PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli

Sonic
6th November 2010, 23:21
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87984

YAY! :D

Although the cynic in me thinks they just have cr@p tyres and don't want the bad press. :rolleyes: :p :

Whatever the reason it seems the majority of fans will be happy; quickly degrading softs and hard as nails primes.

ShiftingGears
7th November 2010, 00:10
They should ditch the mandatory 2 types of tyre rule during the race. It's pointless.

Hawkmoon
7th November 2010, 01:40
They should ditch the mandatory 2 types of tyre rule during the race. It's pointless.

I agree. Let the teams use all four compounds during a race. Make the compounds significantly different and it's up to the teams/drivers to gamble on which compound they can get to work best.

You might get different strategies that way - some teams going for a harder compund and trying to run the whole race without a stop and others going for a softer compund and trying to buildup a gap before having to stop.

Worst case we get what we have now which is everybody pretty much on the same strategy. Can't hurt to try.

call_me_andrew
7th November 2010, 02:39
I agree. Let the teams use all four compounds during a race. Make the compounds significantly different and it's up to the teams/drivers to gamble on which compound they can get to work best.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. With less compounds available, Bridgestone/Pirelli don't have to pay to ship as many tires.

steveaki13
7th November 2010, 14:38

You might get different strategies that way - some teams going for a harder compund and trying to run the whole race without a stop and others going for a softer compund and trying to buildup a gap before having to stop.

Worst case we get what we have now which is everybody pretty much on the same strategy. Can't hurt to try.

I agree with this

I also applaud Pirelli with this Idea, and hope they get the support they need. It good add a real tyre element to F1 rather than this forced stop rule.

Daniel
7th November 2010, 16:32
Pirelli are just making excuses because of the crap tyres they make

UltimateDanGTR
7th November 2010, 18:02

I suspect you're probably right. but Bridgestone tyres seem too good sometimes, so it's a fine balance. lets hope they are not awful, that would be a travesty and a joke for F1.

steveaki13
7th November 2010, 18:04
Look on the bright side.

Easy Drifter
7th November 2010, 18:14
The accuracy of the predictions on here amaze me.
TGF was going to blow Nico into the tub. How did that work out?
The Cosworth engine was garbage and would be at the back of the field. How did that work out?
Might we wait and see just what Pirelli produce before we proclaim them crap?

steveaki13
7th November 2010, 18:17
The Cosworth engine was garbage and would be at the back of the field. How did that work out?

:up:

N4D13
7th November 2010, 18:21
A quick note: I believe that the Cosworth engine is the worst of the field. However, given that we've only got the Williams, it's very difficult to draw a comparison.

UltimateDanGTR
7th November 2010, 18:22

What you say is perfectly true, though the recent announcement does indicate poor tyres you have to admit. however, if they have planned it this way to make a tyre that is hard to look after etc etc, then kudos to them.

ioan
8th November 2010, 22:30
Although the cynic in me thinks they just have cr@p tyres and don't want the bad press. :rolleyes: :p :

Most likely.

ioan
8th November 2010, 22:33

There's at least 6 of them propping up the grid. :D

pino
19th November 2010, 09:41
Vettel fastest in the first morning test :

1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 1m40.861s
2. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m40.913s
3. Robert Kubica Renault 1m41.032s
4. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber 1m41.466s
5. Gary Paffett McLaren 1m41.588s
6. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m41.978s
7. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso 1m42.642s
8. Rubens Barrichello Williams 1m42.655s
9. Adrian Sutil Force India 1m42.859s
10. Timo Glock Virgin 1m45.057s
11. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus 1m46.201s
12. Pastor Maldonado Hispania 1m46.534s

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88407

Valve Bounce
19th November 2010, 10:58
Vettel fastest in the first morning test :

1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 1m40.861s
2. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m40.913s
3. Robert Kubica Renault 1m41.032s
4. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber 1m41.466s
5. Gary Paffett McLaren 1m41.588s
6. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m41.978s
7. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso 1m42.642s
8. Rubens Barrichello Williams 1m42.655s
9. Adrian Sutil Force India 1m42.859s
10. Timo Glock Virgin 1m45.057s
11. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus 1m46.201s
12. Pastor Maldonado Hispania 1m46.534s

