PDA

View Full Version : Argh, moving to new appartment.

janneppi
17th January 2011, 18:10
nngh. I moved in to a new appartment yesterday, man what a pain in the ass, despite my best efforts to keep the load as small and as possible. At the moment I have half a room that is fully functioning part of a living quarter, rest is full of stuff waiting to be tossed in to a cabinet.

And special thanks to A.F.F for his advice on some areas in Vantaa. (Alltought i didn't move to Korso as he suggested. :) )

gloomyDAY
17th January 2011, 20:42
Need a roommate?

cali
17th January 2011, 23:04
Need a roommate?
It's too cold for you here :D

schmenke
17th January 2011, 23:08
Just curious Janneppi, is every apartment building equipped with a sauna?
I can't imagine you nuts living without one :p :

gloomyDAY
18th January 2011, 02:27
It's too cold for you here :D You're probably right. It was about 40*F (4*C) a few weeks ago and I was whining. God, I just hope I don't get stationed somewhere cold!

Alexamateo
18th January 2011, 04:23
You're probably right. It was about 40*F (4*C) a few weeks ago and I was whining. God, I just hope I don't get stationed somewhere cold!

gloomyDAY, please report to Fort Wainwright! :D

Eki
18th January 2011, 05:37
Those newer than 20 years usually have an own sauna in every apartment and the older ones have saunas for the whole building, where the residents bathe in turns.

Eki
18th January 2011, 05:42
You're probably right. It was about 40*F (4*C) a few weeks ago and I was whining. God, I just hope I don't get stationed somewhere cold!
Greenland

janneppi
18th January 2011, 07:49
The one I live doesn't have one, I'd have to use the one in the next building. My brother lives just few hundred meters from me and he has a sauna turn every fridays so i might use that one. i did think about one flat which had a sauna in the appartment itself but it was a bit too pricey for the amount of space it had.

Besides, electric saunas are for losers anyway. ;)

pino
18th January 2011, 09:50
Make sure you have a nice and big kitchen or I won't visit you :p :

Daniel
18th January 2011, 11:19
Make sure you have a nice and big kitchen or I won't visit you :p :

Make sure you have a small kitchen or else Pino will visit you! :p

schmenke
18th January 2011, 14:20
...Besides, electric saunas are for losers anyway. ;)

True, but it's better than nothing :mark:

janneppi
18th January 2011, 18:48
Update on the misery:
I now have a functioning lightbulb in the bedroom, and four squaremeters of free room on the living room floor. :D

Mark in Oshawa
18th January 2011, 19:22

Maybe you will get an exchange billet with the Canadian Armed Forces. I hear CFB Alert has the odd American officer up for a turn....lol...FYI, Alert is about as far north as you can be and still be on land!

A.F.F.
20th January 2011, 09:34
nngh. I moved in to a new appartment yesterday, man what a pain in the ass, despite my best efforts to keep the load as small and as possible. At the moment I have half a room that is fully functioning part of a living quarter, rest is full of stuff waiting to be tossed in to a cabinet.

And special thanks to A.F.F for his advice on some areas in Vantaa. (Alltought i didn't move to Korso as he suggested. :) )

No problemo, from where did you find your place?

Korso my friend is a state of mind. :p :

janneppi
20th January 2011, 17:23
No problemo, from where did you find your place?

The area is Pähkinärinne, it's a 46 m^2 two room thingy. Sad to say, but looking at the kitchen I'm not seeing pino here any time soon. ;)

Korso my friend is a state of mind. :p :
Bit like Hervanta used to be. :)

J4MIE
20th January 2011, 22:10
Janneppi, I feel your pain. I hate nothing worse than having to move places and realise how much junk I keep piling up :( Hopefully you get sorted out soon :)

DexDexter
21st January 2011, 07:19

The funny thing is when I travel abroad I always feel cold (except in the summer in Southern Europe) since houses and heating in most European countries are nothing like here in Finland. Honestly, a British house in a summer night feels ten times colder than my apartment when the outside temperature is -20 celsius.

Mark
21st January 2011, 12:04
The funny thing is when I travel abroad I always feel cold (except in the summer in Southern Europe) since houses and heating in most European countries are nothing like here in Finland. Honestly, a British house in a summer night feels ten times colder than my apartment when the outside temperature is -20 celsius.

I think that's probably less to do with heating and more with insulation. Traditionally British houses and buildings have been quite poor in that regard, instead relying on heating to keep them warm. It's slowly changing due to government grants etc but there's a long way to go!

