PDA

View Full Version : How's the water?

BrownDog
21st January 2011, 12:30
Been a VERY long time since I been round these parts but I still see some familiar names!

Can't wait for the season to begin and hoping someone besides JJ wins the championship because I don't think I can go thru another year listening to my daughter brag about the 48!! So who is going to un-seat JJ this year?

Mark
21st January 2011, 12:33
Emails worked then, always good to see old faces back! :cool:

BrownDog
21st January 2011, 13:37
You may regret getting me back here!! LOL Thanks for the email. Funny thing, I was just thinking about this place the other day and then the message from you just seemed like a sign it was time to check in.

Sparky1329
21st January 2011, 15:18
And it's great to see you here, BD! :)

BrownDog
21st January 2011, 17:54
Hey Sparky!!!

slorydn1
21st January 2011, 19:54
Been a VERY long time since I been round these parts but I still see some familiar names!

Can't wait for the season to begin and hoping someone besides JJ wins the championship because I don't think I can go thru another year listening to my daughter brag about the 48!! So who is going to un-seat JJ this year?

BROWNDOG'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :kiss:

This calls for a celebration!!! :beer: :beer: :beer:

cjent
21st January 2011, 22:02
The email got me back to this forum.. Now I need to pay attention!!

BrownDog
21st January 2011, 22:38
Hi slorydn1! Any excuse to celebrate works for me! :beer:

BrownDog
21st January 2011, 22:40
So how about Muggle Not and Stan? Are they still around? I saw Lee Roy is about - can't wait to say howdy to him! MD24 is still around - I think I owe him a run for his money on Pick Em's. :D

Sparky1329
21st January 2011, 22:40
Don't you dare celebrate without me.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Sparky1329
21st January 2011, 22:44
So how about Muggle Not and Stan? Are they still around? I saw Lee Roy is about - can't wait to say howdy to him! MD24 is still around - I think I owe him a run for his money on Pick Em's. :D

I was going to ask if anybody has seen muggles anywhere. He hasn't posted here since July.

I haven't seen Stan anywhere either. He had a FB page but it disappeared.

BrownDog
21st January 2011, 23:26
Don't you dare celebrate without me.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Celbrate w/o you? I wouldn't dare!!

slorydn1
22nd January 2011, 00:58

Muggle Not comes and goes, alot like I have over the years, until I inherited the mod slot from Stan...

Stan, I don't know what happend to him. He was having some medical issues, and he asked me if I would take over the manual pickems for him. Then I volunteered to help him with the Automated pickems and Mark had to show me how. The last time I heard from Stan was when he made his picks for the Las Vegas race last March then POOF he disappeared. I sent him many PM's all have been unanswered, and all of his "side sites" are either gone, or unupdated. I fear the worst, unfortunately :(

MD24 is still around, other than doing the Truck pickems he doesn't check in much. And now he has given those up too.

Fred Bassett has been unbanned and had been around occasionally, but he stopped coming around as of late.

Damg75 checks in for the Cup pickem and thats about it.

Cindy doesn't come around here anymore :( She is one of my facebook contacts, BUT, my computer crahed hard last year and I can't get back into facebook because I cant remember my password...

MD24
22nd January 2011, 04:29
MD24 is still around, other than doing the Truck pickems he doesn't check in much. And now he has given those up too.

I just got back from vacation and I've been training hard to get back my nascar pickem title.

I was surprised to see you wanted to run the 2011 Truck pickems with just a few members playing, I didn't think it was worth it.

Nice to see you back BrownDog

MD24
22nd January 2011, 04:32
The email got me back to this forum.. Now I need to pay attention!!

Nice to see you back, but who the heck are you????

slorydn1
22nd January 2011, 04:39
I just got back from vacation and I've been training hard to get back my nascar pickem title.

I was surprised to see you wanted to run the 2011 Truck pickems with just a few members playing, I didn't think it was worth it.

Nice to see you back BrownDog

It's still worth it....Damn, training? You smoked my tail in the truck pickem and its only gonna get harder with our "easy picks" running less races what with the new points rules and all that...shoot, I better get some training in, soon!!!! :beer: :beer:

BrownDog
22nd January 2011, 12:55
That is sad about Stan slorydn1 :( I'm in touch with Cindy and that mutt Freddy. I already told Cindy she needs to get her butt over here.

Off I go for the day - the snow and my machine are calling my name so time to go tear up some trails!

Cindy_AL
22nd January 2011, 15:22
There will be NO celebrating without me!!! :wave: :beer:

Good to see everyone again! TJ... my buddy..... glad we are able to somewhat keep in touch on fb. (along with Freddie) Hope everything is going well with you guys, Barb & MD!
And Slo .... :kiss: Gotta say theres a song that reminds me of you everytime I hear it. LOL

Doesnt sound good about Stan. :( Sure do hate that.

