PDA

View Full Version : Penske Shell V-Power Pennzoil Ultra IndyCar

anthonyvop
3rd December 2010, 00:44
Well?

What do you think?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/202084468.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1291338146&Signature=X1K0b5PqF4%2FgOcDn%2BmKsxufe3zs%3D

nigelred5
3rd December 2010, 01:17
Reminds me of the NewmanHaas McDonalds cars to be honest. It's still very strange to see a new paint scheme on a Penske Indycar after all those years in Marlboro colors.

garyshell
3rd December 2010, 05:18
Well?

What do you think?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/202084468.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1291338146&Signature=X1K0b5PqF4%2FgOcDn%2BmKsxufe3zs%3D

The link is returning an XML file.

Gary

Chamoo
3rd December 2010, 05:27
This deal is Indy-only. Kind of sucks, as the car looks real nice.

anthonyvop
3rd December 2010, 06:07
The link is returning an XML file.

Gary

Try this

http://twitpic.com/3cbddg

garyshell
3rd December 2010, 06:20
Thanks Anthony! The livery looks great. Is what Chamoo said correct, it's only for Indy500? I thought Shell was a primary sponsor for Helio this coming season?

Gary

Lee Roy
3rd December 2010, 13:27
Thanks Anthony! The livery looks great. Is what Chamoo said correct, it's only for Indy500? I thought Shell was a primary sponsor for Helio this coming season?

Gary

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/cup-penske-shell-reunite-in-two-series/

Castroneves said he was glad to be racing the car at Indianapolis and hinted Shell could step up its involvement later on.

“Right now, it’s Indy only, but I believe they’re going to be looking at the strongest markets and we might have some other opportunities,” Castroneves said. “This is big, getting Shell back, and who knows what it might be down the road.”

Hoop-98
3rd December 2010, 15:18
Maybe Sam H. will use those colors at the 500!

anthonyvop
3rd December 2010, 16:52
Basically Shell is taking over the same deal Penske had with Mobil1. It was going to be bigger but it is a long convoluted story that includes Audi, VW, ALMS and Daytona.

Chamoo
3rd December 2010, 18:02
Basically Shell is taking over the same deal Penske had with Mobil1. It was going to be bigger but it is a long convoluted story that includes Audi, VW, ALMS and Daytona.

Do you have more info on the story that you are able to share? Sounds interesting.

MAX_THRUST
4th December 2010, 15:13
One race seems silly, wil tehy do more if they win Indy?

Dr. Krogshöj
4th December 2010, 17:41
One race seems silly, wil tehy do more if they win Indy?

According to an article I read, they are talking about more races but wanted to announce the Indy deal as soon as possible. I suspect they are waiting for the TV schedule announcement to see what races will be on ABC so they don't waste money by sponsoring the races on Versus. Anyway, I don't think even one race is "silly". Look at how the Verizon sponsorship evolved. It's a start.

Mark in Oshawa
5th December 2010, 02:06
It all starts somewhere..and that is one SWEET race car......

call_me_andrew
5th December 2010, 03:39
Sunoco is going to be mad.

MAX_THRUST
5th December 2010, 10:47
The car looks great. If that goes for the whole season, it can only be good for the series. Big sponsors normally attract other big sponsors. Just get the tv package sorted out.

How likely is it to be on ABC

FIAT1
5th December 2010, 13:54
Great ,onother red and white car.

Dr. Krogshöj
5th December 2010, 14:59
Sunoco is going to be mad.

Why? A remember a Shell-sponsored car winning Daytona a couple of years ago and NASCAR's official fuel is Sunoco, too.

Scotty G.
5th December 2010, 15:39
When Penske stole Shell from Richard Childress, the Indy 500 was part of the lure.

The majority of the money from Shell is going to the Penske Cup program and Kurt Busch. This Shell deal with Helio's car is probably more a "thank you" then anything else.

And Briscoe's sponsorship (which will be announced on Monday) probably also has "NASCAR" roots.

Simple fact is, Penske is probably footing a lot of the bill for Indy Car again in 2011. Meijer helps, but its still just a secondary deal.

glauistean
5th December 2010, 16:47
When Penske stole Shell from Richard Childress, the Indy 500 was part of the lure.

The majority of the money from Shell is going to the Penske Cup program and Kurt Busch. This Shell deal with Helio's car is probably more a "thank you" then anything else.

And Briscoe's sponsorship (which will be announced on Monday) probably also has "NASCAR" roots.

Simple fact is, Penske is probably footing a lot of the bill for Indy Car again in 2011. Meijer helps, but its still just a secondary deal.

Penske is a powerful individual. I believe he picks and chooses his sponsors very carefully. Image means a lot to him. I'm not his greatest fan, but anyone that is more powerful than Bernie has my admiration.

Take a look at his (Penske) 400,000 Sq Ft mega shop.

anthonyvop
5th December 2010, 22:13
but anyone that is more powerful than Bernie has my admiration.

Curious....Why do you think that?

Easy Drifter
6th December 2010, 01:09
The Demented Midget is far more powerful internationally.
Roger is not even a real powerhouse in the taxi cabs.
Both are extremely clever and ruthless but I have to give it to Bernie. A used car salesman on the streets of London to a mega billionaire.
Roger took another approach and aquired and made successful many companies.
I admire both but I respect Roger but dislike Bernie.
Both were racing drivers. Bernie a flop. Roger was as good as anyone.
Most people forget that!

Alexamateo
6th December 2010, 03:29
Both are extremely clever and ruthless but I have to give it to Bernie. A used car salesman on the streets of London to a mega billionaire.
Most people forget that!

This comment made me think of an interesting Sports Illustrated article from 1963 about Roger Penske the driver. It's interesting reading it with the hindsight of almost 50 years.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1074657/1/index.htm

anthonyvop
6th December 2010, 03:42
Most people forget that!

While both are successful businessmen and are to be admired

In motorsports Penske is just a major player and dominant competitor in IndyCar a good team(not top) in NASCAR and a sometime sportscar competitor.

Bernie is a former World Championship Team owner and made Formula 1 into what is arguably the most popular professional sport in the world.

Jag_Warrior
6th December 2010, 05:44
By "powerful", maybe he meant in terms of net worth. To be honest, I'm not totally sure whether Bernie or Roger is wealthier now. But I think Bernie used to have a few hundred million more than Roger. Maybe that's changed now. Not really sure... :confused:

My favorite thing about Bernie was the sleek March chassis that pretty much ruled the 80's (back when we were "fab"). My favorite thing about Penske was the Penske chassis... and when he gave Emmo a seat and an Indy 500 victory! :up:

Chris R
6th December 2010, 12:56
Bernie and Roger are in two different worlds.... Bernie is more akin to the France Family relative to auto racing.... Roger has a far more diverse empire but Bernie's is more wildly successful... Either one of them could buy and sell me countless times over....

What did Bernie have to do with the March chassis??

For what it is worth, I'd much rather walk down the street unguarded with Roger than Bernie (nothing to do with the recent mugging - just think Bernie has probably made more real enemies than Roger over the years...)....

Chris R
6th December 2010, 14:56
According to Forbes Bernie & Family are worth $4 billion and Roger Penske is worth $1.3 billion....

Chamoo
6th December 2010, 15:32
According to Forbes Bernie & Family are worth $4 billion and Roger Penske is worth $1.3 billion....

Bernie is only worth half of that now isn't he?

Jag_Warrior
6th December 2010, 16:22
My new rule: never post after midnight or when I'm tired.

I was thinking of Spanky Mosley.