PDA

View Full Version : F1 2010 Time Trial Videos

CaptainRaiden
15th November 2010, 22:19
Troubles in cross-posting this in the Simulations forum, so I'll post it here again. I thought we all can post videos of our Time Trial runs here. I'll start off with my run at Melbourne, Australia. My time 1:23.830 was a bit slower, probably because of the frame rate dropping down to 30 FPS because I was recording. I have done times around 1:22.8 or 1:22.6 here.

12hJ87j8cHs

Time: 1:23:830

Best seen in 720p HD.

Setup used: Dry setup on the far right.
All Driving Assists OFF.
Wheel: Logitech Momo Racing
GFWL ID: CaptainRaiden

Please feel free to post any videos or screenshots you may have. Probably we could have some little competitions going as well, where we try to beat each other's times at a certain track. For people who can't record videos, they can post screenshots of their time at certain circuits as well. I'll post Monaco soon.

CaptainRaiden
16th November 2010, 09:23
Monaco - Monte Carlo: God I LOVE this track! A few minor mistakes on this run though, but it was good enough for a 1:12 lap. Here is the video:

_2qwOpXbeos

Time: 1:12.897

Best seen in 720p HD.

Setup used: http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-setups/38867-monte-carlo-monaco-dry.html
All Driving Assists OFF.
Wheel: Logitech Momo Racing
GFWL ID: CaptainRaiden

Brown, Jon Brow
16th November 2010, 20:37
That Monaco lap is insane. Some of your braking points are impossibly late!

The best I can do at Albert park is a 1:25. I think I'm losing time at turn 2 because I can't find a braking point.

My best result on an Xbox live time trial leaderboard is about 600th at Hockenhiem with a 1:14.

In my defence I'm having to use a controller pad ;)

steveaki13
16th November 2010, 21:23
:mad:

My Ps3 has just decided to stop loading any discs. And clunks when I put them in.

Just as I was about to load F1.

Sonic
16th November 2010, 22:22
Fu_k! Those are some HOT laps. I've got some serious practise to do ;)

Challenge accepted!

CaptainRaiden
17th November 2010, 07:11
That Monaco lap is insane. Some of your braking points are impossibly late!

The best I can do at Albert park is a 1:25. I think I'm losing time at turn 2 because I can't find a braking point.

My best result on an Xbox live time trial leaderboard is about 600th at Hockenhiem with a 1:14.

In my defence I'm having to use a controller pad ;)

Hey, thanks! Not really difficult to get braking points late with manual shifting. If you look at the Monaco lap and the Melbourne lap as well, I'm using a lot of engine braking, downshifting one gear extra to get better grip and traction into the corners. This won't be possible with automatic shifting. For example, many corners that would normally be taken in 4th, I guess I'm taking in 3rd. So, it's easy to carry a lot of speed into corners, and the engine braking helps to get the car stopped. This would destroy the gearbox in real life, but in the game not so much. Plus it's Time Trial, so tyre and fuel simulation is off by default, and that means a lighter car and much more grip, easier to brake later. One can get braver and braver on brakes with some extra laps.

That time at Hockenheim is good with a controller. I don't think I would be able to play this game with a controller. I'll pretty much suck at it for sure. So, 1:14 with a controller at Hockenheim is pretty good. :up:

Challenge accepted!

Thanks. Nice to see some competition going for time trials. Trying to become faster and faster is a true racer's mentality, isn't it? :)

There are some good car setups here: http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-setups/

They work well with wheels and controllers, I guess not so good with keyboards. But one would have to be crazy to play this game with a keyboard! :p

CaptainRaiden
17th November 2010, 07:20

For turn 2, I brake as soon as the apex is visible on the screen, so I made that as my braking point for that turn. Of course this won't work if you're playing with tyre and fuel simulation on, like in Expert/Legend mode in Career. It would be wiser to brake a little early in that case.

