have bought the Renault Kers-unit from...eee Lotus-Renault. I don't understand why they didn't do that.

fandango
4th February 2011, 08:44
Jaysus, that new Renault paint job is ugly.

Retro Formula 1
4th February 2011, 14:26
I'm guessing the exhaust routing on the Ferrari needs a bit of snagging work done.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9387516.stm

Sonic
4th February 2011, 16:54
And as has been pointed out elsewhere (can't recall where) the fire revealed where the Ferrari engineers have routed the exhausts; straight through the starter motor hole of the diffuser.

Retro Formula 1
4th February 2011, 18:03
And as has been pointed out elsewhere (can't recall where) the fire revealed where the Ferrari engineers have routed the exhausts; straight through the starter motor hole of the diffuser.

Wasn't there a new rule saying that the starter motor hole should only be sufficient to attach a starter motor or something like that?

Sonic
4th February 2011, 18:10
Wasn't there a new rule saying that the starter motor hole should only be sufficient to attach a starter motor or something like that?

The rule was clarified thusly;

3.12.7 An aperture for the purpose of allowing access for the device referred to in Article 5.16 is permitted in this surface. However, no such aperture may have an area greater than 3500mm2 when projected onto the surface itself and no point on the aperture may be more than 100mm from any other point on the aperture.

My reading of that is they have regulated the size of the hole but do not forbid it to be used for blowing exhaust gasses into.

Sonic
4th February 2011, 18:21
Colour me comfused! :confused:

How have Team Lotus managed another test day at Valencia? When I first read they were staying on for today it appeared that they were doing filming work (which as I understand it is allowed) but they've run dozens of laps and posted times in the 1m15s!

Have I missed something here? Why didn't everyone else stay on if the track was open?

Sleeper
4th February 2011, 18:46
Colour me comfused! :confused:

How have Team Lotus managed another test day at Valencia? When I first read they were staying on for today it appeared that they were doing filming work (which as I understand it is allowed) but they've run dozens of laps and posted times in the 1m15s!

Have I missed something here? Why didn't everyone else stay on if the track was open?

They must be very fast recording laps then. Sauber did the same thing on monday.

DazzlaF1
4th February 2011, 20:40
They did do filming work but the managed a handful of quick installation like laps near the end of their runs. Basically they made up for missing the 1st day.

Trulli's best time was 1:15.679 which puts him 12th of the 16 drivers that drove the 2011 cars this week (Kovalainen;s 1:15.910 puts him 13th) and thats consdering that the team never really did much setup work because of the power steering problems, so all in all, its very promising for the Green Lotus.

Looking forward to Jerez already when McLaren, Force India and Virgin join the 2011 fray

Mia 01
4th February 2011, 21:03
I´m afraid that the bull will lap the whole field come race day, the new car is an evoloution of last years car and it has perhaps already as much downforce.

Sonic
4th February 2011, 21:18
^^^ I can't see that happening in modern F1. They'll certainly be at the sharp end but to lap the field they'd need a second a lap advantage.

DazzlaF1
4th February 2011, 21:34
^^^ I can't see that happening in modern F1. They'll certainly be at the sharp end but to lap the field they'd need a second a lap advantage.

Added to that I have a sneaky feeling that as ugly as the McLaren is, they may be onto a winner with that audacious sidepod design.

Mia 01
4th February 2011, 23:20
It´s so radical that it will be a vinner or a loser. Whith that long wheelbase and all the drag the BIG sidepods produce I hold my breath.

Mia 01
4th February 2011, 23:21
The word is out there, you only have to lissen henner.

Mia 01
4th February 2011, 23:24
I even think that the bull is so good that it don´t need to use KERS.

Tazio
4th February 2011, 23:28
I´m afraid that the bull will lap the whole field come race day, the new car is an evoloution of last years car and it has perhaps already as much downforce.That sure saves me a lot of time, as I live on the West Coast of the U.S. and live in GMT, during the season. Thanks for the tip Mia, I can now go to sleep after 8pm PST on the weekends.
Right on bro! :up:

Mia 01
4th February 2011, 23:47
Relax, the bulls can have a DFN from time to time. Or Mark can as usual take Seb out when needed.

Sonic
5th February 2011, 09:57
Mia is my fave poster - official! :D Never leave us!

Tazio
5th February 2011, 14:01
Mia is my fave poster - official! :D Never leave us!
I was the first member to recognize her as an ***** savant. :s mokin: