PDA

View Full Version : Petrov says he was right to defend his position

CNR
15th November 2010, 10:47
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/34438.html

Vitaly Petrov (http://www.motorsportforums.com/f1/motorsport/driver/7745.html) said he had absolutely no choice as a racing driver but defend his position from Fernando Alonso even though the Ferrari driver was fighting tooth and nail for his third world title.
Alonso gesticulated angrily at Petrov on the slowing down lap for holding him up but Petrov defended his actions because he was in a race for valuable team points as well.

Dave B
15th November 2010, 10:59
http://www.unlap.co.uk/160-petrov-is-my-hero-icons-t-shirt.html?ref=nf

:D

Anyway, damn right. He had his own race to worry about, and potentially a career on the line. He was racing for position, end of story. One could argue that it was worse for Hamilton being stuck behind Kubica, knowing that he wasn't really racing the Pole as he had yet to stop, but bottom line is it's up to the guy behind to get past. Alonso had a few half-hearted lunges, most of which saw him go off track, but despite the team suggesting he "use his talent" he couldn't get past Vitali for toffee.

wattoroos
15th November 2010, 11:00
probaly petrovs best display all year and proved how boring the abu dhabi track is. there was more overtaking in singapore

Valve Bounce
15th November 2010, 11:05
Maybe Alonso thought Petrov should have followed Massa's example. :p :

wattoroos
15th November 2010, 11:49
:D :D :D , he did get very ****ty but petrov says all is good, maybe he gave him plenty of vodka

Big Ben
15th November 2010, 12:14

hilarious... and so so witty... I hope you didn't get a headache

RJL25
15th November 2010, 12:18
hilarious... and so so witty... I hope you didn't get a headache

oops, the bottom lips gone, the eyes are welling up... do you need a tissue champ?

Big Ben
15th November 2010, 12:22
oops, the bottom lips gone, the eyes are welling up... do you need a tissue champ?

You are a few minutes late with your tissue. I had something to wipe but now I'm good. I'll keep you in mind next time.

RJL25
15th November 2010, 12:28
:)

Big Ben
15th November 2010, 12:35
Of course he was right. Deep down even FA knows petrov was right. Deep down even JA knows Petrov was right and he should have tried to do the same.

I'm pretty sure most of you could understand FA's frustration if you wanted to. This is modern f1, and you lose the championship because the car is not 2 seconds faster than the one in front of you.

BDunnell
15th November 2010, 12:44
Alonso's frustration is entirely understandable, but so is the way Petrov drove his (excellent) race. Alonso couldn't get past him on pace. End of story, as far as I'm concerned.

markabilly
15th November 2010, 12:53
I would think that it was even more satisfying to petrov that Fred threw a fist at him....If I were him, instead of responding back with anger, I would have been smiling my face off...as having confirmed by Fred that I had done my job.

schmenke
15th November 2010, 13:53
probaly petrovs best display all year and proved how boring the abu dhabi track is. ...

I agree. When Alonso tucked behind Petrov I thought "Ooh, this is going to be a good pass!" 30 laps later I was still waiting :dozey:

steveaki13
15th November 2010, 18:19
While it may not have been enough to keep his drive next year in the eyes of Renault, at least he finally showed not only speed which we have seen a few times, but also temprement, pressure on him through a large portion of the race and he didn't crack and wasn't timid in telling Alonso where to get off.

Good for him. I hope he finds a drive somewhere next year

truefan72
15th November 2010, 18:25
While it may not have been enough to keep his drive next year in the eyes of Renault, at least he finally showed not only speed which we have seen a few times, but also temprement, pressure on him through a large portion of the race and he didn't crack and wasn't timid in telling Alonso where to get off.

yep

ryan92
15th November 2010, 18:53

Yeah, I also hope he finds a drive for next season

pallone col bracciale
15th November 2010, 20:28
But where for art thou, Mr Dennis & Mr Stewart with their criticism of Petrov a la Bernoldi?

Ah, mio capito....a different tune for Ferrari!

Petrov was right to race, and also Buemi with Webber.

As for the stupido remarks about the 'talent' comment, what was the race engineer supposed to say? "You are 5mph slower on the straight, so give up"?

pallone col bracciale
15th November 2010, 20:33
Alonso's frustration is entirely understandable.

Grazie, the first insight which is intelligent.

A passionate man cannot hide emotion. It was nothing more than that.

Jag_Warrior
15th November 2010, 20:38
Based on the old sound clip that Speed played, when Alonso was trying to pass Fisichella several years back, I imagined him whining to his team over the radio, "what more I have to do?! what more I have to do???!!!"

It is the job (and obligation) of racers to race. While it is understandable that Alonso would have been frustrated, while being stuck behind Petrov, unless Petrov had been a lap down, he was obliged to do his best to finish ahead of Alonso and everyone else behind him.

What more I have to doooooo???!!! ;(

I guess you needed to pass him, Fernando. Not sure what else to tell ya, buddy. :dozey:

pallone col bracciale
15th November 2010, 20:44
I guess you needed to pass him, Fernando. Not sure what else to tell ya, buddy. :dozey:

And, per favore, how is he supposed to do this on a track with no overtaking places except the straights...where he was 5kph slower?

Do you understand basic physics?

