PDA

View Full Version : Fuel costs vs income

Mark
24th January 2011, 08:44
I don't want to get into yet another "Petrol costs £x.xx here" thread. But simply, how long do you have to be at work every day before you work off the cost of getting there and back?

For me it's slightly complicated as I don't do the full trip to work every day, but, it works out at about 2 hours at work, out of my scheduled 7.5 hours that I have to work before I've paid for the fuel just to get me there.

What about you?

Zico
24th January 2011, 08:54
I'll have to talk in the past tense as Im no longer employed :/ (Going back to college next week) but 1 and a half hours would have paid for both my daily journeys to and from work.

GridGirl
24th January 2011, 09:00
How are you calculating the cost per mile and the hours?

Mark
24th January 2011, 09:24
How are you calculating the cost per mile and the hours?

Just the rough cost of fuel for getting to and from work and the number of hours I'm contracted to work each day.
I refuel twice a week so it's not difficult to gauge how much fuel it takes to get there.

555-04Q2
24th January 2011, 09:57
For me, its only 7 minutes :)

Tazio
24th January 2011, 10:10
My fuel consumption varies as I own a small Home Improvement Co.
It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm just doing estimates I’m driving around my territory just burning fuel.
If I’m doing installations I would say between 15 minutes to 1/2 hour.
However;
With the funky economy there are days I don't bother firing up either of my "Rigs" :(

MrJan
24th January 2011, 11:00
A rough estimate suggest that I spend about £1600 a year just on commuting, that's painful.

GridGirl
24th January 2011, 13:17
Based on some quite ropey calculations I think I have to work 2.6 hours per week at my gross wage to pay for fuel on my commute to and from the office only. Although this all goes out the window when I go out to clients and claim back expenses.

Retro Formula 1
24th January 2011, 13:28
I contribute £50 per month towards a fuel card that covers all personal mileage :D

schmenke
24th January 2011, 14:27
Based on my gross salary, and a required fill up approximately every week and a half (~10 days), I calculate just over 3 minutes :erm: .

Alexamateo
24th January 2011, 14:37
$0 as my commute involves walking upstairs. :p :D , and when I do drive I expense $.51 per mile IRS rate. My actual per mile fuel costs amount to $.16~.18/mile but of course the the rest is for maintenance/insurance/ etc.

Daniel
24th January 2011, 16:24
About half an hour or so I'd guess? So like GG it's about 2.5 hours per week. But then I do work far closer to home sometimes so at times it can be minutes.

Quite happy with the 500, my total fuel cost last year was 1788 which I think is good considering my commute is 18 miles each way plus that doesn't include a few trips down to london, a trip up to the lakes for Marks stag do, then up for his wedding and then a 2000 mile roadtrip through europe :)

29th January 2011, 05:36
If you are derive more then you have not possible to pay money every time to fuel. You have some passion to your vehicles drive in less mileage. because in everyday fuel is increase.

janneppi
29th January 2011, 08:05
About 1,2 hours, if I'd use the car, but it's half of that since I use a bus.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th January 2011, 10:29
Based on my car doing 40mpg I have to work about 12 minutes to pay the fuel. The bus ticket would take me 50minutes to pay off and would make me either 40 minutes early or 20 minutes late.

Sonic
29th January 2011, 12:18
Well if I don't burn fuel I don't make any money so it could cost 20% more than what it does now and I'd still have a gasoline addiction :D

Tazio
29th January 2011, 14:20
My "great equalizer" :D

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/2/l_5269e4bded774da4abc55a51f2924898.jpg

Sonic
29th January 2011, 15:06
^^^

I'm too dangerous on two wheels.

J4MIE
29th January 2011, 16:08
At the moment I spend three hours a day on a bus to/from Edinburgh, and get a weekly ticket for £23, plus then a local bus is £11. But the other day I was thinking it may be worth splashing out on a car, not moneywise as the petrol alone would be £50 a week, but it would take about half the travel time, I could put the heater on when it's cold (imagine), and wouldn't have to sit next to smelly people moaning about buses.

Sonic
29th January 2011, 16:27
Just read a little article on 'artificial petrol'. It's a paper article so I can't post it here but the general gist is that a group of scientist in Oxfordshire have developed a hydrogen based liquid with similar properties to petrol. It's cheap to produce (19 pence a litre) and requires no modifications to a current internal combustion engine.

The science is beyond me but if these guys have really found a way to store hydrogen safely and cheaply (which of course when burnt produces next to no harmful emissions) they might just be BILLIONAIRES!

