View Full Version : Emigration

Sonic
14th December 2010, 22:45
Would you?

Have you?

Where would/did you go?

BDunnell
14th December 2010, 22:50
I have — sort of, as I don't class moving from Britain to Germany as truly 'emigrating'.

Drew
14th December 2010, 23:07
I plan to, again. I hope to get a job in Europe somewhere starting in January.

GridGirl
14th December 2010, 23:12
Me, probably not. However, my dad did around 38 years ago in 1973. He had been declined a position in the Mauritian police force for being too skinny and had been told he needed to bulk up before they would let him in. He applied for a job to train as a doctor in England which was advertised in a local job center. He got the job, moved to England one Saturday and started medical school the following Wednesday. The rest I suppose history and I really can't see him ever moving back to Mauritius now either. If nothing else he would miss his beloved football team too much. :p

schmenke
14th December 2010, 23:19
I remembering reading somewhere that on average 9 out of 10 people end up living within 200kms of where they were born. Me, I'm currently living about 3,000kms from where I was born but am still in the same country! :p :

I wouldn't mind emigrating somewhere warm right about now :dozey:

J4MIE
14th December 2010, 23:51
I like the idea and would love to one day, pending getting my finances sorted out and discovering what I want to do with my life :D Even if not permanently, I would like to go various places, even for a year or two or whatever. I guess the clock is ticking before I will be too old to get a working holiday visa.... :(

My brother has moved out to Adelaide, he has been there for nearly three years now and has a great life, good job, overall I think far better than here, especially with the outdoor lifestyle, he has no need to worry about whether to switch to winter tyres or not ;)

But then again I have always been the most patriotic of my family (despite also being the furthest travelled) so not really sure I could leave forever even if I do hate the cold.... Having a way of obtaining insulin whilst abroad would be my main concern.

What's got you thinking, Sonic?

donKey jote
15th December 2010, 00:09
I guess I come from a family of emigrants...
My father's parents emigrated from Spain to Ireland, my parents emigrated from the UK to Bahrain, Turkey (where I was born), Australia and finally to Spain, and I emigrated first to the UK (further studies and first employment) and then -via Austria- to Germany.
:dozey:

ICWS
15th December 2010, 00:37
Next summer, I plan on going to Prague. I also would like to visit cities in the countries that border the Czech Republic (Germany, Austria, Poland, Hungary, and Slovakia). This would be my first time being outside of the United States, as I've lived in southern California my whole life, and have visited Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Colorado, New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington D.C. I would be going to the Czech Republic because my older brother is working as on an internship as a foreign diplomat and will be temporarily stationed there for a while.

I'm intrigued with visiting Prague because of how unique the city is; I'm a fan of Full Metal Alchemist, and I've been told that Prague looks like the fictional city that that anime takes place in.

Alexamateo
15th December 2010, 03:16
My career is here, and although I could technically do what I do anywhere, it would mean going back to square one and building up a customer base again, so I'm not going anywhere. That said, I can definitely see myself retiring to Mexico to be near my wife's family. Other than that I think I could live in Spain. I love Spain.

ShiftingGears
15th December 2010, 03:23
My brother has moved out to Adelaide, he has been there for nearly three years now and has a great life, good job, overall I think far better than here, especially with the outdoor lifestyle, he has no need to worry about whether to switch to winter tyres or not ;)

The biggest concern with an outdoor lifestyle in Australia is probably skin cancer.

555-04Q2
15th December 2010, 05:16
I live in the same suburb that I grew up in and my company is within 10 km of where I both live and grew up. I would only leave if I really had too. This is home for me and nothing beats an African sunset.

555-04Q2
15th December 2010, 05:18
The biggest concern with an outdoor lifestyle in Australia is probably skin cancer.

Thats what hats and 50 SPF sun screen are for.

Donney
15th December 2010, 08:11
I would if the conditions were better than here, why not? I still live where I was born probably 3 Km away....

I would like going to an English speaking country.

