PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Picks!

DanicaFan
25th January 2011, 21:13
Well, Im excited the Super Bowl is almost here. It sucks the Bears didnt make it. I was pulling for them.

I am just glad I dont have to see or hear Rex Ryan at the Super Bowl. I am going to pull for the Green Bay Packers and I think they will win.

What's everyone else's thoughts ??

anthonyvop
25th January 2011, 22:34
Not a fan of either team(Just really glad the Jersey Jets aren't in it) so the numbers and match ups lean towards the Steelers.
Vegas has GB by 2.5 but that is more a product of the team's underdog status and popularity.

Roamy
25th January 2011, 23:42
too bad the Jets didn't make it - now I have to listen to the steel curtain dynasty sh!t for two weeks

Tazio
26th January 2011, 03:13
I am just glad I dont have to see or hear Rex Ryan at the Super Bowl.

I am also.

Coaches shouldn't be popping off like he did!
If a player does he has to go in the game with a bull’s eye on his Jersey, and take his medicine.

now I have to listen to the steel curtain dynasty sh!t for two weeks
Also something that will nauseate me.

Usually when there is a Superbowl that I doesn't include a team care for, I go with the AFC.
!f it's an old AFL team (which Pittsburg isn't)
I'm pretty sure I won&#8217]Roamy remember when "Broadway Joe" guaranteed a Jets win in Superbowl 3[/B]

I believe that was back in 19 sixty and 9

Seems like just yesterday ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDg5vacKOs4

Tazio
26th January 2011, 11:00
The Dallas Cowboys for me..

The game is between Pittsburg, and Green Bay :rolleyes: :confused:

Sonic
26th January 2011, 19:50
I'll be honest I haven't got a clue when it comes to American Football. I don't think I've ever watched more than about 5 minutes in my life so possibly not the greatest idea of mine to make a prediction.

One question I do have which has probably been asked a thousand times is, why is it called American Football?? :)

Post. Of. The. Year! ROFL!

Tazio
26th January 2011, 20:20
I'll be honest I haven't got a clue when it comes to American Football. I don't think I've ever watched more than about 5 minutes in my life so possibly not the greatest idea of mine to make a prediction.

One question I do have which has probably been asked a thousand times is, why is it called American Football?? :) It's not called "American Football" in the US. It's just called Football. I use the former expression on here because the term Soccer always gets ridiculed.
None of this is to be confused with The National Football League, and the American Football League. Those two leagues merged around 1971 or so. The NFL pre merger was the establisment and had been around since at least the 1930's The AFL started in 1960 I believe. In the first two Superbowls (although they weren’t actually referred to as such) Were dominated by the NFL. The video link I pasted to my previous post had to do with The first time the NFL got beaten by the AFL. Joe Namath guaranteed it, even though they were like 18-22 point underdogs. He was just one in many real characters that played in sports that, well, are very American. At the time Namath was arguably the best, and he lived fast and loose.
You could say he was the James Hunt of American Football

gloomyDAY
26th January 2011, 20:39
Packers! This game is going to be tough for the Green Bay defense, but I'm hoping it will hold up the Steelers.

gloomyDAY
26th January 2011, 20:56
Jay Cutler is a wuss!

Football > Soccer

Just keep that in mind when you're favorite player is faking a foul.

anthonyvop
26th January 2011, 23:11
Jay Cutler is a wuss!

Judgmental couch potato!

Cutler suffered a torn medial collateral ligament in his right knee!!! Sorry he didn't cry like a school girl to appease your ignorance.

He led a mediocre team to a conference Championship, a playoff victory and one game from the Super Bowl and he is a wuss?

I don't even like the Bears but people's reaction to his injury is the stuff of jealousy.

gloomyDAY
26th January 2011, 23:21
Judgmental couch potato!

Cutler suffered a torn medial collateral ligament in his right knee!!! Sorry he didn't cry like a school girl to appease your ignorance.

He led a mediocre team to a conference Championship, a playoff victory and one game from the Super Bowl and he is a wuss?

I don't even like the Bears but people's reaction to his injury is the stuff of jealousy.lol @ couch potato

Cutler should go back to Denver. I think Bears fans don't care for him too much at the moment.

dunes
27th January 2011, 03:20
Green bay only cause i cant stand ben and his attitude. good or not i hope they knock him to the side lines on his first play

Roamy
27th January 2011, 06:41
Well I will take Cutler and give you Derek Anderson and Max Hall - Go Pack

Tazio
27th January 2011, 18:45
Jay Cutler is a wuss!

