PDA

View Full Version : Hulkenberg loses Williams seat

CNR
15th November 2010, 10:40
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/34440.html

Nico Hulkenberg has confirmed he will not be driving for Williams next season but is confident he will land a race seat somewhere else.

RJL25
15th November 2010, 10:44
This is stupid by Williams, ok so they need money from a pay driver next year, thats fine, but they kep Ruebens in the other seat?

Now Ruebens is a great driver, but surely he is at the end of his career? With Nico you have a big future, with Ruebens what do you have? Really?

Sonic
15th November 2010, 10:52
Bad move :(

You'll never get back to front with pay drivers.

wattoroos
15th November 2010, 10:57
a pole with a middle order car is ot good enough for them which is bs cause hulk was a good driver in the making. teams should have learned from renaults mistake that pay drivers can be costly towards wcc money and sponsors that put their names on winning cars

Valve Bounce
15th November 2010, 11:00
Didn't someone identify Hulkenberg as a future WDC, and that was only last week? :eek:

ArrowsFA1
15th November 2010, 11:08
Very disappointing :down:

I don't hold out much hope for Pastor Maldonado being particularly impressive and, assuming Rubens will stay, Williams appear to have taken a backward step when it comes to driver choices :(

Dave B
15th November 2010, 11:10
More here:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88301

Williams just don't "do" stability, do they? :\

CNR
15th November 2010, 11:16
http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26310:f1--williams-formula-1-team-confirm-barrichello-in-and-hulkenberg-out-in-2011&catid=1:f1&Itemid=157

Frank Williams, Team Principal of the AT&T Williams team:
“First, I would like to thank Nico for his hard work this year, and before that in preparing himself for Formula One. We are very proud to have supported him as he secured the Formula 3 and GP2 titles and during his debut in Formula One. At Williams we have for many years tried to bring new talent into the sport, and we are convinced that Nico will go on to great things. We wish him well and hope that our paths will cross again in the future.”

“We recruited Rubens to Williams knowing that he would bring technical expertise, experience and passion. He has delivered everything we could have hoped for this season and we are delighted to confirm that he will drive for us again in 2011.”

Robinho
15th November 2010, 11:22
i think it shows how dire the money situation is at Williams, they are losing their main 3 (?) sponsors and can't afford to keep the promising Hulkenburg. They are selling transmissions to HRT and KERS to Porsche in sportscars, they had to take the Cosworth deal cos they couldn't afford a proper engine (although that worked out quite well for them with the development that has been allowed to make the Cossie competitive) and i fully expect them to take a backward step next year as they clearly can't afford to run at the level they want to. sad times for Williams

Robinho
15th November 2010, 11:26
and according to Autosport, Williams wanted to sign him on a multi year deal that included selling him to HRT for next year. They just have not got the money have they?

jens
15th November 2010, 11:42
A pity, but perhaps not the end of his F1 career. I would consider his situation more hopeful than what Grosjean had to face. I'm thinking that maybe becoming Mercedes' reserve driver wouldn't be a bad choice. After that he would just have to wait for Schumacher's inevitable retirement.

ArrowsFA1
15th November 2010, 11:45
and according to Autosport, Williams wanted to sign him on a multi year deal that included selling him to HRT for next year. They just have not got the money have they?
I don't think they were accused of not having the money when they did a similar 'loan' deal in 2000 which meant Button raced and Montoya went Indycar racing with Ganassi.

Had Nico accepted the HRT deal then Williams would have been able to evaluate Hulkenberg and Maldonado without losing the former to another team. You can understand Nico not going for the deal, but from the Williams point of view it made sense.

pino
15th November 2010, 11:50
A very sad news :down: especially after Frank almost confirmed him on Ital Tv yesterday.

RJL25
15th November 2010, 12:17
maybe that would have been a good deal for Williams, but if your Nico Hulkenberg, would YOU be excited by the prospect of driving for HRT next year? Screw that!

Dr. Krogshöj
15th November 2010, 12:27
It's easy to criticize if it isn't you who has to pay the bills.

RJL25
15th November 2010, 12:30
my problem isnt that they are using a pay driver, thats life sometimes in F1, my criticism is their choice of retaining Ruebens over Nico. Ruebens has had his career, he has driven the best cars on the grid and has frankly done very little in his career other then hanging around for a really long time, so why give this guy another chance instead of a young bloke who is just starting out and clearly has the potential in him to actually acheive something in his career?

