PDA

View Full Version : New Ferrari FF

Zico
22nd January 2011, 10:00
Front engined, 6.3 V12... and 4wd!

Beautiful. Fast. Expensive. There are any of a number of adjectives you could use to describe a Ferrari. Radical is one of them, too. But versatile? Hold on to your hats, because the FF is like no other Ferrari we've seen before.

The long-anticipated successor to the 612 Scaglietti takes the stage as Ferrari's flagship grand tourer. It carries four seats like its predecessor, but elongates the roofline for a shooting brake/hatchback body-style that offers plenty of cabin space and – with those rear seats folded down – as much cargo capacity as a small wagon.

It may be the first shooting brake to roll out of Maranello since the legendary 250 Breadvan, but that's not even the extent of the firsts pioneered in the new Ferrari Four. It also carries the company's long-in-the-making part-time all-wheel drive system: the innovation is called 4RM, and while technical details haven't been revealed, it is said to be only half as heavy as a conventional system, helping the front-engined shooting brake keep a 47:53 rearward weight bias. Coupled with a sub-4,000 pound curb weight (some 110 pounds less than the 612), the HELE stop-start system previewed in the California concept from the Paris show also helps keep emissions and fuel consumption down.

Of course nobody buys a Ferrari for its environmental credentials, so here's the info you've been waiting for: 0-62 in 3.7 seconds (a third quicker than the 612) and a top speed of 208 mph (about nine mph faster than the 612). Credit that bit to the all-new, direct-injection, 6.3-liter V12 and its 651 horsepower and 504 lb-ft of torque, which you can read about – together with the other technical details – in the press release after the jump. Ferrari's also launched a dedicated microsite for the new flagship.

Very unonventional for a Ferrari, not beautiful but I really like it!

Pics and vid here.. http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/262519/fourwheeldrive_ferrari_ff_supercar_video_and_pictu res.html

Captain VXR
22nd January 2011, 19:49
Looks pretty good to me, and I will say that 4wd is good for a GT before the fanbois/purists kick off - its designed to cross continents, not spend its life obliterating race circuits and back roads in a haze of tyre smoke

306 Cosworth
22nd January 2011, 19:58
Looks a bit like the old BMW M Coupe from the late 90s early 00s

Sonic
22nd January 2011, 21:37
Looks a bit like the old BMW M Coupe from the late 90s early 00s

Twas my first thought too.

It's certainly challenging the accepted Ferrari norm.

Bob Riebe
23rd January 2011, 08:26
Four wheel drive is pointless, unless one drives in snow, or goes off-road. It will do nothing but make pathetic fuel mileage even worse.

Tazio
23rd January 2011, 13:58
If you want to buy an Italian sport car with four wheel drive buy a Lamborghini. Since Audi/VW took over they have produced a slug of them.
As nice as this car is (and I think it's very impressive), I can't help but thinking this is just to have one because Lamborghini has them.
Ferruccio, and Enzo never did like each other and I'm sure they are still punching it out in hell.
Enzo will take a short break while he turns over in his grave a couple times ;)

christophulus
23rd January 2011, 14:52
I like it. The 458's a good looking car too, big improvement (imo) from Ferrari in the looks department.

Daniel
23rd January 2011, 20:15
4wd makes sense imho

airshifter
23rd January 2011, 21:04
I know it's a Ferrari, but that car is so ugly it makes the Porsche Panamera look really good. :)

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2011, 16:20
I would take one. A Ferrari one can drive all year around. Not that I advocate driving cars in snow storms that are worth as much as a house, but in Canada, weather can do weird things. To have a supercar one could drive all year around with that v12 sound isn't a bad deal at all.

I don't think of this car really as ugly. The video shows the car with masking on the nose and tail making it ugly, but the still photo's are not that bad at all.

Bob Riebe
25th January 2011, 16:40
I would take one. A Ferrari one can drive all year around. Not that I advocate driving cars in snow storms that are worth as much as a house, but in Canada, weather can do weird things. To have a supercar one could drive all year around with that v12 sound isn't a bad deal at all.

I don't think of this car really as ugly. The video shows the car with masking on the nose and tail making it ugly, but the still photo's are not that bad at all.I hope it looks more like an illustration I saw in a U.S. car magazine.
Although, from what I have seen, rather than the best of both worlds, GT tourer and station wagaon, it is a hackneyed design trying not to be usefull.

29th January 2011, 05:40
Actually Ferrari is a wonderful car. it s every model have in a different styles. The Ferrari FF is also have a nice car. Its different but good.

Tazio
29th January 2011, 14:55
I think this would be my choice in the all wheel drive arena :s mokin:

http://www.edmunds.com/lamborghini/murcielago/2009/

LP640

•6.5L V12 engine
•Manual transmission
•Up to 9 cty/14 hwy mpg
•All-wheel drive
•Traction control
•Navigation System (Optional)

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2008/Lamborghini/2008.lamborghini.murcielago.20237764-E.jpg