All “Skill Position” players are pussies now.
VVVV Skip forward to 1:45 Namath takes on two linebackers at same time.

The collision with one of the linebacker is full speed, head on, and helmet to helmet (there were no special rules protecting the QB back then)!
Of the three players Namath is the only player that didn't go down! He quickly gathers his senses and gains about ten more yards and after he is tackled by another big goon, a DB comes in head first just to make sure he stays down.

About Cutler;
He is a type 1 diabetic and it's quite remarkable that he even made the NFL,
to say nothing of the fact that his injury could be exacerbated by having diabetes his entire life.

glauistean
28th January 2011, 14:32
Judgmental couch potato!

I don't even like the Bears but people's reaction to his injury is the stuff of jealousy.

You got that right. I am surprised, although he was probably full of meds, that he made

it to the sideline. If the Bears won he would not have played in the SB.

I love the NFL. Followed it for years during some residency work long ago. Chicago in

'85/86 was the place to be. Monsters of the Midway.

Jay Cutler as Anthony says brought a team to a bye in the playoff's with a 7-I streak

after their break.

Tazio
28th January 2011, 16:51
Chicago in

'85/86 was the place to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IYkb5KZzzs

;)

gloomyDAY
28th January 2011, 19:13
You got that right. I am surprised, although he was probably full of meds, that he made

it to the sideline. If the Bears won he would not have played in the SB.

I love the NFL. Followed it for years during some residency work long ago. Chicago in

'85/86 was the place to be. Monsters of the Midway.

Jay Cutler as Anthony says brought a team to a bye in the playoff's with a 7-I streak

after their break.http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs025.snc6/165535_1819226807403_1442150711_2057905_5141965_n. jpg

Sprain not a tear.

Tazio
29th January 2011, 01:59
Jay Cutler is a wuss!

Football > Soccer

Just keep that in mind when you're favorite player is faking a foul.

:laugh: That's pretty hysterical in a really arrogant and ignorant way.

Have you seen a single Football game in the last year or two where a receiver that has a pass intended for him be broken up at the last second by the defensive back and not start motioning to the ref to pull out his penalty flag basically begging for a pass interference call? It's gotten to where they do it on every single close play.
Talk about begging for a penalty. :dozey:

The only difference between that and a soccer player going down and pretending to be in pain is they have stoppage time in soccer. If the guy is really hurt they get a stretcher out and take him off the field and the ref adds time at the end of the period. If the ref has a good view and can tell that this guy purposely faked it the faker will be shown a card. If he is stupid enough to do it again (and I'm not sure about this but I'm willing to bet that someone on this forum will either contradict me or sight an example where it has happened or if it is in fact the rule) The ref will show him a red card!

In football the only reason these guys don't start pleading their case is the ref will turn away and if the beggar doesn't get off the field or back into his huddle and have the next play started his team will either have to use one of its time outs, or be penalized 5 yards for "delay of game"! If the player gets upset with the ref on a personal level the team will receive a 15 yard penalty for "unsportsmanlike conduct", and if the player is stupid enough to touch the ref he will be thrown out of the game, plus the team will be assessed a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Sometimes the receiver has a legitimate complaint, another ref may drop his hanky and they(the refs) will talk about it (during an officials time out) If the other official says he had a better angle and saw something the closest ref didn't he will call the penalty.
In Football the worst thing that can happen is the ejected player is simply replaced by another receiver.
In Soccer you have to play a man down for the rest of the match.

Your arrogant comment reinforces something I had suspected for a while.

:s ailor: You Sir are a Capo in The Jingo-U.S./Mafia

You’re joining the Military?
Perfect;
You certainly do not need any indoctrination! :grenade: :s mokin:

gloomyDAY
29th January 2011, 07:02
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/078/937/original/Brett_Favre_U_Mad.jpg?1287814831

Tazio
29th January 2011, 09:18
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/078/937/original/Brett_Favre_U_Mad.jpg?1287814831

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://www.prnewschannel.com/absolutenm/templates/?z=4&a=3210

The latest chapter in the Brett Favre scandal has the ballplayer fessing up to only leaving voicemails, not to sending naked pictures of himself, as the scandal becomes a target on 'Saturday Night Live.'