Also Ruebens is on about twice the money Nico was on, so it would have been cheaper to keep Nico, makes the decision seem all the more stupid.

markabilly
15th November 2010, 13:00
there must be a virus going around causing stupid decisions by team managers lately

Add Williams to the list.

fandango
15th November 2010, 13:08
Bad move :(

You'll never get back to front with pay drivers.

Well, I'd say Ross Brawn was thinking the same, only to find sometimes even a paid driver gets back to front :)

It's a sad reflection of how things are with Williams, and says more about them than Hulkenberg.

As for Hulkenberg, he's demonstrated he's got the talent to be at the front, so I'm sure his story is not over. If I was Massa I'd be nervous, the Hulk is just the type of talented, young, eager and cheap number 2 that Ferrari like to partner their star drivers with. Okay, Barrichello wasn't that young, but Massa himself and Irvine were given serious promotion by getting their Ferrari drive when they did.

Sonic
15th November 2010, 13:08
my problem isnt that they are using a pay driver, thats life sometimes in F1, my criticism is their choice of retaining Ruebens over Nico. Ruebens has had his career, he has driven the best cars on the grid and has frankly done very little in his career other then hanging around for a really long time, so why give this guy another chance instead of a young bloke who is just starting out and clearly has the potential in him to actually acheive something in his career?

Also Ruebens is on about twice the money Nico was on, so it would have been cheaper to keep Nico, makes the decision seem all the more stupid.

I agree with you that Rubens is not the best long term choice but the facts are that without Rubens vast experience that car would have gone nowhere last season, and lets not forget that without Ruben's call, Nico would never have risked slicks at Brazil.

It really was a good mixture of youth and experience and I hoped they would retain both - Rubens for perhaps his last season, and Nico to continue his learning curve - but it wasn't to be.

veeten
15th November 2010, 13:52
Here's something to think about...

Wouldn't be too suprised if he appears on the Mercedes team as the new #2 driver, and Rosberg is released by them.

Remember, he is managed by Willi Webber. What other driver is also managed by Herr Webber? ;)

ratonmacias
15th November 2010, 13:53
remember Williams has always been about getting the best car they can they ditched Mansell and Hill after WDC years. so if you think a lucky pole was going to save Nico you were too hopeful. Rubens brings a lot of feedback and expertise to the package. and while nico might be a faster driver with a sorted car Rubens can actually make the williams faster. not just drive it faster.

wedge
15th November 2010, 14:56
This is stupid by Williams, ok so they need money from a pay driver next year, thats fine, but they kep Ruebens in the other seat?

Now Ruebens is a great driver, but surely he is at the end of his career? With Nico you have a big future, with Ruebens what do you have? Really?

Testing ban and Rubens has the experience of developing a car. This means there is far greater onus on driver feedback now that Fridays are effectively test days.

Mia 01
15th November 2010, 16:10
I´m sad for Nico but glad that they didn´t fired Rubens also.

Sometimes you can wonder what they are up to, winning?

N. Jones
15th November 2010, 16:59

Joe Saward's blog said something to this affect to - move Hulkenberg to HRT. I guess he would stay there until Rubens retires.

Sadly these moves are for money reasons but what else can they do?

Stuartf12007
15th November 2010, 17:13
Rubens should have retired, he has had long enough in F1 its time for new blood to have ago.

Robens will never win, why keep him.

Hulkenberg deserves better.

christophulus
15th November 2010, 17:30
Can't see where Hulkenberg is going to go, his options are fairly limited. Strange decision not to keep him, especially as Williams are apparently turning a profit (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/11/15/hulkenberg-confirms-williams-exit/) every year.

Cooper_S
15th November 2010, 17:37
Rubens should have retired, he has had long enough in F1 its time for new blood to have ago.

I dislike Rubens and would have been happy had he been shown the door when Honda went, however that is just me being petty, based on his performance in the last two years even I accept he is earning his keep.

Mark
15th November 2010, 17:59
Rubens could have easily been World Champ in 2009 so he's not done yet!

truefan72
15th November 2010, 18:01

If bills are the problem then cut Rubens

Well, I'd say Ross Brawn was thinking the same, only to find sometimes even a paid driver gets back to front :)

It's a sad reflection of how things are with Williams, and says more about them than Hulkenberg.

