PDA

View Full Version : MS crash could have been fatal...Will MS now retire?

markabilly
14th November 2010, 19:54
At first, I thought it a bit dumb that MS appeared to try to move the car forward against traffic as though planning to spin around and join the race.

After watching the slow motion several times, I think that if MS had not gone forward, it would have been a direct nose into the side and front of the helmet of MS. How much the side of his car would have protected him and diverted the nose of the car, I can not tell.

But even with this movement, the left front wheel came very close to the head.

Not since Massa's accident, have I seen the same potential for a fatal head or neck injury.

while a rare almost freak accident, yet it was still a potentially very serious crash

wonder if MS will retire now???

markabilly
14th November 2010, 20:09
You tube, better watch before it is gone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPlfWvKLuZ0

if the front wheel had come loose differently or bounced a little differently.....

Cooper_S
14th November 2010, 20:25
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger... he was joking 10mins later... as or retiring (again) sorry lads 2011 beckons...

steveaki13
14th November 2010, 20:27
That could have been a terrible crash had Michael not moved a bit.

I also wondered if that may sway him to call it a day. Is it worth another potentially poor season after what he has already achieved in F1 to risk one final bad accident.

I suppose we won't have to wait long for the answer.

One thing I heard on the BBC Forum was Michael talking about Vettel's title and he said something very close to
" Well its different to win this title at this time as apposed to MY TIME"

I might be reading to much into it but saying My Time gives the impression he may be considering calling an end to "His Time". :(

This time would still be his time if he is around next season.

I may be way off, but it just seemed a strange choice of words.

truefan72
14th November 2010, 21:35
why?

seems to me MSC got better as the year went and with a strong car next year will see him have even better results. Funny how you did not feel the need to issue the same edict on Massa, Webber, Kubica, Glock or Kovy, all of whom have had some serious/horrific accidents of recent :\

Dr. Krogshöj
14th November 2010, 21:58
Similar accidents happened before, see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRXymgWiRcY

Giuseppe F1
15th November 2010, 00:16
http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/7800/7800.jpg

555-04Q2
15th November 2010, 05:24
Racing drivers don't worry about dying or what if I had hit the wall/car that way instead. MS is an out and out racer, I doubt that his little incident will deter him in any way.

His wife on the other hand, may have some choice words for him :p :

Robinho
15th November 2010, 11:03
Racing drivers don't worry about dying or what if I had hit the wall/car that way instead. MS is an out and out racer, I doubt that his little incident will deter him in any way.

His wife on the other hand, may have some choice words for him :p :

young racing drivers may not, but the older wiser ones, who have been there and done it all and only came back cos they were getting bored, may look at things a little differently. That said, i don't think MS will choose that incident as a reason to walk away

Anubis
15th November 2010, 13:50
Not since Massa's accident, have I seen the same potential for a fatal head or neck injury.

Webber in Valencia, surely?

He did appear remarkably calm afterwards, considering how close he came to a scalping, but I guess that's what makes a racing driver a racing driver. Remember Villeneuve joking about his monster off at Eau Rogue? They're not like us! To be honest, I think the thing most likely to trigger his Danny Glover moment is the fact he's making mistakes in the first place, regardless of the outcome. He's been pretty solid in the second half of the season, Singapore excluded, but he didn't come back to be tooling around fighting Saubers and Force Indias, and I kind of wish he'd duck out gracefully and give someone else a shot - DiResta or someone like that.

Garry Walker
15th November 2010, 21:32
he was very lucky there indeed.

truefan72
15th November 2010, 23:40
http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/7800/7800.jpg

that is an amazing picture. wow thankfully both walked away from this

ShiftingGears
16th November 2010, 01:02
Brilliant photo. Glad he's okay, hopefully Merc can manage a win or two next year.

Anubis
16th November 2010, 02:04
Slower speed, but Trulli driving over Chandhok at Monaco this year was also pretty scary?

http://www.yallaf1.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/d10mon1670.jpg

i_max2k2
16th November 2010, 06:46
When that happened for a sec, I had that weird feeling, cause I was unable to see his face, I was so glad he was alright, it almost makes you fearful that one freak accident could make the world loose a great. Whatever he does, and whenever he retires, I hope he doesn't get into something similar.

Mark
16th November 2010, 08:28
I would like Schumacher to retire. Not because I want rid of him or anything, but a great (possibly the greatest) driver like him shouldn't be risking his life to finish in the bottom half of the top 10.

He should walk away with his achievements in the sport undiminished.

Dr. Krogshöj
16th November 2010, 08:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW_4QaRRYVw

Mia 01
16th November 2010, 09:07
I would like Schumacher to retire. Not because I want rid of him or anything, but a great (possibly the greatest) driver like him shouldn't be risking his life to finish in the bottom half of the top 10.

This.

Driving in the midfield is danger, anything ´can happen specially at the start and the first laps. Kids need a dad.

52Paddy
16th November 2010, 11:40
Kids need a dad.

Too true :up:

Daika
16th November 2010, 16:07

Don't really get this comment. Why Schumacher and not the other 21 drivers on the grid. Wheter you are dead because of F1, does it make a difference when you are 20 or 40 years old? It is all part of the game, the risk to die is no greater wheter you are Schumacher or Kubica and what about Barichello? Sure if you apply the same logic you would like him to retire to. Age got nothing to do with freaks accidents that leads to death. Sad but Vettel, Alonso, Hamilto, Button could be dead in the same manner. In a field of 24 drivers there is always a midfield and backfield. Otherwise will be having 6 grid car like the US grand prix (that was fun wasn't it..)

Btw who got kids? Schumacher, Barichello, Trulli?

UltimateDanGTR
16th November 2010, 16:20
It was indeed a horrible accident-head on crashes are luckily something very rare in F1 (as in most motorsports luckily) but it was proof of the dangers of head-on colllisions...

Now, we mention retirement because of this. I doubt it, Michael is Michael, I think his wise old head would tell him to 'keep calm and carry on' he knows the dangers, knows he was lucky but he knows thats racing. (Thats my gut feeling anyway)

lets also consider this about the accident;

If it had happened to any other driver, would we be talking about retirement in the same vein as here?

Daika
16th November 2010, 16:44
Some people on this board seems to make a difference between: young driver vs old driver. Somehow if you are young and have no kids, you are able to take greater risks. They say to Schumacher, you have a great career,wife and kids why risk death for it?

What do they say to Vettel? you are at the beginning of your career, no wife or kids. Yeah it is alright if you to take all of those risk that a 40 old shouldn't in pursuit to become world champion.

Mia 01
16th November 2010, 20:25
Some people on this board seems to make a difference between: young driver vs old driver. Somehow if you are young and have no kids, you are able to take greater risks. They say to Schumacher, you have a great career,wife and kids why risk death for it?

What do they say to Vettel? you are at the beginning of your career, no wife or kids. Yeah it is alright if you to take all of those risk that a 40 old shouldn't in pursuit to become world champion.

Thoose who has kids kews the answer.

Shifter
16th November 2010, 22:17
Raise your hand if you know the usual age of a formula vee driver, and have seen how hard they crash.

Michael Schumacher should not retire because of this crash. He's safer in his Merc F1 car than he was on a GP bike anyway!

Daika
16th November 2010, 23:38
Thoose who has kids kews the answer.

Would you give your kidney to somebody that have kids or one that doesn't? Would you give your kidney/heart/organ to Schumacher only on the basis because he has a family?

It basicly implies that Schumacher should value (his) life more than a young driver that doesn't have a family. It is way offtopic but the same moral dilemma exist. The risk that both drivers have are equal (death). Not more because one has kids and the other doesn't.

Tazio
17th November 2010, 03:21
If one dies he will be just as dead as the other :s mokin:
:rotflmao:

Roamy
17th November 2010, 07:01
this ain't a big deal. That is why they wear helmets. MS with his arrogance will blow this off like the foam on a pils beer.

Big Ben
17th November 2010, 07:17
he shouldn't retire because of safety issues. I'm taking greater risks when I drive every day to work. He should retire because he's lame and it's time for others to take that seat and give it a try.

Roamy
17th November 2010, 07:20
he shouldn't retire because of safety issues. I'm taking greater risks when I drive every day to work. He should retire because he's lame and it's time for others to take that seat and give it a try.

well I didn't want to be that cruel incase JV get s a ride

ZEROX
17th November 2010, 13:49
Nah, he wouldn't retire JUST because of that.
Compare to what he have in the past, this is just a little slow speed crash.
Remember Britain 1999? Head-on crash with the tyre barrier. Remember Melbourne 2001 practice session? He went airborne. Or just this, slamming behind Coulthard's Mclaren in wet Belgium 1998 race. The tyre just detach from his car and fly somewhere. It could be worse.

This certainly won't back him down. I wish he will get back to his speed next year.
That if Merc. give him a much more better car. :p

ArrowsFA1
19th November 2010, 16:03
Never mind the accident, which I don't think will be a factor. More worrying from Michael's point of view is this:

Nico Rosberg doubts the new Pirelli tyres will do anything to ease the difficulties Mercedes suffered with front-tyre grip on the 2010 Bridgestones, after the Formula 1 teams tried the 2011 rubber for the first time in Abu Dhabi today.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88413

i_max2k2
19th November 2010, 18:01
Never mind the accident, which I don't think will be a factor. More worrying from Michael's point of view is this:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88413

Just read this, doesn't look good, I'm hoping they weren't building a car that would rely too much more on the tyres, for that responsive front grip rather then aero. Lets see how the first 2011 car tests go, btw when do they start their first tests?

ArrowsFA1
23rd November 2010, 08:29
Just read this, doesn't look good...
Ahhh, but now read this...

Michael Schumacher declared himself happy with the initial feeling of the Pirelli tyres after his first test of the new rubber...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88437

Mark
23rd November 2010, 09:46
Interesting points about Schumachers style. It's always been in favour of oversteer, i.e. relying on front end grip and then his skill to keep the back end in line.

i_max2k2
24th November 2010, 00:34
Interesting points about Schumachers style. It's always been in favour of oversteer, i.e. relying on front end grip and then his skill to keep the back end in line.

And on the 2nd day of Pirelli tests, he was the 2nd fastest in abu dhabi.

Which I also think is the harder of the two, i.e. controlling the cars oversteer rather then controlling the understeer.

Garry Walker
24th November 2010, 11:48
He should retire because he's lame and it's time for others to take that seat and give it a try.

once he gives a beating to monobrow next year, your words will come to haunt you :D

Retro Formula 1
24th November 2010, 14:01
once he gives a beating to monobrow next year, your words will come to haunt you :D

Sometimes Garry, just sometimes, you remind me of STD

:D

Garry Walker
24th November 2010, 14:09
Sometimes Garry, just sometimes, you remind me of STD

At first I thought you were comparing me to Saint Devote, in which case I would have been very offended and reported your post.

Thankfully then I understood you were telling me I remind you of a Sexually Transmitted Disease, so everything is okay and your post will not be reported :D

Retro Formula 1
24th November 2010, 14:27
At first I thought you were comparing me to Saint Devote, in which case I would have been very offended and reported your post.

Thankfully then I understood you were telling me I remind you of a Sexually Transmitted Disease, so everything is okay and your post will not be reported :D

PML. One is a socially unacceptable source of great irritation and stigma while the other is sexually transmitted :D

Now, stop being crabby and give yourself a clap ;)

markabilly
24th November 2010, 16:25
PML. One is a socially unacceptable source of great irritation and stigma while the other is sexually transmitted :D

Now, stop being crabby and give yourself a clap ;)

Big Ben
24th November 2010, 18:15

Are you talking about Ioan there?