I might do some googling to see if I can find a link.

Sonic
29th January 2011, 16:29
Here we go;

http://www.manufacturingdigital.com/sectors/chemicals-plastics/uk-scientists-invent-artificial-petrol

christophulus
29th January 2011, 21:19
Hmm, my rough mental maths says about 1hr a day out of the 8hrs I work. :/

Tazio
30th January 2011, 22:19
I was going through my owner’s manual to make sure I was covering everything that needed to be checked or adjusted on my Aprilia Shiver. I came across some information that affected me profoundly. If I ran the bike on the touring map instead of the sport map I would average 5 miles per gallon better mileage. I had run it through all the maps and decided to leave it in sport, because that is the fastest and most responsive mode.
After I decided that the prudent thing to do is run my suicide machine in touring, I realized I had forgotten how to do it. I had to go back to my manual and read the instructions all over again.
Just like Felipe I realized I had too many buttons on my handle bars.
Sucks Bro!! :rolleyes: :p : :s mokin:

Rollo
30th January 2011, 22:40
I live 44km from where I work across Sydney. The breakeven point is $48, being the price of a combined train-bus-ferry ticket. That would mean that the daily costs are $9.60.

The costs for me to get to work and back, allowing for annual leave and whatnot is 16mins 59seconds.
Smart cookies should be able to work out what I'm worth in a year :D

Daniel
30th January 2011, 22:44
The costs for me to get to work and back, allowing for annual leave and whatnot is 16mins 59seconds.
Smart cookies should be able to work out what I'm worth in a year :D

More than what you're worth? :D

Rollo
30th January 2011, 22:48
More than what you're worth? :D

Oh hell yes. :D

I think that there is a great deal of difference between what workers are actually worth and what they are paid. People who are paid less often return multiples of their wage in value to their firms, whereas at the other extreme, plenty of managers, opera singers and people like premiership footballers are overpaid for what they actually do.

Daniel
30th January 2011, 22:50
Oh hell yes. :D

I think that there is a great deal of difference between what workers are actually worth and what they are paid. People who are paid less often return multiples of their wage in value to their firms, whereas at the other extreme, plenty of managers, opera singers and people like premiership footballers are overpaid for what they actually do.

Agreed. Accountants are paid about what they're worth if I'm honest. But I would say that as my mum is one and I wince at what her hourly rate (no jokes) must be considering her wage!

GridGirl
31st January 2011, 10:02
When I started 10 years ago my charge out rate was £30 per hour and my salary was £14,000 per annum.

Update: It now takes me zero hours of my week to pay for fuel to commute. :D

schmenke
31st January 2011, 14:53
I live 44km from where I work across Sydney. The breakeven point is $48, being the price of a combined train-bus-ferry ticket. That would mean that the daily costs are $9.60. ...

$48.00 for weekly public transit cost? :cornfused:

Mark
31st January 2011, 15:04
Approx £30 per week. That's not so bad. That's about what mine is per day!

Retro Formula 1
31st January 2011, 16:52
Here we go;

http://www.manufacturingdigital.com/sectors/chemicals-plastics/uk-scientists-invent-artificial-petrol

By the time the Govt has taxed it, it will be more than Petrol :(

Sonic
31st January 2011, 21:30
Sure, but nevertheless it's interesting technology and hopefully the price would remain a bit more stable. Far more importantly than the cost it could be the solution to our petrol head needs.

Rollo
31st January 2011, 21:44
$48.00 for weekly public transit cost? :cornfused:

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad297/rollo75/tix.jpg

$48.00 - That includes all buses, ferries and trains for as many times as its possible to use in a week.

The 12:18 Lithgow train has the nickname of "The Six Dollar Hotel", because it you were a homeless person, you could for $6 take a trip on the train which would take 2 hours, 59 minutes and then take the same train back to Sydney which also takes 2 hours, 59 minutes after waiting 15 minutes at Lithgow.

Mark
1st February 2011, 10:00
Artificial petrol at 20p per litre is still cheaper than the base price of petrol at the moment, so even if they tax it the same, it'll still be better than currently. Of course there are all the distribution costs and profits to be piled onto that too.

airshifter
2nd February 2011, 02:21
When I started 10 years ago my charge out rate was £30 per hour and my salary was £14,000 per annum.

Update: It now takes me zero hours of my week to pay for fuel to commute. :D

I was feeling guilty until you posted this. My fuel costs are even less than yours. :D