As for Hulkenberg, he's demonstrated he's got the talent to be at the front, so I'm sure his story is not over. If I was Massa I'd be nervous, the Hulk is just the type of talented, young, eager and cheap number 2 that Ferrari like to partner their star drivers with. Okay, Barrichello wasn't that young, but Massa himself and Irvine were given serious promotion by getting their Ferrari drive when they did.

excellent post. My thoughts exactly.
Hulkenberg would be welcomed by Ferrari. The only drawback would be Alonso who would go nuts with a young very fast GP2 winning teammate

Can't see where Hulkenberg is going to go, his options are fairly limited. Strange decision not to keep him, especially as Williams are apparently turning a profit (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/11/15/hulkenberg-confirms-williams-exit/) every year.

Ferrari - massa could be given a golden parachute and Hulkenberg Welcomed
Massa would then sign for Virgin or maybe even lotus

Lotus - if they were smart, they would sign him and bid Trulli adieu
Mercedes 3rd Driver, I year of tutorship under Michael and then ready to go in 2012. To me this is the most likely scenario

Renault - a tough call, since I like petrov and he is also bringing in cash. But If circumstances fall the right way we could actually see petrov to ferrari and Hulk at Renault

RBR - a canny move my RBR would be to sign this guy and move Webber or have him as a 3rd driver and in 2012 get webber's seat.

truefan72
15th November 2010, 18:07
Rubens could have easily been World Champ in 2009 so he's not done yet!

sure could have. and perhpas that was his swan song.

The only reason I see them keeping rubens for is if he has some iron clad contract that guarantees him his 6.9 million even if he gets fired. It is odd that RBR pay their drivers half of what they pay Rubens and I doubt those two are more critical to the development of that RBER car. If you do your job right then the engineers will build a good car and the drivers will provide some feedback but not be so critical to the development that you would pay them 6.9million and get rid of a future great driver. Williams will regret this day for years to come. Who knows. This team might even get sold in the near future based on their desperate moves.

Jag_Warrior
15th November 2010, 18:37
Strange decision not to keep him, especially as Williams are apparently turning a profit (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/11/15/hulkenberg-confirms-williams-exit/) every year.

Yes, it is. Also, I'm sure that I recall a press piece earlier this year where Williams spoke of having the 2011 budget ALREADY in place!

I've never been a huge Williams fan anyway, though I would hate to see the team fall completely off the map. But depending on which ride-buyer they choose, this could be a big step toward the back of the grid (in the Constructors' championship).

truefan72
15th November 2010, 19:57
Yes, it is. Also, I'm sure that I recall a press piece earlier this year where Williams spoke of having the 2011 budget ALREADY in place!

I've never been a huge Williams fan anyway, though I would hate to see the team fall completely off the map. But depending on which ride-buyer they choose, this could be a big step toward the back of the grid (in the Constructors' championship).

exactly.

Williams have shown to me a pretty stingy and low class organization despite their great achievements. It make sit hard to cheer them on, as you know that sooner rather than later they would make another bonehead move that will not endear them to the public and fans.

I would say that Hulkneberg's pole in Brazil did more for the financial opportunities for williams, let alone priceless PR, value to the advertisers and an increase in the value of their commodity. A good, fast driver is the key ingredient to raising any kind of capital. Nobody invests in backmarkers. I'm afraid, that's where Williams is heading

DexDexter
15th November 2010, 20:31
Sad news but I guess Williams had to make the decision. I understand why they chose to keep Barrichello since he has done a better job than Hulkenberg this year and has so much experience that is going to help them in the future. Two rookies (almost) would have been too much. I'm sure Hulkenberg will find a drive, let's hope so.

Garry Walker
15th November 2010, 21:16
sure could have. and perhpas that was his swan song.

The only reason I see them keeping rubens for is if he has some iron clad contract that guarantees him his 6.9 million even if he gets fired.
Williams are keeping Rubens because he was faster and better than nico this year. So before you go on shouting how nico deserves a seat at Ferrari and so on, maybe he should first prove himself against rubens and tend we can talk about him being worthy of a top car.

Garry Walker
15th November 2010, 21:18

Rubens clearly beat Nico this year, so if you want him to move over for younger drivers, maybe those drivers should first beat him. Nico was nowhere as good as Rubens this year, FACT.
13-6 in qualy for Rubens, in points Rubens won 47-22. Yeah, sure, Rubens is the guy who should have been fired.

Here's something to think about...

Wouldn't be too suprised if he appears on the Mercedes team as the new #2 driver, and Rosberg is released by them.

Remember, he is managed by Willi Webber. What other driver is also managed by Herr Webber? ;)

Too much vodka for you.

N4D13
15th November 2010, 22:01
Williams are keeping Rubens because he was faster and better than nico this year. So before you go on shouting how nico deserves a seat at Ferrari and so on, maybe he should first prove himself against rubens and tend we can talk about him being worthy of a top car.
This. ;)

Apart from the Interlagos pole, which no one has found an explanation for as of yet, what has he done to be considered a top class driver? He hasn't done a better job than others like Sutil or Alguersuari, to name a few.

truefan72
15th November 2010, 23:38

Garry I'll bet you that Nico Hulkenberg will end up with a better career than Rubens and probably a WDC.
The guy is that good. The 2010 williams was not a great car and was probably suited Rubens better than Nico. We all nkow what this guy can do with decent machinery vs his competition so I guarantee you that if he was in an RBR or Ferrari, we would be already talking about Nico the multiple race winner.

And another thing. This was his rookie year.

Ranger
15th November 2010, 23:49

My thoughts exactly.

Notwithstanding his Brazil pole and beating Rubens on a few occasions towards the end of season, he hasn't been mighty impressive.

Maybe he is like Frentzen in a Williams. Was pretty crap there yet when in a different environment, was standout of the year. Yet to be seen.

N. Jones
16th November 2010, 01:31
This is an interesting read about WilliamsF1: http://www.formula1blog.com/2010/11/15/op-ed-a-change-in-the-wind-or-history-repeating-either-way-its-got-this-fan-worried/

The book he mentions I must read, but from the history of Williams given in the link it seems that they have always looked for pay drivers because they believe any driver can win in a good car.

Maybe this is the reason they dumped Nico for Pastor - it's their F1 philosophy.

Anubis
16th November 2010, 01:52

Nobody is going to win in a Williams for the foreseeable future, so not sure that's a valid argument. Rubens seems to have been revived in the last few years, and if Williams can afford him, I'd wager he's a valuable and known quantity to have about the place, not to mention having a fair degree of appeal for sponsors. Shame to see Hulkenberg lose his seat, but he was outperformed by Rubens this year, and by quite some margin. I'm sure he'll get his day.

Hondo
16th November 2010, 03:42
While I agree that money has a lot to do with the situation, there may also be a long shot gamble aspect to the decision. We all know what the Rubens-Trulli-Heidfeld-Massa-Webber type group can deliver, or more importantly, what they can't deliver. On the other hand, we have also seen a few exceptional rookies that seem to "get it" from the start like Hamilton, Kubica, and Vettel. I think Williams may have their fingers crossed for an exceptional rookie.

Hawkmoon
16th November 2010, 04:00
Barrichello clearly out-performed Hulkenberg this so any decision on which driver to keep was probably pretty easy. The real question is how much money is Maldonado bringing to make dumping Hulkenberg palatable? Hulkenberg had a good, though not great, rookie season and did much better than Petrov in an inferior car so I think he earn't another season. Looks like Williams are being run by the bean counters these days.

I've been predicting the demise of Williams for a few years now, likening their declining trajectory with that of Tyrrell and Brabham. I thought I may have been wrong with the strong year they had in 2010 but a decision like this makes we wonder if my earlier prediction was right.

555-04Q2
16th November 2010, 04:54

:up: 100% :up:

jens
16th November 2010, 16:42
The Barrichello v Hülkenberg debate is certainly interesting and despite RB having carried on longer than anyone would have expected, he is still bound to retire in not too faraway future. What would Williams do if Rubens retires after 2011? Trying to get Hülkenberg back? Try to hire another experienced driver (like Heidfeld) to replace him?

But despite the age-factor I find it kinda logical that Rubens is kept for 2011. A pairing of Hülkenberg-Maldonado would be a huge gamble with two relatively unproven drivers, not to mention inexperienced. If at least the test driver was experienced, but they don't have even that. Sauber goes into 2011 with a massively inexperienced line-up (Kobayashi-Pérez-Gutiérrez) and it might cause them some setbacks at least initially. With Rubens Williams has at least one safe bet to collect the points even if the other driver is struggling. Perhaps if Hulk had beaten Rubens properly in his debut season, the youth-gamble would have made more sense for next year, but Hulk hasn't proven he is a finished article yet either.

In terms of race seats it looks like Hulk hasn't got the money to outbid Petrov for Renault's seat and neither will he likely turn into a paydriver to race for Virgin/HRT. Maybe he could start negotiating with Lotus, but I'm not sure, how interested are they in him. And in Force India's case I'm doubtful they would let di Resta go by preferring Hulk as they have been grooming the Scotsman for a whole year already for the race seat.

