PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone Again

DanicaFan
25th January 2011, 20:56
I just wanted to say hello to everyone here at the forum. I have been away for awhile and very busy. I wanted to say I really like the new look here on the forum and that I am excited that the racing season is approaching fast. We have NASCAR starting in less than a month and IndyCar starting in March. I am excited.

So here is to another great season of posts and topics discussed here at the forum. Look forward to a great season.

Dr. Krogshöj
25th January 2011, 21:07
I wouldn't really care if NASCAR didn't start at all this year :) , but I am too looking forward to the IndyCar and F1 seasons. Welcome back.

DanicaFan
25th January 2011, 21:09
I wouldn't really care if NASCAR didn't start at all this year :) , but I am too looking forward to the IndyCar and F1 seasons. Welcome back.

Thanks, its good to be back. IndyCar is my favorite but I like NASCAR too, more excited about Nationwide though obviously. I look for Danica to improve considerably in the Nationwide Series this year and make consistent top 10's.

Lee Roy
25th January 2011, 21:52

Does this mean we can look for your absence on the NASCAR forum this year?

anthonyvop
25th January 2011, 22:26
I really like the new look here on the forum and that I am excited that the racing season is approaching fast. We have NASCAR starting in less than a month and IndyCar starting in March. I am excited.

The real Racing Season started last weekend with the 100th Anniversary of the Rally du Monte Carlo.

http://www.rallysportlive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/irc-rallye-monte-carlo-2010-sebastien-ogier.jpg

This weekend the Rally America Championship Kicks off a new season and the 24 Hours of Daytona is run.
BTW
Dakar officially started Dec 31st so it is technically a 2010 event.

TURN3
25th January 2011, 23:00

Chris R
26th January 2011, 00:10

I second this post - NASCAR is not what it used to be...... Ok, so Indycar isn't either - but I still think the the best race cars don't have fenders!! Although that rally car is pretty darn impressive!! ;)

DanicaFan
26th January 2011, 00:54
Dont forget the Rolex 24 at Daytona starts this weekend.

Chris R
26th January 2011, 01:26
Dont forget the Rolex 24 at Daytona starts this weekend.

now there is an event that is truly and totally not at all what it used to be...... Granted it still brings out some name drivers - but yikes - those cars are ugly, slow and boring compared to the ones that came before them...... sorry don't mean to be such a downer - but much like NASCAR, I no longer look forward to it like I used to.....

Chamoo
26th January 2011, 04:23
now there is an event that is truly and totally not at all what it used to be...... Granted it still brings out some name drivers - but yikes - those cars are ugly, slow and boring compared to the ones that came before them...... sorry don't mean to be such a downer - but much like NASCAR, I no longer look forward to it like I used to.....

Imagine seeing ALMS running the 24 Hours of Daytona?

FormerFF
26th January 2011, 04:30
Imagine seeing ALMS running the 24 Hours of Daytona?

I've always wondered what the ACO would think about having a 24 hour race in the ALMS. My guess is that they wouldn't approve of it, though they might make an exception for Daytona. For the foreseeable future it's a theoretical question anyway.

Mark
26th January 2011, 10:28
The real Racing Season started last weekend with the 100th Anniversary of the Rally du Monte Carlo.

Ah but that's rally, it's not racing!

beachbum
26th January 2011, 12:05
now there is an event that is truly and totally not at all what it used to be...... Granted it still brings out some name drivers - but yikes - those cars are ugly, slow and boring compared to the ones that came before them...... sorry don't mean to be such a downer - but much like NASCAR, I no longer look forward to it like I used to.....IMHO, it all depends on what you consider entertaining about racing. A close friend and I were discussing the very topic recently. They like "high tech" series like F1 and ALMS, even if the on track competition is often pretty dull, while I prefer close competition even if the racing is spec racing or "low" tech. What may seem odd is that both of us were involved in pro racing - they were on track where wheel to wheel racing was the focus and I was a crew chief where the latest technology was at the forefront. Now, we tend to like to opposite, although we both follow the same series.

We both watch all kinds of racing, as all series have their attractions. Grand-Am and Indy Car may be "spec" series, but the on track competition is often very close.

Lee Roy
26th January 2011, 14:10
Grand-Am and Indy Car may be "spec" series, but the on track competition is often very close.

Just curious. With several different chasis manufacturers and several different engine manufacturers to choose from, what is it about Grand Am that makes you call it "spec".

anthonyvop
26th January 2011, 16:38
Just curious. With several different chasis manufacturers and several different engine manufacturers to choose from, what is it about Grand Am that makes you call it "spec".

