PDA

View Full Version : I will probably be banned for this but... Footie Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Brown, Jon Brow
28th May 2011, 21:45
and Giggs was offside for ManU's goal ;)

I think Giggs was sexually frustrated all game.

donKey jote
28th May 2011, 21:46
can't imogen why :erm:

odykas
28th May 2011, 21:54
Barca are the wizards of the ball http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/~siochos/smilies/bowdown.gifhttp://www.smileys.me.uk/smileys/Banana/static19.gif http://www.smileys.me.uk/smileys/Banana/superman.gif

donKey jote
28th May 2011, 21:58
tooot el camp, es un clam,
Som la gent blaugrana,
tan se val d'on venim,
si del sud o del nord,
ara estem d'acord, estem d'acord;
una bandera ens agermana,
Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent,
tenim un nom, el sap tothom,
BARÇA!! BARÇA!! BAAAARÇA!!!! !!!

Oi! they're nicking the net!! :o

donKey jote
28th May 2011, 22:01
cheers ody !

http://www.smileys.me.uk/smileys/Banana/static19.gif http://www.smileys.me.uk/smileys/Banana/superman.gif
http://www.smileys.me.uk/smileys/Banana/superman.gif
http://www.smileys.me.uk/smileys/Banana/static19.gif http://www.smileys.me.uk/smileys/Banana/superman.gif

Brown, Jon Brow
28th May 2011, 22:04
Oi! they're nicking the net!! :o

Gives us our net back you Spanish thugs!!!!! :mad:

donKey jote
28th May 2011, 22:09
they're catalans, they'll cut it into bits and sell it :p

odykas
28th May 2011, 23:02
Credits to Sir Alex for not playing like Mou did!

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2011, 00:27
Barca aren't a very sporting team. It's not fair not letting the other team have a kick. :(

race aficionado
29th May 2011, 02:07
The best team won.

70% to 30% possession and so many more goal opportunities for Barca.

. . . . and Rooney did not get a red card - I am thankful for the lack of diving and acting as compared with other previous games. Kudos to both teams.

Dang! Now where do I get my next soccer rush?

:s mokin:

Alexamateo
29th May 2011, 04:13
The best team won.

70% to 30% possession and so many more goal opportunities for Barca.

. . . . and Rooney did not get a red card - I am thankful for the lack of diving and acting as compared with other previous games. Kudos to both teams.

Dang! Now where do I get my next soccer rush?

Gold Cup starts June 5! Copa America July 1!

race aficionado
29th May 2011, 04:28

thanks! :)

I needed that.

steveaki13
29th May 2011, 09:50

See if Messi can help Argentina win their first senior competition since 1993.

They will be desperate for it after 18 years and at home this year.

MrJan
29th May 2011, 12:25
One thing that annoyed me yesterday was Valencia and his constant fouling. None of them were dangerous but he had 4 or 5 very cynical little challenges and got away without a card for a very long time.

race aficionado
29th May 2011, 19:58
One thing that annoyed me yesterday was Valencia and his constant fouling. None of them were dangerous but he had 4 or 5 very cynical little challenges and got away without a card for a very long time.

Agreed.

I found myself screaming at the TV when that continued happening.

I like it when the ref allows to play and doesn't call every single foul but that was going on for too long.

Speaking about yelling at the TV . . . . my wife got a bit worried and asked me to calm down, I realized that by calming down all the fun was being taken away.

Suffice to say, I continued being very expressive, specially when Barca scored their goals. By the way, Villa's goal was a beautiful thing to see.

Bottom line, if you are a Barca/soccer fan, it was a fun game to see and sportsmanship was a winner here.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2011, 23:46
Bottom line, if you are a Barca/soccer fan, it was a fun game to see and sportsmanship was a winner here.

As a Man Utd fan it was a horrible 90 minutes of torture. The first half was okay and I thought Man Utd were going to turn it around when Rooney scored, but the second half was all Barca.

I remember Juventus being the benchmark in the mid 1990s and they tought Man Utd lessons in football a few times, but I think Barca are so much superior to any other team at the moment. Man Utd need some serious rebuilding of their midfield if they want to win the Champions League anytime soon.

Alfa Fan
30th May 2011, 00:02
With respect to our squad, it really needs a clear out now.

Already going: Edwin van der Sar, Owen Hargreaves,
Needs to go: Michael Owen, Anderson, Paul Scholes, Gabriel Obertan, Darron Gibson
Unsure on: Nani
Possibly going but would like to keep: Dimitar Berbatov

None of those in the "Needs to go" are going to be / still good enough for the team. Scholes is sadly past it I'm afraid, and I'm not convinced Anderson is right for the team anymore.

We need to spend some decent money on quite a few players this summer. A goalkeeper for sure is vital. We must avoid the vacuum that was left by Schmeichel. Defensively I think we are OK, plenty of cover in centre and quite versatile players (can play multiple positions at the back). At the front we need one more sticker, two if Berbatov goes.

But the midfield is the crucial area. Need a lot of changes here, a lot of players can go, or are going, and we need to bring in some quality centre mids.

steveaki13
30th May 2011, 00:27
I am an enlishman and support english football. At the start last night I hoped Man U could win, but how can anyone not have enjoyed watching barcelona play Football the way Football should be played.

No one goes into play football for the joy of hoofing it upfield, this is how any football player or fan wants to play.

By the end I couldn't want Man U to win, it would have been unjust.

donKey jote
30th May 2011, 12:01
Man Utd need some serious rebuilding of their midfield if they want to win the Champions League anytime soon.
nah, they just need Mou ;) :p :arrows:

pino
30th May 2011, 16:05
nah, they just need Mou ;) :p :arrows:

So he can ask...Por Que ???? :p :

odykas
30th May 2011, 17:10
Moo is fine where he is :dozey:

donKey jote
30th May 2011, 20:27
Shakira (http://www.elpais.com/videos/gente/tv/Shakira/celebra/Champions/Barcelona/elpepuage/20110530elpepuage_1/Ves/) is fine too... "para ya" says Piqué :laugh:

Brown, Jon Brow
30th May 2011, 22:24
I'd hate Mourinho at Man Utd. Not attacking enough.

Rollo
31st May 2011, 00:16
Swansea City 4 - Reading 2... boyo.
Swansea City have won their promotion match and go into the top flight for the first time since 1983.

I'm wondering, does that mean that Swansea now owes Chelsea extra money on the back of Scott Sinclair's transfer fee because they've been promoted? I seem to remember him kicking about in a Chelsea kit for some reason, maybe it was a Charity Shield match, I don't know.

odykas
31st May 2011, 22:03
Mou may get sacked next year, in case he fails again :D

1st June 2011, 09:43
Thanks for your article.Good luck on everything.

odykas
1st June 2011, 20:08
What a great season we had!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/151009_175126082515849_100000553744832_483036_2863 944_n.jpg

:p : :D

Storm
3rd June 2011, 15:14
Oh YES! :D welcome ody!

race aficionado
3rd June 2011, 16:39
:eek: Ody!

donKey jote
3rd June 2011, 18:45
and I can't help thinking where else that waka-hand has been recently :eek: :s ailor: :arrows: :angel: :dozey:

odykas
3rd June 2011, 21:21
Changing waka's rear tyres? http://s.rimg.info/00e119d8c02ecec8be843282281d57c2.gifhttp://www.alfisti.gr/forum/images/smilies/lipssealed.gif

Alexamateo
6th June 2011, 04:24
CONCACAF Gold Cup started today and Man U.'s Chicharito Hernandez scored a Hat Trick as Mexico routed El Salvador 5-0. It looks like it's going to be a fun month.

steveaki13
9th June 2011, 00:12
Cuba looked poor as did Grenada.

It looks like the Caribbean nations haven't been able to get on terms with the north and central american teams yet.

Maybe Jamica are the ones.

Alexamateo
9th June 2011, 14:36

Maybe Jamica are the ones.

Maybe Usain Bolt could play for them! :p

Usain Bolt: I could play for Man Utd when I retire - ESPN Soccernet (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/927021/usain-bolt:-i-could-play-for-man-utd-when-i-retire?cc=5901)

Alexamateo
23rd June 2011, 23:31
Well, the Gold Cup final is between Mexico and the US this Saturday. It's the expected matchup, but they took varied routes getting there.

The US stumbled through it's group losing for the first time in group play to Panama and struggling to score. They did get through though, and there was even a Freddy Adu sighting.

Mexico meanwhile marched it's way through with an 18-2 aggregate score with Man. U's Javier Hernandez scoring 7 goals in 5 games. They did this despite managing to get 5 players suspended for testing positive for clenbuterol (the same stuff Alberto Contador tested for). Like Contador they blamed tainted meat, and being Mexico, they may actually have a case, because despite government proclamations to the contrary, it's use by farmer's is rampant down there.

Speaking of Hernandez, I read an interview where Sir Alex Ferguson compared him to former England Player Gary Lineker, saying that he could score all sorts of odd goals be it off his shin or chest or whatever. Hernandez' seventh goal last night was like that, he scored off of a corner with kind of a pelvic thrust.

