PDA

View Full Version : Digital reality: F1 simulators revealed

Zico
16th January 2011, 20:15
Found this quite interesting, thought some of you may want to read it..

"In Formula 1, there are essentially two types of interactive simulator (sometimes affectionately known as human-in-the-loop) - static and motion-based. A static simulator uses the monocoque tub of a Formula 1 car, which has been mounted to the floor in front of a large, spherical, rear-projected screen. The tub contains a CAN-bus interface, which allows steering wheel and dash electronics to inter-operate with their real world counterparts. Additionally, whilst the steering rack itself consists of motors that provide variable resistance and force feedback (enough to potentially injure an unsuspecting driver), the steering rates and mappings are themselves interchangeable with actual cars... "

cont

Clicky- http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/technology/495544/digital-reality-f1-simulators-revealed.html

Mark
16th January 2011, 20:19
Although it's useful for learning tracks and setup it can't simulate the G Forces from a real car.

Azumanga Davo
17th January 2011, 08:03
Although it's useful for learning tracks and setup it can't simulate the G Forces from a real car.

Too true, but any real world data in proper testing and races can improve the simulation along the way.

CaptainRaiden
17th January 2011, 08:07
Very interesting read. I have always wondered how much closer they have gotten to realistically simulating effects of jumping kerbs, camber changes, worn tyres, different fuel loads etc. Maybe one day we could buy an F1 simulator in a video game shop and then play online. :D That's probably as close as we'll ever get to the experience of driving an F1 car.

Of course it can't, I don't think any F1 simulator would be able to for a long time coming, and this is from a complete layman perspective. Maybe there are some experts on this forum who know more. I'm not sure about this, but I think some fighter jet simulator was able to simulate 4 Gs, but that's still quite a bit lesser than the 10-11 Gs that a fighter pilot normally goes through, and the 6 Gs you get in a Formula 1 car. Besides I guess it'd be unhealthy for them to experience g-force while learning tracks.

Mark
17th January 2011, 08:21
The laws of physics get in the way. You can experience G from two, and only two sources. The first being gravity and the second acceleration. Since artificial gravity hasn't been invented, that leaves acceleration, and the only practical way you can simulate that is on the track itself!

CaptainRaiden
17th January 2011, 09:24
The laws of physics get in the way. You can experience G from two, and only two sources. The first being gravity and the second acceleration. Since artificial gravity hasn't been invented, that leaves acceleration, and the only practical way you can simulate that is on the track itself!

Indeed, and probably this is why they won't ever be able to simulate g-forces in an F1 simulator. The Desdemona flight simulator can simulate continuous g-forces of up to 3 Gs I suppose. Not quite sure if they can ever translate this into simulating an F1 car accurately, but probably this billion dollar simulator can provide some answers. I guess it would be cheaper to rent a GP2 car. :p

YyMQlALrX80

AndyL
17th January 2011, 14:06
I recall reading that someone's simulator (probably McLaren's) employs cables connected to the driver's helmet, to simulate the effect of cornering forces on the driver's neck.

Mark
17th January 2011, 14:50
PICKEM:67285,Mark,L Hamilton,J Button,M Schumacher,N Rosberg,M Webber,R Barrichello,V Petrov,V Liuzzi

wedge
17th January 2011, 15:36
All the top teams use simulators on rigs whereas Williams are still stuck in the Dark Ages.

oM_jWvsZEXU

Very interesting read. I have always wondered how much closer they have gotten to realistically simulating effects of jumping kerbs, camber changes, worn tyres, different fuel loads etc. Maybe one day we could buy an F1 simulator in a video game shop and then play online. :D That's probably as close as we'll ever get to the experience of driving an F1 car.

Of course it can't, I don't think any F1 simulator would be able to for a long time coming, and this is from a complete layman perspective. Maybe there are some experts on this forum who know more. I'm not sure about this, but I think some fighter jet simulator was able to simulate 4 Gs, but that's still quite a bit lesser than the 10-11 Gs that a fighter pilot normally goes through, and the 6 Gs you get in a Formula 1 car. Besides I guess it'd be unhealthy for them to experience g-force while learning tracks.

I've always wondered what Geoff Crammond is up to these days. He has his own projects and still follows the sport from time to time and more so these days. Still think he's secretly hired by McLaren :D

schmenke
17th January 2011, 16:21
The real limitation is that the simulators can't reproduce the effect of G-loading on the fluids in the car; lubricants, hydraulic fluids, fuel, etc. are all affected.

nigelred5
18th January 2011, 15:21
hmmm, wouldn't it be cheaper to just allow testing? just sayin....

N4D13
18th January 2011, 20:41
hmmm, wouldn't it be cheaper to just allow testing? just sayin....
I don't think so. Even with unlimited track testing, teams would also have a simulator, as it would allow them to do lots of set-up work. I don't know how they work, but a simulator might also be used to try the effect of new parts before actually manufacturing them.