Bruce D
17th November 2010, 08:06
The way I do turn 2 is to remember that there are 3 brake marker boards there and I need to wait for just after the 2nd one to brake (in TT mode). With fuel sim on braking at the 2nd board is the only way around the corner.

The only corner in the game that I find you can really brake very late for is turn 1 at Catalunya. The most difficult ones to find your brake markers are the 2 hairpins at Valencia and the hairpin at the end of the long straight at China.

Zico
17th November 2010, 10:21
Hey, thanks! Not really difficult to get braking points late with manual shifting. If you look at the Monaco lap and the Melbourne lap as well, I'm using a lot of engine braking, downshifting one gear extra to get better grip and traction into the corners. This won't be possible with automatic shifting. For example, many corners that would normally be taken in 4th, I guess I'm taking in 3rd. So, it's easy to carry a lot of speed into corners, and the engine braking helps to get the car stopped.

That time at Hockenheim is good with a controller. I don't think I would be able to play this game with a controller. I'll pretty much suck at it for sure. So, 1:14 with a controller at Hockenheim is pretty good. :up:

Love your Monaco lap.. that looks intense, serious fun, makes me realise what Im missing, I need to get my pc upgraded just to play this.

I totally agree about the controller, once you have played racing games like this with a wheel and pedals, you cant go back to a controller without it feeling that its just half the game.
I have an old Thrustmaster F1 with forcefeedback but the great thing about it is that it also has brake and throttle levers on the wheel as well... as I find the floor pedals move about too much. I've had it for a long time and had to make DIY repairs to keep it working over the years (Rubber bands for throttle/brake lever springs etc :D ) So if anyone knows of another decent wheel with analogue brake and throttle levers on the actual wheel please let me know.

CaptainRaiden
17th November 2010, 10:55
Love your Monaco lap.. that looks intense, serious fun, makes me realise what Im missing, I need to get my pc upgraded just to play this.

I absolutely love this track, there's so much to do. But going by the same principle, I absolutely suck at Hungaroring. Something just doesn't go right there. :p

Upgrading your PC would be worth it, seriously. You have F1 2010 right now, then you have rFactor 2 coming up, and GTR3 coming up in 2011, two very serious simulation racers. So, many hours of racing ahead. Or you could also get a PS3 and a Logitech wheel, it'll be cheaper and less hassle I guess. But PC gamers would always prefer to upgrade, isn't it? :D

I totally agree about the controller, once you have played racing games like this with a wheel and pedals, you cant go back to a controller without it feeling that its just half the game.
I have an old Thrustmaster F1 with forcefeedback but the great thing about it is that it also has brake and throttle levers on the wheel as well... as I find the floor pedals move about too much. I've had it for a long time and had to make DIY repairs to keep it working over the years (Rubber bands for throttle/brake lever springs etc :D ) So if anyone knows of another decent wheel with analogue brake and throttle levers on the actual wheel please let me know.

I played F1 05 on the PS2 with a controller, and quite enjoyed it, but then again that was total arcade, and F1 2010 is a whole another game. On some circuits it's just impossible to get a good time without a wheel IMO.

If you're looking for a better wheel, I'd suggest Logitech Momo. It's been discontinued by Logitech in favor of the newer Driving Force GT, about which I don't know how good it is. I know the Logitech G25 or the G27 are better wheels, but I wouldn't fork out three times the money. Besides I've raced against lots of G25 and G27 owners online, and frankly haven't seen them having much of an advantage. Momo works absolutely brilliant in almost all games.

As for the pedals moving around, the pedal tray in my Momo has this adjustable rubber/spike thingy, which if you're on a carpet, you can put the spikes on, it grips on it and is steady as a rock, wouldn't move a millimeter even in extreme gaming. And if you put it on a floor, you can push the spikes in, and it has these sticky rubber thingies on each side, which again grips pretty good on the floor. Stable as hell.

