PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone in the UK watching the BBC series "Luther"?

Jag_Warrior
8th November 2010, 03:56
I started watching this series on BBC America a couple of weeks ago. What initially caught my eye was the lead actor, Idris Elba, who plays DCI John Luther. He played "Stringer Bell" on the fantastic HBO series The Wire. In that series he played a smart, but ruthless, drug kingpin from Baltimore. And in that series he showed NO signs of an English accent. Neither did the actor who played "Jimmy McNulty": Dominic West. When people with heavy English accents all of a sudden have none (or a different one), that always blows me away. But anyway, this series, Luther, is really good! Most of the shows on commercial and pay TV here follow certain silly, predictable Hollywood formulas. Luther doesn't seem to follow any formula, except that the viewer knows who the criminal/killer is before Luther does. His path to catching the killers, and the cast of characters who support him, are unconventional, to say the least. And from what I've seen so far, the endings are completely unexpected!

I just saw that the series has been picked up for a second season. But is this show popular in the UK and are some of the UK posters here watching it?

wedge
8th November 2010, 13:58
I started watching this series on BBC America a couple of weeks ago. What initially caught my eye was the lead actor, Idris Elba, who plays DCI John Luther. He played "Stringer Bell" on the fantastic HBO series The Wire. In that series he played a smart, but ruthless, drug kingpin from Baltimore. And in that series he showed NO signs of an English accent. Neither did the actor who played "Jimmy McNulty": Dominic West. When people with heavy English accents all of a sudden have none (or a different one), that always blows me away. But anyway, this series, Luther, is really good! Most of the shows on commercial and pay TV here follow certain silly, predictable Hollywood formulas. Luther doesn't seem to follow any formula, except that the viewer knows who the criminal/killer is before Luther does. His path to catching the killers, and the cast of characters who support him, are unconventional, to say the least. And from what I've seen so far, the endings are completely unexpected!

I just saw that the series has been picked up for a second season. But is this show popular in the UK and are some of the UK posters here watching it?

Not sure about ratings but it was critcally acclaimed here in the UK.

Dominic West's accent on The Wire was atrocious at its worst. Trying some sort of generic east coast accent then goes into generic English accent when he gets into an argument.

glauistean
8th November 2010, 18:25
Not sure about ratings but it was critcally acclaimed here in the UK.

Dominic West's accent on The Wire was atrocious at its worst. Trying some sort of generic east coast accent then goes into generic English accent when he gets into an argument.

Sorry Wedge, I have to agree with Jag here. The accent that Dominic West has is really terrific. He sounds very much like a Baltimore native or close by. It seems effortless.

Jag mentioned Stringer Bell. I can't recall which of the two head guys he was. The studious one or the leader by default. Great series. One of the best ever on US TV. I am waiting for the next batch of re-runs they have on ON Demand.

Another show that was really good was Brotherhood. Both characters in the lead role were as far as I can recall were Australian. One guy a politician, East Coast and his brother a gangster. Never knew it until I read it. Same applies to the young guy in True Blood. He is Australian and plays a guy living in the bayou in Louisiana.

Lastly, a question Wedge. If you saw Cold Mountain, besides Jude Law there is this character played by a British (Londoner?) actor that I have seen play the bad guy many times. In Cold Mountain too. I saw him in one of the best movies for a long time called, Sexy Beast. This movie is excellent but my point is that this actor can, at a whim change his accent to suit without even putting in a great effort.

Jag_Warrior
8th November 2010, 19:17
Sorry Wedge, I have to agree with Jag here. The accent that Dominic West has is really terrific. He sounds very much like a Baltimore native or close by. It seems effortless.

Jag mentioned Stringer Bell. I can't recall which of the two head guys he was. The studious one or the leader by default. Great series. One of the best ever on US TV. I am waiting for the next batch of re-runs they have on ON Demand.

Another show that was really good was Brotherhood. Both characters in the lead role were as far as I can recall were Australian. One guy a politician, East Coast and his brother a gangster. Never knew it until I read it. Same applies to the young guy in True Blood. He is Australian and plays a guy living in the bayou in Louisiana.

To be honest, I never caught Dominic slipping into an English accent - maybe because I wasn't listening for it on my original watch of the series (since I didn't realize he was English). But around Baltimore, you do hear various accents. Some almost sound like a mix of New York and mid/deep south. If you get out on the Eastern Shore, you pick up totally different accents. But I didn't learn of West being English until probably well into Season 4. And by then, it wasn't a big deal to me. I didn't know that Idris Elba was English until very recently. Oh, and "Stringer Bell" was the studious one. He was the one taking business courses and worked out of a printing shop that he owned (as a front). The other one was Avon Barksdale: more of a stereotypical ghetto type. And something else I just found out: there actually was an Avon Barksdale in Baltimore. The creators claim that this character wasn't totally based on him, but he was a drug kingpin too. The actor who portrayed the Avon Barksdale character on the series interviewed the real Barksdale in an unreleased documentary. I'd love to see it.

