PDA

View Full Version : F1 Karma

Tazio
17th November 2010, 01:11
:s ailor: Avanti
It seems to me that F1 tidied itself up in the last race. I don't want to get too elaborate here. I would rather hear others idea's along these lines.
First you have the Anglo/Mafia united against one pilot. Taking history into consideration this is not a surprise, however that wish came to fruition.
But why?
You have this German pilot that took nothing but grief from them (much very deserved) which only made him an easy target since he won so many races for Ferrari, and decided to race again. As a Ferrari enthusiast, and former admirer of his personally I never thought he could do anything to ruin his reputation by making another run. It appears that in the grand scheme of things he somehow brought the season right, in doing so maybe actually endeared himself to the F1 gods, and us mortals. If Mike hadn't brought out the Safety Car the most likely result would have been just as boring of a race and Fred claiming his ill-gotten gains (by less than 7 points) and all the crap that goes along with that.
Bernie (or Flavio) could not dream up this scenario. (Maybe Flavio could)
So F1 for all of its inequities and collusion seems to have somehow got things right.

To summarize:

Fred took second when it was thought the only way he could lose was to detonate his lump.
The UK won nothing except not having to endure another sport that Spain seems to be kicking everybody’s @$$ at lately
Mike finds a way to take the title out of Fred’s hands, something he couldn't do after 2004
and somehow make himself relevant in a season that was far lower than most prognosticators were projecting.
The Boss over the last couple of races proved why he is #1 at McLaren.
Webber lost the title on merit in Brazil
And Vettel showed that in his hands the RB6 deserved exactly what it got.

Rollo
17th November 2010, 01:40
would have been just as boring of a race and Fred claiming his ill-gotten gains (by less than 7 points) and all the crap that goes along with that.

Ill-Gotten Gains? How so?
What we saw at the end of the 2010 season was a spluttery choke-fest with Alonso, Webber and Hamilton all having retirements which was their own fault.
The difference was that Vettel should have won in Korea, but his car decided to let go on him.

If Fernando had won the title by finishing in fourth (which is what I suspect the team tactics were about), then he would have done so by playing a percentage game; he would have done so had Renault and Mercedes not played as a fine a game as they had.

Tazio
17th November 2010, 02:12
Ill-Gotten Gains? How so?
What we saw at the end of the 2010 season was a spluttery choke-fest with Alonso, Webber and Hamilton all having retirements which was their own fault.
The difference was that Vettel should have won in Korea, but his car decided to let go on him.

If Fernando had won the title by finishing in fourth (which is what I suspect the team tactics were about), then he would have done so by playing a percentage game; he would have done so had Renault and Mercedes not played as a fine a game as they had.Rollo bless your heart. :)
I can always count on you to have the empirical answer, I know that about you.
This is about Mike, who REALLY WASN'T IN THE POSITION OF CHOKING, he was driving better in the last couple of race's which makes me wonder why a guy whose career I followed, did that then :confused:
and more so about Karma (something I hope isn't real or I’m in BIG trouble). Call it "Poetic Justice" why Coleridge decided to be creative when another famous English Romantic Poet of the time, a close friend I think it was Lord Byron, but for some reason I want to say it was Wordsworth that told Coleridge his real talent only lay in criticism, not creativity.
Then he wrote “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner”
I feel you bro.
I gotta’ be me.

Anyone care to touch the "Ethereal Plane"? :s ailor:

Valve Bounce
17th November 2010, 02:28
I think you give SchM too much credit here. The way I see it, Ferrari's stupidity cost Alonso the title, no one else can claim that honor.

Tazio
17th November 2010, 02:47
I think you give SchM too much credit here. The way I see it, Ferrari's stupidity cost Alonso the title, no one else can claim that honor.

Maybe I always have?
I would not be alone, to say nothing of the fact that you are an engineer so I don't disagree with you
I was one of the Tifosi that thought the engine would blow! It ends up he rides over 1/2 the race in "dirty french air" because of Ferrari stupidity.
Check where I stand on this issue. This is what Mike almost did in 2003 he tried to hold on for 1 point and if it wasn't for Rubens.... it would have been Kimi

Valve Bounce
17th November 2010, 03:55
Maybe I always have?
I would not be alone, to say nothing of the fact that you are an engineer so I don't disagree with you
I was one of the Tifosi that thought the engine would blow! It ends up he rides over 1/2 the race in "dirty french air" because of Ferrari stupidity.
Check where I stand on this issue. This is what Mike almost did in 2003 he tried to hold on for 1 point and if it wasn't for Rubens.... it would have been Kimi

Doing Engineering was one of the stupidest things I ever did - I should have been a criminal lawyer. :(

fandango
17th November 2010, 08:33
Spain haven't done too well in F1 for a few years now.

Depends how you look at it. They started they season with three drivers, and one team (well, HRT are classified as a team). Another team may possibly enter. Two races in the country isn't bad. If you compare it to how things were a few years ago, when Spanish national TV didn't even show all the races, I'd say things are progressing nicely.

Tazio
17th November 2010, 10:48
Spain haven't done too well in F1 for a few years now. Britain have 2 WDC's in two years and have won the constructors championship the last two years aswell. I class Red Bull as a British team due to who it employs and where it is based, not who funds it. The same goes with Mercedes, Force India, Virgin, Lotus etc etc.

One point worth mentioning in Alonso's favour was the fact he has finished ahead of Lewis in the WDC for the first time since Lewis entered the sport. :)

My clumsy comment came out wrong.
What I meant was Spain did not win /distinguish itself as the champion of yet another major sport, something it has been doing a lot of lately, although F1 has not been one of them.
The Boss has been near the top every year he has driven in a one-seater.
As long as he stays at McLaren they will be in the fight! :up:

Big Ben
17th November 2010, 11:20
One point worth mentioning in Alonso's favour was the fact he has finished ahead of Lewis in the WDC for the first time since Lewis entered the sport. :)

Just another example of why statistics are like bikinis :p :.

Valve Bounce
17th November 2010, 11:29
Just another example of why statistics are like bikinis :p :.

..................or light poles for drunks to lean on. :p :

Tazio
17th November 2010, 11:53
My clumsy comment came out wrong.
What I meant was Spain did not win /distinguish itself as the champion of yet another major sport, something it has been doing a lot of lately, although F1 has not been one of them.
The Boss has been near the top every year he has driven in a one-seater.
As long as he stays at McLaren they will be in the fight! :up:

......And I just think that a season, granted a very close one came out very equitably, as if there was something cosmic about the way it ended.
And yes being based in Milton Keynes Red Bull is obliged to play 'God save the Queen' after a win; but, they are not really perceived as a British team because of who owns them.
Renault up until very recently could be argued were a British Team under these parameters you have suggested. Every team is at least a little British, as far as that goes. But Williams and McLaren are really truly "The Brit's" teams, with a reasonable argument that Mercedes is as well, as Lotus (of course), Force India, (and Virgin for sure).
But none of them did much winning. It is your sport which the premise of this topic takes into consideration. This was not a year when British traditional world champions won.