PDA

View Full Version : Car shopping woes

Hazell B
13th January 2011, 16:18
My old Range Rover is about on it's last legs. It needs to be replaced by something similar with only about four or five grand to spend .... and I hate car shopping. It's like looking at puppies in a rescue centre for me :p :

Anyone know any safe motor auctions in the Yorkshire area?

Daniel
13th January 2011, 19:11
I think you're probably the person on this forum who knows the most about the subject to be fair :p

Hazell B
13th January 2011, 20:52
Good point well made.
Thing is, they're either stocking tatty things not worth buying or they've gone out of the trade ... so I'm back to being an amateur!

Car shopping is worse than buying a hated mother-in-law new jewellery :(

Eki
13th January 2011, 21:07
.... and I hate car shopping. It's like looking at puppies in a rescue centre for me :p :

Try something in Naburn.

Rollo
13th January 2011, 21:41
Have you thought about looking online at places like Auto Trader?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/

Admittedly if you do go to the motor auctions, you do get a vehicle closer to what the wholesale price would have been, but at least with sites like Auto Trader they do give you the option of searching within x miles or where you live.

pedro17
14th January 2011, 14:46
autotrader is the best way i find

GridGirl
14th January 2011, 17:02
Starter, I don't think I quite understand what your getting at with your last post. Did you mean that you have no assurances using Autotrader or a car auction. Autotrader here in the UK is a place where both private and corporate businesses can list cars for sale in the Autotrader publication and website. Anyone interesting in buying the car can then organise a viewing and then potentially agree a sale. Autotrader is merely an advertising service and any later sale is agreed privately.

Although when I've sold cars before I've left all details of the past service history in the car. I don't want the invoices and receipts when I haven't got the car anymore.

Mark
14th January 2011, 21:15
Plus in UK law private sales are 'as seen' there's no comeback if things go wrong. However traders must offer a warranty.

Jag_Warrior
15th January 2011, 22:14
Hazell, here's where you may be able to use your new iPhone. Here we have a service called "Car Fax" which allows you to get a vehicle's service and repair history. I'm assuming there's something similar there? I just went to the App Store and typed "vehicle history" in the search bar. There's a free app called "Vehicle VIN Search". Whether I went to a private seller or a dealership, I'd use this. I bet there are other apps that also give pointers on your exact Range Rover question.

P.S. I just downloaded the app and there's a "Lemon Check" button for identifying dud cars and also a "Record Check" for what I mentioned. Pretty cool, IMO.

Eki
15th January 2011, 22:38
Hazell, here's where you may be able to use your new iPhone. Here we have a service called "Car Fax" which allows you to get a vehicle's service and repair history. I'm assuming there's something similar there? I just went to the App Store and typed "vehicle history" in the search bar. There's a free app called "Vehicle VIN Search". Whether I went to a private seller or a dealership, I'd use this. I bet there are other apps that also give pointers on your exact Range Rover question.

P.S. I just downloaded the app and there's a "Lemon Check" button for identifying dud cars and also a "Record Check" for what I mentioned. Pretty cool, IMO.
Is there a "White Elephant Check" too?

driveace
17th January 2011, 20:58
There is British car auctions at Brighouse,just off M62,or Premier Car auctions in Leeds,just when 4x4 stuff is on sale i dont know,as last time i was there was to buy a nearly new Merc at a closed auction 3 months ago.but a call to either will tell you what sales are on and when

Mark in Oshawa
17th January 2011, 22:38
I suspect Hazell will get a new 4x4 without our help...lol..

What is more, I suspect most of us likely wouldn't have as much luck finding the vehicle as Hazell would. Somehow I feel here is a woman who knows her vehicles, and knows how to negotiate a deal.

schmenke
17th January 2011, 23:16
She's more than welcome to visit this side of the pond in the spring when the missus and I plan to trade the current family vehicle in for <...shudder...> a minivan.

:uhoh:

Mark in Oshawa
18th January 2011, 19:47
She's more than welcome to visit this side of the pond in the spring when the missus and I plan to trade the current family vehicle in for <...shudder...> a minivan.

:uhoh:

Minivans make more sense than SUV's...better on gas, more space....but for taking points off your testosterone count...yikes..they are bad for that!

driveace
18th January 2011, 20:10
you could be correct there.My daughter had a Volvo XC90,and wanted a new BMW X5,which she now has.But the Volvo had 7 seats,so we now have a new Hyundai i800 minibus 8 seater,which is brilliant,to move all 7/8 in the extended family.

Hazell B
19th January 2011, 11:37
What is more, I suspect most of us likely wouldn't have as much luck finding the vehicle as Hazell would.

I'll grant you I tend to be very lucky in life, but as yet no sign of much worth buying. People are snapping up anything and everything 4x4 at top dollar thanks to the recent freezing weather. Older vehicles have added about a third to their value over last years prices :(

Somehow I feel here is a woman who knows her vehicles, and knows how to negotiate a deal.

Knows vehicles? I wish. I know pretty much nothing to be honest. Put it this way, you'd all know a lame horse, but you wouldn't know why it's lame and what could be done to fix it. I'm the same with vehicles - I could easily miss a huge fault hidden by a minor one.
Striking a deal, however, is the least of my worries :D

Auctions either offer very good terms and warranty or nothing at all, depending on the auction house, age of vehicle and terms of sale. I'm lucky in the York Livestock Centre holds a safe weekly sale (going tonight, as it happens) but I still don't know enough about cars really. I do know some of the staff (my shop's on the auction site) and they'll tell me which seller to trust, which is better than nothing.

