PDA

View Full Version : Richard Burns Rally tips

MrMetro
23rd November 2010, 12:16
Hello all :)

I'm on the final rally school test, and IMO its not easy, so I was wondering if anyone on this fine forum have any tips that may be of assistance, not just for rally school, but the entire game itself

Thanks in advance

IronRooster92

lcd
23rd November 2010, 13:16
Got a tip for you: the more practice, the better!
That's the game's biggest secret! ;)

Bruce D
23rd November 2010, 13:33
Yeah, no rally driver was ever great without practice. But also the following - listen to the notes, never lose concentration on them. The main one I found too was to slow yourself down, concentrate on being neat first. making as little mistakes as possible in each stage and that helps a lot.

What I found helped me a lot was doing lots of seasons against the AI on the highest level. That teaches you to keep it on the road and be fast.

pettersolberg29
23rd November 2010, 14:02
Depending how seriously you take it, it's also important to look at how you are sitting and what distractions there are. I can never do a stage well if the radio is on, or TV or if I'm sitting uncomfortably. But the secret is not to focus too much otherwise you think too much rather than naturally do what you should. If you watch rallying then what I did was try and replicate how the drivers steer i.e. lots of little movements to correct yourself, and rarely go on full lock for more than a fraction of a second. Also, if there is a ford/bumps/jump, then slow down a lot as the 0.1s you lose slowing down may save the 20s lost fom crashing!

That's the only advice I have other than practise.

MrMetro
23rd November 2010, 17:27
cheers for the advice guys, I finally completed rally school, there was lots of shouting,cursing and feelings of giving up, but I stuck at it :)

I'm going to get some practice on the stages and I may enter either Bruce's RBR Cup, or tannats mod free series in the future...

lcd
23rd November 2010, 18:04
...I'm going to get some practice on the stages and I may enter either Bruce's RBR Cup, or tannats mod free series in the future...

Having a competition will make you better In a shorter time. ;)

tannat
23rd November 2010, 18:59
cheers for the advice guys, I finally completed rally school, there was lots of shouting,cursing and feelings of giving up, but I stuck at it :)

I'm going to get some practice on the stages and I may enter either Bruce's RBR Cup, or tannats mod free series in the future...

Would be great having you, rooster :up:

Bruce D
24th November 2010, 05:39
Having a competition will make you better In a shorter time. ;)

That is true, a lot of guys improved just by competing in our league, but thats also why I say competing against the AI in seasons is very good.

MrMetro
27th November 2010, 18:43
testing the MG around France...

MrMetro
28th November 2010, 14:15
anybody got any decent set-up tips :D

Bruce D
28th November 2010, 17:23
Don't go too mad adjusting setups, go slowly otherwise you'll lose where you were. I found that if the car is bouncing around a lot over bumps then its a good thing to lower the bump and rebound settings on the dampers. NeverKnow is your real expert here though.

MrJan
28th November 2010, 21:49
The best thing to do for RBR is to forget that you've ever played another rallying game because it's like nothing else. Slow and steady is the only way to get through it, once you start getting the hang of it you graduall start pushing more in wide sections. I'm crap but when I first started playing I seemed impossible

Bruce D
29th November 2010, 05:36
That is true, it's like nothing else out there. Funny enough I found this game helped me learn how to drive quickly in GPL!

NeverKnow
29th November 2010, 08:17
I have to agree that people should start playing this "game" slowly and gradually picking up speed. If you are feeling that the car itself (not the driver) is controlling where the car is going, you are going too fast. There should never be a moment where you feel you don't have control over the car.

About setups, it is general idea that softer suspension has more grip and is less responsive than stiffer suspension. A good place to start learning how to setup a car, is to read RBR manual(found on RBR DVD). It explains what setup option does and what is the general idea behind it.

IronRooster if you want some specific help, the I'm more than willing to help. For bump problems, I'd advise, like Bruce already stated, use softer damper setting, especially the rebound setting. It should be about 3/4 of normal bump setting. Though after this change the car moves more underbraking and on heavy acceleration. Also using stiffer and longer helper springs helps as well. This might change suspension geometry little bit but not that much that is noticable.

MrMetro
30th November 2010, 22:21
some good advice there guys, cheers

:beer:

tannat
30th November 2010, 22:37
anybody got any decent set-up tips :D

I've done resaonably well using defaults on all surfaces. The bumps on the Japan stages are a bit unsettling though...