According to the report, Favre told NFL officials he left voicemails for former Jets sideline reporter Jenn Sterger, but told the officials that he did not send text messages of his private parts. Last week, Brett Favre was interviewed by NFL vice president for security Milt Ahlerich about the scandal.

The Brett Favre scandal erupted following voicemails and naked photos purportedly sent by Farve in 2008, when Favre played for the Jets.

Sterger has not yet talked to the league about the situation. Fox Sports reports that could happen soon.

Meantime, Wrangler jeans' decision to stand by Brett Favre and continue to run a commercial that features Favre has now become a parody on NBC's 'Saturday Night Live.'

In the 'SNL' skit, Favre is played by SNL cast member Jason Sudekis who is promoting "Open Fly Jeans." With the audio: "Wrangler Open Fly Jeans feature an ultra-relaxed fit where you need it most -- the fly. Why let zippers and buttons slow you down?"

Favre then whips out an iPhone, and his manhood, and snaps pictures.

Not at all. :s mokin:

Tazio
29th January 2011, 15:39
:s ailor:...... :laugh: ...... :s mokin:
:rotflmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyKP2PQjmiE

Mark in Oshawa
30th January 2011, 04:14
I am pulling for the Pack. I like The Steelers too, but for the NFL, I have always cheered for the Packers. The team shouldn't have survived into the modern era, and yet it has, playing out of little ole Green Bay Wisconsin.

I like the Steelers as a team, and Troy Polamalu is a classy all world kind of talent, but for me, I think Charles Woodson and the Packers Defense will give the Pack the edge, and I do think Rodgers will get it done.

As for Cutler's injury, the controversay is arising because many of his teammates lost faith in him and apparnetly the Twitter traffic from members inside the Bears was not complimentry. THEY Think he pulled the chute....

I think he didn't, but I am not on the team either....

Henners, American Football is different from Canadian Football (not radically but more than realized at first glance) but both are derived from Rugby but somehow they evolved a different set of rules and eliminated the scrum to create to lines.

This all happened at the end of the 1870's when McGill from Montreal went down to play Harvard in a game of Rugby and the two schools were playing different rules. How this all came about and why they derived from Rugby is a mystery, but part of it was American schools didn't use their own stadiums and borrowed them from Baseball teams, and those stadiums wouldn't allow a larger rugby field. It just kept evolving....

Tazio
30th January 2011, 05:40
I am pulling for the Pack. I like The Steelers too, but for the NFL, I have always cheered for the Packers. The team shouldn't have survived into the modern era, and yet it has, playing out of little ole Green Bay Wisconsin.

I like the Steelers as a team, and Troy Polamalu is a classy all world kind of talent, but for me, I think Charles Woodson and the Packers Defense will give the Pack the edge, and I do think Rodgers will get it done.

As for Cutler's injury, the controversay is arising because many of his teammates lost faith in him and apparnetly the Twitter traffic from members inside the Bears was not complimentry. THEY Think he pulled the chute....

I think he didn't, but I am not on the team either....

Henners, American Football is different from Canadian Football (not radically but more than realized at first glance) but both are derived from Rugby but somehow they evolved a different set of rules and eliminated the scrum to create to lines.

This all happened at the end of the 1870's when McGill from Montreal went down to play Harvard in a game of Rugby and the two schools were playing different rules. How this all came about and why they derived from Rugby is a mystery, but part of it was American schools didn't use their own stadiums and borrowed them from Baseball teams, and those stadiums wouldn't allow a larger rugby field. It just kept evolving....

Mark great to have you back on these boards, as this particular topic has here-to-for been underwhelming in its contributions to this point!
I posted this Video:
Take a close look at it. I know that the film is old and it appears not to have much continuity.
The Subject is Joe Namath the Greatest Quarterback to ever play at Alabama (roll tide) and his contribution to the famous Super bowl 3 upset for the New York Jets over the Baltimore Colts. However If you look closely you will see pictures of two quarterbacks in Red wearing #12 and you will also see a play where as a Jet Namath is shown throwing a pass against the Kansas City Chiefs, to add to the confusion of redness.
The Middle aged man in the picture with the two # 12 quarterbacks is the Legendary coach Paul "Bear" Bryant. The left handed QB is a quarterback that succeeded Namath at Alabama (roll tide) that went by the name of Kenny "the snake" Stabler. I believe they included in the film the play against KC, because if you watch it you will realize that Namath threw that pass effortlessly 55 yards on a frozen rope right on the money. I can only think of a couple QB's that had the talent as a QB that "Joe Willie" possessed.
But here is my question. A QB that preceded Namath and played for Alabama (roll tide) distinguished himself in the NFL having only been the 200th player taken in the NFL draft after an 0-10 season at Alabama (roll tide) and preceded "The Bear" This QB won multiple NFL Championships.
:s ailor: Name him!

