PDA

View Full Version : Massa: Too many buttons on the steering wheel

CaptainRaiden
13th January 2011, 19:21
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/250428/too-many-buttons-on-steering-wheel-says-massa/

Ferrari's Felipe Massa has stated that the introduction of this year’s adjustable rear wing will mean that drivers are now overworked in their cockpits, with the Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) also making a return to the sport this year.

From now on, any driver within one second of the car in front will be able to adjust the position of his rear wing in order to remove downforce and therefore enjoy a greater top speed and higher chance of overtaking on straights. Massa, however, is the first to point out a negative upshot.

“It's true that we have so many things to do on the steering wheel and it's also true that we do still need to drive the car,” the Brazilian commented at this weekend’s pre-season Wrooom skiing event at Madonna di Campiglio, north-east Italy.

“We’re able to cope with it, for sure, but from the driver’s point of view it's not fantastic.

"Everywhere you go you have three or four buttons to press, especially with KERS - it's going to be too much, definitely, but that’s how it is and we need to adapt very quickly.”

Is he already making excuses before the season even starts? Come on Massa, man up and learn to adapt and focus on getting accustomed to them better than Alonso. How else are you going to beat the cry baby this year?

JRodrigues
13th January 2011, 20:11
He's always been a cry-baby, but he's learning well from the Cry-Baby Master :D

Sonic
13th January 2011, 20:14
He's becoming the new Ralf. Whine. Moan. Complain. B!tch. Etc.

Come on, it's the same for everyone. Or do you want to be dumped down to Virgin where you won't have to worry about pesky KERS.

TMorel
13th January 2011, 21:29
Whine Whine Whine.

Not Massa, the fans. We want to see proper down to earth racing not gimmicks but then when someone who's actually doing it replies to a question we suddenly want to bash them for pointing out that they're just glorified playstation controllers now.

Josti
13th January 2011, 22:07
Why is this whining? Should he lie then? Didn't he say he has to adapt?

Btw I agree with him, those steering wheels are getting ridiculous.

Zico
13th January 2011, 22:47
Why is this whining? Should he lie then? Didn't he say he has to adapt?

Btw I agree with him, those steering wheels are getting ridiculous.

Totally agree..

Rollo
13th January 2011, 23:07
http://images.imagestate.com/Watermark/1634252.jpg

This is how many buttons you really need on a steering wheel.

I certainly agree that there's too many things on a steering wheel now. My 206 has indicator stalks, variable control for the wipers, radio controls, central display controls, fuel consumption display settings... it's madness.

When Mark Webber ran into the back of Heikki Kovalainen's Lotus last year, I'm wondering if he might have been distracted by the myriad of displays on his steering wheel, because his excuse was pathetic.

JackSparrow
13th January 2011, 23:55
I see Suttil will adopt well since he plays video games the most!!
Maybe Massa should hit the PS3 in a hurry!

truefan72
14th January 2011, 01:31
In this case I have to agree with Massa

gloomyDAY
14th January 2011, 02:53
Whine Whine Whine.

Not Massa, the fans. We want to see proper down to earth racing not gimmicks but then when someone who's actually doing it replies to a question we suddenly want to bash them for pointing out that they're just glorified playstation controllers now.Exactly! There should be a limit to the number of buttons on the steering wheel. Aside from the gimmicks, all those buttons can make racing more unsafe. How can the driver focus on driving while poking around a load of buttons at the same time?

tmx
14th January 2011, 06:27
Well rename the F1 steering wheel so it would fit the description of the device. How about "keyboard steering clutch gearing wing-adjuster display controlpad".

CaptainRaiden
14th January 2011, 07:10
Whine Whine Whine.

Not Massa, the fans. We want to see proper down to earth racing not gimmicks but then when someone who's actually doing it replies to a question we suddenly want to bash them for pointing out that they're just glorified playstation controllers now.

I'm sure everybody would just love and prefer to drive karts and lower formula cars, but this is how modern F1 is and they have to deal with it. I don't see the rest of the 23 drivers complaining. Besides, KERS will be used only on the straights, and so would be the adjustable rear wing. They don't have to worry about them in corners, and I'm sure they're capable drivers and won't just randomly push it wherever and cause accidents.