Grand Am is Spec like NASCAR is spec. Most series have a set a rules and then tell the people to have at it. Grand Am tells builders how they have to build it. No bigger...no smaller. Also every part and manufacturer has to be approved before use. I can build the Baddest, sexiest, Daytona Prototype within the rules and if G/A says no I can't run it.

For example. Under the ACO/ALMS rules Audi and Peugeot saw how a Diesel powered car would have a power advantage and so invested time and money to develop them....Surprising more than a few people.

In Grand-Am they would have had to build the engine then presented to them and hope for approval before running them. The fact that they are within the rules in immaterial.

In the GT class they allow Tube frame chassis in which many of the cars are identical under the skin. In fact they use to run Pontiac GTO's. Once Pontiac ceased to exist many teams just slapped on some new body panels and viola.........Camaros!

Simply put if LMS/ALMS is the sportscar equivalent of F-1 then Grand-Am is the Sportscar equivalent of Indy Car.

That being said I am on my way to Daytona 2morrow morning. They do produce close racing but it is in now way an innovative or cutting edge series.

anthonyvop
26th January 2011, 16:39
I've always wondered what the ACO would think about having a 24 hour race in the ALMS. My guess is that they wouldn't approve of it, though they might make an exception for Daytona. For the foreseeable future it's a theoretical question anyway.

Up until the early 90's and the creation of the G/A the 24hours of Daytona was a IMSA(Current ALMS) race.

bblocker68
26th January 2011, 16:46
Up until the early 90's and the creation of the G/A the 24hours of Daytona was a IMSA(Current ALMS) race.

And it was AWESOME!!!! I'll still be watching the 24 on Saturday. It's the kick-off for my racing season, woo!! Lots of IndyCar drivers out there to watch. Can't wait :)

SoCalPVguy
26th January 2011, 17:24
I just wanted to say hello to everyone here at the forum. I have been away for awhile and very busy. I wanted to say I really like the new look here on the forum and that I am excited that the racing season is approaching fast. We have NASCAR starting in less than a month and IndyCar starting in March. I am excited.

So here is to another great season of posts and topics discussed here at the forum. Look forward to a great season.

I for one am not that thrilled to have you back. I am definitely not looking forward to another long boring season of your strident predictions that Danica will win every pole, win every race, and then the constant whining about how its not Danica's fault when she doesn't.

beachbum
26th January 2011, 17:42
Just curious. With several different chassis manufacturers and several different engine manufacturers to choose from, what is it about Grand Am that makes you call it "spec".Check out the rules. The cars use many of the same components and the engines are strictly regulated. Some parts are mandated by the series. Here (http://www.grand-am.com/grand-am101/index.cfm?cid=24613) is a good explanation of the restricted rules. Underneath the fiberglass and carbon, the cars are all very much alike.

Lee Roy
26th January 2011, 17:49
For example. Under the ACO/ALMS rules Audi and Peugeot saw how a Diesel powered car would have a power advantage and so invested time and money to develop them....Surprising more than a few people.

In Grand-Am they would have had to build the engine then presented to them and hope for approval before running them. The fact that they are within the rules in immaterial.

Thanks for the explanation, and I do prefer the ACO/ALMS cars over the Grand Am cars (but not to the exclusion). But just remember that after Audi brought in their diesel, the ACO choked down the gasoline fueled cars so they wouldn't give them much competition. I love Le Mans, but get tired of ACO chosing the winner ahead of time.

Lee Roy
26th January 2011, 17:51
Check out the rules. The cars use many of the same components and the engines are strictly regulated. Some parts are mandated by the series. Here (http://www.grand-am.com/grand-am101/index.cfm?cid=24613) is a good explanation of the restricted rules. Underneath the fiberglass and carbon, the cars are all very much alike.

Thanks.

TURN3
26th January 2011, 19:25
I for one am not that thrilled to have you back. I am definitely not looking forward to another long boring season of your strident predictions that Danica will win every pole, win every race, and then the constant whining about how its not Danica's fault when she doesn't.

You're not alone...but my post got bounced!!

harvick#1
26th January 2011, 19:45

the ILMC, looking like 45+ car grids each race, I'm the same, dont really care when nascar starts. F1 should be awesome this year. the IRL I hope has improved.

and anthony, the racing season started with the DAKAR rally ;)

harvick#1
26th January 2011, 19:50
IMHO, it all depends on what you consider entertaining about racing. A close friend and I were discussing the very topic recently. They like "high tech" series like F1 and ALMS, even if the on track competition is often pretty dull, while I prefer close competition even if the racing is spec racing or "low" tech. What may seem odd is that both of us were involved in pro racing - they were on track where wheel to wheel racing was the focus and I was a crew chief where the latest technology was at the forefront. Now, we tend to like to opposite, although we both follow the same series.