Tazio
30th January 2011, 08:02
I much better video and to the point!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrUgB55lLM4&NR=1

Tazio
31st January 2011, 11:37
But here is my question. A QB that preceded Namath and played for Alabama (roll tide) distinguished himself in the NFL having only been the 200th player taken in the NFL draft after an 0-10 season at Alabama (roll tide) and preceded "The Bear" This QB won multiple NFL Championships.
:s ailor: Name him! You guys are bumming me out!
Or are you just mad about the Favre deal? :bigcry: :rotflmao:

Here is a clue:

This QB played for one of the two protagonists in this year’s super bowl!

For Christ’s sake have a sense of history about the sport that we claim to love :rolleyes:

Mark in Oshawa
31st January 2011, 15:51
I would be thinking Bradshaw, but I don't recall him being a Bama guy. Then again, I never pay a whole lot of attention to the college game. If they are not from Michigan, I don't really pay that much attention....and I was just a kid when Bradshaw was tearing up the league...

Tazio
31st January 2011, 16:36
I would be thinking Bradshaw, but I don't recall him being a Bama guy. Then again, I never pay a whole lot of attention to the college game. If they are not from Michigan, I don't really pay that much attention....and I was just a kid when Bradshaw was tearing up the league...
OK now we are getting somewhere! I believe Bradshaw played some place like N.E. Louisiana. Plus he played after Namath. The QB I'm thinking of was born in Montgomery Alabama (roll tide) and was a championship winning QB for the Green Bay Packers!

gloomyDAY
31st January 2011, 20:01
OK now we are getting somewhere! I believe Bradshaw played some place like N.E. Louisiana. Plus he played after Namath. The QB I'm thinking of was born in Montgomery Alabama (roll tide) and was a championship winning QB for the Green Bay Packers!Let Brett think for a second....

http://www.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2009/02/12/favrewonders.jpg

Scott Hunter?

Looks as if I'll miss the game. ****ing land navigation training this weekend at Camp Pendleton.

Tazio
31st January 2011, 20:21
Let Brett think for a second....

http://www.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2009/02/12/favrewonders.jpg

Scott Hunter?

Looks as if I'll miss the game. ****ing land navigation training this weekend at Camp Pendleton.
The guy I'm thinking about was the winning QB in the first two Super Bowls and played for the Coach that the Super Bowl trophy is named after! :crazy: :bigcry: :beer: :bigcry:

Tazio
31st January 2011, 20:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcnbT_0bhx4

Tazio
1st February 2011, 00:34
.................. :laugh: ............................. :dozey: ................................. :s ailor:................................. :s mokin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocV5bGHdYag

anthonyvop
1st February 2011, 04:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHX-obVmY5I

Tazio
1st February 2011, 04:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHX-obVmY5I

Loved the team! Csonka, Kick
and Mercury Morris were quite a combination,
Miami were a very special, and a well coached team.
Don Shula,
if I am not mistaken was the coach of the Baltimore Colts that The Jets and "Joe Willie" took down in Super Bowl 3.
I know he was for Suoer Bowl 5.

Yo! Tony,
who was the quarterback that I am trying to get someone to name?
Packers Late 50' through late 60's maybe even early 70's.
Come on Man!!! :s mokin:

Tazio
1st February 2011, 06:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGVEAsOXWlM

This was also another great super bowl.
They had Hank Stram mic’ed;
I remember two things he said in that game that I can't get out of my head.
He was really wired;
I mean he put me on acid.
He said:
"We are matriculating the ball down the field boys. :)

And on a key play that went for a huge gain, a play that must have been something he knew would work for running back Mike Garret. He sends in a player in with the call, and then he starts talking to his guys on the side lines "Here it is the 67 toss power trap" he's really animated "67 toss power trap watch it boys! I called it the 67 toss power trap." He was certifiable. :p :

The thing that I remember about the Jet's playing the San Diego Chargers (I don’t believe I missed a single one) was it was always close, and the combined score was always around 100 points. At least in San Diego it was pretty even in terms of who won.
But what was really cool about Namath is win or lose he would always be quoted in the paper saying that John Hadl

http://www.conigliofamily.com/images/HadlSmall.jpg

was the best QB in the league.