Here's the link for Momo: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Force-Feedback-Racing-Wheel/dp/B00006HYLN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289990378&sr=8-1

If you have the extra $300 to fork out, then you should definitely go for the G27 as that's the best you can get right now. You have other recommendations on the same page as well. Hope that helps.

Sonic
17th November 2010, 12:25

Challenge accepted!

Challenged failed! Lol. Spent all last night hammering round Albert Park on TT. Best lap? 1m24.8s. Epic fail! Is it really that much better with a wheel? I'm on the ps3 controller ATM.

CaptainRaiden
17th November 2010, 12:47
Challenged failed! Lol. Spent all last night hammering round Albert Park on TT. Best lap? 1m24.8s. Epic fail! Is it really that much better with a wheel? I'm on the ps3 controller ATM.

Haven't played this game with a controller yet, but the wheel HAS to be better. There's just so much more precision. When I play online against people who I'm assuming have controllers, you can see them twitching all over the place, in corners, even on the straight, and their lap times are some times 2 seconds slower.

Steve Hood, one of the game's designer, I think he said on his Twitter account that they tested all the peripherals with this game, and the lap time was 0.3 seconds faster with a wheel compared to a controller and a keyboard. I think it has to be at least a second faster with assists off, especially with manual gearing because you're that much in control.

Probably won't feel much difference with an arcade handling like the NFS games, but it will make a huge difference in simulation games and semi-sim games such as F1 2010.

Zico
17th November 2010, 15:52
Thanks for the link. I would be prepared to fork out for a quality wheel as well as a decent chassis/seat but I've grown to apreciate the anologue hand throttle/brake levers on the Thrustmaster F1 wheel that I'd really prefer another similar wheel, perhaps like this.. http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=21&PlatformID=5

Found a review for it here along with some reviews of some interesting but expensive high end sim racing kit such as the CST pedals. http://www.autosimsport.net/index2/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=41&Itemid=59

Its been a few years since I've had the time to be able to seriously go racing online, the last time was TRD3 in Sim mode when it first came out and the odd modded RBR session since then. I think the Mrs will divorce me if I go ahead and upgrade my old rig.. :D

Haven't played this game with a controller yet, but the wheel HAS to be better. There's just so much more precision. When I play online against people who I'm assuming have controllers, you can see them twitching all over the place, in corners, even on the straight, and their lap times are some times 2 seconds slower.

Steve Hood, one of the game's designer, I think he said on his Twitter account that they tested all the peripherals with this game, and the lap time was 0.3 seconds faster with a wheel compared to a controller and a keyboard. I think it has to be at least a second faster with assists off, especially with manual gearing because you're that much in control.

Probably won't feel much difference with an arcade handling like the NFS games, but it will make a huge difference in simulation games and semi-sim games such as F1 2010.

In TRD3 I was aprox 0.5 - 1.5 secs quicker (depending on the circuit) than the very best controller players, you really do have so much more control, not only that but it seems to make the game a lot more involving especially when you can feel the grip with FORCEFEEDBACK, playing the game/sim like it should be played.

Brown, Jon Brow
17th November 2010, 20:43
I have played racing games in the past with wheels and I have always found them terrible. Maybe it is different with a force feedback wheel. I'll have to try and find one.

CaptainRaiden
18th November 2010, 08:13
Thanks for the link. I would be prepared to fork out for a quality wheel as well as a decent chassis/seat but I've grown to apreciate the anologue hand throttle/brake levers on the Thrustmaster F1 wheel that I'd really prefer another similar wheel, perhaps like this.. http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=21&PlatformID=5

Found a review for it here along with some reviews of some interesting but expensive high end sim racing kit such as the CST pedals. http://www.autosimsport.net/index2/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=41&Itemid=59

Its been a few years since I've had the time to be able to seriously go racing online, the last time was TRD3 in Sim mode when it first came out and the odd modded RBR session since then. I think the Mrs will divorce me if I go ahead and upgrade my old rig.. :D

In TRD3 I was aprox 0.5 - 1.5 secs quicker (depending on the circuit) than the very best controller players, you really do have so much more control, not only that but it seems to make the game a lot more involving especially when you can feel the grip with FORCEFEEDBACK, playing the game/sim like it should be played.

