PDA

View Full Version : I knew this day was coming but so soon ????

A.F.F.
30th December 2010, 22:58
I'm getting new glasses tomorrow :mark:

Yippee....

I can still see normally, especially long distances but I can't read small print anymore. I don't which one is more stupid looking, the glasses or when I try desperately use my arm as a telescope in order to see what I'm trying to see in that moment.

Age.... can be a b***h !

gloomyDAY
30th December 2010, 23:48
I'm getting new glasses tomorrow :mark:

Yippee....

I can still see normally, especially long distances but I can't read small print anymore. I don't which one is more stupid looking, the glasses or when I try desperately use my arm as a telescope in order to see what I'm trying to see in that moment.

Age.... can be a b***h !Welcome to the club ol' timer. Glasses aren't too bad!

I've been wearing glasses since I was 13, so more than a decade now. I certainly don't feel stupid for wearing them, though I use contacts when I go out with friends.

ICWS
30th December 2010, 23:50
Hey, how do you think that makes me feel? I'm only 23 and my vision is quite bad without glasses or contact lenses. I've worn glasses since I was 15 years old, and earlier this year I got my first pair of contact lenses. I've tried about 6 different pairs of glasses throughout those 8-9 years because I vision got progressively worse as I got older. I figure I'll go blind by the time I reach 60 years old :p .

A.F.F.
31st December 2010, 00:04
My wife had a laser surgery six years ago and she got rid of glasses which she had used from a teenager. Funny part was that they only operated one eye and it was the eye with worse sight :eek: Two weeks after the surgery her brains just fixed the sight and so long to glasses :)

I have never had glasses before so I guess I just have to get used to them. Well, fortunately they had a campaign at the store so I got two different pairs with the price of one.

It just feel kinda sad since my sight has got worse in very short period time. A year before I didn't have any problem with small print.

A.F.F.
31st December 2010, 07:45
Funny part was that they only operated one eye and it was the eye with worse sight :eek: Two weeks after the surgery her brains just fixed the sight and so long to glasses :)

More nightshifts for me....

What I meant to say, they operated the better eye and left the worse eye alone and nowshe can see perfectly.

Mark in Oshawa
31st December 2010, 09:12
AFF...I feel your pain brother. I used to have 20 10 eyesight..but slowly but surely in my middle age it is going away...

AndySpeed
31st December 2010, 09:27
Staring at computer screens every day is bad for your eyesight?

Mark
31st December 2010, 09:42
Apparently so. But it's less of an issue with LCD as it was with CRT.

AndySpeed
31st December 2010, 10:32
Any idea if it makes a difference how brightly I set the laptop's backlight? I usually prefer it quite bright as you get a better contrast but it does go quite dim.

I remember the optician once saying I had 20-20 vision. It's certainly not that anymore, but I'm without glasses for now...

J4MIE
31st December 2010, 10:45
I've worn glasses due to short sightedness for about 15 years so am used to it, I have been told that due to my diabetes contacts are not a good idea. The one thing I find annoying is having to get prescription sunglasses, I have lost two pairs in 8 months :(

A.F.F.
31st December 2010, 13:30
Well, now I got them. Welcome middle-age.

janneppi
31st December 2010, 14:26
You're lucky you don't need glasses when driving or in sporting activities, no need to get prescription sunglasses. During winter time it's frustrating when for example skii-in you stop and the lenses fog-up and might not open at all for the rest of the trip.

Eki
31st December 2010, 15:58
Welcome to the club ol' timer. Glasses aren't too bad!

I've been wearing glasses since I was 13, so more than a decade now. I certainly don't feel stupid for wearing them, though I use contacts when I go out with friends.
A guy had a mark, a kind of groove, on his nose. He was once asked where did it come from. He said it came from glasses. He was then asked why doesn't he get contact lenses. He said he can't drink beer from contact lenses.

Easy Drifter
31st December 2010, 20:59
Nice one Eki! :D
I have had to use glasses for reading since my mid 40's.
Distance is still exceptional. Out with a friend and I could read a street sign he couldn't even see!

schmenke
3rd January 2011, 17:29
Yup, welcome to the club A.F.F.
I got my first pair of reading glasses about 5 years ago, and have since had to upgrade the prescription :mark: .

GridGirl
3rd January 2011, 19:50
I started to wear glasses around the age of 12 and was wearing glasses full time around the age of 16. I have worn reactor glasses for around 10 years now but wear contact lenses as well. I mostly use my contact lenses for activities where I know that I'm likely to loose or break my glasses such as doing things like Go Ape or when I'm out mountain biking. Plus using contacts means that I can wear my pretty awesome looking pink cycling sunglasses. :D

5th July 2012, 11:52
Being a prescription wearer can be annoying :) I wear glasses all the time and run an online company who specializes in sports prescription sunglasses (http://www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk/). Perfect for driving as many of our styles are wrap around so you'll not end up with a twisted neck trying to turn your head so much to see behind you! If you need any help with choosing the correct lens colours etc please let me know. Simon