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88407

Pos Driver Car Time Laps
1. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 1m38.102s 77
2. Jerome D'Ambrosio Renault 1m38.802s 83
3. Sam Bird Mercedes 1m39.220s 82
4. Gary Paffett McLaren 1m39.760s 84
5. Jules Bianchi Ferrari 1m39.916s 93
6. Sergio Perez Sauber 1m40.543s 91
7. Paul di Resta Force India 1m40.901s 27
8. Pastor Maldonado Williams 1m40.944s 81
9. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso 1m40.974s 61
10. Yelmer Buurman Force India 1m41.178s 67
11. Davide Valsecchi Hispania 1m43.013s 32
12. Luiz Razia Virgin 1m43.525s 70
13. Josef Kral Hispania 1m44.143s 61
14. Rodolfo Gonzalez Lotus 1m44.312s 41
15. Vladimir Arabadzhiev Lotus 1m45.723s 49

Does this tell us anything?

I am evil Homer
19th November 2010, 11:04
Yes the Pirelli's are very different on cars that weren't designed for them.

Retro Formula 1
19th November 2010, 11:41
I'm worried a little by the message as I don't want to see competition falsly engineered into the sport.

If it was a sh*t hot tyre that was a second a lap quicker but lasted only up to a 1/3 distance and a harder tyre that if MANAGED could do a full distance but was a second slower and ripped up if you abused it, then that could be interesting.

I was less than impressed with the tyres this year where we were hearing that the softs were good for 3 or 4 laps but then we had people doing almost full race distance with very little degredation. That's just silly.

AndyRAC
19th November 2010, 13:07

They have history, that's why they don't like competition....(control tyre formula are normally their thing).

pino
19th November 2010, 15:45
2nd session :

1. Massa Ferrari 1’40”170
2. Vettel Red Bull 1’40”500
3. Paffett McLaren 1’40”874
4. Kobayashi Sauber 1”40”950
5. Kubica Renault 1’41”032
6. Barrichello Williams 1’41”425
7. di Resta Force India 1’41”615
8. Rosberg Mercedes 1’41”778
9. Alguersuari Toro Rosso 1’42”019
10. Sutil Force India 1’42”859
11. Glock Virgin 1’44”124
12. Kovalainen Lotus 1’44”686
13. Maldonado Hispania 1’45”728

gloomyDAY
19th November 2010, 15:53
Vettel already had a rear tire deflate, so we're off to a mediocre start.

V12
19th November 2010, 16:14
I'm worried a little by the message as I don't want to see competition falsly engineered into the sport.

If it was a sh*t hot tyre that was a second a lap quicker but lasted only up to a 1/3 distance and a harder tyre that if MANAGED could do a full distance but was a second slower and ripped up if you abused it, then that could be interesting.

I was less than impressed with the tyres this year where we were hearing that the softs were good for 3 or 4 laps but then we had people doing almost full race distance with very little degredation. That's just silly.

Agree with most of this. Personally, if we're stuck with a control tyre then the least they could do for us is supply a range of compounds going from very grippy but not very durable, to very durable but little grip, with a few in between, and let the teams run what they want when they want at every race, that would be acceptable.

truefan72
19th November 2010, 17:54

that is the way I see it

i_max2k2
19th November 2010, 18:03
And with the first tests, Nico's saying that they are much slower then bridgestones, are these the final set of tires that they would be using in races, or would they keep improving till first practice in Bahrain?

truefan72
19th November 2010, 18:06
I suspect you're probably right. but Bridgestone tyres seem too good sometimes, so it's a fine balance. lets hope they are not awful, that would be a travesty and a joke for F1.

to me that is a fairly weird statement.

Since when is doing a good job on producing tyres a bad thing.
How can tyres be too good?????

It is only in these modern F1 times that we are now looking at a tyre manufacturer who produced an outstanding product as a bad thing. Amazing.
I hate these tyre situations and the stupid 2 compound rule. To me the tyres should play no factor in race strategy. Along with the stupid fuel regulations.

