PDA

View Full Version : Coffee

CaptainRaiden
26th November 2010, 16:44
How effective is it really? Been off it for over a month now, doing the same amount of work, 8-10 hour shifts, and I feel no difference. And I used to chug at least 3 mugs over a day. Felt drowsy for the first week after quitting, but those were I guess just mild withdrawal symptoms from caffeine.

anthonyvop
26th November 2010, 20:55
How effective is it really? Been off it for over a month now, doing the same amount of work, 8-10 hour shifts, and I feel no difference. And I used to chug at least 3 mugs over a day. Felt drowsy for the first week after quitting, but those were I guess just mild withdrawal symptoms from caffeine.

I drink coffee because I like it not for any energy boost.

CaptainRaiden
26th November 2010, 21:14

Well, I drank it solely for the "energy boost" to keep me awake. Can't stand the crappy bitter taste. Smells good though.

Bob Riebe
26th November 2010, 23:13
I do not know what kind you drink, but you get what you pay for in taste to a great degree.

Some night when you really want to get to sleep, drink a strong cup at about nine pm, the results will answer your question.

odykas
26th November 2010, 23:37
A double cappuccino increases my productivity by 100% :D :p :

anthonyvop
27th November 2010, 02:12
Been drinking Cuban Coffee since I was 8 or 9.
If you never had Cuban Coffee be prepared. I gave some to some guys from Turkey once after they were talking smack about their coffee.......1/2 later they were climbing the walls with their fingernails

race aficionado
27th November 2010, 04:39
Coffee doesn't suck.

I love my colombian coffee.

:s mokin:

pino
27th November 2010, 06:36
Lavazza's Miscela Rossa is the best :D

A double cappuccino increases my productivity by 100% :D :p :

Same here ;)

Daniel
27th November 2010, 08:31
tOdy. 2x0 is 0 :p

CaptainRaiden
27th November 2010, 09:23
I do not know what kind you drink, but you get what you pay for in taste to a great degree.

Some night when you really want to get to sleep, drink a strong cup at about nine pm, the results will answer your question.

I switched between Tchibo Exclusive, this one: http://www.amazon.com/Tchibo-Exclusive-Coffee-Premium-8-8-Ounce/dp/B001GVIT6Y Davidoff, Lavazza, Jacobs or Nescafe Red Cup with milk and sugar. Sometimes I had coffee about 2 hours before sleeping, and was able to sleep. Although I'll admit that getting to sleep is easier now compared to one month ago. But the energy level during work is the same. Just eating right, water and clean air seems to do the trick.

Bob Riebe
27th November 2010, 15:44
I used to read a magazine dedicated to coffee lovers, sadly now out of production, and discovered the huge variety of coffees out there and the considerable difference in taste between beans grown in different locations plus beans not known before.

This is the place http://www.vietnamese-coffee.com/index.php I do a lot of business with now, amongst others.
They have four differnt bean species available, especially after trying to get Philippine Barako, from a Philippino became a matter of how many months an importer would last before going under.

What the Viets do to Robusta beans is far different from what the mass producers do. (most cheap coffee is Robusta beams.)

glauistean
27th November 2010, 19:03

Me too. Especially the dark roast blends.

Hondo
27th November 2010, 19:48
Mellow Joy Dark Roast. Like a few others, I drink coffee all the time because I enjoy the flavor. Usually iced or at room temperature. It doesn't seem to have any "boost" effect on me and doesn't keep me awake, however, a suitable amount of cash money will do both if you really need me.

Mellow Joy is a small, Louisiana company that does it's own roasting.

Rudy Tamasz
29th November 2010, 07:46
I like coffee for its taste and use it to boost my energy, too. I'm useless after lunch unless I have a cup of coffee. I also noticed my coffee consumption went up once I cut down on my drinking.

Mark in Oshawa
30th November 2010, 19:07
Coffee is a simple pleasure for me...and if I could get my hands on a regular affordable supply of Kona coffee from Hawaii, I would be a far happier man!

That said, my usual dose of Tim Hortons coffee while I am on the road usually makes any trip by car a very nice experience!

fandango
1st December 2010, 08:35

Coffee affects different people differently. I always have good coffee at breakfast, maybe another small one during the morning, but I can't really drink it at night, unless I'm in a restaurant. My wife can drink it anytime and it doesn't keep her awake, for example.

raybak
1st December 2010, 08:59
I don't drink coffee but love the smell of it roasting. We have just had a coffee roaster move in next door to my office. Some very nice aromas there of a morning when they start roasting.

