PDA

View Full Version : Driving on the left is safer!

Brown, Jon Brow
12th March 2007, 22:02
So the British, Aussies and Japanese are right (or is that left)

Think about it. Most people are right handed, so when you change gear in a right hand drive car you use your left hand on the gear stick and leave the right hand on the wheel, which is safer. The opposite happens in left( wrong :p ) hand drive cars.

Mark
13th March 2007, 09:11
What if you're left handed like me? I find that it makes it easier to get the gear change done quickly and accurately, as my left hand is best at complex tasks, both my right and left arms are equally as good at steering.

In fact I'm worried how I'll hope with a left hand drive car!

janneppi
13th March 2007, 09:35
Brown, Jon brow, you're wron. ;)
It's better (for the right handed) to use the gear lever with your dominant hand, it does the job faster and your "weaker" is better suited for keeping the steering wheel from turning.

Here's a bit off-topicy question (For right handers), do people in UK, OZ... who ride bicycles take the water bottle with their left hand and keep steering with the right hand?

Daniel
13th March 2007, 13:55
Jon you're wrong.

As janneppi said for most people who are right handed it's best to drive a LHD car. So Mark being left handed is actually driving on the best side of his car and the rest of us right handed people are driving on the least best side of our cars.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th March 2007, 14:15
Changing gear isn't complex and steering inaccurately is more dangerous than changing gear inaccurately. Hence you should use you best hand for steering, which for most people is right. :p

Daniel
13th March 2007, 14:19
Your left hand is naturally better at steering and your right hand better at doing gearchanges. It's just the way most people are "wired" up basically.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th March 2007, 14:21
Your left hand is naturally better at steering and your right hand better at doing gearchanges. It's just the way most people are "wired" up basically.

What are you basing that on?

Daniel
13th March 2007, 14:23
Going to university and doing Aviation and learning human performance for a semester. Do some googling and you'll find that LHD is better for right handed people. I'm at work so don't have the time to be googling for an answer I already know on my lunchbreak.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th March 2007, 16:51
From Wikipedia

Research in 1969 by J.J. Leeming showed that countries that drive on the left had a lower accident rate than countries that drive on the right, but this research is sharply criticized in Peter Kincaid's book on the rule of the road. Some countries that have switched to driving on the right (such as Sweden) saw their long term accident rates increase by more than any increase in traffic volumes[citation needed]. It has been suggested, but not proven, that this is partly because it is more common to be right-eye dominant.[4][5][6] Traffic flows in a clockwise direction when driving on the left which enables right eyed people to use the right eye to see oncoming traffic. When overtaking on a right-side-driving road, the right-eyed driver looks in the wing mirror with the left eye and also views the oncoming traffic with the left eye which is not suited to the majority right-eyed people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_on_the_left_or_right

janneppi
13th March 2007, 17:13
So, even if that unproven and critisezed view is accurate, your original assesment of the reasons , Mr. Brown, were wrong. ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
13th March 2007, 17:15
So, even if that unproven and critisezed view is accurate, your original assesment of the reasons , Mr. Brown, were wrong. ;)

I'm never wrong!

I wouldn't belive what that Daniel says! :p

Erki
13th March 2007, 17:19
So after all it's an advantage that I'm left eyed. :) I always thought I was weird when all the other people used their right eyes to do some aiming(camera, gun, whatever).

luvracin
13th March 2007, 19:17
I started driving in Australia. I now drive in America and do alot of driving in continental Europe. I am also left handed.

I have no problem on either side of the road or car.

However, from an engineering point of view. It's a real pain in the XXXX when the vehicle platform people tell you that you need to move your part by 1.5mm to package protect for the piddling volume Right Hand Drive versions of the car.

The whole world needs to just pick a side and stick to it.

Rollo
13th March 2007, 22:38
Historically if you were a soldier Roman Empire you carried your sword in your right hand even if you were left handed, because Phalanx units and Legions would line up their shields and move together, so if everyobdy's sword was on the same side then it made things easier.