KERS was there on 2009 cars and there weren't any problems. And it's just one or maybe two more buttons to adjust the rear wing. If he's already complaining about them, saying "Too many buttons, but well, what to do, I'll have to adapt," then that sounds like a little defeatist attitude to me.

Donney
14th January 2011, 08:04
I agree with Massa, and I'm sure he'll adapt.

Kevincal
14th January 2011, 08:18
Give them a steering wheel with no buttons and a stick shift and clutch please :) And oh ya a 1000 hp engine too ;)

555-04Q2
14th January 2011, 09:59
Massa is right. Remember when Schumacher spun off at the Nurburgring while leading the race, recovered and won? He told the reporters afterwards it was because he was playing with the buttons on his steering wheel!

Mia 01
14th January 2011, 11:23
Felipe is right, but he has to play the game. These multitaske challenge will only hamper him and hamilton.

nigelred5
14th January 2011, 11:44
Give them a steering wheel with no buttons and a stick shift and clutch please :) And oh ya a 1000 hp engine too ;)

AMEN!

I'd LOVE to see them simply go back to an overpowered car with a steering wheel, clutch and a brake pedal. The rev limiter can save the engine in the event of a missed shift. With engines that essentially operated in the 17-20K RPM range, Then heaping on KERS, keeping up with the shifts might be an issue. With much lower revving turbo engines on the horizon, a ban on the semi automatics would be lovely.

With the distracted driving laws now in effect, It's already illegal to use hand held cell phones and text messaging in cars in my state. I could lump GPS units right in there as well especially the OEM in dash units. I'm wondering when our nanny state is going to start saying the car itself is a distraction.

I hate playing most of the games my kids play on PS3 and Xbox because of the controls. Thank god for the steering wheel and pedals we have for the racing games. Now I just have to get a decent aviation style set of controls.

Sonic
14th January 2011, 12:29

Now then he might have a leg to stand on suggesting he's overworked. Thousands of manual gear changes a race round somewhere like Monaco and then, yeah, perhaps he's got a point.

SGWilko
14th January 2011, 13:13
http://images.imagestate.com/Watermark/1634252.jpg

This is how many buttons you really need on a steering wheel.

I certainly agree that there's too many things on a steering wheel now. My 206 has indicator stalks, variable control for the wipers, radio controls, central display controls, fuel consumption display settings... it's madness.

When Mark Webber ran into the back of Heikki Kovalainen's Lotus last year, I'm wondering if he might have been distracted by the myriad of displays on his steering wheel, because his excuse was pathetic.

Hmmmm - did they have the ability to change the weather with that button?

Mia 01
14th January 2011, 13:52
Hmm, a few buttons at the seering wheel, thoose are grat fun.

Damn, missed the red light at the end of the pitlane. Sorry Kimi.

gloomyDAY
14th January 2011, 15:53
Hmm, a few buttons at the seering wheel, thoose are grat fun.

Damn, missed the red light at the end of the pitlane. Sorry Kimi. :laugh:

V12
14th January 2011, 16:36
Drivers used to have to drive around Monaco one-handed in the days of manual transmissions, none complained they were too busy in the cockpit then.

If the more hectic cockpit increases the possibility of driver errors like in the old days drivers could miss a gear etc. then that's only a good thing.

Of course this doesn't have anything to do with my opinion on the adjustable wings which I think are an absolute joke. I'd have nothing against allowing adjustable wings but this thing that you can only use it if you are 2 seconds behind a car and only twice a lap etc. etc. is just BS of the highest order.

Tazio
14th January 2011, 18:19
Drivers used to have to drive around Monaco one-handed in the days of manual transmissions, none complained they were too busy in the cockpit then.

If the more hectic cockpit increases the possibility of driver errors like in the old days drivers could miss a gear etc. then that's only a good thing.

Of course this doesn't have anything to do with my opinion on the adjustable wings which I think are an absolute joke. I'd have nothing against allowing adjustable wings but this thing that you can only use it if you are 2 seconds behind a car and only twice a lap etc. etc. is just BS of the highest order.I concur :dozey:

Sonic
14th January 2011, 18:58

Agreed.

