PDA

View Full Version : Aston Martin F1 Team?

Jona
12th March 2007, 17:38
With Aston Martin now owned by David Richards and the impending Prodrive F1 entry, what do do people think the chances of an Aston Martin F1 team are?
http://www.crash.net/news_View~cid~1~id~144420.htm

ioan
12th March 2007, 18:07
Well, David Richards thinks the chances are up to 0%, so I suppose that sums it up pretty well.

truefan72
12th March 2007, 20:08
I'd say 30% as the chatter and groundswell for such a team grows. Congrats and Good luck to David Richards. I think that Ford completely undersold the brand. I guess time will tell

Ari
12th March 2007, 22:59
Depends on where the engine comes from for the ProDrive F1 team. If it's a home workshop engine it will end up with an Aston sticker on it.... if it's a purchase then it won't.

Simple as that.

ArrowsFA1
13th March 2007, 08:24
A Cosworth badged as an Aston :s mokin:

PSfan
13th March 2007, 08:51
A Cosworth badged as an Aston :s mokin:

With the engine freeze, and a 19,000 rev limit the Cosworth could be competitive...

But here's a thought, Could Cosworth and pro-drive co-develop a new power plant and submit it as an Aston Martin engine, giving them essentially a Cosworth engine that has an extra year of development?

ioan
13th March 2007, 08:51
You guys can imagine Richards risking the Aston brand by coming last in F1? He's a lot smarter than that.
He won't do it before the teams will be a very strong one, and that might not happen in F1.

I am evil Homer
13th March 2007, 08:57
Yep - Aston had a lot of troubles but is now profitable and spending money on new models..F1 would be too much of a risk for the brand.

And why did Ford sell the only profitable marque in its group??!!

ioan
13th March 2007, 08:59

Because most managers of American car companies seem to be idiots?

janneppi
13th March 2007, 09:16
Ford is very strapped for cash, i recall them mortaging their own factories while ago.

inimitablestoo
13th March 2007, 11:03
More likely they'll stick with the Aston Martin GT project - I know it was a while back, but Aston Martin didn't do that well the last time they diversified into Formula 1...

Wilderness
13th March 2007, 15:46
With the engine freeze, and a 19,000 rev limit the Cosworth could be competitive...

But here's a thought, Could Cosworth and pro-drive co-develop a new power plant and submit it as an Aston Martin engine, giving them essentially a Cosworth engine that has an extra year of development?
I like your thinking, but I also agree that the group sure don't want to tarnish the name of their new investment, like Lamborghini went through in the early 90s.

SuperAguri
13th March 2007, 16:30
It would be nice to get a green car back in F1, Aston fits the bill for me.

Although I agree that Prodrive needs to come good first. I either see Cosworth getting involved or some Asian manufacturer like Hyundai.

L5->R5/CR
13th March 2007, 16:41
Yep - Aston had a lot of troubles but is now profitable and spending money on new models..F1 would be too much of a risk for the brand.

Because it was the only brand that could be sold for more than the debt held against it (IE the only brand whose sale would generate positive revenue)...

futuretiger9
13th March 2007, 21:44
The new owners may consider that sportscar racing offers the best avenue for both promotional activity and technical spin-offs. That is, unless, Mr Richards has some engine badging arrangement up his sleeve.

call_me_andrew
13th March 2007, 21:57
I think the sale is going to benefit both Ford and Aston Martin. Aston Martin has thrived under Ford, but they’ve gone as far as they can go under Ford. Jaguar is struggling with a crisis of identity. If Jaguar were to focus on high-end sports cars, they’d infringe on Aston’s territory. If they were to focus on high-end sedans, they’d infringe on Volvo’s territory. Ford has been getting a lot of chassis technology from Jaguar, so it would make sense to keep them. Ford can’t grow a brand that won’t help the others. This is the best move for everyone.