That looks interesting, and I'm intrigued to find out how it would work in a game with those analog hand throttle and brake levers. Can you get the same precision as with pedals? Wouldn't your hands be too busy steering, changing gears, accelerating and braking all with the wheel?

CaptainRaiden
18th November 2010, 08:17
I have played racing games in the past with wheels and I have always found them terrible. Maybe it is different with a force feedback wheel. I'll have to try and find one.

Oh, it's absolutely a whole world of difference with force feedback. I tried Richard Burns Rally with a wheel with no force feedback, ridiculously horrible. You'd have absolutely no precision, can't catch spins, oversteer etc. In fact, I would prefer a controller over a zero force feedback wheel.

With force feedback however, it's a whole different game and WAY better than anything else. Especially if you tweak the settings to get just the right feel.

Zico
18th November 2010, 08:45
That looks interesting, and I'm intrigued to find out how it would work in a game with those analog hand throttle and brake levers. Can you get the same precision as with pedals? Wouldn't your hands be too busy steering, changing gears, accelerating and braking all with the wheel?

I found it made it far easier, became 2nd nature. I suppose it depends on how much steering lock you like to use, I didn't use a lot so it worked great for me. I have size 11's and had a pedal box that kept shifting but even if it was fixed I think I'd easily have the same if not more precision with the hand levers... but again that will depend on your steering lock preference, I usually used perhaps about 100-110 deg total lock. Index fingers did the paddleshift gears and my remaining fingers throttle and brakes.

If you choose not to use them as throttle/brake they can be configured for analogue 'look' sideview which would probably be better than a IR head tracker.

Zico
18th November 2010, 08:58
Oh, it's absolutely a whole world of difference with force feedback. I tried Richard Burns Rally with a wheel with no force feedback, ridiculously horrible. You'd have absolutely no precision, can't catch spins, oversteer etc. In fact, I would prefer a controller over a zero force feedback wheel.

With force feedback however, it's a whole different game and WAY better than anything else. Especially if you tweak the settings to get just the right feel.

I'll second that, FFB completely changes RBR from a good game to an excellent one.

Does FFB work well on F1 2010?

CaptainRaiden
18th November 2010, 09:16
I'll second that, FFB completely changes RBR from a good game to an excellent one.

Does FFB work well on F1 2010?

FFB is awesome on F1 2010, especially on the kerbs I find it better than rFactor. Although after the patch, it's got this weird twitch every time I'm on the straights, which is weird. Other than that, the FFB is awesome in the game. It's annoying when you're in an online race with rammers, and you feel every idiotic bump and crash on the wheel. :p

Brown, Jon Brow
28th March 2011, 13:26
I got down to the mid 1:23s at Albert Park (still with a controller).

What is the best wheel for Xbox? I heard that the Logitech wheel on Xbox doesn't have FFB for licence reasons.

Kevincal
29th March 2011, 06:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5O--WXU_AM

CaptainRaiden
29th March 2011, 08:39
I was able to do a 1:22.3 at Albert Park with all assists off, but that was a month ago. Haven't had the chance to play it again since. If I get some free time, I'll run it again and record a video and post it here.

I managed to do a 1m23.249 with the controller the other day and that was with automatic gears. I'd love a steering wheel so I could try it with paddle shift but I'd have to fill out an application form to the wife. :(

I think you can get a Logitech Momo for like 80 pounds or something, and in my experience it has been as good as any of the top tier wheels. ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
29th March 2011, 17:50
I'm down to a 1:22.8. (still with controller and automatic, no assists)

I was on a Custom GP yesterday at Albert Park with tyre/fuel sim and a 1:26 was only good enough for 9th on the grid out of 10. Pole position was a 1:23 :eek:

Xbox Live Gamertag - JmatthewB