Of course this doesn't have anything to do with my opinion on the adjustable wings which I think are an absolute joke. I'd have nothing against allowing adjustable wings but this thing that you can only use it if you are 2 seconds behind a car and only twice a lap etc. etc. is just BS of the highest order.

Double agreed. I think it was Martin Whitmarsh who was wittering on about how good the ARW was going to be as the can tweak it all season. So that at one track it might just be the last 300m of a straight that it was permitted or far more on another.

PUUUURLEASE! Might as well just have success ballast and be done with it :(

jens
15th January 2011, 15:48
I do not sure there are many drivers, who have never been critized for whining. Is giving an opinion always a whine? And if most F1 drivers are whiners (which they surely are based on the comments by F1 fans), then it surely should apply to elsewhere too. So it means most of the forum also consists of whiners. So my question is - if you don't like whining, why you do it yourself? Whining about whining is also whining. ;) Pot, kettle, black. ;)

jens
15th January 2011, 15:51
He's becoming the new Ralf. Whine. Moan. Complain. B!tch. Etc.

Come on, it's the same for everyone. Or do you want to be dumped down to Virgin where you won't have to worry about pesky KERS.

I do not think there are many drivers, who have not been criticized for whining. Is giving an opinion always a whine? And if most F1 drivers are whiners (which they surely should be based on the comments by F1 fans), then it surely should apply to elsewhere too. So it means most of the forum also consists of whiners. So the question would be - if you don't like whining, why you do it yourself? Whining about whining is also whining. ;) Pot, kettle, black. ;)

Malbec
16th January 2011, 18:29
I don't see the rest of the 23 drivers complaining. Besides, KERS will be used only on the straights, and so would be the adjustable rear wing. They don't have to worry about them in corners, and I'm sure they're capable drivers and won't just randomly push it wherever and cause accidents.

KERS was there on 2009 cars and there weren't any problems. And it's just one or maybe two more buttons to adjust the rear wing. If he's already complaining about them, saying "Too many buttons, but well, what to do, I'll have to adapt," then that sounds like a little defeatist attitude to me.

Quite a few of the other drivers have also commented on the increase in buttons. Rubens in particular described the problems in a recent interview in motorsport. I don't see it as complaining, merely a statement of fact. Complaining would go along the lines of "I hate" or "I wish we didn't have this".

You describe the button pressing in isolation but have you thought when these guys are going to be using both KERS and the rear wing? During overtaking perhaps?

Ari
17th January 2011, 04:10
100% agree with Massa.

I wanna see these guys racing not buggering around with their steering wheel. Flaps, flops, kers, wings..... is this REALLY racing?

CaptainRaiden
17th January 2011, 07:13
Quite a few of the other drivers have also commented on the increase in buttons. Rubens in particular described the problems in a recent interview in motorsport. I don't see it as complaining, merely a statement of fact. Complaining would go along the lines of "I hate" or "I wish we didn't have this".

You describe the button pressing in isolation but have you thought when these guys are going to be using both KERS and the rear wing? During overtaking perhaps?

If you look at the onboard laps of let's say 10 years ago, the buttons on the steering wheel have gradually increased ten fold, yet the majority of the drivers seemed to have adapted to them effortlessly. Are there more accidents happening because of the increase in buttons? No. IMO KERS is just a gimmick in the name of technology, and this adjustable rear wing has all the possibilities of becoming a big FAIL, but these are optional for all teams, and any of the top teams would be foolish not to utilize them, so naturally the drivers HAVE to adapt to them. Also, saying "too much" does sound more like a whinge than an opinion. ;)

Having said that, I can understand where Massa is coming from, as he was almost fatally injured at Hungary in 2009, he would want things simpler, but being negative towards the new changes before the season even starts is not the way to go about it, especially when your seat is in danger at Ferrari. I for one welcome these changes, because it keeps the engineering aspect of F1 alive as long as engineers are allowed to put their own interpretations of these devices in action. Isn't anybody even mildly interested in how each team interprets the new rules? God forbid if they standardize these too.

CaptainRaiden
17th January 2011, 07:21

Yep, agreed 100%. I wonder how the new drivers would cope with manual transmission and a few more buttons thrown into the mix.

