PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes W02 Launch Thread

christophulus
30th January 2011, 14:33
So it's not due for its official launch until Tuesday, but there's a CGI going around of what is supposed to be the new Mercedes:

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/a-mercedes-teaser/

http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/mgp-w02_teaser.jpg?w=500&h=333

ArrowsFA1
30th January 2011, 15:10
Looks tasty from that angle. Looks to be more McLaren-type silver than the previous dull grey as well.

Sonic
30th January 2011, 16:30
SUWEEEEEET! Now that's an F1 car!

I'll be interested to see the technical analysis to see what philosophy they've gone down with KERS placement.

DazzlaF1
30th January 2011, 17:21
So it's not due for its official launch until Tuesday, but there's a CGI going around of what is supposed to be the new Mercedes:

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/a-mercedes-teaser/

http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/mgp-w02_teaser.jpg?w=500&h=333

Nope, its the real thing, Autosport have confirmed that. Overall it has the look of a McLaren clone livery except replacing the Vodafone Red with Petronas Green

Rollo
30th January 2011, 22:56
I hope that they remove those smudgy black things from the engine cover. I would have hoped that MB would be trying to trade off of the image of the Silver Arrows, as they did in sports car racing.

steveaki13
30th January 2011, 23:38
Looks quite impressive but as ever its only pretty if its fast..

Rollo
1st February 2011, 10:58
From Autosport:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89189
http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1296550206.jpg

The one thing that isn't quite prominent enough IMWPO is ironicaly the Mercedes-Benz logos. The one on the nose is good enough, but the one on the engine cover is hard to find.

rbatista82
1st February 2011, 11:09
First photos
http://www.supermotores.net/sm/fotos.asp?id=216

philipbain
1st February 2011, 13:04
Nice to see that Mercedes have got thier act together in the paint job department - lasts year's car looked a mess, something which was highlighted at the Goodwood Festival Of Speed when they ran the 2009 Brawn, a car that looked pretty good in it's original paint scheme and painted it in the 2010 paint scheme which made it quite frankly look awful!

truefan72
1st February 2011, 15:14
that is one sweet looking car. Got to hand it to Mercedes, they did well. Awesome paintjob, nice curves, sleek and stylish...however, will it be able to compete with Mclaren, RBR, Ferrari and Renault?

Tazio
1st February 2011, 16:28
that is one sweet looking car. Got to hand it to Mercedes, they did well. Awesome paintjob, nice curves, sleek and stylish...however, will it be able to compete with Mclaren, RBR, Ferrari and Renault?

.......and hope springs eternal. :s mokin:
Wasn't it about this time last year that some of his steepest critics were begrudgingly saying:
"Mike will win the odd race but most likely he will tarnish his career accomplishments". I will say it again. The odds of that happening are very slim. Being a big supporter of him when he was with the Scuderia I would both criticized, and defended him last season.
Will Lake Geneva's favorite expatriate win or will he get punked by Britany again? I don't care either way, although NR is the real deal Don Steele, what creative bashing will we likely hear about Mike this season? What will he accomplish? Is he good for the sport, or is he Gone Johnson? :wave:

UltimateDanGTR
1st February 2011, 17:04
What a strangely beautiful looking car. Lets hope it goes like hell for competition purposes, especially in Nico's hands, as He deserves a car that he can win races in. I think I have said the same about Britney for the past 4 years though....

Sonic
1st February 2011, 19:46
Despite only nine laps running Nico is positively raving about the W02. I haven't heard anyone as gushy about their new steed since, well, only last year with Fernando as it goes, but still! He seems very content and fired up.

driveace
1st February 2011, 20:36
Again a very high nose as with the Ferrari released the other day

Sonic
1st February 2011, 20:46
Again a very high nose as with the Ferrari released the other day

I think that's pretty much mandated by the rules now.

christophulus
1st February 2011, 22:42
They should be back on form this year, I imagine they've had the money to make a decent car this time round.

Much nicer shade of green than last year too, makes a big difference.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st February 2011, 23:38
Mercedes GP are well off the pace.

I wonder if it is just a case of them being BAR Honda rebranded? How many of the technical people and designers are from the Honda days?

Was 2009 was a fluke for them (as BrawnGP) thanks to the regulation changes and now they have been left behind?

BDunnell
1st February 2011, 23:52

I wonder if it is just a case of them being BAR Honda rebranded? How many of the technical people and designers are from the Honda days?

Was 2009 was a fluke for them (as BrawnGP) thanks to the regulation changes and now they have been left behind?

Jackie Stewart's theory as to Mercedes' lack of form last year was that the 2009 Brawn was laid down in 2008 while it was still a Honda, and hence benefited from Honda's money. Then the 2010 Mercedes was laid down in 2009 with a smaller budget, before Merc's injection of cash.

Sonic
2nd February 2011, 00:02
Might be a bit early to brand them 'well off the pace' Jon. Just 30 odd laps split between two driver. Let's give 'em at least a month before we try and draw conclusions - otherwise my beloved Williams are screwed! ;) :D

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd February 2011, 00:03
I'm not expecting them to be front-runners, that's all. ;)

Sonic
2nd February 2011, 08:13
TBH I don't know what to expect. They were poor last year but the birth of the W01 was very compromised. If they continue to be off the pace this year then I think you can legitimately call 2009 a fluke. Time will tell I guess.

Dave B
2nd February 2011, 10:50
I shall continue my tradition of not commenting on testing times beyond saying they're interesting. :)

Mark
2nd February 2011, 11:09

It was a combination of several factors. Firstly that in 2008 they realised their car was an absolute dog very early on and set to work on the next years car very early, meaning they had lots of time to do development, plus at the time they had oodles of cash from Honda, I remember reading that at the time the Brawn was the most expensive F1 car ever developed.

They also interpreted the 2009 regulations much better than anyone else, but that alone wasn't the only factor.

SGWilko
2nd February 2011, 13:59
Britany

Who or what is Britany? A country? :p

Tazio
2nd February 2011, 15:09
Who or what is Britany? A country? :p
A nick-name for NR. I can't remember how it originated, but I believe it was first stated by another F1 driver.

SGWilko
2nd February 2011, 15:19
A nick-name for NR. I can't remember how it originated, but I believe it was first stated by another F1 driver.

Oh, you mean the Mark Webber moniker for Nico - Britney.

Tazio
2nd February 2011, 15:58
Yes! Sorry for the misspelling :blackeye:

UltimateDanGTR
2nd February 2011, 16:41
None of these new cars are anywhere near their top speed yet...Hence why the HRT was so far up the standings today. TBH, The testing results are so for safe to ignore completely.