Looking back at it I bet he said the same thing in KC about Len Dawson,
and in Oakland about Daryle “The Mad Bomber" Lamonica. What everybody really knew was he meant the greatest after him.
I relished every AFL victory over the NFL.

On a slightly different note I posted another link (the first one) that shows both Namath and Stabler on the team, at the same time. Stabler was actually not eligible yet But the Bear wasn’t going to let him get away.
I remember seeing a piece on Stabler a long time ago but still long after he played. He was an Alabama (roll tide) boy, and he mentioned that he spent most of his time on "The Redneck Riviera" I’m guessing that is along the coast of the Pan-handle through the coast of Mississippi, and Alabama (roll tide) I'm also guessing that you are acquainted with this area. Unlike the Riviera that runs from the Bay of Spezia through Monaco, and southern France. I think it would be fair to say that you don't wear a money belt, and you probably don't see rich Russians in Ferrari's and Arabic types doing the same. You (I'm guessing) would carry a 357 Magnum in a shoulder harness, a 7mm in one of your boots, and a buck knife on your belt. You would see Corvettes, Blown Chryslers with Hemi's, maybe a couple Cobras, and even a Duce Coupe or two. I don't think you would have to worry about gun-play because them old boys(if they took a disliking to you) they would just as soon beat the crap out of you with a night stick or baseball bat as look at you!. Somehow I just can't feature someone going down there and saying "Boys your 'hog-irons' are no longer legal”!
Is that about right? :s mokin:

Tazio
1st February 2011, 12:19
:s ailor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-uHdFoCnKw
:s ailor:

anthonyvop
1st February 2011, 21:39
Loved the team! Csonka, Kick
and Mercury Morris were quite a combination,
Miami were a very special, and a well coached team.
Don Shula,
if I am not mistaken was the coach of the Baltimore Colts that The Jets and "Joe Willie" took down in Super Bowl 3.
I know he was for Suoer Bowl 5.

Yo! Tony,
who was the quarterback that I am trying to get someone to name?
Packers Late 50' through late 60's maybe even early 70's.
Come on Man!!! :s mokin:

Bart Starr

Tazio
1st February 2011, 22:56
Bart Starr
:s ailor: Bingo!!!!!

Wade91
6th February 2011, 22:27
Steelers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHF-JU2dWEs

gloomyDAY
7th February 2011, 03:12
Packers won! :)

What a hell of a game.

Mark in Oshawa
7th February 2011, 05:21
It makes my heart good to know you are a Steeler's fan Wade!

My Packers just had the better Quarterback!!!

Tazio
7th February 2011, 15:49
It makes my heart good to know you are a Steeler's fan Wade!

My Packers just had the better Quarterback!!!
Very observant of you Mark!
The kid out of Cal. Berkeley really was the difference.
It was very representative of your average NFL game,
with the notable exception of halftime being more than 12 minutes.
Excepting the technical sound problems, the halftime show was the most entertaining part of the entire shooting match IMO.
Of course that had a lot to do with not having a preference of who the winner was.
Later goons ;)

Wade91
9th February 2011, 05:48
Very observant of you Mark!
The kid out of Cal. Berkeley really was the difference.
It was very representative of your average NFL game,
with the notable exception of halftime being more than 12 minutes.
Excepting the technical sound problems, the halftime show was the most entertaining part of the entire shooting match IMO.
Of course that had a lot to do with not having a preference of who the winner was.
Later goons ;)
i agree the halftime show was really good :D probably the best one i've seen in recent years

Edrick
10th February 2011, 13:48
Pittsburg my favorite.
I always cheer and pray for Pittsburg.

Edrick
12th February 2011, 12:26
Hi All,
Tell me who's your favorite?
Vishal Bhatia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyipu-3Jhk4)