A properly built building should need very little heating at all.

janneppi
23rd January 2011, 12:56
Update on the misery :D
Only one box on the floor to carry away, new lamps installed. Now all I need is a couch and kitchen table and chairs. Ikea here I come, again. ;)

Daniel
23rd January 2011, 13:35
Update on the misery :D
Only one box on the floor to carry away, new lamps installed. Now all I need is a couch and kitchen table and chairs. Ikea here I come, again. ;)

Take AFF's wife, she loves Ikea :p

GridGirl
23rd January 2011, 16:54
I had the misfortune of going to Ikea today. It's only when I go to Ikea that I realise how much I hate Ikea. Dont do it. Go somewhere nice and wait for delivery. :)

janneppi
24th January 2011, 18:40
Ikea trip was almost pleasant, I bought 4 Skickebö-chairs for the kitchen table and tested a couch I might get from there. :D

Daniel
24th January 2011, 19:37
Ikea trip was almost pleasant, I bought 4 Skickebö-chairs for the kitchen table and tested a couch I might get from there. :D

Not a fan of the Ikea Rekdal bed? :p

http://img01.lachschon.de/images/DonPromillo-1074468479.jpg

Always makes me chuckle :D

DexDexter
25th January 2011, 08:13
Talking about Ikea, how do you guys in other countries, especially in other continents see Ikea? Over here people don't like to mention that they bought something from there, cause of its cheap image and the perceived bad quality, even if that's not always true.

Mark
25th January 2011, 08:22
Talking about Ikea, how do you guys in other countries, especially in other continents see Ikea? Over here people don't like to mention that they bought something from there, cause of its cheap image and the perceived bad quality, even if that's not always true.

It's not seen as bad quality, but it's not top of the range either. I guess it's seen as where you get reasonably priced, reasonable quality stuff from. It fills a specific hole in the market as the likes of MFI used to charge high prices for low quality goods and IKEA basically put them out of business by making stuff cheaper and better quality! There still isn't a direct competitor to IKEA in the UK, you either go to furniture shops which charge 10x the amount for the same item, or, well, there isn't really anything else!

GridGirl
25th January 2011, 09:11
All of the bookcases in our study are from Ikea as it was much cheaper than buying wall mounted shelving. All the book cases immediately got filled with books and dvd's and you can hardly see them. Plus our study is normally a disaster zone anyway so I wasn't really that bothered. I would never ever ever allow Ikea furniture in any other room of our house though.

Dave B
25th January 2011, 10:10
We used to have a bit of Ikea stuff, but in all honesty if you're going to make flatpack you might as well buy the wood and make it yourself so at least you get the exact right size you want. We've got an old house with chimney breasts, so there are all manner of alcoves and nooks where I've made cupboards and shelving units which are an exact fit and for less money than Ikea.

Bless the Daily Mail, they only yesterday ran an article on what most of us have known for years: that Ikea deliberately design their stores to maximise the time customers spend inside. Who knew?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1349831/Ikea-design-stores-mazes-stop-shoppers-leaving-end-buying-more.html

schmenke
25th January 2011, 15:25
Ikea's o.k. for simple bookshelves or storage units, but I find their items not very sturdy as they're invariably constructed out of particle-board or MDF, not solid wood. I try to avoid Ikea for furniture that will see daily use or wear.

Mark
26th January 2011, 08:51
Bless the Daily Mail, they only yesterday ran an article on what most of us have known for years: that Ikea deliberately design their stores to maximise the time customers spend inside. Who knew?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1349831/Ikea-design-stores-mazes-stop-shoppers-leaving-end-buying-more.html

Did they also include an article about the religious beliefs of the pontiff?!

It's one of the reasons I don't much like IKEA stores, that they have the concept that you have to walk all the way around all the products. Much prefer the likes of Homebase, as a shop, but prefer IKEA's products!

J4MIE
26th January 2011, 17:44
We have quite a lot of Ikea stuff and had a new kitchen installed last summer, mainly due to lack of competition I gues but I think their stuff is quite nice, I do love scandinavian stuff.

My dad has spent the last couple of weeks putting more insulation in the roof of our house to try and cut down on our gas bills - as we live in the countryside there is no mains gas, and today were told that for two bottles of gas it is £128 which will likely last around two weeks...... rediculous :(

Mark
26th January 2011, 17:52
Ouch! Now that is crazy! We pay around £130 month for gas and electricity. And we use a lot of gas because our downstairs radiators are in a crap place.

janneppi
25th February 2011, 17:15
Last update. :D
I got me a couch from sweden today. 65 minutes and two beers later the Gyllenbögel soffan sits comfortably in the living room. I cant sit in it because I need to get a shover first. Bloody hard work to assemble the beast.

BleAivano
25th February 2011, 17:42
I think that's probably less to do with heating and more with insulation. Traditionally British houses and buildings have been quite poor in that regard, instead relying on heating to keep them warm. It's slowly changing due to government grants etc but there's a long way to go!

A properly built building should need very little heating at all.

true, also i think in Finland as in Sweden most small houses (like this one (http://www.annonsera.se/images/00039/0/centralt-bel%C3%A4gen-villa-tierp.jpg)) are made by wood while in Britain the similar size houses usually are made by stone or brick and particular stone houses can get very cold since the construction material in it self gets much colder.