I'm watching The Wire on DirecTV's The 101. They're also running Brotherhood now. I've only seen bits & pieces, but it also looks like a smartly done series. Once they recycle and start from the beginning again, I'll be sure to set the DVR to begin taping it. Truly good TV is darn hard to come by these days. So I hope that the BBC continues on with Luther well past a second season. As long as the writing remains sharp, it should be a GREAT series.

As a side-note, two others with great writing and storytelling are Breaking Bad and Rubicon (found that one by luck) - both on AMC.

wedge
9th November 2010, 11:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ2iGYwdEi8#t=3m28s

This one excerpt contains bad language: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg_3ZSeHL4g&feature=related

DexDexter
10th November 2010, 22:19
To be honest, I never caught Dominic slipping into an English accent - maybe because I wasn't listening for it on my original watch of the series (since I didn't realize he was English). But around Baltimore, you do hear various accents. Some almost sound like a mix of New York and mid/deep south. If you get out on the Eastern Shore, you pick up totally different accents. But I didn't learn of West being English until probably well into Season 4. And by then, it wasn't a big deal to me. I didn't know that Idris Elba was English until very recently. Oh, and "Stringer Bell" was the studious one. He was the one taking business courses and worked out of a printing shop that he owned (as a front). The other one was Avon Barksdale: more of a stereotypical ghetto type. And something else I just found out: there actually was an Avon Barksdale in Baltimore. The creators claim that this character wasn't totally based on him, but he was a drug kingpin too. The actor who portrayed the Avon Barksdale character on the series interviewed the real Barksdale in an unreleased documentary. I'd love to see it.

I'm watching The Wire on DirecTV's The 101. They're also running Brotherhood now. I've only seen bits & pieces, but it also looks like a smartly done series. Once they recycle and start from the beginning again, I'll be sure to set the DVR to begin taping it. Truly good TV is darn hard to come by these days. So I hope that the BBC continues on with Luther well past a second season. As long as the writing remains sharp, it should be a GREAT series.

As a side-note, two others with great writing and storytelling are Breaking Bad and Rubicon (found that one by luck) - both on AMC.

Hey, offtopic but a while ago you told me about Breaking Bad being an excellent TV-series and it certainly is. I'm totally hooked, thanks ;)

Jag_Warrior
15th November 2010, 18:54
Hey, offtopic but a while ago you told me about Breaking Bad being an excellent TV-series and it certainly is. I'm totally hooked, thanks ;)

I just saw this. Glad to hear that you like Breaking Bad. Yes, it's a fantastic show with great writing. I'm not sure what season you're watching, but keep some heart pills close by when you get to season 3.

Also, Breaking Bad has been renewed for a 4th season. And they're going to produce some online only, mini-episodes (http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEdTtV8tVTghhf) next year.

Hazell B
15th November 2010, 18:58
Watched (and loved) Luther :up:

Tried The Wire and just couldn't be bothered after ten minutes. I'm sure I cheated myself, but the heart hates what the heart hates :mark:

Malbec
16th November 2010, 12:55
Watched (and loved) Luther :up:

Tried The Wire and just couldn't be bothered after ten minutes. I'm sure I cheated myself, but the heart hates what the heart hates :mark:

I don't think anyone has ever fallen in love with the Wire after ten minutes or even after two episodes. Its only after about three or four episodes that you really realise how well written and acted it is.

Its more like a novel really, few books set out to enthrall in the first chapter or two. Instead the first couple of chapters lay down some story threads that are picked up and built up on over the rest of the book. The Wire is set up in the same way. I've seen the first series twice now and its only on second viewing that I've come to appreciate that there isn't a single wasted scene. Themes or scenes that seemed unimportant at the time become pivotal later on, sometimes several series down the line.

Luther is/was excellent too. Idris Elba is a quality actor.

Jag_Warrior
23rd November 2010, 19:15
I had to tap the "suspension of disbelief" button once or twice, but the mini-series finale was AMAZING!!! Unlike 99%+ of American TV, I had no chance of predicting anything that happened in the last two episodes! I now put this show in the same elite class as The Wire, Breaking Bad and Rubicon.

Also, Ruth Wilson, as sociopathic Alice Morgan, is a seriously good actress. Although quite pretty, she's also somewhat (naturally) creepy looking. She has nailed that role!

I can't wait for the next season of Luther to premiere! If you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot... if you don't mind having your mind toyed with by very talented writers.