This is just an artificial and annoying way to spice up the show. The added element does not make for better racing only for more boring and predictable outcomes. Only twice this year did we see any excitement because of tyre degradation and that was Canada and Valencia, and that had more to do with the team's poor strategy than the tyre itself. More often than not, we see drivers having to abandon attacks because of the tyres

You can have either this mandatory 2 tyre rule or the no fueling rule. but not both IMO

Valve Bounce
19th November 2010, 21:58
How about a three tyre rule. Now that would really be interesting. :p :

Sonic
19th November 2010, 23:07
Vettel already had a rear tire deflate, so we're off to a mediocre start.

Due to some mystery "debris" apparently.

ioan
20th November 2010, 00:16
Due to some mystery "debris" apparently.

Most probably a left over marble from a Bridgestone tire punctured the Pirelli! :D

Easy Drifter
20th November 2010, 02:28
What a bunch of stupid drivel I have been reading.
You people are supposed to be enthusiasts with some understanding of how racing works not a bunch of once a year fans.
This is first real test of the new Pirelli F1 tires with an assortment of drivers and not one car designed to support the tires.
It is testing. It is for Pirelli and the car manufactures to sort things out.
The tires produced for the races will undoubtably be different.
So there was one failure. More than one Bridgestone failed this year for one reason or another.
I do not give a sweet &^*) if they are a second or 10 seconds slower than the Bridgestones. Who cares. It is the same for all and even might make passing easier, although I doubt it.
One flippin day of testing an a whole lot of useless gum flapping!

Well I guess I am in a lot of doghouses now.

Valve Bounce
20th November 2010, 04:08
You people are supposed to be enthusiasts with some understanding of how racing works not a bunch of once a year fans.
This is first real test of the new Pirelli F1 tires with an assortment of drivers and not one car designed to support the tires.
So there was one failure. More than one Bridgestone failed this year for one reason or another.
I do not give a sweet &^*) if they are a second or 10 seconds slower than the Bridgestones. Who cares. It is the same for all and even might make passing easier, although I doubt it.

I guess you are in the doghouse. :D
Racing has ended for the year, and there is really not that much to get excited about.
So we make up some fun to tide us over the next 4 months. If we don't, we'll all die of boredom. :(

Sonic
20th November 2010, 09:36
Racing has ended for the year, and there is really not that much to get excited about.
So we make up some fun to tide us over the next 4 months. If we don't, we'll all die of boredom. :(

Ditto.

Daniel
20th November 2010, 11:56
No

steveaki13
20th November 2010, 11:58
Isn't it nice having a yellow text on the edge of an F1 tyre after all these years?? :p

Not since Goodyear. Ah those were the days. :p

steveaki13
20th November 2010, 12:00

Well I'll have to join you in the doghouse as I think you are spot on. :)

Lets not judge to much until at least pre season testing in spring. The tyres will surely be improved before then, as car and tyre combo develops.

I may not have as much knowledge as some on here, but it seems a bit unfair to judge so early. :(

ioan
20th November 2010, 12:04

:up: :)

pino
20th November 2010, 15:13
Today's session :

1. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) 1'40"529
2. Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) 1'40"685
3. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) 1'40"825
4. Rubens Barrichello (Williams) 1'41"294
5. Robert Kubica (Renault) 1'41"614
6. Gary Paffett (McLaren) 1'41"622
7. Oliver Turvey (McLaren) 1'41"740
8. Paul Di Resta (Force India) 1'41"869
9. Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber) 1'42"110
10. Sebastien Buemi (Toro Rosso) 1'42"145
11. Tonio Liuzzi (Force India) 1'42"416
12. Sergio Perez (Sauber) 1'42"777
13. Jarno Trulli (Lotus) 1'44"521
14. Pastor Maldonado (Hispania) 1'44"768
15. Timo Glock (Virgin) 1'44"783

Sonic
20th November 2010, 17:20
Can it be? Surely not! Have Pirelli provided the silver bullet that the shoe needed? I know its early to judge, but....