From the point of chivalry, people carried their swords on their right hand side and had their lady sit to their left in a carriage for defensive reasons; thus carriages would pass down the left hand side of the road just like the Roman army.

France and the USA both switched over in the late 1700's, one was largely to do with a protest against the nobility and the other was to to with a protest against the UK. Since Europe followed France and a lot of the industrialised world bought American cars, then this is why they adopted driving on the right.

I don't know which is safer, but the fact that the USA and France agreed on something means that it has to be inherantly wrong by jingoistic logic. Therefore like the metric system, calling something an aubergine and decimal currency, driving on the right hand side of the road should be pooh-poohed at all costs, because if the UK agrees with France, then civilisation as we know it will come to an end and the space-time continuum will dissolve on itself.

The English, The English, The English are best
I would wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest!

fly_ac
14th March 2007, 07:39
I guess then I don't have a problem since I am ambidexteris. :D

Erki
14th March 2007, 07:44
I guess then I don't have a problem since I am ambidexteris. :D

You should drive a McLaren F1 then.

fly_ac
14th March 2007, 08:07
You should drive a McLaren F1 then.

Central seating. That should be weird at first. :)
I have driven single seaters on track before, but on a public road sitting in the middle of the car, nope.

inamo
14th March 2007, 09:49
There's a simpler solution, drive a car with paddle shift, then both hands stay on the wheel while changing gears ;) have been driving a car with paddle shift for the last 2.5 years it's brilliant, would never want to go back to a car with manual shift now.

Mark
14th March 2007, 09:56
Or just an automatic? :p

janneppi
14th March 2007, 10:13
It's almost scary how fast you can get accustomed to an automatic gearbox, i've driven manuals for nine years and last weekend drove an automatic Volvo for 20 minutes, it felt very natural, except the part where i adjusted my seat according to a non-existing clutch pedal. :)

Cole_Trickle
18th March 2007, 10:31
Here's a bit off-topicy question (For right handers), do people in UK, OZ... who ride bicycles take the water bottle with their left hand and keep steering with the right hand?

Yes,...well I do anyway :p

RHD cars FTW, it would be nice if it was all the same (a converted LHD car is nowhere near as good as the original) but I think it's a little too late for that.

Erki
18th March 2007, 10:40

I usually take my water bottle with both hands. But that's maybe because I use a proper 20 litre canister which I am so far unable to drink from using only one hand. I have to do some more training - but that's why I cycle. :)

janneppi
18th March 2007, 11:02
How can you fit a 20 litre canister to the bottlemount in the frame? :)

Erki
18th March 2007, 18:13
How can you fit a 20 litre canister to the bottlemount in the frame? :)

Er, you mean cyclemount in the canister handle? :?:

janneppi
18th March 2007, 18:23
No, i mean a bottle cage tha goes into the bicycle frame and where you put the bottle in.
http://www.bike24.net/images/products/p013015.jpg

Erki
18th March 2007, 18:30
Sorry, but those thingies are too fragile for serious training, I managed to brake one(and now I'm not jokin) :)

Maybe I should re-invent the bicycle and name it canistercycle? Hmm, idea is here, now I need a business plan...

johnny shell
23rd March 2007, 20:55
Obviously, right hand driving is safer because I'm able to shift with my right hand, eat my beans and toast with my left hand, and steer with my knee!

Eki
23rd March 2007, 23:42
Driving on the left on Finnish roads wouldn't be very safe for long. Sooner or later you'd meet a lorry driving on the right and BANG!

Brown, Jon Brow
24th March 2007, 10:07
Obviously, right hand driving is safer because I'm able to shift with my right hand, eat my beans and toast with my left hand, and steer with my knee!

Have tried the beans on toast yet Johnny??

Don't eat and drive.

Erki
24th March 2007, 13:49
Driving on the left on Finnish roads wouldn't be very safe for long. Sooner or later you'd meet a lorry driving on the right and BANG!

On which side of the road does the BANG! drive?