Sonic
15th December 2010, 08:39
What's got you thinking, Sonic?

A couple of our friends have done it and couldn't be happier. One moved to San Fran the others to Oz near Adelaide. Just got me thinking....

fandango
15th December 2010, 08:55
I'm Irish, but I moved here to Barcelona 12 years ago. Now I feel more at home here than in my native Dublin. I don't bump into people I know in the centre of Dublin anymore, but I do here.

Moving to another country is a good thing, to broaden your experience. However, it's not for everyone. There are always frustrating days, and being a foreigner on top of it all can test people. The question of identity is important, and it's something that gets talked about a lot here in Catalunya.

I find that when I go back to Ireland, the question of whether it was a good idea to move is always in the back of your head. It's a good thing, because I think it's good to ask yourself if you're happy, to appreciate when you are or to do something about it if you're not.

Now I can't imagine living in Dublin again.

pino
15th December 2010, 09:57
I've moved from Italy to France then to England then to Danmark then to Spain then to Germany and back to Danmark :crazy: and if wasn't for my wife and kids I would continue that :p :

Bolton Midnight
15th December 2010, 13:40
Considered moving to Oz (fortunately both my wife and I are professional people and would be welcomed with open arms) as I was sick and tired of watching Labour ruin Britain but then the Tories won and besides my wife wouldn't want to leave her mum, so who knows if Mother in Law snuffs it and Labour win again I'll be off like a shot.

AndySpeed
15th December 2010, 14:08
Sweden.

Hondo
15th December 2010, 15:04
No need to. No desire to. The United States offers just about any terrain, climate, and opportunity one could wish for.

Mark
15th December 2010, 15:07
But then again I have always been the most patriotic of my family (despite also being the furthest travelled) so not really sure I could leave forever even if I do hate the cold....

Karen has often said that she wouldn't like to leave the North East of England to go and live anywhere else, with the exception of Scotland!

Personally if I had the money I think I'd like to live somewhere like the South of France. More my kind of climate!

Having a way of obtaining insulin whilst abroad would be my main concern.
I guess supply isn't so much the issue as expense?

Mark in Oshawa
15th December 2010, 15:19
The only reason I could leave Canada would be for my dream job....but since I cannot really even define that, I am not sure I will even entertain it. I live in my hometown, mainly because I am around to look after my aging parents who have no other family left near to them. Had I the chance to emigrate, I would be doing it knowing what I was leaving my folks to. It would be emotionally tough.

As far as other nations are concerned, I have been all over North America, but really compared to Europe, that isn't well travelled. Then again, I have seen enough of other cultures through the immigrants that I can deduce where I might LIKE to live or not.

If I was emigrating to Europe, I think Germany, Ireland or the UK would be my choices, although I must admit, Spain would be looked at. If I was looking at any other place, Australia and/or New Zealand would be my only other viable options. My ability to mangle any language other than my own pretty much would hem me into English speaking nations.

Right now, looking at a -5 with -20 C windchill, Hawaii is looking REALLY good....

CaptainRaiden
15th December 2010, 18:14
I've currently sort of emigrated to Romania for a while, until my wife's visa and POI card gets sorted out, so that we can then go back to India. I don't have to be at my office to manage my business, so it all gets done over the internet.

Surprisingly my wife wants to go back to India much more than I do, well, firstly because she absolutely hates the below freezing point winter here and likes the idea of being in flip-flops all year long. Think about it, you don't have to get double or triple glazed windows, no extra money spent on warm clothes, and no huge winter gas bills. The first time she was in India, we were in Goa for 2 months. She didn't wanna come back. Well, I gotta agree with her about this, my toes are frozen as I type this! :(

Secondly, she believes Indians are more humble, polite and honest people. Can't agree with her on this one. :p :laugh:

Camelopard
16th December 2010, 00:54
Considered moving to Oz (fortunately both my wife and I are professional people and would be welcomed with open arms) as I was sick and tired of watching Labour ruin Britain but then the Tories won and besides my wife wouldn't want to leave her mum, so who knows if Mother in Law snuffs it and Labour win again I'll be off like a shot.