YouTube - ‪Goal Javier Hernandez Mexico 2 -0 Honduras HD‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9L-o404v8g&feature=player_detailpage)

I think he learned that move from Ryan Giggs. :p

Alexamateo
26th June 2011, 22:49
Well, Mexico beat the US 4-2 in a thrilling game in which the US jumped out to a 2-0 lead before Mexico came storming back. Hernandez didn't score but was named MVP of the tourney. The man of the match last night for me was Gio dos Santos. He had just a sublime goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsE5lJh-s5E&feature=related

Barrera scored twice last night and just had a great tournament. You watch him play and wonder why he never got in games at West Ham. Dos Santos has always had maturity issues but he might just be focusing now and get some first team action from Tottenham.

I first started following soccer seriously last year because of Chicharito, I knew he was something special. This is the group that won the U-17 World Cup in 2005 and they are coming of age now. This group can really challenge on the world stage in the future I believe.

steveaki13
26th June 2011, 23:01
A good comeback for Mexico. Next we look forward to Copa America

emporer_k
29th June 2011, 10:58
On the subject of South American football River Plate were relegated at the weekend!

steveaki13
29th June 2011, 20:50
Yes the River Plate v Belgrano second leg, ended with River being relegated for the first time in their history, and sparked mass riots on the streets, it has caused a bit of concern as Argentina start hosting the Copa America this weekend.

Here's a vid of the riots at the end of the game
YouTube - ‪River Plate vs. Belgrano 1:1 - *Full Version* Riots after the Match *Full Version*‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMk5AYi9ZSA)

Then it spilt onto the streets

YouTube - ‪Video of Buenos Aires riots as River Plate relegated 1st time ever‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za-6sPXuaYA)

race aficionado
7th July 2011, 06:16
Copa America

Argentina Vs Colombia

With Agentina's lineup I was happily surprised to see that Colombia almost took away the 3 points.

Fun well fought game.

And by the way, Brazil looked terrible on its first game.

I now officially have Copa America fever.

Very cool!

Alexamateo
8th July 2011, 22:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMGsPCAC7bM&feature=player_detailpage

If anyone has a chance to see the sub-17 World Cup semi-final between Germany and Mexico, you should see it. It was a fantastic game from start to finish at any level.

Mexico took the lead in third minute and Germany equalized a few minutes later. Germany scored to take the lead in the second half, and then Mexico tied on a goal directly off a corner kick in the 75th minute. On that same play Julio Gomez banged heads with a German defender and was carried off the field bleeding. All the subs had been used so he came back on later with his head wrapped in bandages and in a finish fit for a hokey Hollywood script scored off a bicycle kick in the 90th minute to win the game and send Mexico to the final.

It's available in its entirety on ESPN3 if you get it on the internet, check it out if you can you won't be disappointed.

N. Jones
16th July 2011, 05:01
Is there an Aston Villa fan out there who can explain to me why they sold Downing and Young? Who in the hell are they going to use to be a threat on the outside of the penalty area??

Is Randy Lerner looking to get relegated?
These are idiot moves IMO...

race aficionado
18th July 2011, 18:23
Copa America

. . . . . .

I now officially have Copa America fever.

Very cool!

Dang! Colombia is out - Argentina (Messi) is out - Brazil is out . . . . . :mad:

Hopefully some good football will come out of what is left of this cup.

Alexamateo
18th July 2011, 21:30
I think I read somewhere once that the advantage of the player versus the goalkeeper on penalty kicks is something like 80%. You wouldn't have thought that yesterday after watching Brazil and the US Women's team. :p

race aficionado
18th July 2011, 22:27
I think I read somewhere once that the advantage of the player versus the goalkeeper on penalty kicks is something like 80%. You wouldn't have thought that yesterday after watching Brazil and the US Women's team. :p

Yes . . . the goalie from Japan guessed the first two and the third one was just too much adrenaline from the US player.

I will rationalize and accept the US woman's loss (boy, there are some hotties on that team!) by recognizing that Japan needs an emotional boost and they also have a great football team.

Good for them!

Alexamateo
19th July 2011, 03:03
Naturally, I was pulling for the US, but I wasn't unhappy that the Japanese team won. It certainly means a lot to their whole country.

Brown, Jon Brow
19th July 2011, 17:02

As someone who regularly plays as a goalkeeper I have a few techniques for facing penalty kicks.

If you wait until the ball is struck before you move then by the time you react the ball will already be in the back of the net. The best thing to do is look at the shooters eyes to see where in the goal they are looking just before they run up to kick the ball. Making yourself big by waving your arms around can distract the penalty taker, but a well placed kick is usually impossible to save.

I always like to hand the ball directly to penalty taker, giving them lots of eye contact, trying to make their adrenaline boil over. ;)

Saving a penatly is just as big a thrill as scoring the winning goal.

Alexamateo
19th July 2011, 21:04
Maybe you should give Tottenham a call! :eek: ;)

MrJan
6th August 2011, 14:10
It's here!!!! Finally it's here.......and I'm sat at home having to listen on the radio :( Shame to start the season with an away game, would've been nice to spend the afternoon in the pub and then watching some football but thems the breaks. Got L1 new boys Stevenage today, it's like the good ole days of the conference again, hopefully a win to start the season but I'm not putting money on it, Exeter have a habit of starting the season slowly.

GridGirl
6th August 2011, 15:05
I drove past Elland Road today and they still have the back of one of the stands missing. Did no one tell them the season starts today?

MrJan
13th August 2011, 12:09
Well that's been an interesting week! First time we've won a League Cup game in 18 years (5 of those we were conference so not entered) and we draw Liverpool at home in the 2nd round. Then this morning we've drawn Argyle at home in the JPT!! We hadn't played them in years until last season, when we played them 3 times, and now we've got them again. Devon & Conrwall Constabulary will be rubbing their hand sthough, this game is a good money spinner for them.

JackSparrow
15th August 2011, 21:57
Messi who? Kun Aguero does it for club and country.

race aficionado
18th August 2011, 17:23
Ahhhhh . . . . finally I got to see more Spanish league footie by seeing both Barca/ Real Madrid games.

Real Madrid looked scary good and it looked like they had Barca's number but no . . . .
Messi and company took care of business.

Both these teams are going to be awesome once they get their act together.

For other forum members that follow the other countries leagues: which other club in Europe is going to give Barca and Real Madrid a dosage of their own medicine this season?

MrJan
18th August 2011, 18:39
Man U are the best English team to stand a chance against Barca. The problem is that they need to not be overcome by bthe ocassion like they seemed to be at Wembley.

Looking forward to the Exeter v Liverpool game next Wednesday. We'll lose though, we never have much luck when we're on the TV ;)

steveaki13
18th August 2011, 21:10
Man U are the best English team to stand a chance against Barca. The problem is that they need to not be overcome by bthe ocassion like they seemed to be at Wembley.

Looking forward to the Exeter v Liverpool game next Wednesday. We'll lose though, we never have much luck when we're on the TV ;)

Maybe so but its a great tie for you.

Brown, Jon Brow
18th August 2011, 22:01

Are you not looking forward to the Preston game? I heard today that Exeter are taking almost 50 fans up the M6!

donKey jote
19th August 2011, 07:57
A hell of a clásico the other day :up: :up: :up:
SuperMessi and DonkeyMou (with Marcelo and Pepe up to their usual)

Madrid have really picked up and played really well but it wasn't enough :laugh:

pino
19th August 2011, 12:15
A hell of a clásico the other day :up:
SuperMessi and DonkeyMou (with Marcelo and Pepe up to their usual)

Madrid have really picked up and played really well but it wasn't enough :laugh:

I enjoyed everything about it...especially Mourinho :laugh: :p :

MrJan
19th August 2011, 19:43
Are you not looking forward to the Preston game? I heard today that Exeter are taking almost 50 fans up the M6!

:D Of course I'm looking forward to it, 3 points is always nice. Not going meself (doing motorsport and that) but we should take a half decent following seeing as it's been a couple of weeks since the last away trip and we've got home draws in both the cups.

Sarah
11th September 2011, 16:28
Poor premiership referee again for us

MrJan
11th September 2011, 22:09
Poor premiership referee again for us

I'd be more worried about the soft goal and, judging by the early part of the highlights on MOTD2, the lack of a cutting edge when in front of goal.

Edit: And watching the penalty decision I can only assume that you weren't referring to that. Stonewaller all day, every day. Norwich aren't L1 anymore, you simply can't play like that in the premiership.

Alexamateo
17th September 2011, 14:49
Wow! Arsenal put 4 into the nets today. Too bad 2 were their own! :eek: :D :p

race aficionado
19th September 2011, 21:55
I'm a Barca fan but also like to see the Real Madrid games because of it's star players.

What's up with RM? They started the new season like gangbusters and now it is not so.

For me Mourinho's attraction to Benzema and not Higuain to start the games is not helping. Benzema misses so many chances.

