PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes - Cricket discussion

Valve Bounce
25th November 2010, 10:25
What a sensational start. This fellow, Siddle, who was included at the sudden dropping of Bollinger, get's a hat trick against the Poms on the first day of the Brisbane test, and it was on his birthday no less.

I don't think there are that many Aussi bowlers who have a hat trick in test cricket, and certainly very few against the Poms. And the guy ended with 6 wickets for 54 which included Pietersen and Collingwood.

Here's the days report: http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2010-11/content/story/488911.html

MrJan
25th November 2010, 11:08
Pfft, I hate cricket :p :

To be fair getting KP at a low score isn't difficult, he's more likely to go out swinging than to stay there and slowly get a decent score. But when he's in the zone it's fantastic to watch.

Plenty of time to go though, and 260 isn't the worst score we've ever put up :s

555-04Q2
25th November 2010, 13:31
I think this years Ashes Series will be a close affair. Looking forward to some great games and tough personal battles.

Brown, Jon Brow
25th November 2010, 20:13
I bet this years Ashes are like the last one that was downunder. Predicted to be close, but Aussies will whitewash :(

ShiftingGears
26th November 2010, 00:03
Unbelievable start, nothing from the form of both teams coming into this test suggested that Australia would've done as well as they did on the first day.

Valve Bounce
26th November 2010, 03:01
Unbelievable start, nothing from the form of both teams coming into this test suggested that Australia would've done as well as they did on the first day.

And to prove the point, they are not doing that well on the second day. Quasimodo Clark struggling after Ponting went for 10.

ShiftingGears
26th November 2010, 03:36
And to prove the point, they are not doing that well on the second day. Quasimodo Clark struggling after Ponting went for 10.

Not at all surprising, to be honest.

harsha
29th November 2010, 08:47
cook , strauss and trotters :roflmao:

Brown, Jon Brow
29th November 2010, 10:38
Only two wickets taken on the last two days. That's boring.

ShiftingGears
29th November 2010, 10:42
Only two wickets taken on the last two days. That's boring.

Australia's bowling attack needs work, Mitchell Johnson in particular was awful. A dropped catch, a duck and 0/170 for the test.

Eki
29th November 2010, 14:10
Why is it called "the Ashes"?

Brown, Jon Brow
29th November 2010, 16:37
Why is it called "the Ashes"?

The series is named after a satirical obituary published in a British newspaper, The Sporting Times, in 1882 after a match at The Oval in which Australia beat England on an English ground for the first time. The obituary stated that English cricket had died, and the body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia. The English media dubbed the next English tour to Australia (1882–83) as the quest to regain The Ashes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes

ShiftingGears
30th November 2010, 09:12
Harris could be a dark horse if he gets selected. He's playing very well at the moment but the extent that his injury will hold him back is unknown.

MrJan
30th November 2010, 11:31
The series is named after a satirical obituary published in a British newspaper, The Sporting Times, in 1882 after a match at The Oval in which Australia beat England on an English ground for the first time. The obituary stated that English cricket had died, and the body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia. The English media dubbed the next English tour to Australia (1882–83) as the quest to regain The Ashes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes

Yup, and I believe that they burnt the bails (things that go on the top of the stumps, in case you don't know) and put the ashes of them into the little urn. Interesting that such a large sporting event was created out of a bit of banter between the two nations.

Dr. Krogshöj
30th November 2010, 12:55
There will be a new film about the Ashes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ3mdrQeTHE. It looks to be a realistic Hollywood sports film.

Rollo
3rd December 2010, 00:17
3-3 seriously. Let's all laugh at Australia.

I hear that Qatar have offered to play a Test series against the Aussies to give them some practice :D