Please don't, we have enough whinging poms out here as it is. :)

Also you obviously haven't done much research because we also have a Federal 'Labor' Government and most state governments are also 'Labor'. :)

You may have also noticed in another thread that smoking is just about banned anywhere that food and or drink is served, so you may be restricted to smoking in your own house. Not a bad thing imo. :p

As for the comment about being both being 'professional people and would be welcomed with open arms', are you really sure about that, have you actually done any real research into the fact that you have a skill that is really needed here?

AndySpeed
16th December 2010, 01:02
No need to. No desire to. The United States offers just about any terrain, climate, and opportunity one could wish for.

Except for, arguably, the cultural diversity of the rest of the world.

Roamy
16th December 2010, 01:57
Except for, arguably, the cultural diversity of the rest of the world.
What do you mean - we have much cultural diversity
I just love "Cans"

Mexicans
Puerto Ricans
Africans
Americans

gadjo_dilo
16th December 2010, 07:08
My parents' families emigrated here when they were very young. They never complained or mentioned it but I noticed how hard was for them to integrate in romanian society. Even on their death bed my father and uncle dreamt of coming back to their land. I don't want to have the same diffficulties and I have a temper that can't adapt easily. That's why I never thought of leaving this place. It's hard to llive here, day by day I'm confronted with brutish behaviour but at the same time there's something about this place that fascinates me. I'm always complaining about having to live in a gipsyland but at the same time if I leave I'll miss it. Then I feel I can't find my place here where I know so many people, how can I cope with this somewhere else?

However, if after the next elections I'd be as disappointed as I was after the latest I'm seriously taking into account the alternative to emigrate in Congo. :laugh:

glauistean
16th December 2010, 19:53
This is a good thread. I had never really given this much thought.

South Africa has an appeal as does Australia. South Africa because there is so much to learn from an academic point of view.

Australia because it is so much like the US. New, immigrants and people that

were displaced and sent to Van Diemens Land for stealing a loaf of bread.

Very sad.

driveace
16th December 2010, 21:03
If i was younger,and no family,then maybe i would have given it a lot of thought.But my son is in Bulgaria,and coming back to the UK,even though his cost of living is cheap in Bulgaria,my grandson is in Adelaide,working as a tree surgeon,and enjoys it,my daughter is in Brisbane,and would love to return to the Uk to be nearer her first grandchild.My cousin is in Powell River ,Canada,and cannot get back to the UK enough.
So a lot of people do emigrate,and enjoy it,and get on with it,and i feel a larger number,get homesick,and miss their family and friends and ,pack up and come back to the UK.Its all about can you hack it or not,and is your standard of life better.
Myself ,well i have travelled all over the world (Australia 4 times USA 6 times ,South Africa,New Zealand,)and all over Europe,and i love to travel and enjoy most countrys that i visit,but still love to be back home in the UK

mjh
17th December 2010, 11:19
we've been in Australia for nearly four years now and, having got our permanent residency visas this year I'm in no hurry to go back to the UK, certainly not with the current economic / government situation.
There are pros and cons to emigrating, but on balance I'm happy down here. But everyone is different, and while we have a number of ex-pat friends locally, some who have been here for most of their lives now, we know of other who have not been able to adapt and have headed back home after a few months.

A.F.F.
17th December 2010, 11:37
I'd probably go to US. To the southern part to be more specific. Coast or no coast, it doesn't matter to me. I just want to get out of this frigging cold country !!!!

MrJan
17th December 2010, 12:26
My brother has moved to live in Toronto, my aunty in is France and my family have friends in Biarritz and Tenerife. I'd love to move somewhere but I think that I'd miss family and my football team. Also I'm not sure where I'd want to go as the prospect of learning a new language is a bit daunting and I don't fare well in the heat.