MrMetro
1st December 2010, 11:39
I have to agree that people should start playing this "game" slowly and gradually picking up speed. If you are feeling that the car itself (not the driver) is controlling where the car is going, you are going too fast. There should never be a moment where you feel you don't have control over the car.

About setups, it is general idea that softer suspension has more grip and is less responsive than stiffer suspension. A good place to start learning how to setup a car, is to read RBR manual(found on RBR DVD). It explains what setup option does and what is the general idea behind it.

IronRooster if you want some specific help, the I'm more than willing to help. For bump problems, I'd advise, like Bruce already stated, use softer damper setting, especially the rebound setting. It should be about 3/4 of normal bump setting. Though after this change the car moves more underbraking and on heavy acceleration. Also using stiffer and longer helper springs helps as well. This might change suspension geometry little bit but not that much that is noticable.

Cheers neverknow. Reading the manual helps alot, it explains the effects of what everything does, which is a great help. The main problem i had at first was bumps, if you go too fast, it goes flying. It really is a proper rally sim

tannat
1st December 2010, 12:02
The bumps-aye... They are a problem... :p

tannat
2nd December 2010, 11:49
I read your post in the Portugal thread, ran a stage and it highlighted some important things worth sharing.

1) Listen to your co driver
-make certain you have your pace notes delivered when you want them delivered. Are they coming too soon? Too Late? This is adjustable in the options menu

2) Are you using call out distances? I find this a MAJOR help, and it almost dictates my application of the accelerator. For instance if I hear a call of 10 or 30 for distance, you better believe I'm not gooing for broke on the accelerator. However, if I here 70 or 100 and above I'm all in...

3) Cut don't cut-if the co-driver says these things they REALLY mean something, and I am convinced that if you are told to don't cut and do cut-99.9% of the time you will roll or spin. I am almost convinced the programmers designed it this way. HEED THE CO DRIVER!!! :devil:

4) How is your screen lighting? I play on a laptop, and just a slight adjustment in screen angle will do wonders for the brightness of the stages

5) One area I don't hear mentioned often is the controller settings in the options menu. Here you can tune your input to the controller to control for being 'ham-fisted' for lack of a better term. If you are constantly locking brakes, get into spins it might be worth your time to play with this menu a bit.

6) Stage knowledge-practice makes perfect :D

MrMetro
2nd December 2010, 14:40
I read your post in the Portugal thread, ran a stage and it highlighted some important things worth sharing.

1) Listen to your co driver
-make certain you have your pace notes delivered when you want them delivered. Are they coming too soon? Too Late? This is adjustable in the options menu

2) Are you using call out distances? I find this a MAJOR help, and it almost dictates my application of the accelerator. For instance if I hear a call of 10 or 30 for distance, you better believe I'm not gooing for broke on the accelerator. However, if I here 70 or 100 and above I'm all in...

3) Cut don't cut-if the co-driver says these things they REALLY mean something, and I am convinced that if you are told to don't cut and do cut-99.9% of the time you will roll or spin. I am almost convinced the programmers designed it this way. HEED THE CO DRIVER!!! :devil:

4) How is your screen lighting? I play on a laptop, and just a slight adjustment in screen angle will do wonders for the brightness of the stages

5) One area I don't hear mentioned often is the controller settings in the options menu. Here you can tune your input to the controller to control for being 'ham-fisted' for lack of a better term. If you are constantly locking brakes, get into spins it might be worth your time to play with this menu a bit.

6) Stage knowledge-practice makes perfect :D

Cheers tannat. I am going to play about with the settings for my pedals, I think they are too sensitive at the moment.

MrMetro
5th December 2010, 16:29
Does anybody know how to adjust sensitivity for pedals? The reason I ask is, when I touch the throttle a tiny bit, it goes to 60 nearly straight away and keeps going faster. As you can imagine, its quite tough not being able to manage my speed in a realistic rally game :hmph:

NeverKnow
5th December 2010, 17:02
My guess is that the pedals are not calibrated properly. Have look in Game Controllers in Control Panel if they are calibrated correctly.

NeverKnow
6th December 2010, 07:24
I also noticed that sometimes RBR registers input of wheel and pedals wrongly if I don't use them before I start RBR. For example it would register that the gas is full down but I only pressed down about half way or the other way around. With my previous wheel the pedals would remain on combined axis (not on separate axis) unless I used them before RBR. Now I have habit that I check the calibration of the wheel and pedals every time in the Control Panel before I start RBR.