Sonic
20th November 2010, 17:26
Ok. Forget it. Situation normal. That P2 time has been removed from official timings because he cut a chicane.

Duchess
20th November 2010, 21:58
I wonder how significant it is that Felipe Massa did so well in the first day of tire testing. He's the only driver to have lapped Abu Dhabi faster in testing than during the race. Maybe his whining about the Bridgestone tires this year wasn't entirely bullcrap after all??

1. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1’40.170s
2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 1’40.500s
3. Gary Paffett McLaren 1’40.874s
4. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber 1’40.950s
5. Robert Kubica Renault 1’41.032s

gloomyDAY
21st November 2010, 00:49

Well I guess I am in a lot of doghouses now.Chill fool!

Valve Bounce
21st November 2010, 01:22
Chill fool!

He can't - he's in the doghouse. :D

markabilly
21st November 2010, 01:56

Naw, just ckick on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He82NBjJqf8

If tamb can run loose again so should you--see chit chat,,,,next it will be tazio jumping out of the closet along with the saint devoted

anyway, I do not think it was that big a deal, as the cars and teams will acclimate, but it sounds like bad news for Schumi, as they bring more understeer according to Rosberg

Roamy
21st November 2010, 04:36
who cares about the tires - everyone has to use them. doesn't matter if they are faster or slower. If they don't pop your on top!!

Valve Bounce
21st November 2010, 09:12
Does anyone care that my Cross Country runs on Pirellis?

Valve Bounce
21st November 2010, 22:34
I can only answer that with a question Valve... Have you driven it around Abu Dhabi in the last week? :p

Well, No! but I did drive over to Carlton for morning coffee at Brunetti's. http://www.brunetti.com.au/BrunettiCarlton.aspx

Easy Drifter
22nd November 2010, 03:25
Daniel's hatred for Pirelli is so extreme I can only assume he had one of their condom's fail at an inopprortune moment. :eek:

Sorry Caroline!

MrJan
22nd November 2010, 09:31

Maybe. Although Bridgestone making a soft tyre that can go as far as Button took them in Abu Dhabi is just ridiculous, even if he was helped by smooth driving and cooling temperatures.

I'm going to wait and see with Pirelli, it'd be idiotic to write them off before we even see them race. Fousto's actually right for a change, if the tyres aren't dangerous then who gives a ****? I just want to see some proper racing for a change.

Mark
22nd November 2010, 10:24
Does anyone care that my Cross Country runs on Pirellis?

The only 'Cross Country' I know of are trains, do you own a train?

555-04Q2
22nd November 2010, 10:41
The only 'Cross Country' I know of are trains, do you own a train?

I think Volvo make a Cross Country model.

Bruce j
22nd November 2010, 11:04
Now that Pirelli is the tire supplier for F1, will they keep the tradition of having two compounds for each race? I've grown to like this.

Mark
22nd November 2010, 12:00
Now that Pirelli is the tire supplier for F1, will they keep the tradition of having two compounds for each race? I've grown to like this.

It's not up to them, it's the FIA regulations that the tyre supplier must supply two compounds and teams must use them both.

I'm not sure you'll get much sympathy for that view here, I wouldn't call it a 'tradition' either :mark:

Daniel
22nd November 2010, 13:10
Maybe. Although Bridgestone making a soft tyre that can go as far as Button took them in Abu Dhabi is just ridiculous, even if he was helped by smooth driving and cooling temperatures.

I'm going to wait and see with Pirelli, it'd be idiotic to write them off before we even see them race. Fousto's actually right for a change, if the tyres aren't dangerous then who gives a ****? I just want to see some proper racing for a change.

I agree somewhat. But Pirelli made tyres in the WRC that were falling apart.....

motetarip
22nd November 2010, 13:15
2 posts into the forum and clothes-lined by the admin! Ouch! :)

Sonic
22nd November 2010, 14:53
2 posts into the forum and clothes-lined by the admin! Ouch! :)

LOL. Well at least no one pedantically pointed out there is a Pirelli thread already running, although, there is you know ;)

Welcome to the boards.