CNR
16th November 2010, 21:25
would Renault replace Petrov with Hülkenberg when Petrov outscored him ?

http://www.girlracer.co.uk/motorsport/f1-news/7743-stoneman-ends-f1-test-fifth-fastest-for-williams.html
Stoneman ends F1 test fifth fastest for Williams (http://www.motorsportforums.com/motorsport/f1-news/7743-stoneman-ends-f1-test-fifth-fastest-for-williams.html)

The young Briton recorded a competitive 1:41.522s in the closing stages of the day to move into fifth overall, fractions behind Esteban Gutierrez, who was recently confirmed as Sauber's official test driver for 2011.
Impressively, his benchmark time eclipsed the best practice efforts of both Rubens Barrichello and Nico Hülkenberg when they competed in F1's season finale at the Yas Marina track two days ago - Barrichello recording a 1:42.316s and Hülkenberg a 1:41.934s

UltimateDanGTR
16th November 2010, 21:31
this is a real surprise to me after the words that were said by williams in Brazil.

but as much as I find this decision bewildering, there must be a valid reason. I just hope for the sake of F1 williams are stable financially.......

and if it is Pastor Maldanado in the second seat next year, we can say this; there are many many pay drivers (If you want to call him that) that are alot worse. (Yammamoto, for example) and we'd probably see the most talented pay driver ever in PM. not brilliant, but you cant be too shabby being a GP2 champion (even after 4 years of trying)

CNR
17th November 2010, 06:21
with all the talk of pay drivers do not forget that one of the greats was a pay driver

http://www.f1wolf.com/2008/05/demise-of-pay-drivers-in-formula-1-is-it-a-good-thing.html

Michael Schumacher – Jordan
Fernando Alonso – Minardi
Mark Webber – Minardi

Roamy
17th November 2010, 07:05
Who cares if he loses the seat. The car can't win anyway. He will get a drive somewhere and then just beat your team mate by 5 tenths every outing

ZEROX
17th November 2010, 13:40
Who cares if he loses the seat. The car can't win anyway. He will get a drive somewhere and then just beat your team mate by 5 tenths every outing

Yeah, he's gone for good. If he still staying with that Willi team. He will go no where.
I just hope that he could get a seat on champion team like Mclaren, Ferrari or Renault.
Red Bull are certainly no. The driver from Torro Rosso will get the seat to Red Bull.

Garry Walker
24th November 2010, 12:10
Yeah, he's gone for good. If he still staying with that Willi team. He will go no where.
I just hope that he could get a seat on champion team like Mclaren, Ferrari or Renault.

Why? He has done nothing to show he deserves that seat.
Yeah, sure, he had one pole. That is all, where the hell was he in every other session during the year?

People really need to stop masturbating over Hulkenberg, he is a nobody at this stage.

I am evil Homer
24th November 2010, 12:37
I think it's more who he's being replaced with rather than losing the seat per se.

ZEROX
24th November 2010, 13:44
Why? He has done nothing to show he deserves that seat.
Yeah, sure, he had one pole. That is all, where the hell was he in every other session during the year?

People really need to stop masturbating over Hulkenberg, he is a nobody at this stage.

Williams FW32 = Sh*tbox

Nico Hulkenberg = One of the top young guns

He can score a pole with a SH*TBOX! :eek:

Garry Walker
24th November 2010, 14:05
Williams FW32 = Sh*tbox

Nico Hulkenberg = One of the top young guns

He can score a pole with a SH*TBOX! :eek:

What about the fact that Rubens was easily beating him in most races, in an equal car?

Robinho
24th November 2010, 14:19
Ruben 200th season vs Nico's 1st?

he did enough this year to prove he is good enough to at least get a crack at it, not just be dumped after 1 year.

Very few drivers come in and beat more experienced teammates in their 1st year but often they improve. he was hardly lagging miles behind Rubens either

Garry Walker
24th November 2010, 14:24
Ruben 200th season vs Nico's 1st?

he did enough this year to prove he is good enough to at least get a crack at it, not just be dumped after 1 year.

Very few drivers come in and beat more experienced teammates in their 1st year but often they improve.
Hamilton.
Schumacher

And those two did it against more impressive teammates. Rubens hadnt beaten a teammate in over 10 years before finally teaming up with nico.

I am not saying hulkenberg is a complete failure, but the reality is that Williams is justified in dumping him and trying another rookie

Retro Formula 1
24th November 2010, 14:43
Hamilton.
Schumacher

And those two did it against more impressive teammates. Rubens hadnt beaten a teammate in over 10 years before finally teaming up with nico.

