PDA

View Full Version : Greatest season ever

Daika
7th November 2010, 23:33
I read this alot, that people think this is one of the greatest season ever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2010/11/in_the_balance_in_the_desert.html#more

http://en.espnf1.com/brazil/motorsport/story/32749.html

Is it? In my view every year we seem to have a knife edge end where 2 drivers is fighting for it. I don't think this year is any more special than the past years.

555-04Q2
8th November 2010, 05:10
This is certainly one of the top 3 seasons I have ever watched, and I have watched 22 seasons so far.

ShiftingGears
8th November 2010, 05:58
Every season since I've started watching has been fantastic for different reasons. I believe having 4 drivers in mathematical contention going into the final race is unprecedented, however I may be wrong.

Tazio
8th November 2010, 06:08
We have had very close and increasingly exciting seasons ever since they modified the points scoring system from PI=10, and p2=6, and so on.

Ranger
8th November 2010, 06:13
I'll get back to you in a weeks time! :D

F1boat
8th November 2010, 07:20
It depends on who wins for me, honestly. If Alonso wins, I think that a Ferrari title will be the jewell in the crown of the best season ever. Almost the same situation will be if Lewis somehow wins, McLaren is also an amazing team. If Webber wins, cool. For me it will be nauseating if the fingerboy wins, but I am very, very biased.
But for sure it will be one of the greatest, although sometimes a grand duel is no less exciting than crazy season like this.

Mark
8th November 2010, 08:11
Yes the championship is very close this year, but I haven't found the races themselves to be particularly gripping tbh.

fandango
8th November 2010, 10:06
It's been a great season because there are so many drivers AND teams that are performing at their best. Red Bull's design and subsequent develoment, Ferrari putting a car together out of the box for Alonso in Monaco, McLaren's intra-team harmony are some of the examples.

One of the best? Maybe, but I think it takes time to decide these things - you need to look back and see how you remember it to say it was the greatest.

One thing is for sure, which is that those who claimed it was going to be terrible after the processional Bahrain GP were proven wrong.

ArrowsFA1
8th November 2010, 11:16
It's been a great season because there are so many drivers AND teams that are performing at their best.
What about the errors each of the contenders have made? That, perhaps more than anything else, has closed things up and made this such a tight finish to the WDC.

Red Bull have (according to @EliGP) led 59.3% of all laps this year. Only Ferrari have bettered that this decade, in 2002 & 2004. Given the level of dominance shown by Ferrari in those years Red Bull really should have the WDC wrapped up by now.

fandango
8th November 2010, 11:19
What about the errors each of the contenders have made? That, perhaps more than anything else, has closed things up and made this such a tight finish to the WDC.

I don't think the errors have caused things to be close, but rather the other way round: The mistakes made were because of the pressure of it all being so close, and people were finding the edge and sometimes going over it.

ioan
8th November 2010, 22:38
I've seen better in terms of F1 racing.

Red Bull have (according to @EliGP) led 59.3% of all laps this year. Only Ferrari have bettered that this decade, in 2002 & 2004. Given the level of dominance shown by Ferrari in those years Red Bull really should have the WDC wrapped up by now.

Just proves how good MS was, no mistakes.

ioan
8th November 2010, 22:39

donKey jote
8th November 2010, 22:41
was

until Alonso came along in his Renault :D

ioan
8th November 2010, 22:46
was

until Alonso came along in his Renault :D

Don't tempt me. ;)

steveaki13
8th November 2010, 23:07
I don't think its been the best season I have seen since starting to watch F1 in terms of the racing and action in each race.

I have seen a few seasons with many action packed races.

But as others have said to have 5 in the title hunt with 3 odd races to go and now going into the last round with 4 left in it is still pretty special.

Imagine Alonso crashing with Webber and Vettel blowing another engine, Lewis could still yet win it.

Unlikley but you can never be certain with F1.

i_max2k2
8th November 2010, 23:25
I've seen better in terms of F1 racing.

+1

But this season has been entertaining, after what we expected from the Bahrain procession. I'm hoping next year there might be 4 or 5 (if both merc and renault pick up pace and come close to the top 3 this year) competitive teams, that could be a cracker too :D .

Ari
9th November 2010, 02:13
For me it's been the best season ever.

I've watched Webber blow engines in the Minardi, gearboxes in the Williams and team mates in the Jag..... now to win a WDC in the Red Bull? So close.... so very, close.

Duchess
9th November 2010, 05:12
I don't recall myself ever having become so emotionally invested in a season before, and that is reason enough for me to consider 2010 the best F1 season I have ever witnessed. It's a testament to how unpredictable F1 as a sport can be.

Tazio
9th November 2010, 05:28
:eek:

I've watched Webber blow engines in the Minardi, gearboxes in the Williams and team mates in the Jag..... I don't believe that!! Did you get any pictures? Was it Klien, Pizzonia, Wilson, or any and all? :s mokin:

jens
9th November 2010, 14:36
'Greatest' is highly subjective, but I personally don't feel that 2010 has been as good as 2003 or 2008 in terms of racing excitement, if we search for recent examples. And in terms of the tightness of points standings, early 80's are the best IMO. Not only we had 4-5 guys fighting for the championship then, but also others got a look into achieving race wins here and there. Currently the five contenders tend to be the main contenders for all Top5 positions in races on most occasions. Even Renault and Mercedes are far away from threatening a race win, let alone others. So from that point of view (the whole depth of the field) even last year was more interesting, because we had all kinds of surprises here and there (even Force India competing for a win). 2010 has been closely fought in terms of points, but other than that we haven't had anything particularly stunning that would stick into the mind brightly for the rest of the life, perhaps with the exception of the memorable Red Bull crash in Turkey.

Big Ben
9th November 2010, 16:05
I would say NO! The show was a bit 'fake' so to speak. The reason we have so many contenders for the title in the final race is because Vettel's car kept blowing up and on top of that him making some really stupid mistakes... otherwise we would be done by now. I believe 2010 was less interesting than 2005, 2006, 2007 or 2008.... to mention some of the most recent. At least it wasnīt as bad as the previous one... or the 2002 and 2004 seasons I didnīt even bother to follow

gloomyDAY
9th November 2010, 16:13
I've watched Webber blow engines in the Minardi, gearboxes in the Williams and team mates in the Jag.....

:eek:

I don't believe that!! Did you get any pictures? Was it Klien, Pizzonia, Wilson, or any and all? :s mokin: :laugh:

Thanks. Just made my day.

Zico
9th November 2010, 17:03
Going into the final race with the WDC still undecided despite the dominance of the Red Bulls, and with plenty overtaking it has certainly been one of the more exciting ones. In saying that, If your favourite driver does not come through to take the title you probably wont remember it with much fondness.

Greatest ever? Probably not, but certainly one of the best in the last ten years at least.