I am evil Homer
22nd November 2010, 14:53
To quote our legal blurb at work: "past performance is no indicator of future returns"...

Robinho
22nd November 2010, 15:33
i'll stick up for you, i quite like the 2 compound thing too, its adds a little bit of something where there would be nothing

MrJan
22nd November 2010, 15:37
I agree somewhat. But Pirelli made tyres in the WRC that were falling apart.....

http://cdn.images.autosport.com/specials/60years/photos/large/mcrae95.jpg

They've also got it right, therefore I'm happy to actually wait and see what they do.

nigelred5
22nd November 2010, 17:32
baah, give me a good ol tire war!! ;)

mstillhere
22nd November 2010, 18:22

So far several pilots of different teams have liked the new tires. Why are you guys saying that Pirelli tires are not that good?

Daniel
22nd November 2010, 18:24
http://cdn.images.autosport.com/specials/60years/photos/large/mcrae95.jpg

They've also got it right, therefore I'm happy to actually wait and see what they do.
Have you ever compared the amount of wins that Pirelli have to the amount of wins that Michelin have? Michelin have almost always been the best on tarmac and other than rough gravel like Acropolis Michelin have usually been the best on gravel too.

MrJan
22nd November 2010, 19:33
Have you ever compared the amount of wins that Pirelli have to the amount of wins that Michelin have? Michelin have almost always been the best on tarmac and other than rough gravel like Acropolis Michelin have usually been the best on gravel too.

Is that the same Michelin that turned up to that ridiculous USGP? ;) Just being flippant with all of this, no point deciding what the tyres will be like until they do some laps in anger at the start of the season.

Daniel
22nd November 2010, 19:35
Is that the same Michelin that turned up to that ridiculous USGP? ;) Just being flippant with all of this, no point deciding what the tyres will be like until they do some laps in anger at the start of the season.
Yes. The same Michelin that offered to bring revised tyres over on a plane, the same Michelin that the FIA refused to give the single tyre contract to for the WRC, the same Michelin that had a rather fantastic tyre war with Bridgestone before the single tyre supplier came in.......

Retro Formula 1
22nd November 2010, 19:36

On the last few years, Michelin haven't won a thing in WRC :p

Are you saying that Pirelli won't be able to produce an effective tyre because of performance in a Rally? I've heards some bonkers things in my time but.....

I think Pirelli have done a good job in WRC when you consider they were asked by the FIA to produce a durable tyre rather than one focused on performance and the fact they have had only 42 failures out of 26,960 supplied units is pretty impressive for any manufacturer.

And there was me thinking you were more of a Rally fan with only recent experience of F1. :crazy:

ioan
22nd November 2010, 21:17
Yes. The same Michelin that offered to bring revised tyres over on a plane, ....

To late..., typical French! :p

wedge
22nd November 2010, 22:23
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-pirelli-tire-gets-mixed-reviews

Schumi and Massa were loving the Pirellis since the fronts have more grip than Bridgestones'. Adversely but not that surprising, Rosberg wasn't impressed.

Buemi gave some interesting feedback:

"We did our best start of the year," the Swiss told Auto Hebdo when talking about his first impression of the Pirellis.

"You can also brake very hard and very late. On acceleration, the traction is poor and you lose a lot of grip, and the wear also seems higher.

"And on a long run the soft tires wore much less than the hard tires. In my opinion, they (Pirelli) made a mistake and they've already said they'll change it.

"The front tires are good. They respond well," added Buemi.

Said Pirelli's Paul Hembery: "According to what we have learned in Abu Dhabi, we will change the compounds, but not the construction."

And he added: "The drivers especially enjoyed the performance of our front tire, which is an area that we have worked on considerably."

jens
23rd November 2010, 14:42
I know conclusions can't be made at the moment, but what I want to say, is that I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari was among the most efficient teams in adapting to Pirelli tyres. In recent season we have seen that Ferrari has tended to be quite "easy" on tyres, which has seen them struggling a bit more in qualifying trim than in the race. And if the new tyres are indeed less durable than Bridgestones, it would bode well for the "easyness" of Ferrari's car design.