I hate car shopping even more now.
One week in and I'm wishing I could bite the bullet and get a car on the never-never like almost everyone else does :p :

driveace
19th January 2011, 15:50
Know a guy who has a KIA Sorento $x4 3.6 petrol Automatic,2003/4 in Blue Interested? As he will take any GOOD offer,I bid him silly at £1k,but maybe £2 and a half would suffice.Only guessing here but its for sale! i have his numbers

Hazell B
19th January 2011, 16:34
Kind offer but no thanks. It wouldn't handle the job I do and is far too costly to run with that engine.

Hazell B
19th January 2011, 21:07
Having said I wouldn't buy anything ....

I got a 2000 (W) Jaguar S Type V6 3.0.
What can I say - it's pretty and I am a girl deep down :p :

Oh, and the price was right ;) :D

Hazell B
19th January 2011, 22:13
Plus I now get to ask my other half "shall we take the Range Rover or the Jag, darling?" :p :

(meaning "which would you rather push if it won't start ....")

Daniel
20th January 2011, 13:54
Having said I wouldn't buy anything ....

I got a 2000 (W) Jaguar S Type V6 3.0.
What can I say - it's pretty and I am a girl deep down :p :

Oh, and the price was right ;) :D

Taking up golf are we? :p

Hazell B
20th January 2011, 16:12
Already play (badly) :p :

billiaml
20th January 2011, 16:19
LOL. Most of us who play, play badly.

schmenke
20th January 2011, 17:07
LOL. Most of us who play, play badly.

:wave: :D

Hazell B
20th January 2011, 18:13
No point in playing if you can't put the fear of god into every living thing ahead of you :p :

billiaml
20th January 2011, 18:39
... or beside you, or behind you. In the air, in the water, or on dry land,....

schmenke
20th January 2011, 20:17
Just stand exactly where I'm aiming and you'll be fine :p :

driveace
20th January 2011, 21:36
Just stand exactly where I'm aiming and you'll be fine :p :
four!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kipper
21st January 2011, 12:53
My old Range Rover is about on it's last legs. It needs to be replaced by something similar with only about four or five grand to spend .... and I hate car shopping. It's like looking at puppies in a rescue centre for me :p :

As long as it has plenty of room in the back it doesn't matter what it is :)

billiaml
21st January 2011, 15:14
When I'm on the tee, you're generally safe standing in the middle of the fairway that I'm playing. The adjacent fairways, on the other hand,...

Jag_Warrior
21st January 2011, 21:51
Congrats on getting the S-type, Hazell. I always liked the styling of those cars - especially the front end. Welcome to "the family". :wave:

But one thing I am wondering about... didn't you haul a lot of stuff in your Land Rover and use it as a work vehicle? Is the Jag a replacement vehicle or a companion vehicle?

veeten
22nd January 2011, 03:45
so now it's just a question of 'posh vs push', eh?... ;) :p :

veeten
22nd January 2011, 03:48
When I'm on the tee, you're generally safe standing in the middle of the fairway that I'm playing. The adjacent fairways, on the other hand,...

ah, so that explains the houses with the holes where window panes used to be.... :p :

Hazell B
24th January 2011, 21:54
didn't you haul a lot of stuff in your Land Rover and use it as a work vehicle? Is the Jag a replacement vehicle or a companion vehicle?

It's a totally wrong-for-the-job replacement :p :
The Range Rover carried about five sacks full of stuff, all of which are now in a stable, that were work related. The Jag carries nothing yet and won't if I have my way. With luck it'll be a short lived diversion from the usual 4x4, here only until I find a nice vehicle I can use. Then I can try selling it at profit :)

The 'no crap in here' rule was broken on sunday (my partner collected some hay in it) and will be forgotten next month (new chickens to collect), but beside that I PROMISE to look after it. Honest :wave:

Brown, Jon Brow
24th January 2011, 22:06
It's a totally wrong-for-the-job replacement :p :
The Range Rover carried about five sacks full of stuff, all of which are now in a stable, that were work related. The Jag carries nothing yet and won't if I have my way. With luck it'll be a short lived diversion from the usual 4x4, here only until I find a nice vehicle I can use. Then I can try selling it at profit :)

The 'no crap in here' rule was broken on sunday (my partner collected some hay in it) and will be forgotten next month (new chickens to collect), but beside that I PROMISE to look after it. Honest :wave:

At least you can say 'I drive a Jaaaag' :p

schmenke
24th January 2011, 23:54
Hazell, you're transporting chickens and hay in a Jag? :crazy:

Pics please! :D

Hazell B
26th January 2011, 19:21
At least you can say 'I drive a Jaaaag' :p

And my partner can say he tows a Jag :mark:

Damned immobiliser shut everything down this morning and left me stranded in a field ..... so we towed it with an ancient, rusty van to a garage. The brakes failed half way there, at the top of a slope, and gave me one hell of a brown trouser moment at 5mph :laugh:

Anyone know how to stop a the computer saying 'no' and get it started if it does it again? There was no instruction book in the glovebox, so I just kept trying lock/unlock versions until it got too dark to carry on. Hence the garage - let a greasy little man tinker ;)

Hazell B
26th January 2011, 19:22
Hazell, you're transporting chickens and hay in a Jag? :crazy:

Pics please! :D

I'll stick a hen in the back just for you, schmenke :wave: