PDA

View Full Version : don meredith

markabilly
9th December 2010, 03:27
a fun guy :(
whose crazy humor would sometime get him in trouble like the time he referred to a football flying in the air like a "wounded taco" that had been kicked by a hispanic

glauistean
9th December 2010, 03:50
whose crazy humor would sometime get him in trouble like the time he referred to a football flying in the air like a "wounded taco" that had been kicked by a hispanic

A post started by a troll waiting for others to fall for his tricks by brining up the hispanic card.

markabilly
9th December 2010, 04:15
other statements on the monday night football game, such as "welcome to mile high stadium ............and I really am" (and sounded like it for much of the game)

Or when Nixon was at a redskin game, before he had a little waterunderhisgate, and he referred to him as "tricky dick" which really got everyone using that nickname

"there is internal genocide going on" (probably when he was too high to say turmoil about some coaching-player arguments during a game)

well turn out the lights, the party's over

Tazio
9th December 2010, 04:38
Don Meredith was a great quarterback! An All American at SMU and a three time Pro Bowler for Dallas. I remember the Two NFL Championship losses to Lombardi's Green bay Packers, in '66, and '67 they were excruciating for me.
As the Original color commentator for Monday Night Football he was a riot. I loved the way he teased Howard Cosell.
BTW it was Cosell that caught heat for what was considered a racial slur for referring Alvin Garrett of the Redskins as "that little monkey"
As Meredith like to metaphorically express a game was all but over he would break into a really raunchy version Willie Nelson's "Turn out the Lights the Party's over"

Don Meredith was a genuine original world shaker!
RIP

Roamy
9th December 2010, 05:33
A post started by a troll waiting for others to fall for his tricks by brining up the hispanic card.

who cares what card you play - cards are for playing - are you trying to put your spin on every word that possibly could relate to a race??

Tazio
9th December 2010, 06:38

BTW Thanks for starting this thread I wanted to but was waiting for someone who is actually from the great state of Texas to come through. :up: :beer:

WTF?? Get a grip dude!

AAReagles
9th December 2010, 23:25
... well turn out the lights, the party's over

:up: Thanks for remembering him.

Btw... don't forget those 'Nes-tea' plunge commercials!

Tazio
10th December 2010, 02:17
Since we have an NFL topic thread it's a good excuse for me to share a vid my brother sent me earlier this week.
I'm a San Diegan our Chargers have a rivalry with the Oakland Raiders. Going into this season we had beaten them 12 or 13 consecutive times.
This season did they not only beat us twice, they bullied the snot out of us.
The second game was last Sunday. My brother lives in Alameda, and teaches school in South Berkeley.
I guess this vid was making the rounds up there :p
I received this YouTube from him in an email entitled "Boo Hoo"

9bLyjcXQmF0&feature=fvw

markabilly
12th December 2010, 16:49
A FEW FOOTBALL STORIES ABOUT DON:

The first green bay game, Packers were up 14-0 and dallas was in big trouble. Green bay scorred on its first possession with bone crunching plays down the field. On the ensuing kick off, dallas fumbles and Green bay runs the ball right up the throat and scores again.

First huddle for dallas, and instead of calling the play, Meredith just stands there, finally someone says, "well?"

Meredith says, with a so-what kind of attitude, "well, we are in a heap of f***ing ****"

the whole huddle cracks up laughing, almost a delay of game. Coach landry is furious at the dealy and laughter.

Meredith then proceeded to take the team down for two touchdowns to make the game 14-14 at end of the first quarter.

Late in the fourth quarter, 28 seconds, on 4th down, score 34-27 in favor of green bay, on the 2 yard line, Don would throw an interception the end zone, when therre was a personnel screw up as to who was to be in the game and meredith was about to be sacked. Close, very close to being in the first super bowl.

In the second champ game of 1967, the "Ice Bowl", GB would win with 16 seconds to go on a quarterback sneak. But what all have forgotten is in the last two seconds, Don would take the hand-off look for Bob Hayes down the sideline, then turn and throw the ball to lance rentzel. At the moment, he threw the ball, lance stopped running hard, because the play was called to Hayes and he was looking towards hayes. Much to his surprize, he saw the ball coming to him instead, but he could not get there to it, and it was "overthrown".

