PDA

View Full Version : apple/itunes announcement

jonny hurlock
15th November 2010, 20:14
http://www.apple.com/?ref=apple.com/startpage/&sr=st_page

my guess is either the beetles or ac-dc selling there albums on itunes, any guesses?

Jag_Warrior
15th November 2010, 20:19
Something related to "the cloud" or maybe a paid subscription service is my guess, but I'm not sure.

Apple has built/is building a HUGE data center near Charlotte. At some point, they're going to be putting that monster to work.

jonny hurlock
16th November 2010, 16:30

my guess is either the beetles or ac-dc selling there albums on itunes, any guesses?

what a guess, the beatles

Dave B
16th November 2010, 16:54
T'was pretty obvious from the clocks parodying the cover of "Help" :p

Wooooo, albums that are owned by almost everybody are now available somewhere else. Most of the singles are 20 or 30p more expensive than Amazon. I can barely contain my excitement.

Dave B
16th November 2010, 17:10
Fox News Fail, as per:

What's up Apple's sleeve? Apparently, Manchester's favorite mopheads.

:rolleyes:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/15/apple-itunes-gets-rights-beatles/#content

MrJan
16th November 2010, 17:12
I look forward to hearing what Daniel has to say about this, I bet he's outraged :D :p :

Dave B
16th November 2010, 17:23
If nothing else it's proof that Apple's marketing people are genuises: once again being late to the party, charging more than the competition, yet having the media fawn all over them.

Jag_Warrior
16th November 2010, 20:17
I have to say, I'm underwhelmed. I give this announcement a big "so what?"! :rolleyes:

But I agree with Dave; at this point Apple could announce that Steve Jobs was buying a new car and 50 reporters would show up to see what kind it was. Poor old Ballmer could announce that Microsoft had found a cure for cancer and he'd have to pay people to show up for the press conference (or give away some Zunes :D ) .

race aficionado
16th November 2010, 20:48
Bottom line . . . it's good busine$$.

I was also underwhelmed even though I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

Good news to me is that my son inherited all my complete Beatles CD collection so there is nothing that he "has' to buy in this case.
We have all the Beatles collection in out iTunes library already.
:s mokin:

jonny hurlock
16th November 2010, 20:53
all we need is now ac-dc on itunes

Daniel
16th November 2010, 21:19
I look forward to hearing what Daniel has to say about this, I bet he's outraged :D :p :

What's wrong with being annoyed at morons propping up Steve and his increasingly restrictive company?

Daniel
16th November 2010, 21:27
I have to say, I'm underwhelmed. I give this announcement a big "so what?"! :rolleyes:

But I agree with Dave; at this point Apple could announce that Steve Jobs was buying a new car and 50 reporters would show up to see what kind it was. Poor old Ballmer could announce that Microsoft had found a cure for cancer and he'd have to pay people to show up for the press conference (or give away some Zunes :D ) .

So true :) Tbh I'm happy to go with the products from the company that's less of a shouty b1tch when it comes to product launches. I know my WinPho7 isn't quite as mature a product as an iPhone but it should end up having a lot more features in the future.

Daniel
16th November 2010, 21:28
all we need is now ac-dc on itunes

Aint gonna happen

Roamy
17th November 2010, 06:26
Something related to "the cloud" or maybe a paid subscription service is my guess, but I'm not sure.

Apple has built/is building a HUGE data center near Charlotte. At some point, they're going to be putting that monster to work.

I suspect with everything moving to VOIP, Apple may be thinking about their own phone company. Anyway they now have a hedge with the mega center.

I also think cloud computing will not do as well as most thing as I don't see how they will ever protect the info floating out there.

Rollo
18th November 2010, 22:56

That's what I would have guessed.

If Apple was going to go down the cloud storage route for music, then in theory you could have your iCloud pod machine with only a minimal flash drive in it, and then run a micro-payments system at say 0.5 of a cent per song; the iCloud would send off some sort of request into the cloud play the song, and then delete the song from the flash drive.

I imagine that it would be a similar business model to XM Satellite Radio mashed with pay-per-view which would be essentially a pay-for-service affair rather like cable TV.

Actually on that last note, does anyone know what happened/is happening with Apple TV? Is that what the iPad was ultimately built for?

Daniel
18th November 2010, 22:57
That's what I would have guessed.

If Apple was going to go down the cloud storage route for music, then in theory you could have your iCloud pod machine with only a minimal flash drive in it, and then run a micro-payments system at say 0.5 of a cent per song; the iCloud would send off some sort of request into the cloud play the song, and then delete the song from the flash drive.

I imagine that it would be a similar business model to XM Satellite Radio mashed with pay-per-view which would be essentially a pay-for-service affair rather like cable TV.

Actually on that last note, does anyone know what happened/is happening with Apple TV? Is that what the iPad was ultimately built for?
It should be pointed out that Microsoft already does this with the Zune subscription.....

Rollo
18th November 2010, 23:43
Is that also what Spotify is/does?

Ghostwalker
19th November 2010, 10:26
Is that also what Spotify is/does?

pretty much yeah,

http://www.spotify.com/se/about/features/

also from what i've heard apple tries to force US authorities and record companies to boycott spotify
since Apple/itunes wants the market for themselves