PDA

View Full Version : TV Advice!

J4MIE
7th November 2010, 14:18
Ok, so thanks to winning some vouchers through my employers I have £625 to spend in Comet, and I am wanting a big new tv! As I was thinking of getting a new tv anyway so this has come at just the right time.

I had thought about this one http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/616850/PANASONIC-TX-P42G20B/tab/specification however googling gives a lot of horror stories about plasma screens having problems....... as really don't have a clue can you suggest anything?? I went into my local store (where I would have to buy it from, don't think I can use my vouchers online :( ) the other day and they have the same model and it is LCD, but it is £100 more. I'd prefer to spend a bit of extra cash myself to make sure I have something that is top quality, but obviously want it to last quite a few years for the cost of it!

I am not sure of the difference between plasma and LCD (though plasma sounds better, doesn't it? :p : ), does it matter?

The other option is that I get this one: http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/617105/PANASONIC-TX-P42X20B which as far as I can see is the same but doesn't have the freeview/freesat HD, but given that I will have to get a sky hd box arranged that would have it anyway - so then I could have a few hundred pounds to get a home cinema sound/blu-ray system with.......

Ah, I have no idea! Any help please? :)

Zico
7th November 2010, 21:26
I've also been thinking about upgrading recently..

There are pros and cons for each, so its really down to what performance categories are most important to you.
My personal choice would be LCD (No burn in), 'Full HD'-1080p which is more future proof as opposed to 'HD ready'-1080i, but thats all I've decided on so far... hoping to hear some more educated views on this subject myself.

Have a look at http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml for the basics.

fandango
7th November 2010, 21:30
I thought LED was better than LCD. That's what someone told me. I'd love to be able to buy a new TV without having to learn about all this c**p and without discovering it's in some way lacking after I buy it.

pino
8th November 2010, 06:21
Panasonic is a great choice and if I were you I would go for the Full HD ;)

CaptainRaiden
8th November 2010, 07:23
Plasma: Faster, smoother picture, no lag while watching fast action stuff like sports or action movies, since their response time is around 0.001 ms and the refresh rate on an average plasma TV is above 300-400 Hz. BUT there are still problems with burn-in. They consume more power, are more fragile, less bright during daylight etc.

LCD: Brighter picture. Are not as laggy compared to plasma as before, or as people would like to tell you. If you've watched movies on your LCD computer monitor and they look fine, they're going to look fine on the TV as well. They are brighter, have a more crisper picture. Contrast not as good as plasma. Refresh rate, response time all much lesser than plasma TVs, but LCD TVs have caught up in a big way. And this difference is minimal, almost not caught by the naked eye.

One good way to check this is to go to a TV shop, if you find the same size plasma and LCD next to each other, ask the TV salesman to play a Blu-Ray disc or any HD video on both TVs simultaneously, and then see the difference for yourself. I am going to buy this LG LCD TV soon. It's got a refresh rate of 200 Hz and a response time of 2 ms. VERY good for the price: http://www.lg.com/nl/tv-audio-video/televisie/LG-lcd-tv-42LD750.jsp

I thought LED was better than LCD. That's what someone told me. I'd love to be able to buy a new TV without having to learn about all this c**p and without discovering it's in some way lacking after I buy it.

LED TVs are nothing but LCD TVs with LED lights used as a way to light up the screen, instead of the flourescent CFL lights used in LCD TVs. This makes them brighter and consume lesser energy. Not worth the extra money, because they're too expensive currently. For the same size and criteria, LED TVs are up to $300 more expensive than normal LCDs in some cases. Stupid IMO.

Mark
8th November 2010, 08:20
Panasonic are a good TV make, I have one and I think it's great! And from what I've read people only have good things to say about them.

Not sure about Plasma as I've never tried it but I'd be wary of such a thing and stick to LCD :p . LED is indeed the future but it's a few years off competing directly with LCD on price at the moment.

One thing you may want to consider, the Panasonic Freesat TV's have an upgrade which gives you iPlayer on your TV (via the ethernet port at the back) whereas non-Freesat ones don't have that capability. But check on the freesat site first to make sure yours is supported.

Mark
8th November 2010, 13:51
Stay away from 60hz sets. You want a minimum of 120hz with 240 even better. That'll be my choice when I upgrade - unless something better comes out before then.

In Europe, the equivalent is 50hz / 100hz

veeten
8th November 2010, 14:15
also, take into account the size of the room the TV will be used in. If it is going to be in a large area, such as a 'family room', then 42" or larger will work. In a personal room, such as a bedroom, it's too much and a 28" to 32" would be a better fit.

Mark
8th November 2010, 14:17
32" or less then you need not bother with HD as you probably won't notice the difference anyway!

schmenke
8th November 2010, 14:23
Panasonic are a good TV make, I have one and I think it's great! And from what I've read people only have good things to say about them...

Yep. We bought a 50" Viera about a year ago and and are quite pleased with it :)

schmenke
8th November 2010, 14:24
32" or less then you need not bother with HD as you probably won't notice the difference anyway!

Just the opposite, I find there is a noticable difference, but I wouldn't worry about 1080p resolution. At that size you wouldn't notice the difference from a 720p.

Mark
8th November 2010, 14:46
Just the opposite, I find there is a noticable difference, but I wouldn't worry about 1080p resolution. At that size you wouldn't notice the difference from a 720p.

I have 32" 1080p and switching between the same broadcast in HD and SD, I honestly can't see any difference!

