PDA

View Full Version : Storage of diecast models-input requested

tannat
11th December 2010, 23:45
As I am getting more and more into 1:18 scale in lieu of 1:43 my storage space is rapidly decreasing-I am almost at capacity at the under the bed storage location.

Next stop is the attic-which probably sees temps from 0 degrees F to beyond 100 degrees F annually :(

Bad move?

Curious what temp extremes your diecast models experience..

Cheers,

Tannat

AndySpeed
12th December 2010, 00:04
What's the point in owning models if they're kept out of sight?

tannat
12th December 2010, 00:45
What's the point in owning models if they're kept out of sight?

Mate-I fully agree :up:

But as we are currently an expanding family with very, very, ,imited storage space-I have no choice.

I do display them at work and rotate the display every other week..

Jag_Warrior
12th December 2010, 03:18
Ideally, they'd be kept in a climate controlled environment, maybe around 70 degrees year around. But I understand exactly what you're facing. From 1/18 to 1/43 scale, I have several hundred diecasts now. If I hadn't worked to overcome my "addiction" three or four years ago, I'd probably be knocking on 1000 by now. To maintain the illusion that I'm a semi-functioning adult (and pretty much without severe mental problems), I keep the majority of them stored at a vacant property I own. The temp range there is probably 30F-80F. All but a few are kept in the original packages. But on the ones that I've left out, I have noticed some degradation of the decals over the years.

It's a hard choice to make. But I would be careful about that attic, as the heat (100 degrees?!) and humidity of the summer will probably lead to heartbreak. Extreme heat and cold are bad enough. But what I try to be really careful of is humidity or any sort of moisture.

Is there any way that you can box them up (using LOTS of bubble wrap) and keep them in a friendlier environment off-site?

AndySpeed
12th December 2010, 10:58
But as we are currently an expanding family with very, very, ,imited storage space-I have no choice.

I do display them at work and rotate the display every other week..

That's alright then, as long as there is a good rotation on the go.

I suppose it's in part due to man's natural desire to collect things. Apparently it goes back to when we were a lot more primitive.

The reason I comment is not to critique, just to understand. Because at times I would view a hobby like collecting akin to video game addiction - it doesn't benefit anyone and you can waste so much on it.

I have a number of 1/18 diecast myself - about 10. But I haven't acquired a new one for 5 years so my collection is "frozen in time" at about the year 2004-2005.

schmenke
13th December 2010, 16:44
I used to collect a few, but have slowed down in the last couple of years.
Like tannat, most are in storage due to lack of display room. I have always kept mine in their original packaging and store them in cardboard boxes in our dry basement. I think it's also important to keep them away from direct sunlight.