Thick wooden walls filled with mineral wool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_wool) will keep your house warm even during very cold weather.

A.F.F.
1st March 2011, 22:35
Take AFF's wife, she loves Ikea :p

Please Janneppi.... take her to Ikea !!

Daniel
1st March 2011, 22:44
Do you want him to bring her back? :p

A.F.F.
1st March 2011, 23:26
It's Ikea where he is taking her. She won't come back, or anywhere for that matter ;)

janneppi
4th March 2011, 18:57
Please Janneppi.... take her to Ikea !!
Sorry mate, no need to go to Ikea for a while, the next bigger purchase is propably a mountain bike, so if she's interested in All-mountain hardtails and can get a good deal on one, give me a shout. :D

ioan
4th March 2011, 22:02

:D

Since years I enter Ikea through the checkout gate, look for an Info sport to find the stuff I want to buy, pick the stuff, pay it and leave. Takes about 15-20 minutes. If you do the tour it rarely takes under 2 hours. :\

ioan
4th March 2011, 22:07
It's one of the reasons I don't much like IKEA stores, that they have the concept that you have to walk all the way around all the products. Much prefer the likes of Homebase, as a shop, but prefer IKEA's products!

:D

Since years I enter Ikea through the checkout gate, look for an Info spot to find shelves where is stored the stuff I want to buy, pick the stuff, pay it and leave. Takes about 15-20 minutes. If you do the tour it rarely takes under 2 hours. :\

slinkster
9th March 2011, 18:56
I sympathise! My partner and I just bought our first house before christmas and we moved in on the 21st of January... about the same time as you looking at the dates on this thread. We are FAAAAR from finished decorating and kitting ourselves out and we wouldn't be nearly as furnished if it wasn't for IKEA.. cheap and cheerful. My bloke hates the place... purely because of it's size and how busy it is but now we've signed up for their loyalty card thing and get free coffee I can just about persuade him to go.

Anyway, if that was your place in the photo at the start of the thread... you did a great job getting it to look like that right away!

How's the house coming along now??

Eki
9th March 2011, 20:18
I sympathise! My partner and I just bought our first house before christmas and we moved in on the 21st of January... about the same time as you looking at the dates on this thread. We are FAAAAR from finished decorating and kitting ourselves out and we wouldn't be nearly as furnished if it wasn't for IKEA.. cheap and cheerful. My bloke hates the place... purely because of it's size and how busy it is but now we've signed up for their loyalty card thing and get free coffee I can just about persuade him to go.

Anyway, if that was your place in the photo at the start of the thread... you did a great job getting it to look like that right away!

The photo at the start of the thread is an ad by Google, but Janneppi probably wishes it was his pad.

janneppi
10th March 2011, 17:34
I sympathise! My partner and I just bought our first house before christmas and we moved in on the 21st of January... about the same time as you looking at the dates on this thread. We are FAAAAR from finished decorating and kitting ourselves out and we wouldn't be nearly as furnished if it wasn't for IKEA..

To be honest, me, a single male probably has a slightly differenty view when my appartment is ready and not needing more pillows. ;)

My brother's Wife didn't quite get why I'd rather have my 22" monitor on the kitchen table instead the bed room. Same could be said about my bicycle which is right next to me as I type. :D

Daniel
10th March 2011, 18:16
To be honest, me, a single male probably has a slightly differenty view when my appartment is ready and not needing more pillows. ;)

My brother's Wife didn't quite get why I'd rather have my 22" monitor on the kitchen table instead the bed room. Same could be said about my bicycle which is right next to me as I type. :D

Women..... Caroline doesn't understand why there's a stack of 4 alloy wheels with tyres on them in the kitchen. I mean how the **** are you meant to wax a wheel if it's wet? :confused: :p

ioan
10th March 2011, 18:51
Women..... Caroline doesn't understand why there's a stack of 4 alloy wheels with tyres on them in the kitchen. I mean how the **** are you meant to wax a wheel if it's wet? :confused: :p

Why the **** do you need to wax a wheel?!

GridGirl
10th March 2011, 19:22

Wheels on my nice ash wooden table? Hell no! If you want to do stuff like that in my household you shall hereforth be banished to the garage. An electric heater may be provided if necessary. Caroline needs to start dishing out a bit of tough love. :p

Daniel
10th March 2011, 19:56
Why the **** do you need to wax a wheel?!

Because they're easier to clean then :p

Daniel
10th March 2011, 19:57
Wheels on my nice ash wooden table? Hell no! If you want to do stuff like that in my household you shall hereforth be banished to the garage. An electric heater may be provided if necessary. Caroline needs to start dishing out a bit of tough love. :p

Oh I wouldn't put them on a table! That's just silly :p

Mark
11th March 2011, 09:47
No you'd put them on the sofa :p