PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see this available?

306 Cosworth
28th January 2011, 18:03
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1351341/Relief-pumps-Revolutionary-hydrogen-fuel-cost-just-90p-GALLON-run-existing-cars.html#comments

Fingers crossed it happens one day!

schmenke
28th January 2011, 20:28
Sounds rather vague, but suspiciously similar to current hydrogen fuel cell technology.

Hydrogen based fuels are over-hpyed.

Yes, hydrogen in pure form has a tremendous potential energy, but a lot of it is required at ambient temperature to produce enough to propel even a small car.
Hydrogen is the 2nd most abundant element on earth, but it rarely exists in its elemental gaseous form, H2. For hydrogen to be used as a viable fuel it needs to be synthesized from other compounds such as water, or… other fossil fuels :mark: . This requires an energy input that defeats the carbon footprint benefits of using hydrogen as a fuel.

There are other issues that make hydrogen impractical as a vehicular fuel source… storage, safety, etc.

Face it folks... our current insatiable levels of energy consumption can currently be satisfied through fossil fuels :mark: .

Mark
28th January 2011, 20:41
Silicon is the second most abundant element on earth :p

306 Cosworth
28th January 2011, 21:34
Sounds rather vague, but suspiciously similar to current hydrogen fuel cell technology.

Hydrogen based fuels are over-hpyed.

Yes, hydrogen in pure form has a tremendous potential energy, but a lot of it is required at ambient temperature to produce enough to propel even a small car.
Hydrogen is the 2nd most abundant element on earth, but it rarely exists in its elemental gaseous form, H2. For hydrogen to be used as a viable fuel it needs to be synthesized from other compounds such as water, or… other fossil fuels :mark: . This requires an energy input that defeats the carbon footprint benefits of using hydrogen as a fuel.

There are other issues that make hydrogen impractical as a vehicular fuel source… storage, safety, etc.

Face it folks... our current insatiable levels of energy consumption can currently be satisfied through fossil fuels :mark: .

At last a man speaks sense about something I don't understand :up:

Brown, Jon Brow
29th January 2011, 10:34
I'd take the science articles in the Daily Mail with a pinch of salt. They had an 'news article' the other day about how a star is due to go supernova and turn night to day. They fail to point out that it could happen any time within 2 million years.

AndySpeed
29th January 2011, 13:18
Hydrogen could technically be used to power my mobile phone. Not sure I'd be happy about having that in my pocket though.