Whereas on my Mum's 37" 720p set there is quite a noticeable difference.

DonJippo
8th November 2010, 14:52
Panasonic are a good TV make, I have one and I think it's great! And from what I've read people only have good things to say about them.

:up: I have Panasonic plasma full HD and it's just great! Personally I like plasma better than LCD but like been said difference is nowadays minimal but still I would go for plasma.

Firstgear
8th November 2010, 16:54
Plasma screens are very reflective. So if it's going in a brighter room with windows, stay away from plasma or you'll get really annoyed at the reflections of the windows on the screen.

J4MIE
9th November 2010, 08:51
Thanks guys I am swaying towards spending the extra and getting the LCD version, I saw it in the shop a few months ago and was amazed at the quality, they were showing a ally in tunisia and the detail was fantastic, but back then I could only dream of spending such an amount on a tv :D

Just got to wait until next Monday :s

J4MIE
9th November 2010, 08:51
Thanks guys I am swaying towards spending the extra and getting the LCD version, I saw it in the shop a few months ago and was amazed at the quality, they were showing a ally in tunisia and the detail was fantastic, but back then I could only dream of spending such an amount on a tv :D

pino
9th November 2010, 09:50

Make sure you have some money left for WRC Sweden 2011 :p :

DonJippo
9th November 2010, 11:44
Plasma screens are very reflective. So if it's going in a brighter room with windows, stay away from plasma or you'll get really annoyed at the reflections of the windows on the screen.

You mean glass is more reflective in plasma TVs than in LCDs :hmph:

Mark
9th November 2010, 11:58

The screen on my LCD is noticeably less reflective than the surround. If it were the same I wouldn't be able to see the TV!

veeten
9th November 2010, 12:16
The screen on my LCD is noticeably less reflective than the surround. If it were the same I wouldn't be able to see the TV!
That's because LCD screens don't use glass, but a polycarbonate material. That way you don't have reflection and glare problems that glass screens have.

veeten
9th November 2010, 12:21

That's because the prices have fallen on LCD tv's over the last few months, due to a glut of them on the market. Even with the holidays coming up, there are great deals on them at all sizes.

Firstgear
9th November 2010, 15:01
Go into your local TV store and stand in front of LCD & plasma TV's when they're not on. You'll see yourself in the plasma screen almost as if you're looking into a mirror, whereas the LCD screen will still look quite black. When the TV is turned on, the reflections aren't as noticable, but lights and windows are still very obvious.

Andrewmcm
9th November 2010, 15:17
I have 32" 1080p and switching between the same broadcast in HD and SD, I honestly can't see any difference!

Whereas on my Mum's 37" 720p set there is quite a noticeable difference.

I have a Samsung 32" 1080p tv and I can see a lot of difference between SD and HD feeds of things - funnily enough it's particularly obvious on the darts coverage as you can see the bristles on the board in HD.

Of course one's eyes have a lot to do with it. I recently got a pair of glasses and now everything is pain sharp, particularly the HD channels! Maybe you should visit the optician's Mark! ;)

Daniel
9th November 2010, 17:25
I can see a huge difference between SD and HD content with iPlayer on my pc with a 24" 1920*1200 monitor.

GridGirl
9th November 2010, 18:37
Of course one's eyes have a lot to do with it. I recently got a pair of glasses and now everything is pain sharp, particularly the HD channels! Maybe you should visit the optician's Mark! ;)

That is so true. My other half was shocked at how good HD was when he put the glasses that he usually only uses for driving on to watch Englands first world cup match this summer.

This summers world cup is probably one of the reason's why tv's are still cheap right now. All manufacturer's stocked up for the summer. I don't think I would be far out in thinking that a high percentage of tv sales this year occurre d before June.

J4MIE
16th November 2010, 01:57
Right, I stopped in Comet on my way home from work and after being offered the web special offer of £100 off I took about two seconds to decide on the plasma! Got a stand for it as well and have to say it looks absolutely superb, still have to figure out the settings etc, but there does seem to be a noticable difference in the HD quality, amazing, watched Black Hawk Down cos it was on, really pleased with it. :D

F1 2010 is on another level totally, exceptional detail and a heck of a lot better, now I will have to spend more time playing to make use of it ;)

So with my prize vouchers at work and the slight price reduction I got the 42" plasma and a £80 stand for the princely sum of £56.... so even if I have any issue with the plasma in the future it's totally worth it in the meantime!

Thanks again for all your advice :) The fitting of it in my mum's Punto was the hardest part.........

Mark
16th November 2010, 08:03
Nice one! :cool:

BDunnell
16th November 2010, 11:21
My belated advice — don't bother with a TV and listen to Radio 4 and the World Service, only watching TV down the pub. Works for me.

Mark
17th November 2010, 08:34
Save yourself a few quid on the licence fee too I bet!

J4MIE
17th November 2010, 17:21
Save yourself a few quid on the licence fee too I bet!

I was thinking at the weekend that I would gladly pay the licence fee for the F1 coverage alone, I don't see how anyone can moan about it really.

Mark
17th November 2010, 17:51
Completely agree.

BDunnell
17th November 2010, 18:17
I was thinking at the weekend that I would gladly pay the licence fee for the F1 coverage alone, I don't see how anyone can moan about it really.

Or a whole host of another things. I say the same about Radio 4, because all the money goes into the same overall BBC 'pot'. We are very fortunate to have it.