On another note, my son and I were watching Chelsey Vs ManU and got a good healthy laugh with Rooney ending on the grass as he slipped and fell on his butt in front of millions of us viewing the game. Bad brake but his smile ater that was the way to go.
:)

steveaki13
19th September 2011, 22:53
I'm a Barca fan but also like to see the Real Madrid games because of it's star players.

What's up with RM? They started the new season like gangbusters and now it is not so.

For me Mourinho's attraction to Benzema and not Higuain to start the games is not helping. Benzema misses so many chances.

On another note, my son and I were watching Chelsey Vs ManU and got a good healthy laugh with Rooney ending on the grass as he slipped and fell on his butt in front of millions of us viewing the game. Bad brake but his smile ater that was the way to go.

And Torres blasting wide from about 3 yards/meters. :laugh:

donKey jote
20th September 2011, 20:38

They had a bad day, that's all.

Happened to be the day after Mourinho's sarcastic "this season the only thing we're fighting for is not to be relegated" :laugh:

Levante's fans were chanting "a segunda, oe! a segunda, oe!" :rotflmao:

race aficionado
22nd September 2011, 18:39
They had a bad day, that's all.

Happened to be the day after Mourinho's sarcastic "this season the only thing we're fighting for is not to be relegated" :laugh:

Levante's fans were chanting "a segunda, oe! a segunda, oe!" :rotflmao:

Well RM had another one of those bad days and Valencia put on the good fight - great fight really - to Barcelona.

What is Mourinho saying now Donks?

donKey jote
22nd September 2011, 20:00
did you watch the Valencia match?
It was really good, and although either could have taken it, I'm sure that had it gone on for another minute or so (the ref chickened out and blew early :p ), Cesc or Messi would have clinched it :D

As for Mou, I think he's keeping quiet until he hears his fate for gouging Barcas second trainer's eye :p

race aficionado
22nd September 2011, 21:21
did you watch the Valencia match?
It was really good, and although either could have taken it, I'm sure that had it gone on for another minute or so (the ref chickened out and blew early :p ), Cesc or Messi would have clinched it :D

As for Mou, I think he's keeping quiet until he hears his fate for gouging Barcas second trainer's eye :p

The Valencia game was awesome. I will also follow Valencia's path in the EUEFA cup.

I record every Barca and RM game and I also manage to follow ManU once in a while.

I really enjoy the EUEFA games now that I get to see and enjoy the other club teams.

race aficionado
22nd September 2011, 23:48
Uefa. . . Uefa . . . . Uefa . . .
:dozey:

steveaki13
25th September 2011, 23:08
I watched the Barcelona v Ath. Madrid match.

Barcelona put their Valencia struggles behind them and dominated. A great Messi hat trick.

race aficionado
26th September 2011, 01:07
I watched the Barcelona v Ath. Madrid match.

Barcelona put their Valencia struggles behind them and dominated. A great Messi hat trick.

Yep it was a fun match, and as for RM, Mourinho's detractors must be having a lot of fun even though RM won by a good amount of goals.

donKey jote
26th September 2011, 07:31
The "Aletti" never stood a chance against Messilona/Cesquilona, whereas RM was in serious danger of yet another mishap - 0-1 down until just before half-time :laugh:

Bolton Midnight
27th September 2011, 00:19
Man U are the best English team to stand a chance against Barca.

Err Arsenal beat them remember

and but for a dodgy Ref would have made it through at Nou Camp also

MrJan
27th September 2011, 21:43
Err Arsenal beat them remember

and but for a dodgy Ref would have made it through at Nou Camp also

But for the ref?!! I take it you missed the game, ya know, the one where Arsenal touched the ball about 4 times and otherwise got schooled.

I really don't understand your refusal to accept the quality of Man U. Hate them by all means but denying the fact that they're a good team just makes you look bitter and ridiculous. As for Arsenal, well they got made to look like children the other day and lost 8-2 in a game that could easily have seen another 8 from the home team.

Alexamateo
27th September 2011, 21:52
Speaking of Man U, they were outplayed today by Basel at Old Trafford. They were very lucky to escape with a draw. They're in third place in the group :eek:

Bolton Midnight
27th September 2011, 23:22
But for the ref?!! I take it you missed the game, ya know, the one where Arsenal touched the ball about 4 times and otherwise got schooled.

I really don't understand your refusal to accept the quality of Man U. Hate them by all means but denying the fact that they're a good team just makes you look bitter and ridiculous. As for Arsenal, well they got made to look like children the other day and lost 8-2 in a game that could easily have seen another 8 from the home team.

So you thought RvP sending off was sound? Figures though if you're a Debt Utd fan.

Last British team to beat Barca was who? he's a reminder I've already told you once, noticed you skipped that bit of my post!

ManUre of course are a great team, but without the Refs they wouldn't won half of their recent league wins, 10pts gifted to them every season, they have already been gifted 2 against Chelski. Arsenal C team / junior team were awful against the scum, but the one thing I don't get is how they managed to score 2; Bacon Face will need to get the well used chequebook out in January if they are to keep up with their noisy neighbours.

And they got shown up tonight by the giants that are Basel LoL

Brown, Jon Brow
28th September 2011, 11:01
So you thought RvP sending off was sound? Figures though if you're a Debt Utd fan.

Last British team to beat Barca was who? he's a reminder I've already told you once, noticed you skipped that bit of my post!

ManUre of course are a great team, but without the Refs they wouldn't won half of their recent league wins, 10pts gifted to them every season, they have already been gifted 2 against Chelski. Arsenal C team / junior team were awful against the scum, but the one thing I don't get is how they managed to score 2; Bacon Face will need to get the well used chequebook out in January if they are to keep up with their noisy neighbours.

And they got shown up tonight by the giants that are Basel LoL

A few points.

Man Utd were the last team to beat Barca and that was in pre-season friendly :p , on serious note, Man Utd were the last English side to beat Barca over two legs (2008).

Wah wah wah refs favour Man Utd!!!! Oh please grow up. Are these the same refs that failed to send off Ashley Cole the other week for his assault on Hernandez?

They only beat Arsenal 8-2 because it was the Arsenal youth team??? WHAT!!!! Man Utds starting 11 was just as young as Arsenals!

(I'm not going to comment on the Basel game :dozey :)

Bolton Midnight
28th September 2011, 14:44
Friendlies count for nowt, Arsenal were the last team to beat Barca - FACT.

When ManUre collapse under their massive debts will you all switch to City, glory chasing plastics!

Youth team / reserves, Arsenal A team beat scum last season.

MrJan
28th September 2011, 18:38

I'm an Exeter City fan, we've got very little debt because we went into administration a few years back so can't get much in the way of credit. I appreciate the football that Man United play, much in the same way that I admire the football played by Arsenal, Barcelona etc. etc. Even Chelsea can sometimes string together a nice bit of play, although more often than not it's a bit ugly (albeit successful).

Can't really remember the RvP thing, I was a bit pissed and in a hostel where all the people were supporting Barcelona (because it was in Barcelona :D ). What I do remember is that Arsenal were being completely bossed, much like they were at the Emirates when Barca failed to kill off the game when they should have.

All irrelevant though, the Arsenal that beat Barcelona last season isn't the same one that is playing now. Therefore I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Man United are the strongest team that the EPL can offer.

Bolton Midnight
28th September 2011, 20:21
I'm an Exeter City fan, we've got very little debt because we went into administration a few years back so can't get much in the way of credit. I appreciate the football that Man United play, much in the same way that I admire the football played by Arsenal, Barcelona etc. etc. Even Chelsea can sometimes string together a nice bit of play, although more often than not it's a bit ugly (albeit successful).

Can't really remember the RvP thing, I was a bit pissed and in a hostel where all the people were supporting Barcelona (because it was in Barcelona :D ). What I do remember is that Arsenal were being completely bossed, much like they were at the Emirates when Barca failed to kill off the game when they should have.

All irrelevant though, the Arsenal that beat Barcelona last season isn't the same one that is playing now. Therefore I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Man United are the strongest team that the EPL can offer.

Figured you didn't know what you were talking about re the whole ref thing but thanks at least for admitting as much. Of course Arsenal beat Barca at the Emirates and as you say were outplayed at Nou Camp, but had RvP not been sent off we'd have scraped through.

EPL matches City > Utd, after last night in CL nobody is doing well, probably a toss up between Chelsea and Arsenal for best Brits at the mo.

Arsenal currently leading in their match, Chelski drawing.

Bolton Midnight
29th September 2011, 16:05
BBC Sport - Top names react to Carlos Tevez's apparent refusal to play (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15094214.stm)

Must admit I'd play him against Blackburn and if he played well just forget it, but if he didn't then suspend him without pay.

MrJan
29th September 2011, 18:33
Tevez always gives his all when he's on the pitch, which is more than can be said of some Man City players. Personally I'm actually leaning towards Tevez's description of what happened, we all know he can barely speak English so it's not unreasonable to think that he might have misunderstood what was being asked of him or miscommunicated his opinion.