Jag_Warrior
23rd November 2010, 19:28
I don't think anyone has ever fallen in love with the Wire after ten minutes or even after two episodes. Its only after about three or four episodes that you really realise how well written and acted it is.

You are most correct. Trying to judge The Wire based on ten minutes of viewing is like trying to decide how good War and Peace is after reading half a chapter!

The only reason I can think of to not like The Wire is if a person is sensitive to violence, or if a viewer finds realistic portrayals of the harder side of life to be disturbing. Not much bothers me. But I was bothered by the deaths of several of the kids. Season 3 was often quite tough to watch. But IMO, it was the best season of The Wire.

Luther is/was excellent too. Idris Elba is a quality actor.

Other than The Wire, I'd never seen Idris before. It's seeing him successfully portray two totally different characters (the cold, calm, calculating Stringer Bell vs. the very emotional, often unhinged Luther) that amazes me. Many of the actors on Luther are unknown to American viewers. But from watching the after-shows, the producers have apparently gone out of their way to select very accomplished stage and screen actors from the UK for even the smallest parts. And it shows!

DexDexter
24th November 2010, 08:20
You are most correct. Trying to judge The Wire based on ten minutes of viewing is like trying to decide how good War and Peace is after reading half a chapter!

The only reason I can think of to not like The Wire is if a person is sensitive to violence, or if a viewer finds realistic portrayals of the harder side of life to be disturbing. Not much bothers me. But I was bothered by the deaths of several of the kids. Season 3 was often quite tough to watch. But IMO, it was the best season of The Wire.

Other than The Wire, I'd never seen Idris before. It's seeing him successfully portray two totally different characters (the cold, calm, calculating Stringer Bell vs. the very emotional, often unhinged Luther) that amazes me. Many of the actors on Luther are unknown to American viewers. But from watching the after-shows, the producers have apparently gone out of their way to select very accomplished stage and screen actors from the UK for even the smallest parts. And it shows!

I agree about the Wire thing, you need to get into it but once you're hooked, it's an excellent series. My newest favourite is Boardwalk Empire, a very good series about 1920's liquor trade.

MrJan
24th November 2010, 09:24
Also, Breaking Bad has been renewed for a 4th season.

I would be outraged if it hadn't been, the end of the third series was immense. The whole show is fantastic, from the moment I saw the pilot I knew that it was a classic. Towards the end of the first series there is an episode where Walt goes to see Tuco, it's just superb.

It really annoys me that there was actually a channel over here that showed Breaking Bad but it's a crappy channel that no one really watches and it was put on at a stupid time. It really is the type of programme that deserves a wider viewing and people yelling from the rooftops about it.

Jag_Warrior
3rd October 2011, 18:46
The season premiere of Luther came on last night (BBC America). A few new characters, but still the same brilliant, edgy feel. Unlike most American shows that try to hook viewers with gun play and/or partial nudity and sex, you Brits actually do it by telling a good story. Who'd a thunk it?! The season finale of Breaking Bad is next week. So now I have something else to watch on Sunday nights once it goes on break. I'm trying to get into Boardwalk Empire. But it's one of those stylish shows... like Mad Men. Still good writing and good actors. But it's no Breaking Bad or Luther. I like great stories and writing over style. Also, Boardwalk has apparently earned the nick name Boobwalk Empire. I'm not against nudity, but I think they're using that for the hook that I just mentioned.

SGWilko
3rd October 2011, 19:09
The property co I work for owns the old Ram Brewery site in Wandsworth, where some of the scenes for Luther were shot. An ex Youngs Master Brewer is retained by us to continue brewing (not Youngs I might add) and maintain the continuous brewing legacy at the site. Lucky chap gets to meet loads of TV stars as it is a popular location.

MrJan
3rd October 2011, 19:21
The season finale of Breaking Bad is next week.

I'm so gutted about that :( Need to catch up on last night's episode but I'm yet to see a single episode (right from the first series) where I don't just want to watch the next one right away. THe only show that I've seen that comes even close is the Danish version of The Killing (Forbryldsen, I think) which was 20 episodes of slow moving drama that hooked me completely. For a show to have 4 seasons of such compelling drama is such an acheivement, and it's a real shame that the major British TV companies don't seem to have picked up on it.

Bolton Midnight
3rd October 2011, 23:18
Lucky chap gets to meet loads of TV stars as it is a popular location.

Or unlucky sod as lets face it so many celebs are shall we say maladjusted.

