PDA

View Full Version : Have I missed something?

Sonic
25th November 2010, 21:47
Has rear wing adjustments replaced front wings for 2011? I knew the adjustable rear wing was taking over from the F Duct but I didn't realize the adjustable front wing was going next year.

If that's the case it seems like a bad move. As I understand it, the rear wing can't be trimmed until you are 1 sec back so the drivers won't be able to use the wing to help with the understeer in the wake or to balance the car as the fuel load changes. The cars are gonna be dogs at one stage of the rave or another.

Big Ben
26th November 2010, 09:23
So this rule is for real? I thought it might just one of those things some idiots need to say from time to time just to keep people from thinking they could be smart or something. I'm looking at the bright side. At least I'm going to have some good sunday afternoon power naps.

V12
26th November 2010, 11:47
Yup it's for real, seriously whoever came up with the adjustable rear wing wants shot (in a figurative sense). Nothing wrong with adjustable rear wings if you can adjust them whenever you want as often as you want, but this whole idea that you need to be 1 second behind another car is just retarded beyond belief. It's blatantly just a ploy to try and get cars to overtake more.

Also I don't think F-ducts are being completely outlawed, just the driver operation of them. I read in Motor Sport magazine a couple of months back that the general concept of blown slot-gap wings was not being outlawed so if there's a way to make an automatic f-duct with a fluid switch that chokes at a certain velocity, you can still have it.

ioan
26th November 2010, 18:03
Also I don't think F-ducts are being completely outlawed, just the driver operation of them. I read in Motor Sport magazine a couple of months back that the general concept of blown slot-gap wings was not being outlawed so if there's a way to make an automatic f-duct with a fluid switch that chokes at a certain velocity, you can still have it.

Mercedes have been using a passive version if I am not mistaken.

Sonic
26th November 2010, 19:49

You are right. Perhaps that will give them a lift for 2011 given their experience with it?

Duchess
27th November 2010, 00:10
It's going to give the cars serious balance issues next season so I'm a bit concerned about the safety of the whole idea. At least with the adjustable front wing the drivers could compensate for oversteer or understeer of their cars when the fuel loads got lighter, but now they can't. I'm sure they'll learn to adjust, but it seems to me unnecessary to subject the drivers to that.

Sonic
27th November 2010, 15:24
but it seems to me unnecessary to subject the drivers to that.

Exactly.

V12
27th November 2010, 19:38

That would make sense since they don't have the shark fin extending to the rear wing. I'm glad they're not being banned to be honest because it's a very clever idea, although I can see the logic in banning the driver-operated versions, especially the ones that require the drivers to be one-handed.

wattoroos
30th November 2010, 10:04
Yup it's for real, seriously whoever came up with the adjustable rear wing wants shot (in a figurative sense). Nothing wrong with adjustable rear wings if you can adjust them whenever you want as often as you want, but this whole idea that you need to be 1 second behind another car is just retarded beyond belief. It's blatantly just a ploy to try and get cars to overtake more.

totally agree, the 1 second rule is stupid a rule and cant how it can policed as the driver wont know the gap and create artificial overtaking. when we want to see more overtaking we want driver skill but not made impossible because of things like the DDD

V12
30th November 2010, 16:47
totally agree, the 1 second rule is stupid a rule and cant how it can policed as the driver wont know the gap and create artificial overtaking. when we want to see more overtaking we want driver skill but not made impossible because of things like the DDD

It can be policed fairly easy as I believe the plan is for it to be computer controlled and governed by sector times/gaps etc. If the gaps aren't as required, the wing adjustor simply won't operate, as least that's my understanding.

But the fact they are going to that level of digging into race control data just to create a few phony overtakes, when I first saw the story I figured it was either April 1st and I'd missed it - or it was one of those classic Bernie/Max ploys to get the teams and fans to agree to something a little less bad further down the road.

If they are serious about overtaking they need to severely limit downforce, not just by 10% or 20% that will be recovered by the engineers, but a real shift in thinking, perhaps even going the FFord route and banning wings altogether. Otherwise they should just accept that these are technologically and aerodynamically advanced cars that are racing to beat each other, not put on a pretty little show.

ioan
30th November 2010, 18:20
Otherwise they should just accept that these are technologically and aerodynamically advanced cars that are racing to beat each other, not put on a pretty little show.

This would be the sensible way to go, however I have doubts that they have enough common sense to come to this simple conclusion.