Ray

Retro Formula 1
1st December 2010, 09:31
Nice cup of Mellow Bird with some UHT milk.

Mmmmmmm

Just joking. Do like a nice cup but don't think it affects me as much as it does others.

555-04Q2
1st December 2010, 14:18
I don't start my day without a cup of Nescafe's finest. Gives me a little edge before I make the morning commute to work. It definetely gives me a slight boost!

schmenke
1st December 2010, 15:17
I can't start my day without a large cup of java. My daily commute to work usually takes a detour through the Timmies drive through ;) .There is a Starbucks close by but, although it is good coffee, I can't be bothered to wait in line as some numbnuts at the front invariably orders a double-decaf-low-fat-soy-extra-foam-cinammon-with-gopher-sh!t-sprinkles that takes 20 minutes to prepare :s
I take my coffee black.

Agree with MIO... Kona is the good stuff :up:

Bob Riebe
1st December 2010, 19:54
Mellow Joy Dark Roast. Like a few others, I drink coffee all the time because I enjoy the flavor. Usually iced or at room temperature. It doesn't seem to have any "boost" effect on me and doesn't keep me awake, however, a suitable amount of cash money will do both if you really need me.

Mellow Joy is a small, Louisiana company that does it's own roasting.
Ah iced coffee, when I landscaped regularly, I often would put a fresh pot in the refrigerator when I left for work and chug it when I got home at night, on hot summer dayss

Dunn's Brothers used to get alot of my business here, when they had punch cards that gave one any drink free when completed.
Sadly when I brought one in with one punch left and the manager said that is no good we changed style of cards last month, they lost a regular customer.
Tastes showed Dunn's coffee as having the hight caffeine level of local coffee shops.
They used to roast in store, at all stores, but that has stopped, and their quality has gone down.

Daniel
1st December 2010, 20:00
Coffee affects different people differently. I always have good coffee at breakfast, maybe another small one during the morning, but I can't really drink it at night, unless I'm in a restaurant. My wife can drink it anytime and it doesn't keep her awake, for example.

I went through a period where my sleep patterns were stuffed up and I found it difficult to fall aslpeed and a can of Red Bull before bed would send me to sleep :mark: Seemed to keep me very alert for a short period of time before I crashed and fell into a deep sleep.

Bob Riebe
1st December 2010, 20:01
Coffee is a simple pleasure for me...and if I could get my hands on a regular affordable supply of Kona coffee from Hawaii, I would be a far happier man!

That said, my usual dose of Tim Hortons coffee while I am on the road usually makes any trip by car a very nice experience!

Down here, TJMaxx, of all places, is now high buck clearing house for items often sold at higher priced specialty stores.
They offer several types of Kona, and Jamaican, coffee at prices that range from five to eight dollars for a bag.

One certain brand of Kona with German Clover Honey, on toast, makes very pleasant breakfasts.

Mark in Oshawa
1st December 2010, 20:14
Down here, TJMaxx, of all places, is now high buck clearing house for items often sold at higher priced specialty stores.
They offer several types of Kona, and Jamaican, coffee at prices that range from five to eight dollars for a bag.

One certain brand of Kona with German Clover Honey, on toast, makes very pleasant breakfasts.

When I was in Vegas, I went to the ABC Store in The Planet Hollywood. Anyone who has been to Hawaii knows what ABC stores are so I scooted in there and brought back a few pounds of the stuff.

Kona doesn't make it to Canada except in a select few places that I haven't found yet....

Bob Riebe
1st December 2010, 20:26
When I was in Vegas, I went to the ABC Store in The Planet Hollywood. Anyone who has been to Hawaii knows what ABC stores are so I scooted in there and brought back a few pounds of the stuff.

Kona doesn't make it to Canada except in a select few places that I haven't found yet....
Try ordering on-line, some excellent deals, and variety, there.

Mark in Oshawa
1st December 2010, 20:47
Try ordering on-line, some excellent deals, and variety, there.

ya, I could do that. ABC has an online store...but I like the idea of finding a local supplier and just buying what I need. Getting stuff mailed up here means customs and duty and all that crap.....