I think it's going to be the most magnanimous FAIL of 2010. I don't know what's the point of allowing a device that you can use ONLY if you're within a predetermined amount of seconds behind the car you're trying to overtake. I don't know how they're going to keep track of which car is using it and when. This is gonna open up the pandora's box of idiotic steward decisions and penalties.

Malbec
17th January 2011, 19:20
If you look at the onboard laps of let's say 10 years ago, the buttons on the steering wheel have gradually increased ten fold, yet the majority of the drivers seemed to have adapted to them effortlessly. Are there more accidents happening because of the increase in buttons? No. IMO KERS is just a gimmick in the name of technology, and this adjustable rear wing has all the possibilities of becoming a big FAIL, but these are optional for all teams, and any of the top teams would be foolish not to utilize them, so naturally the drivers HAVE to adapt to them. Also, saying "too much" does sound more like a whinge than an opinion. ;)

Many of the buttons on an F1 car are for functions that are to be adjusted when the driver isn't busy, like engine mapping or differential settings. The KERS and rear wing buttons are going to be used when the driver is going to be concentrating on overtaking.

IMO this is the particular problem. The speed differential between the overtaking and overtaken car at the end of a straight is going to be potentially massive as you may have a car using both KERS and a low drag rear wing coming up behind a car that may already have used up its KERS that lap with a high drag rear wing. On top of that you have the overtaking driver twiddling with buttons at the same time. The scope for a large accident is pretty big.

But a bigger point is, how do you expect drivers to describe challenges they face without it being called whinging? If one of your friends tells you that an exam is hard or a particular colleague is tough to work with do you automatically call him a whinger? Personally I find it extremely interesting when drivers talk about new regulations and the effect it will have on their driving.

Firstgear
17th January 2011, 20:46
Yup - get rid of the buttons and use voice control, like in the old Inspector Gadget cartoon.

"Go - Go Gadget KERS"

maxter
17th January 2011, 21:50
But a bigger point is, how do you expect drivers to describe challenges they face without it being called whinging? If one of your friends tells you that an exam is hard or a particular colleague is tough to work with do you automatically call him a whinger? Personally I find it extremely interesting when drivers talk about new regulations and the effect it will have on their driving.
^This
I also highly doubt that Massa called around trying to find a reporter willing to listen to him "whine", though some of the members seem to think that's how these articles are born.
Most of the time the drivers are just answering direct questions, and personally I like hearing honest answers to those.

Tazio
17th January 2011, 23:27
some of the members seem to think that's how these articles are born.

Trolls have to eat, and they slurp this crap up!

ShiftingGears
18th January 2011, 00:45
There really isn't a comparison between having a lot of buttons on the steering wheel and changing gears with one hand on the steering wheel. While manually changing gears is much more physical it is more about doing one task and doing it well rather than managing about 20 different buttons for gimmicks that F1 doesnt need. (Read: ditch the Push to Pass button, and adjustible rear wing within one second of the previous car)

I'm betting most of you would rather be changing gears while steering with one hand rather than driving and having to manage about 20 different buttons on your steering wheel.

Koz
18th January 2011, 05:33
There really isn't a comparison between having a lot of buttons on the steering wheel and changing gears with one hand on the steering wheel. While manually changing gears is much more physical it is more about doing one task and doing it well rather than managing about 20 different buttons for gimmicks that F1 doesnt need. (Read: ditch the Push to Pass button, and adjustible rear wing within one second of the previous car)

I'm betting most of you would rather be changing gears while steering with one hand rather than driving and having to manage about 20 different buttons on your steering wheel.

Exactly.

Probably more like texting with both hands while driving...

CaptainRaiden
18th January 2011, 09:01
Many of the buttons on an F1 car are for functions that are to be adjusted when the driver isn't busy, like engine mapping or differential settings. The KERS and rear wing buttons are going to be used when the driver is going to be concentrating on overtaking.

IMO this is the particular problem. The speed differential between the overtaking and overtaken car at the end of a straight is going to be potentially massive as you may have a car using both KERS and a low drag rear wing coming up behind a car that may already have used up its KERS that lap with a high drag rear wing. On top of that you have the overtaking driver twiddling with buttons at the same time. The scope for a large accident is pretty big.