Bolton Midnight
30th September 2011, 04:55
Bound to happen when you have 4 star strikers to pick from (not to mention Adebawhore and Santa Cruz), none are going to be too happy about not being picked and if they were you have to question their motivation.

Managing all those egos at City won't be easy and Mancini isn't up to it.

GridGirl
30th September 2011, 10:24
I heard from a source very close to Manchester City that Yaya Toure has it written into his contract that Mancini isn't allowed to substitute him unless he gets injured. There is some substance to the rumour as he never gets substituted. Even when he's playing rubbish and especially when he was quite unfit last year he was never taken off. Maybe Tevez spat the dummy out after becoming frustrated with other players contracts?

Bolton Midnight
30th September 2011, 10:46
It'll end in tears, just doesn't work getting in 25 mega stars. This is not a computer game.

Brown, Jon Brow
30th September 2011, 10:52
It'll end in tears, just doesn't work getting in 25 mega stars. This is not a computer game.

The key difference between City and United.

At United all the players know that Fergie is in charge and if you fall out of line then you are out of the club. Doesn't matter if you are Beckham or Van Nistelrooy or Stam.

Bolton Midnight
30th September 2011, 10:55
Scholes refused to play at United though.

But agree managers like SAF will be better at dealing with the players tantrums than Mancini.

Alexamateo
30th September 2011, 13:41
Isn't it interesting that the Premier League's two top scorers from last year both are unable to get playing time this year?

MrJan
1st October 2011, 10:41
The difference between United and City is that Fergie has built (and rebuilt) a team, Mancini has built a list. The man's a penis but I have a huge amount of respect for the way that Siralex has managed to reinvent that team on so many ocassions. You wouldn't have thought that making the changes he did over the summer would result in such a strong team starting the season.

Bolton Midnight
4th October 2011, 17:08
BBC News - Premier League games can be shown on foreign decoders (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241)

Lousada
5th October 2011, 11:22
BBC News - Premier League games can be shown on foreign decoders (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241)

This won't help the average person much. Yes you can import foreign decoders, but at the same time they effictively ban the country-for-country sale of tv-rights. So at the next contract BSkyB will just buy the full European rights, will set-up a pan-european pay-channel at uniform prices and nothing changed...

Bolton Midnight
5th October 2011, 15:34
Can't see the folk in Greece, Bulgaria etc paying same as Germany / Britain so it will help folk.

Lousada
6th October 2011, 17:35
Can't see the folk in Greece, Bulgaria etc paying same as Germany / Britain so it will help folk.

Or the folk in Greece/Bulgaria just won't get to see any Premier League...

Bolton Midnight
23rd October 2011, 17:03
1-6 ha ha

bet the glory chasing plastics will be switching to City now

choked on their prawn sandwiches

1-6 drubbed ha ha

Alexamateo
23rd October 2011, 19:07
What was Arsenal doing playing at Old Trafford today? :p

Bolton Midnight
23rd October 2011, 19:21
No no, Arsenal won, soon be up to 4th

RvP player of the season (so far)

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd October 2011, 20:21
:bigcry:

Bolton Midnight
23rd October 2011, 21:14
So many of the plastics left OT early, well guess Hampshire is quite a long way, wonder if MU will offer free tickets from the South for their fans?

Rollo
23rd October 2011, 22:57
Man City 6 - Man Utd 1 = Liverpool's season over.

What?

Man City are now on 25 points, whilst Liverpool who managed a draw with Man Utd (notwithstanding that Evra handballed on the line and the referee did NOTHING), pathetically drew with Norwich which put them to 15.
The gap is 10 points.

10 points is almost a mythical, magical, mystery number from which no team has ever clawed back, except for one side... Manchester United who managed to make up the deficit of 11 points to Liverpool of all clubs back in 1996/97. That though is the only exception ever since the Football League began in 1888.

I think that this is the earliest that I've declared season over for Liverpool in all the time I've been watching football, and I suspect that it's the earliest that it's happened in my lifetime.

555-04Q2
24th October 2011, 11:22
Boy: "Hello!"

Girl: "Hiya!"

Boy: "Can I F#@* you 6 times in 90 minutes?"

Girl: "WTF, do you think I am Manchester United?"

Bolton Midnight
24th October 2011, 15:03
Man City 6 - Man Utd 1 = Liverpool's season over.

What?

Man City are now on 25 points, whilst Liverpool who managed a draw with Man Utd (notwithstanding that Evra handballed on the line and the referee did NOTHING), pathetically drew with Norwich which put them to 15.
The gap is 10 points.

10 points is almost a mythical, magical, mystery number from which no team has ever clawed back, except for one side... Manchester United who managed to make up the deficit of 11 points to Liverpool of all clubs back in 1996/97. That though is the only exception ever since the Football League began in 1888.

I think that this is the earliest that I've declared season over for Liverpool in all the time I've been watching football, and I suspect that it's the earliest that it's happened in my lifetime.

On that basis Liverpool's season was over on the first day, that had no chance of winning the league, ever.

For the foreseeable future they have no chance, it is and always will be between Debt U, Chelsea, Arsenal and now Man City.

Their only hope is that Chelsea or Arsenal falter and they can scrape 4th, ditto Spurs.

donKey jote
24th October 2011, 17:47
Hannover beat Bayern again :D :D

Rollo
24th October 2011, 20:21
On that basis Liverpool's season was over on the first day, that had no chance of winning the league, ever.

At the end of the first day, the most that any team can be ahead of any other team is only 3 points, so "on that basis" no.
On that basis, the earliest you could declare a season over is after teams have played four league games.

MrJan
24th October 2011, 21:12
So many of the plastics left OT early, well guess Hampshire is quite a long way, wonder if MU will offer free tickets from the South for their fans?

Let me get this right. You support Arsenal and are calling United fans plastic? Do you know how may Arse shirts there are when I play 6 a-side in Exeter? One of the lads in our team is from Sheffield, a city with two perfectly decent teams, yet he chooses Arsenal because of their success a decade ago. He is in no way alone either, there are easily as many Arsenal shirts around town as there are Manure or Chelski.

And even putting that aside you're championing Man City, a team who have reached their current heights by being the plaything of some rich Arab...arguably a far worse way to become wealthy than the way that Utd have. If you are going to pick reasons to hate a team then you should at least be consistent and hate other teams that are guilty of the same thing.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th October 2011, 21:30
Man Utd had worldwide supporters long before their 1990s success because of the Munich disaster.

Bolton Midnight
24th October 2011, 22:07
At the end of the first day, the most that any team can be ahead of any other team is only 3 points, so "on that basis" no.
On that basis, the earliest you could declare a season over is after teams have played four league games.

No, Liverpool had zero chance of winning the league 1 second after first game started, or 5 seconds before last game ends - they have no chance whenever.

To say their season is over only now because they are 10pts behind is delusional at best, they were never going to win the league even if King Kenny did spunk 100m on new players they are not going to win the league.

Bolton Midnight
24th October 2011, 22:11
Let me get this right. You support Arsenal and are calling United fans plastic? Do you know how may Arse shirts there are when I play 6 a-side in Exeter? One of the lads in our team is from Sheffield, a city with two perfectly decent teams, yet he chooses Arsenal because of their success a decade ago. He is in no way alone either, there are easily as many Arsenal shirts around town as there are Manure or Chelski.

And even putting that aside you're championing Man City, a team who have reached their current heights by being the plaything of some rich Arab...arguably a far worse way to become wealthy than the way that Utd have. If you are going to pick reasons to hate a team then you should at least be consistent and hate other teams that are guilty of the same thing.

Not really sure what you are trying to get at here, I have supported Arsenal since 1978 pre Graham and Wenger when a FA cup win was about as good as it got.

Yes I am sure there are plastic Gooners and there now will be plastic Man C fans.

I hate United because their players, fans are arrogant, they cheat and get away with all the time, even in their 1-6 drubbing there was at least one clear cut penalty denied (Anderson) - cheating scum.

I am enjoying City out spending Debt Utd what goes around and all that.

Bolton Midnight
24th October 2011, 22:11
Man Utd had worldwide supporters long before their 1990s success because of the Munich disaster.

I'd lay off the glue if I were you!

MrJan
24th October 2011, 22:28
Ha! An Arsenal fan accusing another Premiership team of cheating and being arrogant :rotflmao: Are you telling me that you don't find Sergio Aguero or Mario Bellotelli arrogant? And the money that Citeh have spent over the last few years is just mind blowing, well in excess of what United have had a go at. The wages are ludicrous and the debt of Citeh is probably already beyond what United owe, it's just stupid.

Wasn't calling you a plastic neccessarily, just pointing out that you shouldn't be so quick to complain. I've been to the Emirates and I've been to OT. Both times the visiting team were Blackburn and both times the home team won comfortably after going behind (Arse 6-1, Manure 4-1). OT was stand out in terms of atmosphere though, The Emirates have that whole plastic tier for the prawn sandwich brigade that is just dire.

Bolton Midnight
24th October 2011, 22:33
Ballotelli is just a scream not sure re arrogance but he's a nutter, makes Jens seem sane. Debt Utd get gifted about 10pts every season, with decent Refs they wouldn't have won 19 no way, but it is law that they always get decisions their way.