Eki
24th March 2007, 18:20
On which side of the road does the BANG! drive?
In the middle of the road, on average.

racefanfromnj
25th March 2007, 17:03
well all i can say is that im from the US im left handed and were i to drive on the left side of the road no one would be safe

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2007, 20:30
Driving on the left side is a silly English custom that should have been stomped out a long time ago. Why? well...damn....maybe there is something to it....ah hell....it really is an illogical concept. If you grew up driving on the right side of the street, it makes sense. If you drove on the left, THAT makes sense to you. I suspect it makes no difference whether you are left or right handed, for if you believe that being left or right handed on the wrong side is an issue, it would mean I would be a poorer driver for being a lefty but shifting gears with my right. Since I have not had an at fault accident on the road since I was very young and stupid, and I drive a big rig now, I would have to assume it means little on your left handed or right handed nature to the quality of your driving. I think it is just a matter or culture, but lets face it, I find it amazing that Europe or the UK didn't figure something out because with the number of Brit's coming to the contient with their cars, I am shocked their isn't carnage. Really, the EU should make up their minds what side everyone should be on, and I suspect the Brit's know they are out numbered. It is one of the great mysteries how no one really gave ground on this one....

Brown, Jon Brow
24th April 2007, 11:06
, I find it amazing that Europe or the UK didn't figure something out because with the number of Brit's coming to the contient with their cars, I am shocked their isn't carnage. Really, the EU should make up their minds what side everyone should be on, and I suspect the Brit's know they are out numbered. It is one of the great mysteries how no one really gave ground on this one....

Maybe because there is a channel in between the UK and Europe ;)

BDunnell
24th April 2007, 13:36
This is a really interesting topic. Does anyone know why we all came to drive on either the right or left depending on which country we're in? I have no idea.

Incidentally, I believe that 2007 marks the 40th anniversary of Sweden's famous overnight change from left to right. Maybe they could celebrate with a 'nostalgia day' where they revert for one day only.

RALLY TEAM GB
24th April 2007, 14:49
What if you're left handed like me? I find that it makes it easier to get the gear change done quickly and accurately, as my left hand is best at complex tasks, both my right and left arms are equally as good at steering.

In fact I'm worried how I'll hope with a left hand drive car!

well if you go to the US you have no problems with changing gear

nearly all cars in the US are automatic
plus a left handed car is not safer..the accident rate on the roads here is crazy lmfao

JoCoLo
24th April 2007, 15:17
This is a really interesting topic. Does anyone know why we all came to drive on either the right or left depending on which country we're in? I have no idea.

Rollo has done a great explanation back on page 1 of this topic, it is as good as I have seen.

BDunnell
24th April 2007, 15:43
Rollo has done a great explanation back on page 1 of this topic, it is as good as I have seen.

This is true. I read it, but musn't have taken it in (not a reflection on the post!)

fandango
24th April 2007, 22:28

Well, only the Italians could outdo everyone with this kind of confusion: It used to be that different cities had different sides of the road. Lancia first only produced RHD cars.

As for this business that driving on the left came from using your right arm for defence - surely if someone was intent on hacking you to bits they wouldn't really be worrying about what side of the road they're on. Medieval driving test: "looking glass, signal, cleave"

My only problem driving on the other side when I return to dear oul' Erin's emerald shores is with the rear-view mirror - I keep looking out the window when I should be checking what's behind.

BDunnell
24th April 2007, 22:31
Medieval driving test: "looking glass, signal, cleave"

:laugh:

Brilliant.

raphael123
25th April 2007, 12:23
I've driven on the right hand and left side, and I must be honest I didn't really find it awkward at all. I learnt to drive in the UK, but when I was driving in France I didn't find the switch awkward, or tricky by any means.

Mark
30th April 2007, 07:58
Well I've just come back from Spain where I was driving a left hand drive Fiesta, then got into a right hand drive Fiesta at home, and I can say after an initial period of adjustment, it makes no difference whatsoever :D