Dave B
24th November 2010, 17:51
This'll please Daniel, they're looking at a WRC return:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88478

Daniel
24th November 2010, 18:02
This'll please Daniel, they're looking at a WRC return:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88478
Hooray! More of the worst tyres in the WRC in compounds which make for boring competition......

I remember back in ye olden days when drivers had to take care of their tyres..... not anymore.....

Retro Formula 1
25th November 2010, 10:06
Hooray! More of the worst tyres in the WRC in compounds which make for boring competition......

I remember back in ye olden days when drivers had to take care of their tyres..... not anymore.....

Again I ask, why are you blaming Pirelli? I have no loyalty or beef with them but the FIA dictated what characteristics they wanted in WRC, not Pirelli.

The FIA wanted a control tyre with high durability and minimal failure.

ShiftingGears
25th November 2010, 13:40
The FIA wanted a control tyre with high durability and minimal failure.

Agreed.

Merely meeting a demand.

Tyre wars can be quite exciting but it can also be quite a pain as a team can have the best car out there, but their performance is pretty much dictated by an outside company, in this case, the tyre manufacturers. I find this, in some scenarios, quite an unpleasant predicament.

I would much prefer 3 or 4 compounds available throughout the weekend, without a mandatory switch during the race. Stupid rules like that just annoy me.

Easy Drifter
25th November 2010, 13:44
Daniel seems to have an unreasonable hate on for Pirelli.
I do not think he will ever accept they can make a good tire even when they produce exactly what the FIA ask them to.
I can't think of a racing tire Co. that has come up with a flop at some or other.

555-04Q2
25th November 2010, 13:52
I can't think of a racing tire Co. that has come up with a flop at some or other.

Michellin USGP 2005. What a c@ck up!

Daniel
25th November 2010, 13:58
Daniel seems to have an unreasonable hate on for Pirelli.
I do not think he will ever accept they can make a good tire even when they produce exactly what the FIA ask them to.

We will see. I would be VERY surprised if Pirelli's tyres are anywhere near as good as Bridgestone's........

pino
25th November 2010, 15:14
We will see. I would be VERY surprised if Pirelli's tyres are anywhere near as good as Bridgestone's........

Daniel, just a curiousity...did you had an off with your 500 wearing some Pirelli tyres since you hate them so much ? :p :

Easy Drifter
25th November 2010, 16:31
And I fouled up my post. It should have read that hasn't had a foul up at some time.
Me bad.

UltimateDanGTR
25th November 2010, 16:46
So far several pilots of different teams have liked the new tires. Why are you guys saying that Pirelli tires are not that good?

we are not saying the tyres are bad, rather we suspect that they aren't too good due to the recent announcement from Pirelli.

however, they seemed to put up a good show in abu dhabi last week, so kudos to them and we will see how it goes...

Bagwan
25th November 2010, 18:26
I don't get the argy-bargy here at all .

What's a good tire , kids ?
What kind of compound is right ?

In my opinion , a good tire will be one they can't get to the end of the race with , unless they treat it like they want to . That means slowing down .

One tire , that might inspire a two-stop strategy , would be best .

That's a tire that some will hate , and the clever will take advantage of .

Sadly , Pirelli will take a lot of stick , as they already seem to be doing , but this will be the only way to create the racing we all crave .
A soft tire that will last the race will not do .

It needs to be marginal .

A tire war will only make it worse , or , in reality , too good .

Give them a shatner tire , and let them deal with it .

Daniel
25th November 2010, 19:22
Daniel, just a curiousity...did you had an off with your 500 wearing some Pirelli tyres since you hate them so much ? :p :

Well funnily enough my 500 wears Bridgestones in the summer (Potenza's in fact!) and Vredestein's in the winter. When the Bridgestones are finished I'm definitely thinking of getting some Pirelli P Zero Nero's so I have nothing against Pirelli as a company.