We both watch all kinds of racing, as all series have their attractions. Grand-Am and Indy Car may be "spec" series, but the on track competition is often very close.

how is ALMS dull and boring???? the GT2 category has been a fist fight brawl with Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, and Corvette the past year. the proto's are kinda hurt but the ILMC events will be stacked, one can only hope the Diesels have been cut for equal competition but I highly doubt it. there is not a more friendly atmosphere than being at a ALMS event

harvick#1
26th January 2011, 19:52

because its basically the same as Nascar, the chassis' are really no different from each other appearance wise outside of some decal jobs.

beachbum
26th January 2011, 21:19
how is ALMS dull and boring???? the GT2 category has been a fist fight brawl with Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, and Corvette the past year. the proto's are kinda hurt but the ILMC events will be stacked, one can only hope the Diesels have been cut for equal competition but I highly doubt it. there is not a more friendly atmosphere than being at a ALMS eventYou answered your own question. I like watching the prototypes on track as their performance is impressive, but the class is very weak and thin, especially when Audi and Peugeot aren't around.. The GT's do have some good battles, but after you move away from the factory teams, the fields are pretty weak. Looking only at GT, both series are fairly similar. Don't get me wrong, I follow both series as well as Indy Car, NASCAR, NHRA, etc. They all have their individual attractions, but I try not to be blind to the weaknesses of each. All of them have their own problems in the current environment.

The biggest issue in both series is the need for "gentlemen" (gender neutral term) drivers to fund many teams and fill out the fields. That has always been the case in endurance racing, but if fans on this forum want to blast away at "ride buyers" in Indy Car, where are the criticisms about ALMS and Grand-Am? Some of the drivers are well off the pace but are there because they a) own the team or b) fund the team.

Flatsixrules
27th January 2011, 00:21
Grand Am is Spec like NASCAR is spec. Most series have a set a rules and then tell the people to have at it. Grand Am tells builders how they have to build it. No bigger...no smaller. Also every part and manufacturer has to be approved before use. I can build the Baddest, sexiest, Daytona Prototype within the rules and if G/A says no I can't run it.

What I've never understood is just how they designed in ugly to the rules for the Protoslugs. Having said that, I'll still watch all I can this weekend. Kicks off the season for me nicely.

FormerFF
27th January 2011, 02:30
I agree with most of that, but a 12 or 24 hour race is about the cars and not as much about the wheel to wheel competition.

It's maybe more akin the kind of competition that a golf tournament is, in that it is the team and drivers against the course. The way to win at LeMans and Sebring is to go the entire distance putting down strong lap after strong lap without incident. Daytona is a little more forgiving of issues because of the number of safety car periods, but you still have to be both quick and mostly trouble free.

In days gone by saving the car was important, but as good as the cars are now they are all near flat out all the time.

px400r
27th January 2011, 11:45
how is ALMS dull and boring???? the GT2 category has been a fist fight brawl with Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, and Corvette the past year. the proto's are kinda hurt but the ILMC events will be stacked, one can only hope the Diesels have been cut for equal competition but I highly doubt it. there is not a more friendly atmosphere than being at a ALMS event

Most fans have an affinity for one form of motorsport or another. We all have our preferences.

I've been around long enough to know that when people really like one form of racing, the usual reason is it's "competitiveness."

When they don't like another, it's because it's "spec" or "boring."

beachbum
27th January 2011, 12:00
What I've never understood is just how they designed in ugly to the rules for the Protoslugs. Having said that, I'll still watch all I can this weekend. Kicks off the season for me nicely.The basic dimensions are dictated by the rules. The one that makes the cars look a bit "unusual" today is the large and wide "greenhouse". But that exists for a purpose. It increases frontal area, and therefore drag. With the HP cap and the big drag from the big windshield, they effectively limit top speeds. Add in other aero limitations, such as the mandated rear wing, and the cars have lots of drag and not as much downforce as other prototypes like in ALMS.

They show one of the big issues with rules that mandate low downforce (a favorite "solution" thrown around by internet experts). No only do the cars look a bit odd compared to other modern race cars, but they are relatively slow in the corners. Early in Grand-Am, some of the GT's were almost as quick as the prototypes, especially in the turns. The prototypes were superior in braking and acceleration because of weight and tires, but corner speeds and top end were similar. So now the common knock on Grand-Am is that the cars are much slower than ALMS.