Had he not slowed to look around, he should have been there to catch it.....he would have scored, as the reason why Don threw it to him and not to Hayes, was that the sole GB defender had fallen on the ice, was still laying there some 25 yards away, face down, and everyone else had gone to hayes' side of the field, leaving lance to have an easy run to immortal football fame.......

Now, no one knows who was lance rentzel.....

Loved the video :)

Tazio
13th December 2010, 12:16
Now, no one knows who was lance rentzel.....

Loved the video :) Not everyone Billy bob!
If my mind serves me correctly he was married to Joey Heatherton

http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens1514319_1227303791JoeyHeatherton1.jpg

http://www.squidoo.com/joeyheatherton

On a related note;
Since it was before the merger at that time I had my favorite AFL Team, and my favorite NFL team .
AFL San Diego for obvious reasons, and Dallas in the NFL.
Lance Alworth IM-Informed-O was one of the greatest wide receivers to play that position in the history of the league, and I was quite pleased that at the end of his career he had the opportunity to catch a touchdown pass in a Super bowl win. I suspect you may remember which team and which Super bowl that he caught that pass in and for :dozey:

markabilly
13th December 2010, 12:58
two passes: one beautiful over the shoulder pass with the kind of grace missing from today

and then on the same drive, right at the goal line, a screaming bullet of a very short pass that could have been intercepted and returned for a TD, while he danced on the edge of the sidelines on his tiptoes at the flag.

Stunned, I was when he caught it and amazed at the timing. Again, the type of timing, route running and coordination, with the tiptoe dance, one seldom sees today. The ball was thrown as Lance made the cut with his back to Staubach, he spun around on a dime, and the incredible reaction to catch one of the most screaming passes ever from a short distance. That ball was thrown way too hard to be catchable, but he made the catch as though it was nothing.

rember one game where Lance went over the middle and his feet were knocked out from under him as he went up for the ball....as he was cartwheeling almost upside down he caught the ball, landed on his head and as he got up to run, but the referre was blowing the whistle, I think because he thought the pass had to be incomplete, or down by contact but the contact occurred before he touched the ball.....

to me, he was the example of the greatest receiver ever.......and the shame is that Bob Hayes did not have good hands, nothing like lance, cause I guess hayes dropped about 300 easy TD passes, maybe more.

Went to a Giants game with Don throwing in the old cotton bowl. Hayes caught two long td passes, but he dropped four more.....It was great, because don would go back a certain way and set, everyone knew he was going long to hayes. Crowd would go instantly silent as the ball left the hand for a couple of seconds---dead silence---.....and then there would be this moan or roar, depending on how hayes caught or did not catch the ball.

Tazio
13th December 2010, 15:21
two passes: one beautiful over the shoulder pass with the kind of grace missing from today

and then on the same drive, right at the goal line, a screaming bullet of a very short pass that could have been intercepted and returned for a TD, while he danced on the edge of the sidelines on his tiptoes at the flag.

Stunned, I was when he caught it and amazed at the timing. Again, the type of timing, route running and coordination, with the tiptoe dance, one seldom sees today. The ball was thrown as Lance made the cut with his back to Staubach, he spun around on a dime, and the incredible reaction to catch one of the most screaming passes ever from a short distance. That ball was thrown way too hard to be catchable, but he made the catch as though it was nothing.
rember one game where Lance went over the middle and his feet were knocked out from under him as he went up for the ball....as he was cartwheeling almost upside down he caught the ball, landed on his head and as he got up to run, but the referre was blowing the whistle, I think because he thought the pass had to be incomplete, or down by contact but the contact occurred before he touched the ball.....

to me, he was the example of the greatest receiver ever.......and the shame is that Bob Hayes did not have good hands, nothing like lance, cause I guess hayes dropped about 300 easy TD passes, maybe more.

Went to a Giants game with Don throwing in the old cotton bowl. Hayes caught two long td passes, but he dropped four more.....It was great, because don would go back a certain way and set, everyone knew he was going long to hayes. Crowd would go instantly silent as the ball left the hand for a couple of seconds---dead silence---.....and then there would be this moan or roar, depending on how hayes caught or did not catch the ball.

