PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

Alfa Fan
11th January 2011, 22:44
New URL...forum down all day?

Daniel
11th January 2011, 23:18
New URL...forum down all day?

In Mr Burns fashion let's just say that the worm appears to have finally shown it's fangs.......

Sonic
12th January 2011, 12:21
Thank the gods it's back! I didn't realise how many times a day I popped in until it wasn't here

MrMetro
12th January 2011, 12:24
Thank the gods it's back! I didn't realise how many times a day I popped in until it wasn't here

Same here :)

Mark
12th January 2011, 12:25
Our hosting provider decided they weren't going to host us any more and terminated my access, it was all rather sudden!

veeten
12th January 2011, 12:57
could be because of that cheque made by "Bridgestone Tyre and Rubber Co." that you sent them, but...

Just kidding... :p :

Daniel
12th January 2011, 13:24
That man insulted your honour Mark......... :p Challenge that biatch to a duel!

Mark
12th January 2011, 13:25
Yes, a duel to the death! I nominate Daniel to fight on my behalf...

Daniel
12th January 2011, 13:27
Yes, a duel to the death! I nominate Daniel to fight on my behalf...

If I didn't know better I'd say you wanted me dead :mad: :p

Retro Formula 1
12th January 2011, 14:48
Fiat 500 Vs a V10.

Know where my money is :D

schmenke
12th January 2011, 14:49
Was some data lost? I can't help but get the feeling that some posts and/or threads have gone missing.

Probably a good thing :p :

Mark
12th January 2011, 14:52
Was some data lost? I can't help but get the feeling that some posts and/or threads have gone missing.

Probably a good thing :p :

Yeah, roughly about 5 hours or so worth of posts. I do have copies of them but instead I restored from a known good backup.

Retro Formula 1
12th January 2011, 15:32
So, is this an official move away from Motorsport.com?

Mark
12th January 2011, 15:54
Yes it is.

Retro Formula 1
12th January 2011, 16:13
Oh well, if the old forum is dead, may as well trash it :laugh:

schmenke
12th January 2011, 16:21
Yes it is.

Does that mean a loss of any of the sponsors?

Mark
12th January 2011, 17:09
Not sure what you mean by sponsors. We still have the google adverts, if these will cover the hosting costs I'm not sure yet. One thing I can tell you is that motorsport.com do not have my permission to use my old forum installation.

Dave B
12th January 2011, 17:19
One thing I can tell you is that motorsport.com do not have my permission to use my old forum installation.
There's still a forum on their site. Does this mean they're using vBulletin unlicenced - and can you report them?

Mark
12th January 2011, 17:22
Almost certainly yes, and probably. I'm more concerned that members accessing through that site will think that it's still these forums. If you know anyone who is lost then please send them in the right direction!

Daniel
12th January 2011, 17:22
Fiat 500 Vs a V10.

Know where my money is :D

Depends what sort of a duel :p I'm hoping it's a fuel consumption duel :mark:

Tomi
12th January 2011, 17:44
Depends what sort of a duel :p I'm hoping it's a fuel consumption duel :mark:

my money is on you if its a sleeping duel.

veeten
12th January 2011, 17:45
Don't worry, he won't get far... :burnout:

;) :p :

Retro Formula 1
12th January 2011, 18:09
Almost certainly yes, and probably. I'm more concerned that members accessing through that site will think that it's still these forums. If you know anyone who is lost then please send them in the right direction!

I'm having fun back on there :D

Jag_Warrior
12th January 2011, 18:53
Well, if Facebook is worth $50 billion, I figured this place was worth a good $5-$10 million and Mark had just sold out. Figured he was already hanging out on the beach at Saint-Tropez, living the sweet life and had (quickly) forgotten about us lowlifes. :p

Mark
12th January 2011, 18:56
Haha. If only!

markabilly
12th January 2011, 19:07
I figured that it was because Dunnell said I had an ill mind, and it was flashback from God's punishment on her....

markabilly
12th January 2011, 19:09
so what is the correct link?
I must be there or else i would not see what be writing, i think

What was motorsport.com??

schmenke
12th January 2011, 19:40
Not sure what you mean by sponsors. ....

Dunno, I thought there might have been some other third-party sponsors helping to fund this madhouse.
Is funding through just the Google adverts?
Where is the server now located? In Pino's apartment?

truefan72
12th January 2011, 20:37
ok I am hear now
:)

J4MIE
12th January 2011, 21:49
Despicable them :down:

Mark
13th January 2011, 07:32
Dunno, I thought there might have been some other third-party sponsors helping to fund this madhouse.
Is funding through just the Google adverts?

A small amount of funding through google adverts, the vast remainder from my own pocket just now!

Where is the server now located? In Pino's apartment?

Paris! Apparently..

Sonic
13th January 2011, 09:41
A small amount of funding through google adverts, the vast remainder from my own pocket just now!

Well let's turn that around.