I have replaced the pickems with Farmville...LMAO! Thinking I need some intervention. :mark:

Have a great day, everyone!

slorydn1
22nd January 2011, 15:34
There will be NO celebrating without me!!!

And Slo .... :kiss: Gotta say theres a song that reminds me of you everytime I hear it. LOL

Would that be a certain song from the '70's by Foghat, called Slow Ride?

That is my ALL TIME favorite song :up:

It's always good to hear from you :kiss: :wave:

Cindy_AL
22nd January 2011, 15:37

That is my ALL TIME favorite song :up:

It's always good to hear from you :kiss: :wave:

Yep, thats it! ;)

I love listening to the classic rock stations on XM Radio so I hear it quite often.

Hope your family is doing well. :)

Sparky1329
22nd January 2011, 15:43
There will be NO celebrating without me!!! :wave: :beer:

Woo hoo! Partay! :beer:

slorydn1
22nd January 2011, 16:21
Yep, thats it! ;)

I love listening to the classic rock stations on XM Radio so I hear it quite often.

Hope your family is doing well. :)

That's cool :up: Yep we are all doing ok-I am getting old tho, LOL...My oldest 2 are both in the Army now (the oldest in the NC National Guard, the middle one is one active duty stationed at Ft Bliss Texas) and the baby is 11-I was holding him in my lap trying to stick the pacifier back in his mouth the evening I first registered on this site!

Slo2 finally got her Batchelors degree and is working on a second 1 -there's no doubt I married UP.

Damg75 is wearing me out right now about the upcoming Packers-Bears NFC Championship game, and I am fixin to support my drivers new sponsor here in a little bit :beer:

How y'all doin down in 'Bama? ESPN keeps showin that Roll Tide commercial and I think of you everytime it comes on-roll tide, LOL

tstran17_88
22nd January 2011, 19:17

Damn, you guys are old! :p :

BrownDog
23rd January 2011, 17:48
Hey tstran! Another friendly face!

Damn, you guys are old! :p :

I prefer to think of it as experienced!!

slorydn1
23rd January 2011, 18:33
Hey tstran! Another friendly face!

I prefer to think of it as experienced!!

Exactly ;)

Sparky1329
26th January 2011, 05:32
I think NASCAR's popularity slide is due to a combination of issues. First and foremost is the quality of the product. We are watching a manufactured show that consists of Frankenstein clone cars competing within the confines of a nonsensical manufactured points system. Racing is not the NFL and it doesn't need a "playoff". While I agree that the trendy fad of NASCAR petered out, The "Chase" worked to chase away the half-hearted fans who were already teetering on the fence. Brian Farce (thanks BD) needs to admit that he messed up and dump The Chase.

The cars that resemble nothing that's driven on the street or on display in showrooms did nothing to improve fan loyalty. Prior to the implementation of the "flying brick", so aptly characterized by Tony Stewart, a fan could own a car that looked similar to the cars on the track. The fans can't relate to them in their own lives. They are arguably safer and seem to be more forgiving under racing conditions but, until they were silenced by NASCAR, several drivers were quite negative about their handling.

Some of the races are too long. When the racing isn't good nobody wants to watch a lot of it. The broadcasts are out of control. Networks have plenty of opportunities to provide human interest segments in programming other than the pre-race broadcast. A broadcast should start fifteen minutes before the green flag and end fifteen minutes after checkers. That's all most race fans want to see. SPEED channel provides two programs, Race Day and Victory Lane, if fans want more information and silliness from Kenny Wallace. Races need to be broadcast on network TV rather than cable. Believe it or not, many fans don't have, can't afford or just plain don't want to pay exhorbitant cable rates to watch races. Even the NFL knows that.

Certainly the economy has had an impact on racing to a certain extent but it's not entirely to blame. My daughter, a marketing professional as well as a NASCAR fan, did the research. She told me there are two things people will still spend their money on in spite of the sluggish economy. One is restaurant meals and the other is sports attendance. Based on attendance numbers at NASCAR races it's obviously not the sport they are attending.

Mark
26th January 2011, 09:13
Interesting points. I do agree that a racing series needs to have cars which look nothing like those you'd find on the road - like F1, or have cars which whilst aren't the same as those you'd buy yourself, as least resemble them, like Touring Cars and Rallying.

Personally I think NASCAR should go down the route of having cars nothing like the road going equivalents, then at least it's clear! Touring cars on ovals isn't what NASCAR is all about.