I'm impressed that you have such a high opinion of Alworth. It was common knowledge that Bob Hayes was referred to as the fastest man on the planet because he was a world champion in the 100 meter dash. Something you may not know is that Alworth was an AAU college champion in the 100 "yard" dash while competing in track at the University of Arkansas. Back then The 100 meter was run in international events and American Universities only ran the 100 yard dash. Alworth came out of Arkansas having produced a legitimate 9.4 sec 100 yard dash in competition. By the time he played for Dallas he was well past his prime which was still pretty ####ing good. "Bambi" was also recognized as possessing the best vertical leap in either league.

Another thing that I thought was rather odd (not being from the sticks) is when Lance Alworth graduated from college he was already married with two kids, which I guess at the time folk's back around Little Rock figured if you hadn't fathered any offspring by the time you were 19 you were either a g'awd-damn queer, you lost your nads in a hunting accident, or your cousins were doing what came naturally with men that weren’t direct relations ;) :D

BTW I can't say that I remember the play you were referring to, but then again I can't remember **** that happened last week either :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaQ2SF5VPjo&feature=related

markabilly
14th December 2010, 12:52
td is the first play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An7d6l1TRjQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An7d6l1TRjQ)

Can not find the over the shoulder catch that got them down the field in the super bowl

on your link, at about 4.21 mark is an over the shoulder catch similar to it though

All the things about Lance always show only charger stuff, but I have heard that Lance still says that TD catch in the super bowl was the highlight of his career--a catch made against a pro bowl cornerback, that was looking to take it away

You are lucky Jones did not buy the chargers.....

as to being upside down, that play happenned in some game when he played for dallas, maybe even preseason, but never made the highlights for whatever reason

A few years ago, SI did a study about the differences in equipment and tracks and their impact on sprint times. They concluded if those factors were taken into consideration, hayes would still hold the 100 meter record by more than half of a second running with current shoes and tracks......

when lance came to dallas, he played with Bob, but both had lost a step or two....but imagine both playing side by side in their prime?

only problem was hayes did not have the grace, hands and route running ability of Bambi....to stop Hayes, teams developed the zone defense. To stop lance if he was on the same team as Bob, in their prime, well, I think a 45 might have slowed Lance....

Tazio
14th December 2010, 17:53
td is the first play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An7d6l1TRjQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An7d6l1TRjQ)

Can not find the over the shoulder catch that got them down the field in the super bowl

on your link, at about 4.21 mark is an over the shoulder catch similar to it though

All the things about Lance always show only charger stuff, but I have heard that Lance still says that TD catch in the super bowl was the highlight of his career--a catch made against a pro bowl cornerback, that was looking to take it away

You are lucky Jones did not buy the chargers.....

as to being upside down, that play happenned in some game when he played for dallas, maybe even preseason, but never made the highlights for whatever reason

A few years ago, SI did a study about the differences in equipment and tracks and their impact on sprint times. They concluded if those factors were taken into consideration, hayes would still hold the 100 meter record by more than half of a second running with current shoes and tracks......

when lance came to dallas, he played with Bob, but both had lost a step or two....but imagine both playing side by side in their prime?

only problem was hayes did not have the grace, hands and route running ability of Bambi....to stop Hayes, teams developed the zone defense. To stop lance if he was on the same team as Bob, in their prime, well, I think a 45 might have slowed Lance....There is just not very much video of him
When Alworth was on the Chargers he was complimented by a possession receiver Gary "the ghost" Garrison.
Check out his stats. He came out of a very good college passing program at San Diego State. Those two ran up a lot of yardage.
John Hadl was a wing T quarterback in college and wasn't known as a passer out of Kansas, or Kansas St.
Sid Gilman was quite an innovator, in the same vein as Don Coryell.
Here is the only image I found of Lance Alworth and the touchdown pass in the Super bowl as a Cowboy

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/81863301.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548C39ADF172BE715AD 7714045E57258D4DEC75D90ACC3FE470

Actually I’d rather discuss That little tart Joey Heatherton. :eek:
Back then, when I was in about 8th grade,
Men my age now had the same kind of ruminations about her as I do about :s ailor: Fiona back when she was about 20 :s mokin: :D