Fair enough. But really when is an F1 driver not busy during a lap? Maybe only when on the main straight, which is where they will use the KERS and adjust the rear wing in 2011. Didn't drivers block the F-duct with their left hands while on the straight AND change the brake bias and fuel mixture too last year? I saw Vettel and Alonso doing that on multiple occasions. What about Ferrari drivers pulling on, what seemed like a nob beneath the steering wheel on the straights in 2007? So, out goes the F-duct and in comes maybe two buttons which you'll press on the straights with your thumbs. It's not like they're bombarded all of a sudden with a gazillion buttons, so Massa's opinion does sound like a little bit of a whinge. It's not like I don't like Massa or anything, and probably I did read into it way too much, but hey, it's the off season. :p They should unveil the cars already! :mad:

I have no problems with drivers describing the challenges they face or giving honest opinions. As for the analogy, if my friend was the only one complaining about the exam in the whole class, then yes, I would probably call him a whinger. :D

CaptainRaiden
18th January 2011, 09:03
^This
I also highly doubt that Massa called around trying to find a reporter willing to listen to him "whine", though some of the members seem to think that's how these articles are born.

Do you really honestly think people are this naive?

Trolls have to eat, and they slurp this crap up!

That's it Taz? No poem this time? :p

Bagwan
18th January 2011, 13:14
I thought Felipe and Jensen were friends .

SGWilko
18th January 2011, 14:33
Do you really honestly think people are this naive?

I'd stick my neck out and say I know people are that naive, just to get a reaction......

Tazio
18th January 2011, 21:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex5dhhpSHCw

I don't think there will be a lot of button pushing into Eau Rouge. although probably on the uphill kers, rearwing adjustment and, ? :eek:

Big Ben
19th January 2011, 09:55
The man doesn't like so many buttons on his wheel. You are going to tell him what he has to like now? He's right since at least two of them are 'push to pass' buttons and the one to adjust the rear wing is the dumbest idea since I've start watching f1, that being 15 years ago.

ArrowsFA1
30th January 2011, 09:37
Formula 1 technical chiefs are to keep a close check on whether drivers are struggling with being asked to operate too many buttons on their steering wheels this year - with Ferrari suggesting the situation could have reached an 'unacceptable' level.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89138

christophulus
30th January 2011, 11:36
Just leave the radio button and get rid of the rest :)

Ferrari can't have it both ways. Either you simplify F1 cars (smaller engines, fewer devices), which is something they've resisted doing, or you let the teams spend what they want which will equate to more electronic trickery, and thus, more buttons.

Zico
31st January 2011, 12:57
It should be kept as simple as possible.

X Accelerate
□ Brake
▲ Kers
O Rear Wing
R1 / L1 Brake Bias
R2 / L2 ARB
Select - Pit lane limiter
Start - Pause

;)

JRodrigues
31st January 2011, 13:42
Should we say that Massa will have as many buttons on the steering as he had in 2009?!

KERS? check!
Moveable wing? Check!

What the hell is he complaining about???

Tazio
31st January 2011, 14:03
Just leave the radio button and get rid of the rest :)

Ferrari can't have it both ways. Either you simplify F1 cars (smaller engines, fewer devices), which is something they've resisted doing, or you let the teams spend what they want which will equate to more electronic trickery, and thus, more buttons.The gall of those guys over there in I-toe-ly making a comment about a safety concern :(
I think that it is a concern about other teams that don't have experienced drivers that they do, that they are probably concerned about ruining one of their driver’s races. There is something wrong with a driver that doesn't want to see another race where you have torrential rain and a guy saying the conditions are fine let’s race. A driver that already has demonstrated that he has had problems, causing collisions,
and losing a WDC because it's about the buttons. :s mokin:

OutRun
31st January 2011, 22:17
I don't have any sympathy for the drivers. I'm looking forward to the mistakes. It's not like they are being asked to text while driving.