Move to low downforce in Indy Car, and the gap between them and F1 gets much larger. That comparison is often used by some disgruntled fans on this forum and others to "prove" why Indy Car isn't really a top series. Make the cars even slower, and let the gripes begin.

In the end, IMHO the only real consideration is the "show". Do the cars put on a good show and it the racing entertaining? If the answer is "yes", people watch. If the answer is "not so much", the series fade and often eventually fail.

SoCalPVguy
28th January 2011, 19:45
That's because you were nastier about it. For both of you, check out the ignore feature and USE it if you don't want to read another member's posts.

Great Idea, thanks !!! I think I will start with you.

SarahFan
29th January 2011, 16:23
Yo Dfan
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/news/show/41037-fans-can-vote-for-indy-500-dream-lineup-at-and-39-greatest-33and-39-website/

I think even you agrre that Danica wont make the final 33 (right?)......But do you think she will make the list of 100?

Chris R
29th January 2011, 18:05
It would be a pretty serious injustice if she even made the list of 100 at this stage of her career. She might earn it eventually but not yet....

beachgirl
29th January 2011, 19:11
It would be a pretty serious injustice if she even made the list of 100 at this stage of her career. She might earn it eventually but not yet....

But, but but....she's HOT!

DanicaFan
29th January 2011, 19:38
Yo Dfan
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/news/show/41037-fans-can-vote-for-indy-500-dream-lineup-at-and-39-greatest-33and-39-website/

I think even you agrre that Danica wont make the final 33 (right?)......But do you think she will make the list of 100?

Yes, I know she will make the list of 100, and she deserves it, plus she deserves to make the final 33 as well. She has my vote!!

DBell
29th January 2011, 20:51
Yes, I know she will make the list of 100, and she deserves it, plus she deserves to make the final 33 as well. She has my vote!!

Alright, I don't tend to make any post about Danica anymore because, frankly, I find it boring. And since that's about half the post at this forum, I don't post here much anymore. That being said, I can't let this go by, as much I as I wanted to.

Dfan, there have been 67 different winners of the 500 going into this year and yet you would put her on a list of 33, ahead of 34 other winners. Someone with 6 career 500 starts and 2 top 5 finishes deserves to be in the top 33? Take the blinders off, Dfan...that is as ridiculous a statement as you have ever made on this forum. And you've made a few. Even a hack like Cheever deserves to be ahead of her on this list.

SarahFan
29th January 2011, 21:05
Starter!.... Seriously!

Poster known as danicafan is real.....after reading the above post are you really going to let the sillyness continue?

Jag_Warrior
29th January 2011, 21:38

Welcome back, dude. As you know, I have no use for your favorite driver. But I've always found you to be one of the more entertaining, if not interesting posters here.

DanicaFan
29th January 2011, 22:45
Welcome back, dude. As you know, I have no use for your favorite driver. But I've always found you to be one of the more entertaining, if not interesting posters here.

Thanks JagWarrior. She has proven herself at Indy. She is the only female to lead laps and nearly won the darn race that year and she has finished 3rd at Indy, the highest finish of a female driver. Yes, she does deserve to be there.

px400r
29th January 2011, 22:46
But I've always found you to be one of the more entertaining, if not interesting posters here.

That's how I feel about American Idol auditions...

DBell
29th January 2011, 23:40
Thanks JagWarrior. She has proven herself at Indy. She is the only female to lead laps and nearly won the darn race that year and she has finished 3rd at Indy, the highest finish of a female driver. Yes, she does deserve to be there.

Female? So what? It's a list about the best drivers, not about gender. Should we put Guthrie on the list because she was the first female to make the race? I'll give you the fact that her record at Indy isn't bad and maybe at the end of her career she'll have some results to justify her being mentioned with people who have won the race. She'll have to stay in Indy cars for that to happen and she seems to want to follow the money to Nascar.

As a driver, I thought Michael Andretti was one of the best Indy car drivers of his time, but he couldn't nail down that 500 win that eluded him. So I wouldn't put him above any of the 67 winners on a list for the top Indy 500 drivers of all time. Maybe he'd be 68, but it's about winning and he didn't accomplish that. Darn near doesn't mean squat.

Welcome back DanicaFan. Unlike some, I don't make this personal. I may find some of your statements over the top and way off, but other than that, I have no issue with you.

Mark in Oshawa
30th January 2011, 04:30
Danica Fan, I like having you around, but I find your delusions about your woman to be almost frustrating in their naivety.

That said, I wont knock you for being a fan man.....