Petrov drove well, no mistakes, but he had an advantage that no opponent could have realistically beaten.

pallone col bracciale
15th November 2010, 20:50
Would it even be their business, or in their interests to comment? Seems a strange comparison if you don't mind me saying.

No, I do not mind you saying.

But both are on record as stating that Bernoldi should not have raced coulthard at Monaco in 2001 because Enrique was not fighting for the championship.

This abhorrent and stupid idea recieved very little criticism at the time, despite being entirely contrary to the professed "we are racers" claim of the two people voicing this idea.

Yet when Fernando shows understandable frustration he recieves the bile and hatred of the very people I suspect hold both Mr Dennis and Mr Stewart in high regard.

A little strange, I think.

Sleeper
15th November 2010, 21:22
Petrov had every right to fight for his position and he drove very well, but lets be honest, he didnt really need to do much to avoid being overtaken other than not make a mistake, Hulkenberg the week before gave a much better display of actual defensive driving.

Jag_Warrior
16th November 2010, 11:44
And, per favore, how is he supposed to do this on a track with no overtaking places except the straights...where he was 5kph slower?

Do you understand basic physics?

Petrov drove well, no mistakes, but he had an advantage that no opponent could have realistically beaten.

How Alonso could have executed a pass on Petrov isn't my problem, nor was it Petrov's. What I am saying is, either Petrov could have yielded and let him pass (what some seem to be saying he should have done)... or Alonso somehow, someway, needed to pass him on his own (what I am saying). And because that did not happen, we have the result that we have. Pretty simple really.

We've seen certain drivers in the past sometimes scare the wits out of a driver by their very presence behind him... Senna and Schumacher come to mind. But Alonso didn't/couldn't cause Petrov to lose his nerve, and as you yourself said, he made no mistakes. So... :dozey:

I admit that I enjoyed Petrov's performance even more because I strongly dislike Alonso. But no matter who it was, I don't think a driver (ANY driver) on the lead lap should be expected to yield his position just because the person following him needs points for the WDC - quasi team orders aside.

Dave B
16th November 2010, 13:00
I admit that I enjoyed Petrov's performance even more because I strongly dislike Alonso. But no matter who it was, I don't think a driver (ANY driver) on the lead lap should be expected to yield his position just because the person following him needs points for the WDC - quasi team orders aside.
Same here :D

And even though I really wanted Hamilton to win the race - and therefore have the ghost of a chance at the title - I couldn't help but be impressed with Kubica for making it impossible to pass, even though Lewis had a few tries and Robert was on decaying rubber.

fandango
16th November 2010, 13:27
I agree with Henners that it wasn't Alonso's finest moment, but as I've said elsewhere I think it equates with Hamilton's claim that Massa had tried to drive him off the track when it was clear that that was not the case. I'm not trying to excuse anyone by saying that, just to contrast the reaction.

Another thing I think those two incidents have in common is that while both Alonso and Hamilton might recognise the other driver did nothing wrong (well, Alonso did anyway), they would probably both still claim that the force used was excessive. Whether you agree with that or not, I don't think The Spanish Inquisition is necessary here.

markabilly
16th November 2010, 14:09
How Alonso could have executed a pass on Petrov isn't my problem, nor was it Petrov's. What I am saying is, either Petrov could have yielded and let him pass (what some seem to be saying he should have done)... or Alonso somehow, someway, needed to pass him on his own (what I am saying). And because that did not happen, we have the result that we have. Pretty simple really.

We've seen certain drivers in the past sometimes scare the wits out of a driver by their very presence behind him... Senna and Schumacher come to mind. But Alonso didn't/couldn't cause Petrov to lose his nerve, and as you yourself said, he made no mistakes. So... :dozey:

Bottom line: I think Petrov BLUFFED alonso. :eek:

If alonso had really gone for it, Petrov would have let him pass.
I thought so during the race, and then later petrov pretty much said so, that he would not have permitted contact.

after all, remember what happenned the last time someone had contact with another contender for the WDC in the last race of the season???? JV/MS???
what was the punishment??
:bigcry:

Alonso may have his 6/10th, but the gonads??????..not even on the last couple of laps did he even try a shot......hummm

N. Jones
16th November 2010, 14:19
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/34438.html

Of course he was! I don't see any controversy whatsoever.

Nonstory.

Retro Formula 1
16th November 2010, 15:34
I agree with Henners that it wasn't Alonso's finest moment, but as I've said elsewhere I think it equates with Hamilton's claim that Massa had tried to drive him off the track when it was clear that that was not the case. I'm not trying to excuse anyone by saying that, just to contrast the reaction.

I'm trying to see the comparisson and failing Fandango.

In Qualifying, Lewis was off the racing line but approaching a corner. Massa came on the outside on the racing line and just ignored Lewis who had to avoid the Ferrari by going off track and crash into a bollard.

If Massa wanted to overtake to get track position for his flying lap, he could have had the manners to just overtake Lewis and not make him drive off track. Bit rude wasn't it?

Where that compares to two drivers in a race for position is beyond me. Petrov and Alonso were racing and neiter Petrov made a mistake or Alonso hadn't the talent to swap the positions.

What point are you tring to make? Alonso should have deliberatly punted Petrov off the track or Massa should have driven around Hamilton?