Tazio
1st February 2011, 03:50
I don't have any sympathy for the drivers. I'm looking forward to the mistakes. It's not like they are being asked to text while driving.
I hear you bro! I restrain from texting when I hit 3.5 lateral G's, and 4.25 G's under braking.
This isn't a rule, more of a guideline;
175 mph is where I start getting out of my comfort zone while texting

Seriously though I agree with you, some will take to it much easier than others. I think the media made more of an issue of it than any pilot or team did. I think it is simply an observation. It wasn't that long ago that F1 people use to marvel at how Mike was able to adjust his brake bias in-between turns :s ailor:
Cheers,
my man

JackSparrow
1st February 2011, 22:28
The Spaniard admitted it was tricky to handle all the buttons inside the car now, and he believes some drivers could benefit from working them better.
"Obviously it's not very easy, so if you lose concentration you lose performance,"

It might be a crashfest season

Tazio
2nd February 2011, 16:40
However, Williams ace Barrichello said he didn't think the addition of more controls would be a danger to drivers, even though he concedes that there is concern if they are forced to take there eyes off the road at any point during a race.

“I don't think it's a danger, but I think it's a concern,” he said. “In terms of execution, the additional controls are obviously necessary, but people have different steering wheels, so drivers may therefore be able to reach some buttons easier than others. The problem is you are taking your eye off the road. There is not a single straight where I don't press a button and change gear.

“In my role in the Grand Prix Drivers' Association we will keep talking about this, but I think the FIA will let us practice a little more. I think the strong comments will come now but will lessen as people get used to things.”
:rolleyes:

CaptainRaiden
3rd February 2011, 12:10
The gall of those guys over there in I-toe-ly making a comment about a safety concern :(
I think that it is a concern about other teams that don't have experienced drivers that they do, that they are probably concerned about ruining one of their driver’s races. There is something wrong with a driver that doesn't want to see another race where you have torrential rain and a guy saying the conditions are fine let’s race. A driver that already has demonstrated that he has had problems, causing collisions,
and losing a WDC because it's about the buttons. :s mokin:

I'm guessing that's a dig at Hamilton, because that seems to be your new hobby. Anyway I think it is, hard to judge from the incoherent ramblings. :p BTW it was his first year in F1, where as a rookie he pretty much schooled the double champ prima donna Inspector "six-tenths" Closueau and ALMOST won the championship in his FIRST year, and then won it in his SECOND year. I guess a little error is forgivable. He did have to upgrade from a fairly simple GP2 steering wheel to an F1 steering wheel with a million more buttons, but hey, he didn't cry about it. ;)

Tazio
3rd February 2011, 15:10
I'm guessing that's a dig at Hamilton, because that seems to be your new hobby. Anyway I think it is, hard to judge from the incoherent ramblings. :p BTW it was his first year in F1, where as a rookie he pretty much schooled the double champ prima donna Inspector "six-tenths" Closueau and ALMOST won the championship in his FIRST year, and then won it in his SECOND year. I guess a little error is forgivable. He did have to upgrade from a fairly simple GP2 steering wheel to an F1 steering wheel with a million more buttons, but hey, he didn't cry about it. ;) No! That in no way was meant to be a dig at the Boss. I really admire him. I have a much better appreciation of F1 as a whole entity. Actually my attitude was retarded by the accomplishments of Mike at Ferrari, and my hatred of Fred was really misplaced admiration. I will always pull for Ferrari, and look forward to the season when the Boss is adorned in the Fiero Rosso. I just call them like I see them. As far as I can tell The Boss is not any better of a pilot now then he was his rookie season, at least in a relative way. I know I come off as a fan boy for Fred but I only am interested in his contributions to Ferrari. That is why I am such a huge admirer of Kimi :kiss: . Unlike a lot of his fans I have moved on from his departure from Ferrari, in the same manner I have moved on from Mike. It is not important to me what role Luca played, and how Kimi :kiss: got shafted. I will always look upon him with admiration because he is one in a line of drivers that brought Ferrari a WDC. I only appear to be against the Boss because he doesn't drive for my team. The reality of the situation is I admire all the drivers, but I prefer to concentrate on the ones that drive for Ferrari. That puts me at odds with most of the members on these boards. I spend more time pointing out biased journalism that is so superficial that I just have to assume that I am dealing with homers between the age of 13 and 17, which is fine. But I dig "The Boss" I was just trying to contrast how someone with his talent can have issues with complicated electronics, anybody can. And I was also trying to make the point that it has convoluted the substantive differences between pure driving ability and the type of talent it takes to suceed at video games.
In closing I expect more out of you. You know what a flake I am, and will do just about anything to get a laugh.
Please don’t be so paranoid! :s mokin: