PDA

View Full Version : Rosberg

rickos
14th November 2010, 14:39
26th Sep 09, 11:19
Originally Posted by rickos
Rosberg is showing what a driver means to an iffy car...cream of the crop.

Cream of the crop?? That's both overblown and untrue, but that's what having a crappy team-mate does to a drivers reputation.

A year later, Rosberg is the cream of the crop, again, crap team-mate or not.
Good breeding by a former F1 driver is has shown to be a key ingredient, now and in the past.

ioan
14th November 2010, 14:55
He did good this season, no question about it.

F1boat
14th November 2010, 14:57
Solid season!

jens
14th November 2010, 15:14
I am really impressed by Nico and he is certainly an underappreciated driver. There was a thread recently that Kubica might be a top driver or even "best driver", but based on this season Rosberg doesn't seem any inferior, if we are trying to find a comparison with a direct rival in the WDC standings.

I have to say that Rosberg reminds me a bit of Häkkinen. Despite being his modest self and being a bit off the radar in terms of attention he keeps doing a consistently professional job and beating team-mates. There were doubters about Häkkinen too before him finally starting to challenge for WDC's, so looking forward to see Rosberg reaching those heights one day as well. But it remains to be seen, how well can pure Mercedes GP replicate the rise of McLaren-Mercedes from the mid-90's - after all, they were also 4th in WCC after starting the co-operation in 1995.

steveaki13
14th November 2010, 15:27
A good season for Nico. Lets see if he can lift on again next year. Depending on the car of course.

OutRun
14th November 2010, 16:27
He didn't make the mistakes that drivers in the better teams made. He showed great qualifying and great race craft. He only needed a faster car.

steveaki13
14th November 2010, 16:29
He didn't make the mistakes that drivers in the better teams made. He showed great qualifying and great race craft. He only needed a faster car.

Yep

Sonic
14th November 2010, 16:59
Not the season Nico was expecting I'm sure. No doubt he expected to get the monkey off his back and win his first GP.

Once it became clear that was never going to happen he got his head down, tore MS to bits, and came out best of the rest.

Give merc a top 3 car next season and that first win is sure to come.

UltimateDanGTR
14th November 2010, 17:17
I really hope Mercedes have a car capable of winning next year, that would be the time for Rosberg to step up to the plate like I think he has the potential to do.

solid, solid driver.

Mia 01
14th November 2010, 17:40
Nico is as good as Robert.

I expect him to take atleast one win next year.

fandango
14th November 2010, 18:15
He's solid and quick, that's for sure. But I've yet to see him really under pressure. I hope he starts winning soon. It was funny how he was able to get round that corner and Schumacher wasn't...

DexDexter
14th November 2010, 20:53
I am really impressed by Nico and he is certainly an underappreciated driver. There was a thread recently that Kubica might be a top driver or even "best driver", but based on this season Rosberg doesn't seem any inferior, if we are trying to find a comparison with a direct rival in the WDC standings.

I have to say that Rosberg reminds me a bit of Häkkinen. Despite being his modest self and being a bit off the radar in terms of attention he keeps doing a consistently professional job and beating team-mates. There were doubters about Häkkinen too before him finally starting to challenge for WDC's, so looking forward to see Rosberg reaching those heights one day as well. But it remains to be seen, how well can pure Mercedes GP replicate the rise of McLaren-Mercedes from the mid-90's - after all, they were also 4th in WCC after starting the co-operation in 1995.

I read somewhere that Mika was Nico's idol so....

DexDexter
14th November 2010, 20:54

I read somewhere that Mika was Nico's idol so.... Anyway I like him a lot (and that's not because he is half-Finnish) but because he is an excellent driver who knows how to behave off the circuit as well.

scaliwag
14th November 2010, 22:17
Come on everyone, Nico stands no chance next season, he will be Schumacher's second driver, relegated to be his rear gunner, in much the same way as all Schumacher's team mates were at Ferrari.

Nico is good, very good, I hope he leaves Mercedes and returns to Williams, at the very least he will get a fair crack of the whip there.

regards scaliwag.

Daika
14th November 2010, 23:29
Come on everyone, Nico stands no chance next season, he will be Schumacher's second driver, relegated to be his rear gunner, in much the same way as all Schumacher's team mates were at Ferrari.

Nico is good, very good, I hope he leaves Mercedes and returns to Williams, at the very least he will get a fair crack of the whip there.

regards scaliwag.

What have you been smoking!? Rosberg beats the living daylights out of Schumacher this season. They end the season with Schumacher equal or perhaps a little bit faster (not tenth but in the 0,01), but that is the last 4 races or so. I'm not sure on the basis of the last races Rosberg wil beat Schumacher in the same manner as the 2010 season. But no doubt about this season, Rosberg is the current top 5 driver, only Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel is above him.

Cooper_S
14th November 2010, 23:35
Rosberg is the current top 5 driver, only Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel is above him.

LOL

Duchess
14th November 2010, 23:38
I'll be very surprised if Nico doesn't get a couple podiums next season. Let's hope Mercedes GP get their act together for developing their 2011 car.

Daika
14th November 2010, 23:52
LOL

It make sense if i think Kubica and Rosberg are equal. Or at least in my head...

555-04Q2
15th November 2010, 05:28
Yeah, Rosberg has been solid this season. He seems to have matured into a rather useful F1 driver. Hopefully he and The Shoe will have a car that can challenge for wins and the WDC/CC next season. Bring on 2011!

wattoroos
15th November 2010, 07:58
he really made the most of a good strategy call to finish fourth, looks like pitting at the start was the way to go unless you were right up there.

i think that rosberg will be a dark horse next year

scaliwag
20th November 2010, 13:27
he really made the most of a good strategy call to finish fourth, looks like pitting at the start was the way to go unless you were right up there.

i think that rosberg will be a dark horse next year

I hope your right, however as I stated earlier I believe Rosberg will be relegated to second driver, just as every other driver has, who has had the misfortune to be in the same team as Schumacher.
As with Prost and Senna before him, Schumacher will have insisted he be No1, next season anything and everything will revolve around Schumacher, I really hope I'm wrong, however experience tells me I'm right.

scaliwag.

truefan72
21st November 2010, 00:10
I hope your right, however as I stated earlier I believe Rosberg will be relegated to second driver, just as every other driver has, who has had the misfortune to be in the same team as Schumacher.
As with Prost and Senna before him, Schumacher will have insisted he be No1, next season anything and everything will revolve around Schumacher, I really hope I'm wrong, however experience tells me I'm right.

scaliwag.

I don't think that MSC can make the case for #1 status. If he did, they would probably tell him that Rosberg should get that status. I do think we are going to get a repeat of this year where both sides of the garage are acting sorta independently and by default help the team. If either one becomes a real WDC contender, I am sure the other would be supportive the occasion called for help.

First things first, lets just hope that with a year under their belt Mercedes GP can now build a very good car to match their excellent engine.

Valve Bounce
21st November 2010, 00:31
I don't think that MSC can make the case for #1 status. If he did, they would probably tell him that Rosberg should get that status. I do think we are going to get a repeat of this year where both sides of the garage are acting sorta independently and by default help the team. If either one becomes a real WDC contender, I am sure the other would be supportive the occasion called for help.

Yeah Right! I cannot see what this premise is based on.

First things first, lets just hope that with a year under their belt Mercedes GP can now build a very good car to match their excellent engine.

This is a distinct possibility, judging by some of Rosberg's efforts this year.

Ranger
21st November 2010, 00:53
A year later, Rosberg is the cream of the crop, again, crap team-mate or not.
Good breeding by a former F1 driver is has shown to be a key ingredient, now and in the past.

He has had an excellent season, no question.

But I still disagree with 'cream of the crop'.

Roamy
21st November 2010, 04:48
He has had an excellent season, no question.

But I still disagree with 'cream of the crop'.

So then you agree MS was not that great - I will go with that !!

i_max2k2
21st November 2010, 06:32

scaliwag.

With all his other team mates, Schumi was always faster and that called for his no one status, he dint radio the team to ask his teammate to slow down like we saw in Germany. This time its very different, Rosberg has been faster in majority of the races, and he has accepted that fact, and never once I have seen where something was changed because of schumi which didn't suit Rosberg. So the basis on which your making the assumption itself is wrong.

scaliwag
21st November 2010, 07:47
With all his other team mates, Schumi was always faster and that called for his no one status, he dint radio the team to ask his teammate to slow down like we saw in Germany. This time its very different, Rosberg has been faster in majority of the races, and he has accepted that fact, and never once I have seen where something was changed because of schumi which didn't suit Rosberg. So the basis on which your making the assumption itself is wrong.

Well I guess we'll find out who's right and who's wrong next season, I'll stick to my guns until proven wrong, and in the unlikely event I turn out to be wrong I'll accept it without equivocation.

scaliwag.

N4D13
21st November 2010, 12:00
I believe that Rosberg is a great driver, and that if he's given the chance, he can mount a serious challenge for the championship - much more serious than Vettel or Kubica would. While I believe that Kubica is rather overrated (he was beaten by Quick Nick in 2007 and 2009), I'm also inclined to think that Nico has much more to offer than we have seen and that he's just waiting to be given a fast car. He seldom makes mistakes and he's always faster than his teammates. And the guy even pulled off a FL when driving for Williams in his first ever GP.

ShiftingGears
21st November 2010, 12:03
I think Rosberg is good, not great. Hopefully he can win a grand prix next year.

UltimateDanGTR
21st November 2010, 14:24
He seldom makes mistakes.

this quote made me try to recall a major mistake Rosberg has made this year.

I honestly failed; I can't think of one. That says it all.
I can say the same for Robert Kubica I think.

scaliwag
21st November 2010, 15:11
I believe that Rosberg is a great driver, and that if he's given the chance, he can mount a serious challenge for the championship - much more serious than Vettel or Kubica would. While I believe that Kubica is rather overrated (he was beaten by Quick Nick in 2007 and 2009), I'm also inclined to think that Nico has much more to offer than we have seen and that he's just waiting to be given a fast car. He seldom makes mistakes and he's always faster than his teammates. And the guy even pulled off a FL when driving for Williams in his first ever GP.

Maybe I've failed to indicate the thrust of my first post, in no way am I denigrating Nico, on the contrary Nico is a world champion in waiting, my contention is he will not achieve that status with Schumacher as his team mate, simply because Schumacher has always demanded and got No1 driver status in every F1 team he has driven for, now think about it everyone, Schumacher the 7 times world champion had been retired for three years, and was a well paid consultant at Ferrari.

Are we to believe he would abandon his reputation and his connection to Ferrari and put his status and reputation on the line to have equal status with Nico? particularly as the team is now a wholly owned German team, (with his old mentor Brawn at its head and Norbert its controller), without assurances he will be No1, well I don't know about you but my answer is a resounding NO he would not.

That's why I feel Nico would be better off in another team.

I stated on this forum when Schumacher retired and Brawn took a sabbatical that we should not be surprised to see them re-emerge at another team, I thought it was to be Honda, well I was not that far wrong, was I?

scaliwag

i_max2k2
21st November 2010, 17:05
this quote made me try to recall a major mistake Rosberg has made this year.

I honestly failed; I can't think of one. That says it all.
I can say the same for Robert Kubica I think.

China in rain when he was leading button, overshot a corner and let him past, and I think button won that race, thats just one, and he usually makes poor starts.. dropping from 2-5 places many a times this season..

N4D13
21st November 2010, 20:53
Maybe I've failed to indicate the thrust of my first post, in no way am I denigrating Nico, on the contrary Nico is a world champion in waiting, my contention is he will not achieve that status with Schumacher as his team mate, simply because Schumacher has always demanded and got No1 driver status in every F1 team he has driven for, now think about it everyone, Schumacher the 7 times world champion had been retired for three years, and was a well paid consultant at Ferrari.

Are we to believe he would abandon his reputation and his connection to Ferrari and put his status and reputation on the line to have equal status with Nico? particularly as the team is now a wholly owned German team, (with his old mentor Brawn at its head and Norbert its controller), without assurances he will be No1, well I don't know about you but my answer is a resounding NO he would not.

That's why I feel Nico would be better off in another team.

I stated on this forum when Schumacher retired and Brawn took a sabbatical that we should not be surprised to see them re-emerge at another team, I thought it was to be Honda, well I was not that far wrong, was I?

scaliwag
Quite frankly, I wasn't answering to your first post. I was only stating my opinion on Rosberg. :cool:

havk
21st November 2010, 21:02

In 2006 Rosberg collected 4 points while Webber 7. When comparing to Vettel, Rosberg is more experienced of course, and he makes very rarely mistakes, but I doubt he is equally fast. I think Vettel after this very hard season will be better and much more experienced driver. I don't think Rosberg is better Kubica - this season he scored just 6 points more than him, and Mercedes seems to have a bit better car, especially on the begining of the season. In 2009 Kubica was beaten by Heidfeld just by 2 points (19-17) and when analyse the whole season and consider Kubica was better in qualifying 11-6 I'd say he didn't make worse job than Heidfeld. It was really not lucky season for him.

Of course it was really fantastic season for Rosberg, If Mercedes built good car he'd be one of title contenders.

Valve Bounce
22nd November 2010, 09:29
In 2006 Rosberg collected 4 points while Webber 7. When comparing to Vettel, Rosberg is more experienced of course, and he makes very rarely mistakes, but I doubt he is equally fast. I think Vettel after this very hard season will be better and much more experienced driver. I don't think Rosberg is better Kubica - this season he scored just 6 points more than him, and Mercedes seems to have a bit better car, especially on the begining of the season. In 2009 Kubica was beaten by Heidfeld just by 2 points (19-17) and when analyse the whole season and consider Kubica was better in qualifying 11-6 I'd say he didn't make worse job than Heidfeld. It was really not lucky season for him.

Of course it was really fantastic season for Rosberg, If Mercedes built good car he'd be one of title contenders.

Rosberg did outscore SchM this season, and he ain't some second rate driver.

Sonic
22nd November 2010, 15:00

And who predicted that? If at seasons start you were told that Nico would trample all over the 7 times champ most would have laughed. But now it's come to pass Nico should be hot property - but yet there's plenty who doubt him still.

Retro Formula 1
22nd November 2010, 15:26
And who predicted that? If at seasons start you were told that Nico would trample all over the 7 times champ most would have laughed. But now it's come to pass Nico should be hot property - but yet there's plenty who doubt him still.

I predicted it but was told I'm a hater. Not because Rosberg is the second coming but because Schumacher wasn't the hot property he once was when he retired, let alone on his return.

Rosberg will be a really strong driver along the lines of a Kubica or Vettel but not quite the 1% that Alonso and Hamilton bring to the game IMHO.

Robinho
22nd November 2010, 15:42
i said at the start of the year that Rosberg could not win (metaphorically) this year, if he was beaten by MS he would have stalled his career and been going nowhere, even if he soundly beat MS then all the speculation would be why MS was so slow, not why Rosberg was so fast.

I think i was proved right here. I think MS and Rosberg will be pretty close next year, and i aslo do not believe there will be any No.1 shenanigans such as we saw in the Ferrari years, MS will not be about for long enough to warrant that kind of behaviour and I doubt Rosberg would stand for it, he is an established driver with a career to make and race wins and championships to chase.

i think its all moot anyway and that Mercedes will be 3rd best car at best next year, likely 4th again behind Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari

scaliwag
22nd November 2010, 16:36
i said at the start of the year that Rosberg could not win (metaphorically) this year, if he was beaten by MS he would have stalled his career and been going nowhere, even if he soundly beat MS then all the speculation would be why MS was so slow, not why Rosberg was so fast.

I think i was proved right here. I think MS and Rosberg will be pretty close next year, and i aslo do not believe there will be any No.1 shenanigans such as we saw in the Ferrari years, MS will not be about for long enough to warrant that kind of behaviour and I doubt Rosberg would stand for it, he is an established driver with a career to make and race wins and championships to chase.

i think its all moot anyway and that Mercedes will be 3rd best car at best next year, likely 4th again behind Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari

Yes Rob, Nico did indeed stomp all over MS this year, and given the opportunity he would do it again, but he ain't gonna get that opportunity next year.

Rob, Massa was all but WC at Ferrari until LH beat him at the last race, then FA joins the team and FM is told to move over and let FA win, why because FA is No1 driver,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I doubt Rosberg would stand for it, he is an established driver with a career to make and race wins and championships to chase.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob, FM had no choice because he is de-facto second driver, my contention is Schumacher will consolidate his position as No1 driver next season, and Nico will have no choice but to tow the line, if he doesn't he may well have very long pit stops when changing tyres.

scaliwag.

Sonic
22nd November 2010, 18:51

AndyL
22nd November 2010, 22:45

cough cough (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137297) ;)

Dave B
23rd November 2010, 09:30
I posted this back in April, and it seems pertinent now:

Originally Posted by Dave Brockman http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/aria/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=781570#post781570)
Is Rosberg just a hell of a lot better than we give him credit for? He blew Nakajima away at Williams and most of us simply assumed that the Japanese driver was a bit crap, but now he's enjoying similar superiority over Schumacher maybe we've been doing Nico a dis-service all this time.

Garry Walker
24th November 2010, 11:56
Rosberg is a good driver, but that is it. If Schumacher gets to grip with the tyres next year, Rosberg will be raped.

jens
24th November 2010, 16:38
Rosberg is a good driver, but that is it. If Schumacher gets to grip with the tyres next year, Rosberg will be raped.

Feels like I have heard something like that already. Oh yeah, that was before 2010! :)

Sonic
24th November 2010, 18:42
Feels like I have heard something like that already. Oh yeah, that was before 2010! :)

Fact. Give the guy some credit - all this tyre BS is just excuses for old man time.

Jag_Warrior
24th November 2010, 20:26
Give merc a top 3 car next season and that first win is sure to come.

That's what I'm hoping for too. In a better car, I think this young man would be challenging for wins. The only thing that would hold him back from a WDC (even in a great car) is that he doesn't seem to have that ruthless quality that most of them have.

But here's hoping that 2011 will be the year that we get to talk about Nico as a race winner! :cool: