PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago!!!

Brown, Jon Brow
12th March 2007, 20:18
It was 1997.

BBC4 have been showing shows related to 1997 this week. I remember it like it was yesterday. Events such as the death of Diana, start of Tony Blairs reign, the start of Channel 5, Renaults winning in the BTCC, my debut for Shap Primary school football team.

Overall I have happy memories of 1997, but I can't believe it was a decade ago. Maybe I'm just getting old. :confused:

Hazell B
12th March 2007, 20:25
Yep, you're officially passed it :p :

Erki
12th March 2007, 20:26
My only memory from 1997 is that on my 10th birthday, I ate a pineapple.

jens
12th March 2007, 21:40
March in 1997? I'm doing my best, but I can't remember anything precisely. :p : Although I remember a bit about other months. :s pin: But memories from earlier winter, spring, summer and autumn are so fresh and abudant that it would take too much time to talk about them. :p :

akv89
12th March 2007, 21:45
It feels like all time stopped at the turn of the millenium. So although it is a decade, it feels more like 3 or 4 years :s

jens
12th March 2007, 21:54
It feels like all time stopped at the turn of the millenium. So although it is a decade, it feels more like 3 or 4 years :s

Yeah, every year the time seems to move faster! When I was a small kid, it seemed to take an age to see the next year. Now we have had 2007 already over two months and I have hardly got used to the number of 2006. :crazy: I suppose I won't accustomize with 2007 and have to start getting ready for 2008 already now. :p :

Rollo
12th March 2007, 22:28
In 1997 we still had the Spice Girls, Britrock and Mr Blair come to power.

I hate to sound insensitive but Lady Diana's death really ticked me off. I was in Liverpool for the fixture against Newcastle United and they bloody well went and postponed it until January because of her. The nerve! She could have at least died mid-week. Without a football match on, I had to ride my Vesper back through the rain back home to Blackpool because of her. :angryfire :

By the end of the year I was living in a University apartment on Matthew St. On Christmas Day 1997, some bozo smashed the front window of my 2300HS but I guess that they either felt sorry or disinterested because they didn't steal anything.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th March 2007, 22:32
I hate to sound insensitive but Lady Diana's death really ticked me off. I was in Liverpool for the fixture against Newcastle United and they bloody well went and postponed it until January because of her. The nerve! She could have at least died mid-week. Without a football match on, I had to ride my Vesper back through the rain back home to Blackpool because of her. :angryfire :

When they eventually played that game was it one of the 4-3 crackers?

Rollo
13th March 2007, 03:17
Nah, it was a horrid wet sort of thing. 1-0 from the boot of the new kid Michael Owen. Oh how things have changed.

Josti
13th March 2007, 13:16
1997, great year..first time I visited a real Rally. Got hooked on it since then :up:

BrentJackson
13th March 2007, 18:41
1997. I was 12 then, just getting into life if you will.

Lots of stuff I remember. My first mountain bike race, finishing 5th in a cross-country race (my best ever finish admittedly), moving to London (Ontario not England), travelling all summer (all over the USA - good times :) ) and generally just living life. :cool:

BDunnell
13th March 2007, 19:51
It was 1997.

BBC4 have been showing shows related to 1997 this week. I remember it like it was yesterday. Events such as the death of Diana...

I saw the (very good) programme with Mark Lawson looking at the year's major news events, and was reminded of how disturbing public reaction to Diana's death became. Definitely one of the worst things about that year.

On the other hand, the morning of 2 May was pretty euphoric. Shame it didn't last...

BeansBeansBeans
13th March 2007, 23:26
I hate to sound insensitive but Lady Diana's death really ticked me off. I was in Liverpool for the fixture against Newcastle United and they bloody well went and postponed it until January because of her. The nerve!

Ditto here.

I was 17 years old, and the Liverpool v Newcastle match was due to be my first visit to Anfield with friends (I usually went with my Dad).

I just remember my Dad coming into my bedroom in the morning and saying 'the match is off', and thinking 'yeah, stop trying to wind me up'. Half an hour later he popped his head in again and said 'it really is off you know, Princess Diana has died'.