I know and it makes me laugh to see Fergie's chequebook football beaten by their noisy neighbours. United are £700m in debt and rising, more than City or Chelscum AFAIK.

Emirates is for corporate types, away matches for real fans.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th October 2011, 23:23
I'd lay off the glue if I were you!

If you can't accept the facts!

Sure, they have a lot of fans due to them being successful, but they have always been a popular club. Munich is a big reason for that, along with iconic players such as George Best and David Beckham. But also because they have always played attractive attacking football.

Another thing, I don't understand why some fans have to 'hate' their rival teams. I mean it's a sport FFS!! I've heard stories from the past when rival supporters could stand in the terraces intermingled with one another.

BDunnell
24th October 2011, 23:28
Another thing, I don't understand why some fans have to 'hate' their rival teams. I mean it's a sport FFS!! I've heard stories from the past when rival supporters could stand in the terraces intermingled with one another.

For me, one of the most depressing things about these forums was discovering that some people apply the same behaviour to motorsport — something I had never even considered for a moment.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th October 2011, 23:36
For me, one of the most depressing things about these forums was discovering that some people apply the same behaviour to motorsport — something I had never even considered for a moment.

It is very sad.

I expect it in F1, but in the BTCC!

Bolton Midnight
24th October 2011, 23:43
If you can't accept the facts!

Sure, they have a lot of fans due to them being successful, but they have always been a popular club. Munich is a big reason for that, along with iconic players such as George Best and David Beckham. But also because they have always played attractive attacking football.

It is not a fact though is it, it is just a loony opinion.

Liverpool pre Fergie were much more famous worldwide, did they have an air crash too, oh no they didn't, complete BS. Did Bradford become more famous after the fire, no they didn't, Munich has sod all to do with their globalisation, their success maybe, players maybe but it is mainly down to one thing - marketing and that is all. They are a global brand nowt to do with a disaster from 50 years ago.

They don't play half as attractive football as Arsenal or Barca and they are not popular they are the most hated team within the UK now that is a fact. And why because they are cheats and a lot of their fans clueless glory chasing plastics.

Spurs are my team's rivals and I don't hate them 1% of the hate I feel for Scum Utd they have ruined the game by making it all about chequebooks and not skill and that is why I am enjoying Man City out chequebooking them with such relish, karma and all that. Not to mention Bacon Face balling out officials if it doesn't go his own way.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/235/safje.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/safje.jpg/)

BDunnell
24th October 2011, 23:48
It is very sad.

I expect it in F1, but in the BTCC!

I was actually thinking about F1, a sport I had no idea was afflicted by such things. Maybe I'm old-fashioned in my enthusiasm.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th October 2011, 23:51
Chelsea and Man City are only where they are now thanks to billionaire owners. Chelsea in particular were on the brink of administration and a Leeds United-esque decline before Roman arrived.

Man Utd became wealthy due to being successful. Prize money, international TV rights, filling the stadium, shirt sales. What is wrong with that? It's sad that Glazer is doing his best to destroy it.

Bolton Midnight
24th October 2011, 23:51
I was actually thinking about F1, a sport I had no idea was afflicted by such things. Maybe I'm old-fashioned in my enthusiasm.

Watkins Glen folk like you would end up in the swamp ha ha

no harm in a bit of banter, man up FFS

Brown, Jon Brow
24th October 2011, 23:53

Well I can understand why Ferrari fans would dislike McLaren, why British fans hated Schumacher and why Brazilians/Spanish boo Hamilton. But I've never understood how someone would hate a particular BTCC team.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th October 2011, 23:57
Watkins Glen folk like you would end up in the swamp ha ha

no harm in a bit of banter, man up FFS

There is a difference between banter and people making jokes about Munich, Hillsborough, Heysel etc

Bolton Midnight
24th October 2011, 23:59
Chelsea and Man City are only where they are now thanks to billionaire owners. Chelsea in particular were on the brink of administration and a Leeds United-esque decline before Roman arrived.

Man Utd became wealthy due to being successful. Prize money, international TV rights, filling the stadium, shirt sales. What is wrong with that? It's sad that Glazer is doing his best to destroy it.

They did win stuff prior to their sugar daddies you know?

Less success than Liverpool who nearly went bankrupt last season so nope that's not it. Gate receipts pfft. Shirt sales to plastics who want to be part of a bit of success because they are clueless yes. TV money yes but all sod all to do with Munich like you said.

The Arsenal way is the correct way. Self sustaining, total football come the FFP rules they will rule the world, if UEFA have any balls that is, which they don't.

Bolton Midnight
25th October 2011, 00:00
There is a difference between banter and people making jokes about Munich, Hillsborough, Heysel etc

Who's making any jokes about it, you were the one who rather foolishly raised it. And then started to try and pretend you hadn't.

facepalm

BDunnell
25th October 2011, 00:07

And between banter and mindless, inarticulate hatred.

Brown, Jon Brow
25th October 2011, 00:07
Who's making any jokes about it, you were the one who rather foolishly raised it. And then started to try and pretend you hadn't.

facepalm

Nobody on here. I never said that anyone on here had. But surely you are aware that people in the real world do make such jokes?

Bolton Midnight
25th October 2011, 00:17
Nobody on here. I never said that anyone on here had. But surely you are aware that people in the real world do make such jokes?

Yep usually within 30 minutes of them happening now thanks to txt, faceache, twitter etc. Am pretty sure there are already Side Show Bob jokes doing the rounds outside of motor enthusiasts.

Don't mind the ones about folk like the Pope, Wacko Jacko, OJ Simpson etc as they are famous their very existence relies on them being in the headlines but yep poor taste when it is ordinary Joes.

Bolton Midnight
25th October 2011, 00:18
And between banter and mindless, inarticulate hatred.

You should be able to spot the difference, don't be such a big girls blouse.

Rollo
25th October 2011, 00:51
Football in England was always huge. The "White Horse" FA Cup Final had an official crowd of 126,000 though i have seen estimates for more than a quarter of a million. Football always attracted big crowds in England.
Man United had their record home attendance at Maine Rd, just after the war because Old Trafford was being repaired due to war damage.

Also, because of the BBC World Service, results were probably flying around the world as part of their news bulletins since about the since about 1945.

Generally most clubs had their record attendances before 1970 whilst there was still terraces and really before the advent of television and MoTD. Mostly I'd suggest that was because you could physically (and legally) pack more people into the grounds.

The first real glimpse of the sort of what televsion would/could do to the game happened on the last day of the 1988/89 season when Liverpool played Arsenal at home and threw away the title with seconds to spare in extra time. Michael Thomas scored the goal at the Anfield Rd end.

Bolton Midnight
25th October 2011, 01:00
The first real glimpse of the sort of what televsion would/could do to the game happened on the last day of the 1988/89 season when Liverpool played Arsenal at home and threw away the title with seconds to spare in extra time. Michael Thomas scored the goal at the Anfield Rd end.

So famous they made a film about it - Fever Pitch with Mr Darcy

Debt Utd have done a better job of their marketing that is all; sod all to do with a plane crash. Liverpool are still more successful (but for how long who knows), Arsenal play better football, Man C have more money.

But Debt Utd are still the biggest bunch of see you next Tuesday s going as are so many of their clueless glory chasing fake nylon shirt wearing fans where ever they may reside.

So funny watching them get drubbed by their noisy neighbours, one of my highlights of the year so far, a real warm glow :-)

And looking likely they'll get 2nd in their group (if that) for CL so we'll see them get another lesson from Barca ha ha.

Alexamateo
25th October 2011, 04:33
Well as someone who has only been following England football for a year, I will say that I started following it because Manchester United signed a charismatic young Mexican, and Santa just might bring my little boy a Manchester United Shirt with Chicharito on the back. I guess I'm a plastic living in Memphis TN. :p . ManU should sign Brek Shea next, I'd bet they would sell thousands more.

Rollo
25th October 2011, 12:39
Chelsea and Man City are only where they are now thanks to billionaire owners.

On Saturday, MUFC's back five cost more than MCFC... £29.1 million for Ferdinand remember?

I refer you to the famous racial discrimination case of Pot vs Kettle.

Lousada
25th October 2011, 12:51

No Man Utd became wealthy because the TV-rights are decided in such a way that big clubs get more than small clubs. So every year they get 25 million more than the last premier league club.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66/BliksemSchigt/Screenshot2011-07-06at112739AM.png

Although it's still better than Spain. No wonder Barcelona and Real Madrid are always 30 points ahead at the end of the year...
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66/BliksemSchigt/Screenshot2011-07-06at112824AM.png

And look at the Champions League, Man Utd nets more money than Barcelona!
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66/BliksemSchigt/Screenshot2011-08-18at21310PM.png
And, just for fun, look at the money that is distributed in the Europa League. Winners FC Porto collected a whooping 7.8 million.

Bolton Midnight
25th October 2011, 14:07
I guess I'm a plastic living in Memphis TN.