I am not saying hulkenberg is a complete failure, but the reality is that Williams is justified in dumping him and trying another rookie.

And Alonso don't forget :)

On the other hand, there are many good drivers out there that haven't been as successful in their first year but have gone on to do very well. Perhaps we are setting the Bar rather high?

I'm not as impressed with the Hulk as some others but I think he's done enough to deserve a second year before making up my mind.

I am evil Homer
24th November 2010, 14:54
The only benefit of dumping one rookie for another is money. That's all Frank cares about....Pastor may be talented but a better prospect than The Hulk? I doubt it - seems like swapping like for like

Copse
25th November 2010, 20:58
The only benefit of dumping one rookie for another is money. That's all Frank cares about....Pastor may be talented but a better prospect than The Hulk? I doubt it - seems like swapping like for like

Is the word talent even applicable to a guy who spent 4 years in GP2? In my vocabulary, the word talent implies things like having a gift for something, adapting well and showing promise. What it isn't is taking four years to win a series by slowly, slowly working your way and getting better until you land a ride with a top team in need of money.

DexDexter
26th November 2010, 05:39

Still, a GP2 champion who brings a lot of cash is not a bad choice if you have to take a driver with budget. Williams will still be a respectable team next year.

CNR
26th November 2010, 05:57
go to your boss and demand a pay rise i bet you would get fired to

this is what it came down to
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-pastor-maldonado-linked-to-nico-hulkenbergs-williams-seat/

At the same time, it is rumored that German Hulkenberg's famous manager Willi Weber is asking Sir Frank Williams for a pay-rise for his 23-year-old charge.

ArrowsFA1
26th November 2010, 08:28
I am not saying hulkenberg is a complete failure, but the reality is that Williams is justified in dumping him and trying another rookie
IMHO Nico has shown more than enough to justify his place in F1. Sadly rookies rarely get the time to learn and develop now. Hulkenberg has a proven winning record at every level - karts, Formula BMW, A1GP, F3 and GP2. That kind of success doesn't always translate into a successful F1 career but NH has given every indication that in his case it will.

I hope and suspect that he will end up with Mercedes next year.

As for Maldonado I simply don't see him having the same potential as Hulkenberg. He's had a rather rocky road of a career, particularly in World Series by Renault and when he was Nico's team-mate in GP2 he was overshadowed by the German.

I am evil Homer
26th November 2010, 09:45
Is the word talent even applicable to a guy who spent 4 years in GP2? In my vocabulary, the word talent implies things like having a gift for something, adapting well and showing promise. What it isn't is taking four years to win a series by slowly, slowly working your way and getting better until you land a ride with a top team in need of money.

God foribd a driver takes time for his talent to evolve. People seem to think everyone can be Lewis Hamilton or Vettel - they're an exception to the rule.

Copse
28th November 2010, 10:45
God foribd a driver takes time for his talent to evolve. People seem to think everyone can be Lewis Hamilton or Vettel - they're an exception to the rule.

I think Maldonado now has developed the skill to be good enough for F1, although I expect him to crash himself and others out quite a lot with overtaking manoeuvres that were never on.

My gripe is with him being called a talent. TheFreeDictionary.com: "A marked innate ability" Wiktionary: "A marked natural ability or skill" Dictionary.com "a special natural ability or aptitude". Spending several years in the mid-pack of junior formulae proves that he does not have innate or natural skills. He has had to learn them, and has unfortunately done fairly well, eventually.

(The reason I dislike him has nothing to do with his on-track skill. It is rooted in that he took FRenault to court trying to win the title after the season was over. This dragged on for months, effectively keeping original and eventual winner Alx Danielsson in limbo for so long that he couldn't get a GP2 ride for the following year.)

aryan
28th November 2010, 23:39
Didn't someone identify Hulkenberg as a future WDC, and that was only last week? :eek:

I still firmly believe the Hulk will be WDC one day.

I understand why Williams had to let him go, and also why they retained Rubens. I'm fairly certain I'd have made a similar decision had I been in their position. But, that takes nothing away from Hulk. Yes, it took him half a season to get to grips with F1, but he was mighty impressive in the second half of his rookie season.

I'm sure will see more of Hulk for years to come.

BDunnell
29th November 2010, 00:20

I couldn't agree more.

ShiftingGears
29th November 2010, 00:48
I think Williams' financial situation forced the issue with them picking up Maldonado here.