Start clicking on those ads boys and girls :D

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2011, 14:27
I used to click on the odd add, but right now I have one for Monster Jam at Roger's Center. Monster truck's isn't really motorsport in just like stripper poles are not exactly the ballet. Fun yes, but not quite the same...

Anyhow, I thank Daniel for shooting me the link over on Facebook...and I do hope we get a good URL web name that looks nice and easy to remember, because 95.142.174.175/ forum doesn't have the same ring ya know?

555-04Q2
13th January 2011, 14:33
Also was caught out but figured out what was happening quick enough.

Many thanks to Mark for all the hard work he puts into this forum so we can all banter with each other everyday :up:

Mark
13th January 2011, 14:44
I used to click on the odd add, but right now I have one for Monster Jam at Roger's Center. Monster truck's isn't really motorsport in just like stripper poles are not exactly the ballet. Fun yes, but not quite the same...

Anyhow, I thank Daniel for shooting me the link over on Facebook...and I do hope we get a good URL web name that looks nice and easy to remember, because 95.142.174.175/ forum doesn't have the same ring ya know?

:D
That was just while the DNS servers updated, so http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/ should work for you just fine.

Mark
13th January 2011, 18:35
Looks like nobody is posting there, thanks :D

Let's hope they do the right and ethical thing by starting their own forum instead of just taking a copy of this one!

schmenke
13th January 2011, 18:55
You mean there's potentially another schmenke out there in a parallel cyber-universe?! :eek:

airshifter
13th January 2011, 22:47
You mean there's potentially another schmenke out there in a parallel cyber-universe?! :eek:

You may have trouble proving that he is the "another" Schmenke. Cover your bases. :D

Daniel
13th January 2011, 23:30
I see some people are doing up proud on the dingus forum :D Just goes to show how few people go through their site to post on the forum :D

Daniel
13th January 2011, 23:37
The **** stirrer in me wonders if making a "This sausage roll is less likely than motorsport.com to stab you in the back and try to steal your forum" group on Facebook. What do you reckon? :D

PuddleJumper
14th January 2011, 22:27
I liked "Sliding Doors" and have often wondered what it would be like if I could split myself in two and take different paths through time and space. Perhaps I can find out now.

I hope everyone finds their way here and treats our former home with the contempt it deserves.

AAReagles
16th January 2011, 04:30
Our hosting provider decided they weren't going to host us any more and terminated my access, it was all rather sudden!

:(

AAReagles
16th January 2011, 04:33
Despicable them :down:

Probably a result of the (moral) support Wikileaks got from this forum.

:down:

GridGirl
21st June 2011, 13:13
I just got a birthday message from motorsport.com. I had almost forgotten they still existed after all the drama that took place in January. Just popped back to have a look and its still pretty dead over there. The most recent posts in the F1 forum were on 7th June, 18th March and 17th February. :s

Mark
21st June 2011, 14:31
Looks like they are concentrating on Facebook and comments on individual articles etc with little emphasis being placed on the forums.

This is why them using this forum was a good idea as it gave them a busy forum for zero effort on their part, given what they have now it makes their decision to go it alone (if we ignore the attempted hostile takeover) even more puzzling.

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 06:14
Looks like they are concentrating on Facebook and comments on individual articles etc with little emphasis being placed on the forums.

This is why them using this forum was a good idea as it gave them a busy forum for zero effort on their part, given what they have now it makes their decision to go it alone (if we ignore the attempted hostile takeover) even more puzzling.

You mean there is no other viable alternative to this forum at the moment :s hock:

I was about to go browzing for an upgrade, looks like I'm stuck with you bunch for a bit longer then :p :

Dave B
22nd June 2011, 11:28
You mean there is no other viable alternative to this forum at the moment :s hock:

I was about to go browzing for an upgrade, looks like I'm stuck with you bunch for a bit longer then :p :

Well there's always 10 Tenths or Pitpass, but it makes me shudder just thinking about them! :eek:

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 11:59
Well there's always 10 Tenths or Pitpass, but it makes me shudder just thinking about them! :eek:

I used to be a member of 10 Tenths, but the less said about that forum the better :p :

Dave B
22nd June 2011, 12:49
Did they make you hand back your bobble-hat when you left?

555-04Q2
22nd June 2011, 13:14
:erm: Don't tell my wife that I had to do that :s cared:

Daniel
22nd June 2011, 19:00
Did they make you hand back your bobble-hat when you left?

Explain? :P

MrJan
28th June 2011, 13:18
I used to be a member of 10 Tenths, but the less said about that forum the better :p :

Pistonheads is popular. I like some of the subjects that seem to crop up but the way it looks hurts my brain and my eyes. It's just an effort reading it, and for that reason I don't bother unless someone links to it.

Back when Motorsport.com changed their layout I had a look at their FB page (well okay, I was still hurling abuse in an attempt to get them to un-ban me and let me take down my e-mail address etc.). Didn't seem to go down too well initially, lots of people asking for it to go back to the old style and saying it was awkward and difficult to navigate.

The forum switch certainly didn't work for them, with so few posts it can't be gettting many new users in and without regular posts it'll just continue to fade.