Very much so, but not to worry the vast majority of Debt Utd fans have never been to Manchester let alone Old Trout farm.

On Saturday, MUFC's back five cost more than MCFC... £29.1 million for Ferdinand remember?

Yep this is what makes it so much fun to watch one chequebook team beaten by another. Fergie hasn't relied on his skill since he left Aberdeen.

MrJan
25th October 2011, 19:50

What about the rest of the team? ;)

I'm interested in what success BM thinks Man City had before their sugar daddies. I know that they got promoted from Div 2 and Div 1...but that's only because they ended up there in the first place.

And I'd also like to see the balance sheets that show Arsenal to be promoting self-sustaining football!! Also a nice assertion that they play better football. While I'll admit that Arsenal do play a very pretty and enjoyable style it's not exactly scintilating...I mean you're far more likely to get an exciting game at OT than at the Emirates. And shirley the better football is the more successful football?

Bolton Midnight
26th October 2011, 03:38
Did you see the team the scum fielded against Aldershot tonight, well over £100m to play Aldershot FFS.

Re City - From Wikipedia, wasn't difficult was it?

League
Football League First Division (first tier)[90]
Winners (2): 1936–37, 1967–68
Runners-up (3): 1903–04, 1920–21, 1976–77
Football League Second Division / Football League First Division (second tier)
Winners (7): (record): 1898–99, 1902–03, 1909–10, 1927–28, 1946–47, 1965–66, 2001–02
Runners-up (4): 1895–96, 1950–51, 1988–89, 1999–2000
Football League Third Division / Football League Second Division (third tier)
Play-off winners: 1998–99
Cup
FA Cup
Winners (5): 1904, 1934, 1956, 1969, 2011
Runners-up (4): 1926, 1933, 1955, 1981
League Cup
Winner (2): 1970, 1976
Runners-up (1): 1974
Charity Shield
Winners (3): 1937, 1968, 1972
Runners-up (5): 1934, 1956, 1969, 1973, 2011
Full Members Cup
Runners-up (1): 1986
European
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
Winners (1): 1970

Google will have the latest balance sheet / shareholders report but safe to say that they are well ahead of schedule paying off Ashburton and managed that whilst still being in Champions League and contention for League FA carling cup etc.

Relying on the Ref to gift you a penalty or 10 extra minutes of extra time is hardly enthralling. Hoofing it up route one may get a result but is crap to watch.

What has Shirley got to do with owt?

MrJan
26th October 2011, 18:57
All those stats prove is that City hadn't done anything of note in the 2 decades preceeding their new owners....other than the time that they spent out of the Premiership around the turn of the century.

As for the accounts that are released...well I'm sat on the lav as I write this and I'm probably producing more reliable information ;) :D

Incidentally this is because I'm of the opinion that at least 80 of the 92 league clubs are operating at a loss (before taking into account the director's loans etc.). Football just isn't a good business to be in.

Bolton Midnight
26th October 2011, 19:17
Let me spell this out to you as you seem to struggle reading

4 times FA Cup winners
2 times League Cup winners
3 times Charity Shield winners
1 times UEFA Cup winners
2 times top flight league winners

All pre moneybags, follow that? Granted it is not as impressive a record as debt U, Arsenal, Liverpool but it's nothing to be ashamed of, only a complete pillock would say they never won anything prior to being rich.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/results-for-the-year-ended-31-may-2011

Again only a complete pillock would think Arsenal are not being run prudently.

If 80 aren't then 12 are, doh!

Brown, Jon Brow
26th October 2011, 19:40
RE Arsenal and attractive football.

Maybe for the past decade they have played nice football. But in the 90's I remember the 'Boring Boring Arsenal' chants as they were a team set up to defend.

Rollo
26th October 2011, 20:33
RE Arsenal and attractive football.

Maybe for the past decade they have played nice football. But in the 90's I remember the 'Boring Boring Arsenal' chants as they were a team set up to defend.

Nick Hornby even writes about that in Fever Pitch.
Arsenal's previous stadium was nicknamed "Highbury the Library" because the fans made such little noise at home games.
Highbury was the only stadium that I know which has had a murder mystery set in it.

MrJan
26th October 2011, 21:05
Let me spell this out to you as you seem to struggle reading

4 times FA Cup winners
2 times League Cup winners
3 times Charity Shield winners
1 times UEFA Cup winners
2 times top flight league winners

All pre moneybags, follow that? Granted it is not as impressive a record as debt U, Arsenal, Liverpool but it's nothing to be ashamed of, only a complete pillock would say they never won anything prior to being rich.

But all the ones of note are over 30 years old! You can't seriously be linking that 'pre-moneybags' success to the current crop of over paid imports? At face value they were successful before the rich boys got involved, but it was so long ago that it really doesn't help any of your arguments.

And I'm aware that 92-80=12...but those rough figures were merely to highlight how big I think the problem is within the sport. And no Arsenal aren't one of the ones that I believe are run right, I don't think any club with a recently built stadium can be said to be in good financial health.

Bolton Midnight
26th October 2011, 21:32
Aye under GG it was a tad dull but Boring Boring Arsenal pre dates GG, but somebody said on here the results were all that matters (glory chaser no doubt).

Emirates isn't any better, too many corporate prawn sandwiches and stewards, thanks to ManUre.

And don't forget the renaming of a tube station and televised matches, Arsenal were trail blazers.

I said they had won stuff in the past, they have - FACT

If you don't think Arsenal are run right financially then you've really no idea what you are talking about. They are the model the rest must follow, UEFA have said as much several times, but hey what would they know compared with a ManUre loving Exeter fan ;-)

Storm
29th October 2011, 07:03
Nick Hornby even writes about that in Fever Pitch.

I read that a few weeks ago...and yes apparently they were the dullest team about...Bolton or Stoke of the 70s,80s I guess.
I have only ever seen them in the Wenger era, what with satellite tv co-inciding with the Premier League. on recent news, I missed the 6-1 mauling but that put a smile on my face alright (not that I want City to dominate with all their money, but its good to see you-know-who suffer for a change)

Alexamateo
29th October 2011, 18:46
How 'bout them Arsenal boys! Great game! Man U won albeit not convincingly, but I'm always happy when Hernandez scores.

pino
30th October 2011, 07:27
Inter -Juventus 1-2 Yes I've been waiting this for years :bounce:

Alexamateo
6th November 2011, 03:12
Awfully nice of Wes Brown to remember his former coach's 25th anniversary! :p

And on the home front, Alexamateo Jr. (age 5) netted 7 goals :cool: in an 11-3 win in his little kindergarten league. (no keeper, short field, 9' wide goal)

odykas
7th November 2011, 18:51
Juventus is doing really well this year.

Maybe Conte is a good coach, maybe I should search elsewhere ... :p :

pino
7th November 2011, 19:03
Juventus is doing really well this year.

Maybe Conte is a good coach, maybe I should search elsewhere ... :p :

Yes Juve is doing well, Conte is a good coach and you should search elsewhere...Real ? :p :

Alexamateo
12th November 2011, 19:14
Really enjoyed the England-Spain Match, Good win for England.

Over here, Man City and Man U carried their rivalry over to the New World. Manchester City defender Kolarov and the rest his Serbian teammates were really beating up on United's Hernandez. Kolarov picked up a second yellow fouling Hernandez in the box and Chicharito slotted home the penalty to give Mexico the 2-0 win.

Bolton Midnight
18th November 2011, 23:48
Was well shocked England won against Spain, they seem to be a bit off at the mo.

Blater really has past his best if he ever had a best!

Nice to see City recording massive losses yet again, FFP can't come soon enough.

Alexamateo
23rd November 2011, 00:09
Looks like Man City may be headed to the Europa league, Ouch!

Brown, Jon Brow
27th November 2011, 12:16
So Newcastle draw with Man Utd after getting a dodgy penalty. Who said that Man Utd don't get penaties against them at Old Trafford? What a load of BS.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th November 2011, 12:32
RIP Gary Speed.

He was just on Football focus yesterday. :(

MrJan
27th November 2011, 13:01
RIP Gary Speed.

He was just on Football focus yesterday. :(

Genuinely shocked when I found this out. Rumoured to have taken his own life, yet another top level sportsman who seems to have had problems with depression.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th November 2011, 23:39
BBC Sport - Swansea crowd pay tribute to Gary Speed (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15910765.stm)

Very moving.

pino
2nd December 2011, 18:15
Euro 2012 group stage draw:

Group A: Poland, Greece, Russia, Czech Republic

Group B: Holland, Denmark, Germany, Portugal

Group C: Spain, Republic of Ireland, Croatia, Italy

Group D: Ukraine, France, Sweden, England

donKey jote
2nd December 2011, 18:34
cool... so Spain and Ireland progress ;) :D :bandit:

Storm
6th December 2011, 05:46
Group B sounds wunderbar to watch :p :

donks, amped up for this week-end?

pino
6th December 2011, 07:59
Looking forward to the El Classico...Forza Barca ! :D

odykas
6th December 2011, 21:40
Olympoo - Arse-nal 3 -1 :p :

But not enough :(

donKey jote
6th December 2011, 22:38
Group B sounds wunderbar to watch :p :

donks, amped up for this week-end?

yep, although I think Moudrid have a slight advantage this time :)

race aficionado
7th December 2011, 16:33
yep, although I think Moudrid have a slight advantage this time :)

Somebody give Donks a fish!!!! :p

odykas
7th December 2011, 17:12
Go Barca :D

Alexamateo
7th December 2011, 23:34
Well, Fergie's never won a Europa title, maybe he wants to add that to his collection. :p

Storm
10th December 2011, 18:56
^haha

2 hours to go till kick-off..its bloody past midnight here and I have no beer.
you guys awake? no wait.. its only 10pm your time donkeey!