Pirelli through their history in the WRC have very rarely been superior to Michelin. That's my opinion, I feel it's relevant here and I'm sticking to it ;)

wedge
25th November 2010, 20:07
I would much prefer 3 or 4 compounds available throughout the weekend, without a mandatory switch during the race. Stupid rules like that just annoy me.

Agreed but its logistically and economically pointless.

mstillhere
1st December 2010, 23:06
Here is what James Allen thinks about the new Pirelli's. He is not my favorite journalist but I tend to agree with him on this one:
http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=James_Allen&id=49781

ShiftingGears
2nd December 2010, 09:23
Is he anyone's favourite journalist? :p

I think he is quite a good pundit, but an awful commentator.

555-04Q2
2nd December 2010, 10:25
but an awful commentator.

Now there's an understatement !!!!!

wedge
4th December 2010, 01:22
I don't get the argy-bargy here at all .

What kind of compound is right ?

In my opinion , a good tire will be one they can't get to the end of the race with , unless they treat it like they want to . That means slowing down .

One tire , that might inspire a two-stop strategy , would be best .

That's a tire that some will hate , and the clever will take advantage of .

Sadly , Pirelli will take a lot of stick , as they already seem to be doing , but this will be the only way to create the racing we all crave .
A soft tire that will last the race will not do .

It needs to be marginal .

A tire war will only make it worse , or , in reality , too good .

Give them a shatner tire , and let them deal with it .

Pirelli will use a greater step between the compounds but bringing the wrong tyres will possibly damage the credibility of the brand.

jens
4th December 2010, 16:11
I think he is quite a good pundit, but an awful commentator.

I don't think he was that bad, IMO clearly superior to Legard for example. Allen's main problem was that he may have got overexcited at times, which culminated in phrases like "sennaesque".

Bagwan
4th December 2010, 17:16
Pirelli will use a greater step between the compounds but bringing the wrong tyres will possibly damage the credibility of the brand.

Bringing the wrong compounds damages the credibility of the sport .

It a "rock and hard place" issue , where the difficulty is finding the best of both worlds .
It should be hard to get the tires to work .
It should be difficult for all .

When they put the grooves into the tires , the intention was to slow them down , giving them a new complication with which to deal .
It didn't work , as they had a war , and tires won the championship .

If Pirelli can give them a hard tire that will just barely do the distance , and a soft that absolutely cannot , they will have done the job .
If the teams complain constantly , the FIA should laud the company for making the race more difficult and exciting .

It is the point where the power converts to speed , and fish-tailing and 4-wheel drifts are the enemy .
Make them deal with the enemy , and congratulate the company that gives us this kind of excitement .

wedge
5th December 2010, 15:49
Bringing the wrong compounds damages the credibility of the sport .

It a "rock and hard place" issue , where the difficulty is finding the best of both worlds .
It should be hard to get the tires to work .
It should be difficult for all .

When they put the grooves into the tires , the intention was to slow them down , giving them a new complication with which to deal .
It didn't work , as they had a war , and tires won the championship .

If Pirelli can give them a hard tire that will just barely do the distance , and a soft that absolutely cannot , they will have done the job .
If the teams complain constantly , the FIA should laud the company for making the race more difficult and exciting .

It is the point where the power converts to speed , and fish-tailing and 4-wheel drifts are the enemy .
Make them deal with the enemy , and congratulate the company that gives us this kind of excitement .

Oh I completely agree but how would the manage paddock manage having to deal with the 2010 Canadian GP for most of the season? Will they accept the challenge or throw toys out their prams?

N4D13
6th December 2010, 11:28
Is he anyone's favourite journalist? :p
Possibly mine, but I haven't listened to his commentary, so that helps to explain it.

V12
7th December 2010, 10:45

One that wins the race.

When there's actually some opposition, that is.

Bagwan
7th December 2010, 15:06
One that wins the race.

When there's actually some opposition, that is.

See , that's exactly what I don't want .

I want the team who can best manage the tire to win .

When we had Bridgestone and Michelin fighting , we had tires winning .

I rather see cars and drivers win , having had to deal with a stock tire , which win only just hold together .