Luther is good tele, UK does have a lot of decent cop shows

Rebus
Morse / Lewis
Lynda La Plante stuff

Quite like DCI Banks that's on currently

Dexter was okay from America, The Killing was ruined :-(

MrJan
3rd October 2011, 23:45
I didn't go near the US version of the Killing, I knew it would annoy me. The thing is that the show itself was probably alright as a standalone, the problem was that it was always going to be in the shadow of the Danish original, which was pretty much as good as drama gets. I just don't get the US obsession with remaking foreign stuff without the subtitles, I half understand the idea of making it accessible to more people, but the story and setup of The Killing was complex enough that anyone following it would've easily grasped the subtitle thing.

Watched the first season or two of Dexter, it was alright but didn't really grab me...perhaps if it had been on normal telly from the start then it may have held my attention better.

Bolton Midnight
4th October 2011, 00:36
I only have Freeview so think I'm still at series 2 or 3 with Dexter, I liked its quirkiness, not often we are meant to be on the side of the serial killer.

The reason the Americans do their own version is well............

The same reason every American war film has them winning the war single handedly, the reason they changed the title of the Harry Potter films, the reason they alter Shameless, The Office etc

Malbec
4th October 2011, 10:30
THe only show that I've seen that comes even close is the Danish version of The Killing (Forbryldsen, I think) which was 20 episodes of slow moving drama that hooked me completely. For a show to have 4 seasons of such compelling drama is such an acheivement, and it's a real shame that the major British TV companies don't seem to have picked up on it.

I'm waiting for the Danish version of the Killing to arrive on my doorstep through lovefilm, really looking forward to it. BTW have you seen the Wire? I know I keep mentioning it but I suspect if you like the Killing you're going to love the Wire.

MrJan
4th October 2011, 12:37
I watched the first two, possibly 3 series of the Wire but for some reason just faded away from it. Think season 2 of the Killing is coming to UK TV in November, really looking forward to it, even if the 10 episodes probably won't manage to hold the same suspense.

Bolton Midnight
8th October 2011, 02:53
Missed the new Gene Hunt thing
can't spell his real name and cba to check it Phillip Glennister

Is it worth iplayer for the first episode?

MrJan
10th October 2011, 21:56
The season finale of Breaking Bad is next week.

Fuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkk!!!! So amazing!! You always know that the tension and the twists & turns are going to be impressive, but even then you're still not prepared for quite how involved it all is. I simply cannot stress enough how good this series is. Right from the pilot through 4 seasons of high intensity drama it has held my attention like no other. Having literally just watched the end of the last episode my heart is still beating quicker than normal, few things on telly have that effect.

The funny thing is that at the minute there is a channel in England showing repeats of Malcolm in the Middle and you simply can't see how the Bryan Cranston in that is the same bloke as the Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad.

If anyone here still hasn't watched Breaking Bad, I urge you to download or search out the DVDs, it really is television at it's best.

Bolton Midnight
11th October 2011, 01:21
Watched American Gangster the other night, and there was Luther getting his brains shot out.

Bolton Midnight
16th October 2011, 17:44
Have got quite into Hidden too, Glenister is a dude !!

The nation needs more Gene Hunt though.

Jag_Warrior
16th October 2011, 20:56
From reading an interview with series creator, Vince Gilligan, the season finale of Breaking Bad was all set to be the series finale had AMC not re-upped for another season. He was satisfied that the amazing ending we got would have done the job.

But back to the subject of the OP: Luther is also wrapping up next week. Now I understand why they call it a "mini-series." Having a short debut season is one thing. But six episodes for a second season? I have never seen anything like that before. This season isn't as good as the first, IMO. So if this wraps up the series, I'm OK with that.

MrJan
20th October 2011, 23:11
From reading an interview with series creator, Vince Gilligan, the season finale of Breaking Bad was all set to be the series finale had AMC not re-upped for another season. He was satisfied that the amazing ending we got would have done the job.

Yeah that seems about right. TBH they're coming close to being in danger of ruining the series by dragging it out, the season 4 plotline was pretty far fetched, I guess that season 5 will be more closely related the DEA being on their tail. Walt certainly is a changed man these days though, it seems a long time since he shaved his head and wandered in to see Tuco.....man I've got to watch the first season again!

Jag_Warrior
27th October 2011, 20:28
I was somewhat disappointed with (what I thought was) the series finale of Luther. It was a good enough episode, but not at all what one would expect from a series finale. But from what I've read, the BBC has ordered a third installment and it sounds like Idris Elba is back on board. The young hooker plot didn't really work for me this season. It really bordered on being kind of creepy. It was like they didn't have access to the Alice Morgan actress (my guess), so they substituted in a younger, broken female character in her place. I'm hoping they bring Alice back for the third season and end this well written, psychological drama the right way.

As American TV gets worse & worse/dumber & dumber, I find myself looking at shows on BBC America more than I ever have before. The AUD network is also showing some programs out of Australia. For something different, they're not bad. I've only watched it twice, but "Rake" seems interesting.