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 19:03
cheers storm, I almost forgot ! :crazy: :arrows: :eek:

will you be watching live?

pino
10th December 2011, 20:20
Ready in front of my 42 inches full HD Sony and a dozen of Xmas Premium Danish Beers...Forza Barca !!! :beer:

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 20:21
Go pino ! :D

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 20:22
hey, any chance of activating the chat? :p

pino
10th December 2011, 20:25
hey, any chance of activating the chat? :p

Sorry but I prefere to focus on the game ;)

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 20:27
party pooper :p

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 20:59
gogoogogoooooo :D

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 21:01
unbelievable :eek: :crazy: :laugh:

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 21:02
what the **** was that? :o

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 21:14
another mistake from valdes :dozey:

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 21:25
phew, cristiano shoots wide...

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 21:30
MESIIIIII + Alexiiiissss :D :D :D

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 21:31
we got a game again :D

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 22:10
Yeeesss :D :D :D

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 22:11
1-2 :D
both proper goals from barsa :D :D

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 22:13
valdes almost gives it to benzema again :p

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 22:22
phew real forgive again... three alone to head vs valdes :eek:

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 22:23
:D :D :D
super cesc :D
1-3

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 22:39
Iniesta is bloody good

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 22:41
villa for alexis...
vamos maravilla :D

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 22:42
phew valdes...

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 22:43
phew casillas :p

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 22:46
Iniesta is running rings around a stationary madrid :crazy:

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 22:47
Pedro for Iniesta...
vamos Pedrito :D

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 22:53
Barsa turn it around and beat the best Madrid at home 1-3 :eek: :D :D :D :D

pino
10th December 2011, 22:56
Por Qué ? :p :

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 23:00
He's usually quite modest when he loses badly against Barcelona... or is that only when they let in more than 5 goals? :)

donKey jote
10th December 2011, 23:23
Mou is being fair and balanced (apart from saying Messi should have been sent off :p ). Not much choice after his team's display today. :D

Alexamateo
11th December 2011, 00:45
Well, I thought Real was ready to challenge Barca this year the way they have jumped out, but no, Barca's still in their heads.

race aficionado
11th December 2011, 05:30
I had to record the game and I just saw it without knowing the final score beforehand (nor venturing into this thread) - and it was well worth it. :)

Donks - enjoy your fish pie. :D

Bravo Barca!!!!

Storm
11th December 2011, 09:39
Yes! :D Well worth staying up till 0430!

I can't believe how well Cesc has fit in (yes he is an ex academy but still) plus he has brought a weapon from the English league...his heading ability and Alves is fantastic...only sore point is why Villa did not start. I think he may be off next season.

odykas
11th December 2011, 10:48
Real and Mou got what they deserved (again) :D

http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/banana133.gif http://www.msnheaven.com/content/emoticons/54/banana122.gif http://www.msnheaven.com/content/emoticons/54/banana132.gif

donKey jote
11th December 2011, 11:05
Real and Mou got what they deserved (again) :D

http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/banana133.gif

http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/banana133.gif http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/banana133.gif http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/banana133.gif

pino
11th December 2011, 11:30
Yes! :D Well worth staying up till 0430!

...only sore point is why Villa did not start. I think he may be off next season.

Villa did not start because Alexis is a lot better believe me ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
11th December 2011, 13:11
Real Madrid didn't look like scoring in the second half.

Bolton Midnight
17th December 2011, 15:13
I can't believe how well Cesc has fit in plus he has brought a weapon from the English league...his heading ability

Arsenal DNA see

Arsenal FC - 125 years - Celebrations - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1IHQ7Arl0I&feature=share)

FaF watching bacon face make an ass of himself
BBC Sport - Ferguson laughs off 'struggling in Europe' question (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15853955.stm)

Even funnier
BBC Sport - Early Champions League exit could cost Man Utd £20m (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16084594.stm)
couldn't happen to a nicer bunch

Bolton Midnight
17th December 2011, 15:51
FIFA threaten Swiss ban | Switzerland Football Team News, Fixtures, Results | Sky Sports (http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/13958/7382468/FIFA-threaten-Swiss-ban)

corrupt to the core and look who would benefit - surprise surprise wonder how big a bung Taggart gave them this time?

Brown, Jon Brow
17th December 2011, 18:41
FIFA threaten Swiss ban | Switzerland Football Team News, Fixtures, Results | Sky Sports (http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/13958/7382468/FIFA-threaten-Swiss-ban)

corrupt to the core and look who would benefit - surprise surprise wonder how big a bung Taggart gave them this time?

As a Man Utd fan I would obviously be delighted if we were re-instated into the competion at the expense of FC Basle. But I don't really see why Bayern Munich can't be given a bye into the round.

Bolton Midnight
18th December 2011, 09:02
It would be a complete farce if Debt Utd got back in through this blatant cheat, has nothing to do with Basel who got in on merit alone.

steveaki13
19th December 2011, 13:18
Watched Barca play Santos yesterday and win the world club cup again.

I have watched most Barcelona games for the last 2 or 3 years, but they still seem to be at their high level.

Messi was in the mood also and drove Barcelona on with a real ruthless streak. could have been 6 or 7-0.

race aficionado
19th December 2011, 21:39
Is it that Barca is that good? or is it that the competition is just mediocre?

I fortunately have seen some very good games where Barca actually gets some competition and it is so much fun to watch.

I for one, as a life long soccer/football fan will attest that I don't miss a single Barcelona game (thanks to GolTV and Fox Sports)because it is a fact that we are watching a very, very good football team that has amazing players topped by Messi and the rest of his brilliant team mates and coaching staff.

I hope that my fellow forum members that are engrossed in their own national football competitions have had the time to also witness this great Barcelona team. . .

. . . And of course witnessing and enjoying that magical Messi.

Rollo
19th December 2011, 22:21

In '09 Barca became the Spanish first club to win the Treble and later the only club in history to win a Sextuple. That's the Copa Del Rey, La Liga, Champions League, Supercopa de España, UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup.

In '11 they've won the 10-11 La Liga, Champions League, Supercopa de España, UEFA Super Cup, and FIFA Club World Cup for a calendar year quintuple.

Barca is that good - story - end of.

Bolton Midnight
20th December 2011, 02:09
I hope that my fellow forum members that are engrossed in their own national football competitions have had the time to also witness this great Barcelona team. . .

Aye knocking Arsenal out of the CL (the best tournament in the world)

Bolton Midnight
20th December 2011, 21:57
BBC Sport - Liverpool striker Luis Suarez handed eight-match FA ban (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16186556.stm)

John Terry is going to get remainder of season based on that, Suarez convicted solely on Debt Utd's player evidence - figures

odykas
27th December 2011, 12:45

Mr Perfect is overrated for sure ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
27th December 2011, 18:31
Two consecutive 5-0 wins for Man Utd :D

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd January 2012, 11:08
City, United and Chelsea all lose. What's happening?

Tottenham miss out on the chance to catch the top two. I think the league is between the two Manchester teams.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th January 2012, 17:39
This thread is very quiet, has everyone stopped watching football? It was F.A Cup weekend, Man City and Man Utd had a thriller. Kompany shouldn't have seen red but it seems tackling isn't allowed anymore. Man Utd took full advantage of their one-man advantage in the 1st half and scored 3. But somehow City clawed 2 back in the second half to make it a nail-biting finish.

And Paul Scholes returns. WTF? :eek:

driveace
9th January 2012, 18:03
Whats the score at the Emirates stadium going to be tonight then ?Arsenal 4 Leeds 1 OR will Leeds hold then to a 1-0 result ?

pino
9th January 2012, 18:05
I am here :wave: and still watching football but I did change channel after Kompany was sent off. That was one of the worst decision taken by a referee have experienced in footbal, the idiot ruined what could've been a great exciting and fair match between the best sides of PL.

Alexamateo
9th January 2012, 18:22
The most telling thing to me about Kompany being sent off, was the fact that Nani, who usually goes down to the ground with the slightest breeze, was trying to win the ball back, that's how clean the steal was. I was glad to see Scholes back, IIRC, Ferguson asked him not to retire last year, that said, I thought him coming on almost gave the game back to City, because he gave away the pass that led to Agüero's goal.

