PDA

View Full Version : It's a nice day for a posh wedding

Dave B
18th November 2010, 13:23
In the UK, it's been impossible to escape the news that there's going to be a royal wedding next year. The front pages of all the papers have been heaving with the story, and it clogged up all the TV and radio for hours the other day.

Yet no thread here. Anyone really care?

I wish them well and all that, they seem like your typical nice-but-dim couple, but honestly I can't begin to get excited about this. The papers are banging on about what the dress might look like, where the ceremony might be held, where the honeymoon might be, who might be paying for it... I couldn't give a stuff.

Is it just me?

Mark
18th November 2010, 13:41
It's a nice story and I must admit to sitting and watching the 30 minute special that the BBC just so happened to have ready on the day.

But I agree all the speculation is pretty pointless, but I'll likely be watching it when it happens - I'm assuming it'll be on TV! After all it's history in the making.

fandango
18th November 2010, 13:42
It makes the people of Ireland happy - that they live in a Republic, and at least don't have to pay for that! :)

I loved the bit about him giving her his mother's ring "because obviously she can't be here". It was something about how he said it, as if the media would speculate whether Di would make an appearance.

Mark
18th November 2010, 13:45
whether Di would make an appearance.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if she managed it!

GridGirl
18th November 2010, 14:03
I'll care more if we get a free bank holiday out of it. At the end of the day, they had been dating for 8 years. He was going to have marry her or dump her for some blue blood sooner or later. The heir to the thrown couldn't exactly keep stringing her on forever.

Me and Williams share the same birthday. I'm also hoping he becomes king so I can get an extra bank holiday. I feel we deserve one in June. ;)

schmenke
18th November 2010, 14:35
Riots in Haiti
Terrorists aquitted in Guantanamo
H5N1 bird flu in Hong Kong
Suu Kyi speaks to the public

Front Page news: Prince William to Wed

:dozey:

Captain VXR
18th November 2010, 14:35
yawn.

Mark
18th November 2010, 15:56
I hear a lot of talk of days off. But it'll likely be on a Saturday I would have thought?

Eki
18th November 2010, 16:00
Riots in Haiti
Terrorists aquitted in Guantanamo
H5N1 bird flu in Hong Kong
Suu Kyi speaks to the public

Front Page news: Prince William to Wed

:dozey:
At least he's not to Fri.

Ghostwalker
18th November 2010, 16:50
I hear a lot of talk of days off. But it'll likely be on a Saturday I would have thought?

that was the case in June this year when our throne heir wed.

Easy Drifter
18th November 2010, 16:52
Oh Mon!
That is what too much Sun will do to you. :p :

Eki
18th November 2010, 17:01
Oh Mon!
That is what too much Sun will do to you. :p :

Et Tue, Brute? I just Sat here minding my own business, I didn't mean to turn this thread into a calendar.

inimitablestoo
18th November 2010, 19:01
Talk is we'll get a day off in lieu. Or in the loo, I might have misheard.

Interesting timing by BBC4: this time next week, there's "another chance to see" the infamous 1995 interview in which some woman called Diana tells Martin Bashir that "there are three people in this marriage"...

BDunnell
18th November 2010, 19:18
Talk is we'll get a day off in lieu. Or in the loo, I might have misheard.

Interesting timing by BBC4: this time next week, there's "another chance to see" the infamous 1995 interview in which some woman called Diana tells Martin Bashir that "there are three people in this marriage"...

Far more interesting than that would be to see a repeat of the infamous ITV 'Monarchy Debate' from around the same time, one of the most hilariously chaotic, ill-conceived and appalling programmes ever broadcast.

As for the wedding, I couldn't give a **** and object to having to pay for it, no matter how miniscule each individual taxpayer's contribution is.

Jag_Warrior
18th November 2010, 20:15
As someone who sees weddings pretty much the same way I do funerals (best not to get involved in one until you HAVE to), about all I can do is offer the kid my condolences.

J4MIE
18th November 2010, 20:30
Really don't care at all....

gadjo_dilo
19th November 2010, 07:10
Finally we can see something else on the front page than the boring Cheryl Cole. :laugh:

At least they're royals....
Otherwise I can't understand the british obsession with a singer of average talent and beauty.

ShiftingGears
19th November 2010, 07:58
Can't think of anything more boring.

Lousada
19th November 2010, 11:14
What's the point of royals nowadays anyway. It used to be that they were gods gift to mankind. But now they are marrying into redblooded commoners it makes them awfully ordinary. They are not much more than publicly owned celebrities in my opinion.

Captain VXR
19th November 2010, 17:37
My half sister's civil partnership is a wedding I'm looking forward to next year. I don't care about anyone stranger's wedding especially when it comes out of tax payer's money, unless there's a bank holiday to go with it

Mark
23rd November 2010, 12:07
Friday 29th April, put it in your diaries!

Friday!.. Raises the prospect of a Bank Holiday?! Although it will only be 3 days after Easter Monday!

Might be a result for me, as I was planning to take that week of work anyway, so get that day for free? :D

GridGirl
23rd November 2010, 13:08
I'm going to take my bank holiday Monday and wedding bank holiday and turn it into a full weeks holiday too. As Easter is is late next year I've head from a few teacher friends that the kids go back to school on the Tuesday after Easter bank holiday. Sounds like a good week to have off as hopefully if I do go anywhere I wont have to pay inflated school holiday prices. :)

I knew I would be more interested in this wedding if we got a free bank holiday out of it. :D

Dave B
23rd November 2010, 13:45
I knew I would be more interested in this wedding if we got a free bank holiday out of it. :D

Our esteemed and wonderful Prime Minister* has said he's in favour of a bank holiday but it's a decision for the royal family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11789840

*If you click the link be aware that the first frame is a picture of his fat shiny gurning punchable-until-I-breathe-my-last-breath face.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd November 2010, 16:58
Ah yes...the patriotism of our UK posters!!

I wish the heir well, because by the time his Dad is done being king, The Commonwealth will likely be Republics. I like Madge, but man, Charles just doesn't have any credability. The unique thing about QE2 is she has a class, a demeanour and politeness that is unique to royalty. Her idiot son? He may fake it, but he doesn't have it. Wills seems to be a good man, but I really think his dad will so sully the monarachy it may not be relevent by the time Wills is able to assume the throne. That is assuming the UK hasn't tossed them!

Enjoy the Royal wedding...it may be the last one of consequence....

schmenke
23rd November 2010, 17:09
... but I really think his dad will so sully the monarachy it may not be relevent by the time Wills is able to assume the throne. ....

I get the feeling Chuck really doesn't want the throne and will abdicate to Will.
What do the Brits think?

Mark, I agree with you about Liz.

GridGirl
23rd November 2010, 18:42
Our esteemed and wonderful Prime Minister* has said he's in favour of a bank holiday but it's a decision for the royal family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11789840

*If you click the link be aware that the first frame is a picture of his fat shiny gurning punchable-until-I-breathe-my-last-breath face.

The link I read at lunch time said that the cabinet had agreed the public holiday this morning :)

J4MIE
23rd November 2010, 18:44
Looking good for a holiday then......... as I work* for an English company I don't mind if Scotland doesn't get it. Just need to hope the rally will be the previous weekend and it'll be a nice trip :s

inimitablestoo
23rd November 2010, 19:34
Friday 29th April, put it in your diaries!

Friday!.. Raises the prospect of a Bank Holiday?! Although it will only be 3 days after Easter Monday!

Might be a result for me, as I was planning to take that week of work anyway, so get that day for free? :D
People did say Cameron would take Britain back to the three-day week. Didn't think he'd give in that easily ;)