If soccer was a little more liberal in their substitution policies, you'd have a lot more guys extend careers, they can still do it, but maybe just not at a high level for the full 90 minutes.

Brown, Jon Brow
10th January 2012, 10:42
And Henry wins it for Arsenal!

His legs don't work anymore but he is still lethal in-front of goal.

Alexamateo
11th January 2012, 17:36
Help me out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElER4dZSaOs&feature=player_detailpage

Is the player that scored the goal not offsides? :confused: He came from completely behind the keeper to steal it and score.

MrJan
11th January 2012, 18:17
No. To be offside the ball would have to be played forward by a member of his own team.

Goals like that happen every now and then, one of Exeters old keepers was caught out like that while playing for a previous club and from then on would always do a little spin before putting the ball down

race aficionado
11th January 2012, 18:52
If you go to Marca.com
MARCA.com (http://www.marca.com/)
you will find a montage of these instances called:

"El gol del delantero invisible"

Rollo
11th January 2012, 19:24
http://media.gizmodo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/offside50p.jpg

A player is offside if there's nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent. Being offside of itself is not an offence.

The offence is only penalised if when the ball is played by someone from his own team, he gets an advantage. That usually means being forward of the second last player when his own teammate passes the ball forwards.

Alexamateo
12th January 2012, 03:59
Thanks to all, so somebody made a coin explaining the offside rule? Wow!

MrJan
12th January 2012, 12:39
Thanks to all, so somebody made a coin explaining the offside rule? Wow!

Yup, and they also seem to have put on a crude picture of Lisa Simpson giving fellatio...which is way not cool.

monadvspec
12th January 2012, 15:55
Yes my friend but are they as good as the Prem :)

This is a very good post in that it can open the discussion regarding leagues in Europe. I , personally have been an English league fan since a child. I could name every team in all four divisions and their positions in their respective tables. A long time ago. I also recall when Aston Villa got relegated to Div 111 and the clubs in that division were thrilled. Villa were drawing crowds of 30,000 plus. In fact the First division was always sold out.
With respect to which league is better I am biased and should view more games in the other leagues to formulate an honest objective opinion. I only atch El Classico (sic) and Inter , Juventus and AC Milan or Roma.
I was reading from a website lately that gave the crowds at different leagues throughout Europe. The Bundesliga won hands down. They get great crowds in all their divisions primarily the top flight of course. If I find the link I will post it.

One final comment/question. When I was really young I was a huge Chelsea fan. The era of the UEFA cup and FA CUP (When it was great). Any other fans out there that supported Osgood, Tambling, Webb, Chopper Harris, Hutchinson, Hudson, Bonnetti (the Cat) and others? I'd love to hear. I believe some of these men died. They could only be in their sixties, but many are gone.
Sad.

race aficionado
12th January 2012, 18:49
If you go to Marca.com
MARCA.com (http://www.marca.com/)
you will find a montage of these instances called:

"El gol del delantero invisible"

you will now find it here (it is amazing how many times this embarrassing situation happens)

Marca.com Buscador (http://cgi.marca.com/buscador/archivo_marca.html?q=invisible&Buscar=)

Alexamateo
12th January 2012, 19:21
I found it race. Fortunately, my household is bilingual so I can navigate a Spanish language website with no problems. ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
12th January 2012, 21:44
This is a very good post in that it can open the discussion regarding leagues in Europe. I , personally have been an English league fan since a child. I could name every team in all four divisions and their positions in their respective tables. A long time ago. I also recall when Aston Villa got relegated to Div 111 and the clubs in that division were thrilled. Villa were drawing crowds of 30,000 plus. In fact the First division was always sold out.
With respect to which league is better I am biased and should view more games in the other leagues to formulate an honest objective opinion. I only atch El Classico (sic) and Inter , Juventus and AC Milan or Roma.
I was reading from a website lately that gave the crowds at different leagues throughout Europe. The Bundesliga won hands down. They get great crowds in all their divisions primarily the top flight of course. If I find the link I will post it.

One final comment/question. When I was really young I was a huge Chelsea fan. The era of the UEFA cup and FA CUP (When it was great). Any other fans out there that supported Osgood, Tambling, Webb, Chopper Harris, Hutchinson, Hudson, Bonnetti (the Cat) and others? I'd love to hear. I believe some of these men died. They could only be in their sixties, but many are gone.
Sad.

The Bundesliga gets high attendances because they still have terracing and cheap tickets.

MrJan
13th January 2012, 13:02
The Bundesliga gets high attendances because they still have terracing and cheap tickets.

Also I believe that England gets better attendances at lower levels. For example a lot of teams in our fourth tier (League 2) would expect average crowds in excess of 3,500. You also get teams like Oxford that were regularly pulling in 7k+ crowds when they were non-league.

race aficionado
18th January 2012, 23:29
Barca!!!! :D

donKey jote
18th January 2012, 23:38
:D :D :p

Both Barca goals from defenders :laugh:

donKey jote
18th January 2012, 23:39
Puyol repeats his World Cup goal and Pepe "pupas" does the big fat donkey again :dozey:

donKey jote
18th January 2012, 23:45
Watching the repeats: Pepe looks down and shortens his step to stamp on Messi's hand. No question about it being deliberate or not... heck even Rooney called him an idiot on twitter ! :laugh: :laugh:

race aficionado
18th January 2012, 23:53
Watching the repeats: Pepe looks down and shortens his step to stamp on Messi's hand. No question about it being deliberate or not... heck even Rooney called him an idiot on twitter ! :laugh: :laugh:

Pepe steps on Lionel Messi (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/pepe-steps-lionel-messi-hand-because-pepe-does-225928246.html)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ciSlIEeD4Ck

Storm
20th January 2012, 06:53
Pepe = thug.

pino
25th January 2012, 21:54
Gooooooooooooooooooooooool Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooool Barca-Real 2-0 at the moment...

:D

Alexamateo
25th January 2012, 22:34
Barca 2....2 Real Madrid now! :D

Man City-Liverpool and Barca-Real on a Wednesday afternoon is seriously affecting my ability to get work done. :p : :cool: :)

race aficionado
25th January 2012, 23:00
Barca!!!!!! :D

Whew!!!!! :colour:

race aficionado
27th January 2012, 18:46
from a Barca fan that I am:

FACT: Cristiano + Benzema + Özil = SCARY DANGEROUS TRIO

* and just wait for the return of Di Maria.

Real Madrid has great players (understatement) and Barca is going to have a tough opponent when these two soon meet.

Cool!!! :s mokin:

Brown, Jon Brow
27th January 2012, 21:20
Real Madrid should have won the other night. They had Barca rattled for a time during the second half.

race aficionado
27th January 2012, 22:31
Real Madrid should have won the other night. . . . ..

But they didn't. ;)

What I find amazing is what cry babies some RM players and their coach are.

and if they continue to play with the gusto they played with at the beginning and end of this past match, we will be seeing some great soccer matches soon. A couple of more Clásicos await us.

pino
29th January 2012, 10:49
Fight for the Liga is over unfortunately :( hopefuly soon will be the same for Serie A :D

race aficionado
29th January 2012, 19:41
Looks pretty bad - and with all the injuries to boot.

RM has started losing some of their Liga games in the first half but always come back with explosive soccer and end up winning the games - and Barca has just had too many tied games . . .

Brown, Jon Brow
29th January 2012, 23:53
I hate Dirk Kuyt and his cheese string hair. :(

odykas
30th January 2012, 14:06
Who jinxed Barca? :hmph:

Nevermind, I still have faith in Barca as long as Mou is there :p :

Bolton Midnight
3rd February 2012, 16:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2fXXzwBvIc

as guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo

Alexamateo
4th February 2012, 19:24
David Beckham red-carded at kids' soccer game - MLS News | FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/beckham-tossed-from-kids-soccer-game-020412)

He protested a call and the ref expelled him from the park! :p

Brown, Jon Brow
5th February 2012, 17:58
Chelsea take a 3-0 lead over Manchester United and it ends up 3-3!

Who remembers the days when Chelsea could defend 1-0 for a month of Sundays?

pino
5th February 2012, 18:11
Go City :p :

donKey jote
5th February 2012, 18:24
Chelsea take a 3-0 lead over Manchester United and it ends up 3-3!

Who remembers the days when Chelsea could defend 1-0 for a month of Sundays?

Looks like they need Mourinho back :p

Brown, Jon Brow
5th February 2012, 18:36
Go City :p :

Boooo!

Alexamateo
5th February 2012, 22:40
As a Hernandez fan, I was delighted to see him get the equalizer. He's had a very uneven second season, so here is hoping he gets back in form.

Nice assist from Torres, too. I am actually wishing he gets back in form, but I am wondering if it can happen at Chelsea.

Rollo
6th February 2012, 23:07
YAY KITTIES!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIvRrcugSRg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eViZ4eT3cd4&feature=related

Where will the World Kitty-Watching Cup Final be? Petco Park in San Diego? Petco - It's where the pets go?

pino
8th February 2012, 19:41
Capello resigns as England manager, nice call Fabio...they don't deserve you :up: :p :